1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First Doll: How much planning went into it? Plan success or foiled plan?

May 26, 2009

1. My first doll was a long time in the making. I saw my first BJD probably back in 2000ish (on some Anime site, however I have no idea who or where I saw it) and I wanted one. I didn't really become serious about getting one until 2008 when my friend told me about DoA and then introduced me to the Soom website :sweat at the time Beryl was the MD (however back then I had no idea what MD meant...) so I wanted her but started saving and researching on DoA and other places about dolls. So Beryl came and went and then Topaz was released. I knew I had to have her, even if all I had seen was the teaser photo. So my mom let me put her on her credit card and I payed her back.... Slowly. So she was sorta impulse and some planning? At least i stayed with the same company....

Now I'm bad about seeing a doll I really want and wishing I could get it. I'm now trying to stick with my wishlist that I'm pretty happy with (although it has a lot of dolls on it) and so far I've done pretty well. I'm getting a Dollshe Saint and another Soom Topaz so I've stuck to my wishlist :D (although both of them were impulse buys... Dollshe with the amazing Christmas deal and Soom rereleasing Topaz in NS...)

2. I've loved BJDs for a long time and kept meaning to get one. I hadn't quiiite decided on which one I'd try to save up for, but I knew Migidoll Ryu was my favorite sculpt. I didn't think I'd be able to get him, though, since order periods were so short and only a few times a year...but then I went to Migi's site on a whim and an order period had just started AND I had the money for a head! So I went ahead and ordered him and he came to me before I had anything ready for him, even face up supplies. ^^;; It's been fun seeing him progress from a blank head and I can't wait to see him finished.

3. Haha okay well I had my heart set on a beautiful boy from featherfall, his name was Joe and I was in love. But unfortunately he was not as cheap as I was hoping for, so I kept looking and found Doll family H and its cheaper dolls, so I chose to get a doll family, I miss Joe but I love my new doll, and am probably going to get Joe some time soon :)

4. My first BJD was a Lati Yellow back in late 2009 probably because I saw them on Flickr and Etsy. I doubt much planning went into it, lol.

5. i first stumbled across BJD's somewhere on the internet, i'm not quite sure where. i started looking into things but i was still in school and i couldn't afford it. Oddly enough had i bought then i would've bought a MNF Chiwoo, a doll that now i can't even see myself owning.

About 2 years later my interest was rekindled but i still thought i couldn't afford it, so i started saving for an off topic doll as an alternative. Fortunately partway through my saving i found Resinsoul. My saving plans totally changed when i found their Feng sculpt. Not only was he perfect for my character but he was also relatively affordable. I put my savings toward him and now he's mine.

So really me having BJD's is a result of a plan that failed which turned into an even better plan.

6. I was planning to get an Unoa for 1/2 year.....also saving up for her! I planned her style and watched thousands of face ups an now she is on her way and i hope she will turn out as i want ^^ hopefully she arrives soon ^^

7. My first doll was supposed to be the female lead character for my story but instead turned into her cousin that I recently decided to add because she fits there. She took me months of planning for another character and who knew that she wasn't the right doll for a certain character but rather perfect for another. I would say it was a combination of successful and foiled plan.

8. Oh my! That is similar to what is apparently happening to me.. I thought I'd like a boy and girl of two of my favorite characters, and as a wonderful present my family ordered me the mold I'd been pointing at for awhile.. I thought, yay, here's the boy but he really doesnt fit that character at all but works for a different one entirely >.>
      Now the only problem is the skin tone is wrong but, whatever.

9. I planned my first doll for a long, long time. I can't remember when I first fell in love with BJDs, but I finally decided to buy one. <3
      Most of it was what to buy for faceup supplies, since he's a 60cm Obitsu Gretel.
      I'm making the wig now, since I received Viera just a few days ago.
      His faceup:
      [​IMG]
      Yeeees, he's so feminine, eyelashes-wise anyway. (His eyeshadow is actually grey, not green OTL.) I shouldn't have put in the eyelashes yet, methinks, since I'm not so happy with the eyebrows.

10. I did not plan any of my dolls. I saw them and I had to have them. XD The only thing I did was wait to get the money I needed for them. But that did not take a long of time for me.

11. Some planning, lots of money, and a desire to have Japanese things me likely

12. I've spent a year browsing doll companies, and after half a year or so I fell in love with the mold Orlando from Dollzone, however many I saw I would always return to her. And she has become the first one of my ever expanding family.

