1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First Doll: How much planning went into it? Plan success or foiled plan?

May 26, 2009

1. I looked around and researched, and started saving about 2 months before I bought my first. My plan was to save up and get a MNF Shushu girl, then start saving for 2 boys to eventually, a LONG time later, go with her. You can see by my sig that didn't work out so well. I saw an adorable DZ Mo-2 on the marketplace, had the money, and bought him. I looked at him for a week or more before buying, but wasn't really SURE about it until he was home. I'm really glad I did it that way, though, he's turned out to be the perfect doll (and perfect character) to be the first one here.

I swear I'm finally ordering that Shushu girl soon. I'm just waiting on a summer Fairyland event!

2. Even with money to throw around, I've never made an impulse DOLL purchase. Sure there have been plenty of times where I've been searching sites and impulse bought 20 pairs of sunglasses or 10 guitars or a few sofas.... but when it comes to dolls, I have 9 characters worked out in my head and I refuse to buy unless I find one that matches.

I have 8/9 figured out and in a few weeks I'll have 7/9 home. So... yeah.

My first doll was a Delf Chiwoo from LUTS. He fit the character design of my doll Huntyre to a T (whatever that means) so I bought him and keep him near me to this day.

Success, I suppose. ^__^

3. I bought my first BJD back in May or so of 2005 when BJDs were not so well known. I wasn't aware there were different companies. I wasn't aware there were any forums on the subject. I came across a site that sold Volks dolls (this was before VolksUSA) and bought the only they had in stock. That was my Volks SD Nono. I actually still really like her though because I have a fondess for her anime like features.

4. I had planned to buy a Dana girl from Angel Region, but then on impulse I bought a Lishe instead because I fell in love with her mold on DOA. I bought clothes first and then the doll. That was a far as I had planned as far as getting my first doll went.

5. My first boy was meant to be a Yder, for months I was going to get him but then I followed a link to migidoll and it happened to be a order period. I then went and researched; finally bought on what was probably the last day of the order period. I'm glad I started out the way I did though, it ended up being much cheaper to buy a great head and then the cheaper body to match.

Since then I've only bought dolls on my wish list and when the timing has been right :)

6. I suppose I count as impulse for buying Tanal. I learned of BJDs through Sims 2... spent a week looking at company websites while repeatedly recalculating my budget... decided there weren't any bodies that particularly caught me, so since the Domuya was on massive sale at the time (half-price body and half-price shipping) I jumped in and ordered it... then spent another week staring at heads. The head choice was funny too, I was torn between a few others, but (on S2C) Shimmeringcat made mention of having seen elsewhere that I was an Ai no Kusabi fan, and was I considering making a fan doll for that... which lead me to looking at what heads could do Iason or Riki... which lead me to two DiM heads I'd skipped over before as uninteresting... but much more interesting once I was really working at looking through the face ups to the underlying shape. Achernar's sculpt is near perfect for Iason Mink, but obviously my doll that came home was having none of that (Tanal is total uke). So, realizing after a week that I was constantly pulling up pictures of Achernar... like as often as all the other heads I was looking at combined... I ordered him, one week earlier than planned (meant to have head and body on separate pay periods, even though I was buying him on my tax refund).

And when it comes right down to it, Tanal was a test of whether I really would like BJDs as much as I thought I would, so it didn't seem as important that I pick exactly the right one... especially since I was viewing BJDs as "a cool new canvas." I think the results of that test are clear...

7. I see that majority of owners act on impulse. I'm not an impulse person at all :) I had a set of qualities and features I want for a doll so I started to search with this stuff. 3 BJDs were selected and finally I made my choice. I also was brave enough to select the doll whose promo image was far from what I wanted. But I was sure I can make proper makeup etc. And this was my 1st doll!
      So I'm a very rational person as you can see :)

I had all the money when I started to search so this was no problem.

