1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fickle Owners?

Apr 11, 2012

1. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?
      I will admit, I am a sentimental old fool. So, if I liked how the owner presented the doll and how excited they were over it only to see them sell it (sometimes almost immediately), I DO feel a smidge sad. But, that's just how I am with things and I get over it almost immediately. Why? Because it's THEIR doll and they can do with it whatever they please. Just because I am super clingy over my own dolls doesn't mean anyone else has to be. I mean, most would view my large (and getting larger) collection as a waste of money simply because I don't actively "play" with them all but that doesn't mean I'm going to sell my little-played with dolls just to appease them. So, I feel I owe people with so-called "revolving door collections" the same respect. :D

If you've done this, have you ever felt like...guilty at all?
      I have yet to sale a doll and probably won't because, again, I am a clingy person. Though, so far, I have managed to buy only the dolls that inspire me and, therefore, I am currently pretty happy with my collection. Now, if I bought every pretty doll I saw and liked, yes, I'd probably have to end up selling some due to space. Plus, there are a lot of pretty dolls I've seen advertised that I REALLY wanted at the time but, then I see owner pics and I don't feel inspired by them at all and probably would've regretted the purchase and want to sell them instead of just keeping them around.

What are your own personal reasons for letting one go for another?
      See above. Those would be the only reasons I would let one go for another. But I'm trying my best to go with my gut on purchases so that I DON'T have to let them go. :D

--------
      In the end, though, what it comes down to is people can do whatever they want with their collections. To be honest, I don't believe in collection policing. We should all be able to enjoy our collections exactly the way we want to. :D

2. Aside from my first doll, which was a gift from my husband, I've bought my other dolls by eBaying books, jewelry, OT dolls ... things that no longer held particular meaning for me and were just taking up space. My last doll I bought, in part, by selling a bjd and a head. I don't think it's fickle at all. It's a matter of finding out what works. You really can't tell, until you've got the doll in your possession, if it's the right doll.

3. I don't think it's any of my damn business why anybody does anything with their dolls. Nor is it anybody else's damn business why I do anything with mine.

Some people sell because they found a better doll. Some people sell because they've stopped liking the doll. Some people sell because they need the money or space. Some people sell because that's just the way they like to shop, revolving-door style. Who cares?

I think it's creepy to care.

Hah! Well played, madame. :lol:

4. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?

I don't feel any particular way about it. It's their doll and they can do what they want with it.

I wouldn't sell one that I wasn't 100% sure I would never miss.

I've never done it.

5. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?
      -It happens often enough that one knows that it makes people who didn't get the 'almost new' doll when it first came out, hope for the secondary market.

Never done this. Sold dolls but not really directly to reshell a character.

I have got rid of dolls right away because they didn't work out for the character as much as I thought they would or hoped. Which then I may find another doll to replace the character but it's never been must remove doll to replace with new better version. I did once do a character re-shell but it was not for a new doll/mold but an old one that I had forgotten about. (I had wanted the character to be in that mold when I first started then forgot about it. Remembered later when I already had a doll as the character, thus re-shell).

6. I do feel it's a bit of a shame, but if I want the doll I'd get really excited!
      I have thought about owners doing that, and I have thought to myself more than once; "Well... then why did you buy the doll in the first place?"
      But it is their money, their choice and I should just be happy if they happen to sell a doll that I want for a lower price than the original.

7. My revolving door spins off it's hinge on a regular basis and if that makes me fickle, then yep. I am Merangel (Hello Merangel) and I am a dollaholic.

I keep my money in my dolls, so if a fiscal crisis comes up a doll has to go down. In the meantime, they're a lot more fun to have around the house than a savings bond.

And if a friend needs some cash I don't mind selling a doll to help her out, either.

And if a new doll comes out that grabs my heart and whispers in my ear (you know what THAT feels like!) then I look around for a volunteer to hit the road so I can place my order.