13. I planned my first doll. She was a Domuya Fin and she was chosen for her size and figure. She is a perfect model for clothes.

14. I planned for a while and decided on buying two at once. Elena and 4 Sisters, and Elena and I have bonded completely, but I just can't seem to bond with the 4 sisters mold... I don't know what it is. Maybe it's that default faceup, or maybe it was getting two at once. I think it's the 2 at once thing. I always have trouble bonding to two of the same sort of thing. Like when I decided to bring home two kittens, I had my one favorite, and one that was more my husband's cat.

And it sort of scares me that I may not be able to bond to any more dolls, but I have so many sculpts I want...

But at least my Elena and I are great! Even though I am scared to change her eyes and ruin her eyelashes...

15. I had been eying BJDs for years, but when I showed them to my boyfriend last spring, he fell in love and I did too. We came up with this huge future collection that we're still swapping out sculpts for. It'll be a huge project. (: But we both wanted a doll so badly and we live on opposite sides of the country, so we didn't want to start our collection until we lived together or at least in the same state. Not long after coming to that painful decision, we were granted marketplace access. I fell instantly in love with a head for a character not a part of our planned collection. I was in love, so my boyfriend found one too, and we bought them! My first piece of resin was a Soom Gem Laon head.

My boyfriend gave me a Kizdoll Saiy for our anniversary so he would become the character who goes with the Laon. Well, eventually I decided Laon wasn't a mature enough face for Saiy, and I wanted to go the more mature route, so my Laon head, my first doll, had to go. I'm very happy with the reshell, though! I have a Migidoll Jina head and it's working out great. The Laon head is still sitting around my room while it waits for a new home to come along, but I've lost the bond I once had with it.

16. When I first started, it wasn't so much about buying my dream doll, but just having a doll. Because of this, I researched the cheaper companies and somehow came to the decision to get an AOD Chi. I remember looking at a Luwen and thinking "I'd really like him, but he's too much." I also liked B&G, especially Sky, but decided it was out of my price range. In the end, it was a mistake, and i know now that I should have been patient and saved for the one I really wanted.

17. I'd first discovered BJDs in 2006-2007-ish, and when I saw the MNF Shiwoo elf up for sale on the Luts website I was so completely smitten by the sweet face and little pointed ears and I ended up pining for the longest time because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford a doll of my own for quite a while, much less that particular sculpt. Fast-forward to a couple of years later, about a week before I was about to go to a convention and was trying to put last-minute details on all my copslays, and I ended up on DoA more often in my spare time for whatever reason. However, that's when I decided to meander over to the MP and my heart nearly stopped when I saw a MNF Shiwoo elf head up for sale, good condition, default face-up, etc. I knew that I could always buy a body and wig later (and I could actually afford just the head at the time) so I immediately threw down everything and bought him so he could arrive in time before I left, slicing away more than half of my convention budget xD So worth it though. So, a semi-impulse buy? It was unexpected, but I had always planned on getting a Shiwoo...^-^

18. When I finally started browsing with the intention of buying, I knew I wanted a 27 cm doll, and it had to be a Volks Dollfie+. I had seen one at an anime convention and loved the little thing (though the girl's was an Obitsu one). So, I went directly to the Volks site and ordered her.

My second purchase was totally unexpected, though. And I'm saying purchase because "my" second doll was actually for my mom. She saw my little one and went "Do these dolls come in larger size?". I ended up browsing the web for a long time showing my mom the different models and houses, and she ended up deciding on a Bobobie body for me to make into her grail doll, Sephiroth.

So, I cannot say my first doll was unplanned (totally as I wanted to), but my first incursion into the world of sculpting was an absolute surprise...

19. There was very little planning involved with my first doll, and what little there was never really came to fruition. The only thing that came to pass from those original plans was a blue wig, and it isn't even the right shade. :sweat

20. My first doll took forever. I had to plan a lot in terms of money, because I wasn't making very much at the time. I had to plan how much to put aside for the doll and how much I'd keep. It did work, which made me happy because I didn't think I would be able to pull it off. I also needed to prepare my arguments to the parentals about why I'm buying it and why I should be allowed to (I wasn't 18, still not, so it was their card it was going on even though I'd pay them back instantly).