Of course when you choose by the features and do the massive research as I did you are saved from unexpected disappointments. That's a pity to read: "She yellowed so fast, and her body mobility sucks but I love her anyway". Such compromises are not for me.

8. My first doll was planned, but not as planned as the dolls that came afterwards. I saw dolls, loved them, wanted one, browsed the internet, saw Chiwoo and it was over XD I just knew that was the one I wanted. So I saved, and I bought him. I saw other dolls I liked in the mean time, but none as much as Chiwoo. I'm still very happy with my choice ^_^ I did think of a name for him, but not a pre existing character-any dolls I got after that were inspired by him and the story I thought out for him. His character changed a lot, but his mold always changes with him, I don't feel as if he has outgrown his mold or anything.

So, I kind of planned..but my planning didn't go much further than 'this is the one, now save up for it' XD

9. My first doll was planned. As we were planning a trip to Japan, I came across a webpage with BJDs and fell in love with them. Through further research I found Volks and DoA. We came back from Japan with SD Yori. It was so exciting.

My second doll was more impulse. It was one of the first IH Cocoris and I simply had to have her.

My third was planned as she would be the first I would do a face-up for, and I had a very clear idea as to her character. DoT Shall is perfect for the character and I had a lot of fun with the face-up even if it was rather intimidating.

10. Plans? What plans? I had the cash, was saving for Dragon Con 2005, and was looking around, and spied El. Mike said he was perfect and boom, got him. I do however wish I had planned for others...cause I got nearly 40!

11. My first doll wasn't planned at all, it was as impulsive as it gets XD
      I had first discovered bjds in 2003 and I knew it was a hobby that I would like so I started looking around for a doll that'd catch my fancy, but none ever did. So for some time I abandoned looking for the "perfect doll". Then in 2006 I saw a bjd in a video game shop in Japan, she was just sitting there and suddenly I was back into browsing sites and looking. It was about that time I got on DOA, so I could get information about everything. I had always liked DOD (my first bjd crush was Si XD) but at that time I had decided that I wanted an SD...and so one day I stumbled upon Homme Ducan, stared at his pics, had a brainfreeze with "it's him!!!" and promptly clicked on the "buy it now" button XD
      He's still my very favorite doll, love him too bits and I don't regret it for a second. His character developed slowly when I got him. Everything turned out perfect.

12. FAIL: By Default

A lot of planning went into my doll. Photoshoping her look, searching all over the internet for her clothes, I spent 6 months saving and planning her backstory. I got her clothes first so she's have something to wear when she got here, I bought her wig and shoes and generally spent most of the day and night thinking about how great it would be when we are together.

Then the company sent me the wrong doll.

13. mekalai, that is such a sweet story about how you got your first BJD! :whee: And y'know, when I saw JunkySpot at the WonderCon in February I was unbelievably tempted to take home one of the adorable BBB Ariels they had, though I had absolutely no plans for one. If I'd had the cash, I just might have anyway! lol.

My first doll was very well planned . . . for the most part. I planned her purchase, what optional parts to assemble her from, what eyes to get her, etc. I was torn between Mimi/F-13 and Nono -- whose head I loved but was not available as an optional part -- but when I saw someone had a Nono head available I decided right then to get it instead of an F-13. But for the most part I had a plan (a cute Volks girl assembled from optional parts) and stuck with it.

Nowadays my doll plans vary from meticulously planned and long longed-for to impulse buys. :sweat There are just so many options now!

14. Originally all I could afford was a DZ mini, but I liked the boys so it wasn't an issue. I was really torn between Megi and Mo (I now have a Mo too xD) but in the end, that default DZ picture of a naked little Megi in a white fur wig just stole my heart. I had to have him.

I bought him a white fur wig, too, since I love how the sculpt looks in it. I was so excited when he came - my first BJD, and I had wanted one for 5 years! He'll always be special to me and my most beloved doll, and I will never part with him.