There are worse thing to be than fickle, so it doesn't bother me a single bit if people roll their eyes when one of my dolls hits the marketplace. The only thing that bugs me is when they don't sell o.~

8. Ahh, okay then. I only wanted to see how others felt because owners put sentimental value in their dolls, so I found it weird that people would buy and re-sell so rapidly at times. I didn't expect it so much. However, the reasons are valid, I would have to be in the same situation to truly understand.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make anyone feel guilty! I was wondering if anyone would feel to, because they had to let one go.

9. If it's not our business, what is the point of dolly debate? If you ask me, I think some of the topics here precisely question people's motives. DOA is the dolly community and I don't feel it's absolutely wrong to observe. Whatever the case, I truly wasn't trying to be nosy, but i guess I accidentally may have pried in too deep at least for some people. I was only inquiring and it's their choice if they want to share.

10. Fickle people have issues to resolve with themselves beyond just doll ownership, really. But due to the expensive nature of the doll hobby, it can be a more extreme outlet..

I think the only time I get irked about it is when I see people who buy the newest limited doll just because its new and shiny and expensive, like completely on a whim, and then sell it away later like it never mattered. This sort of behavior can highly reflect the way they are with other people, not just dolls.

Everyone's going to have personal opinions on the matter, and while its not anyone's business what one does with their dolls, everyone's going to have their own viewpoints based on what they would do, and sometimes the way we treat our personal possessions can be a mirror into how we treat the people around us and our personalities.

I always make absolutely sure I want a doll in a long term sense before I click that purchase button.
      I put a lot of personal value into my possessions.

11. Going back to the orginal post, I think it is also worth noting that you may not be getting the whole story on the sales thread.
      More than once I have been considering selling a doll for a long time before I actually do it, and the release of a new doll is often the push I need to finally do it. But I'm not going to say all that in my sales thread. You may only read "I'm selling this guy because I need money for a new doll", but what I mean is "I've been considering selling this guy for a long time, but I'm lazy and haven't posted him up, there is a new doll I've been looking at that I think will fit into my family better and I could use some extra funds to help me get it, so I'm finally going to post this guy for sale even though I really should have done it a month ago when I decided to sell him...".
      No one wants or needs to read all that.

12. Ephemeral_Dream ~ You didn't offend me at all. As you said, we choose to respond to a topic and I thought your's was worth the effort of a reply simply because there are many people out there ready and willing to condem their dolly brethren. I didn't really assume that you were one of them, but rather, that you are interested in how people view the "revolving door" concept.

13. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?
      I can't really judge them because I used to do it all the time :sweat

no. they are just dolls. they are not gonna be sad because their "mommy/daddy" abandonned them! -_- I do feel kinda shallow though. the owners I admire the most are the ones with less than 5 dolls and that most of their dolls have been with them for a long time. and they take the time to make the doll perfect! I've never had the patience to do that, nor the talent to create something interesting. so I would get bored of my dolls quickly...

as I said, because since I am unable to make cool characters or even just cool designs, I would get bored of my doll quickly. I could not bond with any so everytime a newer and prettier face showed up; yay let's try this one out!
      and limited editions has always put a kind of pressure on me. even though I don't like them that much, I tend to get "OMG it's my only chance!! QUICK before it's too late!!!" :sweat

I'm not even sure how you can compare the two! they are not the same thing at all O_o

14. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?
      Who am I to judge?

I used to. Now I just accept it. I've purchased 84 dolls in the last 5 years. I own 23 right now.

Lots of reasons. I got bored, I just didn't like him/her. I want something new. I've sold them just because I was cranky at one. Fickle. That's me.

15. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?

I dont care. I do it too :P

No. Its a doll. I do sometimes feel a little bad that I wont have the doll anymore because I do like them, but I figure having a doll for even a short amount of time is good experience. With every doll that comes through I get a little more knowledgeable about jointing systems, posing, resins, etc

Usually they just dont groove with me for one reason or another. Ive never had a 'bad' doll, just dolls that I like less than new ones, as it turns out.