The rest of my dolls? Total impulse buys xD. Except Tatsuya, who I bought to be Aya but then he turned out to be someone totally different. And I had always planned on owning an El (now I have two xD), an Abadon, and a Vampire Miho, but bought them on impulse when I saw them in the MP xD Everyone else, I saw, I wanted, I got haha.

15. I had never seen a BJD or realized what they were. I think someone had posted once on a friend's LJ about some Volks type female Japanese-anime doll she was in love with and saving for once, and it just went right past me as I don't like female or anime dolls and don't like most dolls that look like Volks. I had a Tensiya Dollshe Saint come up on an eBay search for some totally different item - I can't remember what it was but it had nothing to do with dolls. Anyway I looked at this doll and thought it had a riveting facial expression and wondered why it cost 500-600 dollars. The next day I went back to look at it again and it had sold. I started googling to find if a similar one could be bought from a store and discovered Tensiya, Dollmore (still sold the Dollshe then) and DoA. By the end of the week I'd ordered three of the Dollshe guys. When I get interested in stuff I don't mess around with waiting. :)

Oh, and I still have all those guys as well as all the other Dollshes and Luts and so forth I bought later.

16. I just ordered a FL basic WS Puki Lily... I'd been looking at her for a few days as well as some other dolls. In the end, her endearing sculpt stole my heart and I knew she would be my first real BJD (I have a 'tester' 1/6 dollfie from Volks showing up tomorrow or the next day, which I'll be using for sketching and working on my face-up/ tattoo skills). In a way she was an impulse, but I have a feeling she won't be regretted. I already love her.

17. I'm still planning my first BJD =) I've known about them for several years but only now seriously considerig investing in one. It's a big investment and I want it to be worthwhile, so I'm doing the research and sums and picking the perfect doll (if that's at all possible). I'm currently besotted by DOT Lahoo, so he may be the one. ^_^ But usually I'm obsessed about somethig for a few weeks and then the obsession dies down... so I may wait a little while to see if I'm still interested in a BJD later...

It's my first time at DOA and hopefully my stay won't be shortlived!

18. my first was half impulse half planed, i'd been looking at all kinds of doll and i just stumbled across pipos, when i saw the bao(fox) i like just fliped my lid, i love foxes, i asked mum if i could she said yaa, and he was on his way! you gotta understand that thats REALLY impulseive for me XD

19. hmmm I guess my first doll was a planned impuls buy.............I'll explain

I had been looking for a doll to suit my char, Haplo. and I looked at every companie I could find, I liked buddydoll Mars, Delf Lu wen and a few others, untill........ I saw a banner here on DoA with a doll on it that was perfect!!
      So I pm'd the owner asking what the sculpt was so I could go see where I could buy it. I got an amazingly nice reply to my pm and finally knew Who I had fallen in love with: Dollshe Saint.

well I started saving, and planned to take about 5 months before getting him. and then the company announced They were (at least for quite a while) going to stop selling. I freaked! I had nowhere near enough money to get him on the spot(well I did in my normal college savings....), so I resigned myself to wait until the company would get back, but heared all sorts of things like: They are not comming back, they will come back but with different dolls...... and so on, that got me very worried.

So the agent I knew that sold the dolls stopped selling........ but 3 weeks later I found that luts was also a agent selling for Dollshe, and they still had a Saint for sale. So I did not have to think long, I cracked my college savings and bought Saint

so I had him planned out but he became an impuls buy, And I have not regretted getting him since.

20. I wanted Domuya Sophie as my first doll and a mere 2 days after joining a UK doll forum some1 was offering me theirs second hand. So went on impulse and thought it's now or never, and bought her ^^

planned to get DoC U next... then the Glots appeared (damn you soom!) lol
      And i've just ordered a Lu-Wen vamp head... Yeah... not getting that DoC for a while XD

I normally plan out what i'm gonna do/buy for incoming dolls (have everything planned for my DOC) But my last 2 purchases have been unplanned *fails* XD