16. The only time it effects me in any way is when it's a doll I want. Then, YAY! I chance at a doll I might otherwise not be able to get! Otherwise I don't pay much attention to who's selling what or why. I could see myself selling a standard doll if I had to get quick funds for an LE or some other doll that only comes up once in a blue moon and then just saving and buying the standard doll again later if desired. Dolls, like any hobby, are there to be enjoyed however the owner likes, including having a steady turnover if that's what they want.

17. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?
      I don't really care. It's up to the seller to do as they wish; i mean at the end of the day THEY paid for the doll so they can do whatever they want. If it's a limited doll or a doll that is no longer being produced for some reason, they're giving a chance for someone else to grab that doll. No loss is being made i guess.

Yes and no. Yeah i did this but no i didn't feel guilty. I did this with my Soom Sabik, Soom Saiph and Supia Rosy because they weren't my main characters. I wanted to only get the dolls that were my real main characters.

I may not want the doll but maybe someone else would.

18. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?
      None of my business, but if it's a doll I want, I get super excited- if I'm just browsing and come across it, well, I do feel sympathy in a sense. It would be awesome to just own all of the dolls one wanted without ever having to sell one due to a number of reasons- so if I ever see someone selling a doll they have attachment to, well, I just feel bad they're having to let it go, but I can totally understand the numerous reasons why they may want to.

For the first two dolls I sold, yes. I'd had my first boy for 3+ years, and the other doll was only around a few months, but it was the second (and first yo!) I'd gotten. I was just not bonding with them, and I was tired of having them around and trying to get them "just right" so I sold the.

I usually don't sell dolls with the intent to buy another in mind (usually), but a lot of factors can come into play, and it's usually because I want to improve upon what I have. I recently got tired of Volks, so I cut back on my collection to move into another collection. It's that simple. What I was collecting was no longer "fun" for me, so anything I didn't deem important, I decided to let go.

19. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?
      I really don't care, unless it's a doll I have been wanting myself, then it's my lucky day!

Nope, actually I'm very relieved when I've sold a doll.

What are your personal reasons for letting one go for another?
      The main reason I'm selling a doll is because I'm replacing it with another that I like better. It is so true that you can't really get a sense of a doll until you see it in person. Some dolls are perfect right out of the box and some seem that way until you find a better one. I also have limited space and a tight budget = no room for extra dolls, and no money to waste on unwanted ones.

20. How do you guys feel when you see a seller sell away their doll just to get another one?

I don't think anything of it because I do it myself. Unless you have a money tree or an enormous palace to store hundreds of dolls in, selling on older dolls is the only way to buy something new. It seems a little judgemental to call another person you don't even know "shallow" just because they decide to sell on one of their possessions. People invest a LOT of money in BJDs and so if the doll turns out to not be perfect for what they want (a lot of us don't have the opportunity to see dolls first hand before buying and the reality can sometimes be a let down) or perhaps there is a new doll they simply can't get out of their head and letting someone move on is the only way they can afford to get the funds. Maybe they have some kind of emergency and just need the money. I honestly don't mind if they just got bored with the doll because if I'm browsing the MP and the doll has caught my interest, it would be hypocritical for me to judge why they want to sell as I am going to be the one to benefit....

As far as I know, there is no Brownie Badge for caring more for your dolls than the next owner, so no, I honestly don't think "fickle" is a word that ever comes to mind when I browse the MP.

I can't turn "bold" off btw, I copied the questions and now everything is jammed on bold, lol!

Nope!

Some of the reasons I have mentioned above. I don't have limitless funds and usually do a lot of research and put a lot of thought into buying but every now and then I get it wrong. That's pretty rare though and to be honest, tastes change, that's the same for everyone who has been in this hobby for a few years I imagine?