1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll regrets?

May 14, 2010

1. This has been full of great advice and I'm enjoying hearing the first-time experiences. I have probably been staring at the same owner photos of certain sculpts a little too much (darn you Deviant Art!). I sometimes wonder if it's a case of just liking a certain photo more than the actual sculpt due to it just being a really good photo. I've seen some more "candid" shots that really make me amazed at how different they can look just with lighting and such... anyway, great stuff!

Yes, face-ups do have me a little concerned. As I'm new to this, I'll have the factory do it. So it is on my mind. And I've seen some Soony shots that look just as you said, light/pale, and in her case, with unpainted teeth. So that is a concern. I usually make sure I look at owner shots that say "default" face-up.

Haha, that's true. :doh

2. Took me around a year to decide my first doll. I loved Megu but would stray to other dolls. I went back to Megu and haven't regretted it at all. It was like she was little voice in my head saying "Bet you can't find a doll you like better than me." Deciding can be a pain, though, because there's so much eye-candy out there and it's so easy to get seduced. I think you have to go beyond the company & owner photos and look at the sculpt itself and ask yourself do you like the size of the eyes, the shape of the cheekbones. lips etc. From that bare canvas you can imagine so many possibilites.

3. I was such a newb when I was looking for my first doll. Or maybe My friend ruined me. :c
      i would have joined here first, but they were doing the huge maintenance and I couldn't join for a long time.
      I didn't want to spend too much on a doll, so I was looking at the cheapest company my friend knew, which was Angel of Dream. And while I love my doll, I kind of wish I knew about Fairyland. There bodies look really good and the joints are amazing. I didn't really want to get more than one MSD size, but one day I might get one from them... :c

4. I joined this forum solely to buy my dream doll in the marketplace. I had no indecision about it whatsoever. I'm lucky that he did look every bit as beautiful as his pictures showed. My other dolls, well now I'm going through what you are. Some dolls will give you the feeling that there is no other choice to make except to buy. Other dolls, the decision won't be as easy. You will compare. You will scrutinize. You will rethink. You might regret.

5. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I thought I'd really like a mature doll, but I've been leaning towards some tiny ones that are very cute! It's so hard to decide. :?

6. Well, the sculpt I fell in love with was a LE Ethan from Luts. Now, I know some people will say that I should have waited/saved and found him for sale second hand, but having talked to an owner, this did not seem like a viable option....So I searched....everywhere....I actually found one I thought looked right fairly easily and just checked around just in case. I'd decided on Frey from Luts. I would gaze at Ethan's pics on the site and then Frey's pic and sigh. I finally decided that I loved the Frey enough (and he looked enough like my character) to buy him. I was EXSTATIC waiting for him. I would go to Luts' site very often and check my order status and look at Frey's pictures. When I got my Frey home I pulled him out of his box and it was LOVE!!!! After a few weeks I did have one pang of "did I get the right doll?" fear when he was still face-up less, wigless, and mostly naked, but I went to Luts again and looked at the pictures again and was reassured that I'd made a good decision! Sometimes I wonder if I got the right body for him, but it's really grown on me and I wouldn't change it out now, and these are all very minor insecurities.

As for my other character doll, I've found a few sculpts that I like, but they're from companies I've heard mixed or few reviews on, or I don't like their bodies, etc...I haven't bought her yet because of this...

7. Clover is cuter in person then in pictures
      she does need to get restrung and her faceup could get redone as I am her 5th owner
      her ears are a really neat touch, sets her apart from any other bbb erin I've ever seen
      She is a real interesting doll and I am so glad I got to get her, and I'm glad I got to take her to my first doll meet

8. For me, I'd been lusting over bjd's for YEARS before i finally had the funds and found the right one for me. When i saw her, i knew she was for me, i liked everything about her, her price was right, and i loved owner photo's of her. No regrets here!

9. (Hello fellow Central FL resident! *waves*)

I had this issue with my first doll. It took me awhile to settle on one to get, but when I finally did, I continually questioned my choice. Once he got home, my fears were rendered unfounded. There were definitely little things about his mold that I hadn't noticed from the company photos (I had the first of his kind on the boards, so owner photos were moot), but I found them quirky and they added to his personality.

It was years after that my tastes had changed and I sold him for another that I found better fit my new taste. But I was quite happy with him and still love looking at other owners' photos of that mold.

:)

10. I had been involved with BJDs since August of 2008 and there were still regrets with my first doll. :sweat When I opened her the first time it wasn't an instant regret, I really loved her for the first few months. Then the more time I spent with her I started noticing more and more flaws that I just couldn't ignore. Some things I know even if I modded her I wouldn't be happy with her and I couldn't bring myself to mod her since I know there are so many people out there who still do want her in her original state, I know she's many people's dream doll.

The biggest regret is the fact that by reselling her I am taking a couple hundred dollar loss. :( That's pretty hard to not regret, wasting hundreds of dollars. That being said, my second doll was a much better choice and even though I sold her, I was able to find the style of doll I really love from having owned her. So I know every purchase and sale is a learning experience. :) Now I know I won't go wrong with my next doll(s).

11. I agonised over my first doll for months... and then bought something that wasn't even originally on my list for considering. There were no owner pics to speak of, just the store photos to look at... and I had no regrets. Maybe it's because I didn't have too many pre-conceived notions and expectations, it was easy to get used to? And to style it in a way that was pleasing to me.

Sometimes I wonder if less research is not better than more. XD

12. I bought the first sculpt I saw! But on his way to the shopping cart, a friend leapt in to join him, lmao. Both are still here, and very much loved - but there's no shame in selling a first doll if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I think the key to happiness is not stressing out too much or second-guessing yourself. If you really love two dolls, buy the one you're leaning towards more. The other doll isn't going anywhere - if you still want it, you can save up and buy it in the future. Wanting another doll doesn't tarnish your love for the doll you have, in my experience :)

13. Amen to that! they can completely change your view of a doll

14. So... I took 5 years.

Yeah. 5. Years.
      When I got Laz, I had almost changed him to a Lu-Wen at the last minute. I'm very glad I didn't.

My Moon is the best. I love the stupid thing to death. Yes, I've only had him since April, but after longing for 5 years, obviously I knew I made the right choice.

Now, I'm looking at your two doll choices, and /whoa/ are those hard to choose from! I kinda prefer the more open eyed look of the E-an.... (personally)

15. When I first got into this hobby, the first doll I bought was pretty much determined by a long time acquaintence who basically said "I'll put her on my credit card and you can pay me back whenever." (She just desperately wanted me in the hobby so I could do free faceups for her.):sweat Well, that was my introduction, and that doll predetermined any others that I purchased because I wanted to keep them all similar. But after 2 years of struggling to make SD's work for me, I finally realized that their size was just too overwhelming for my small display space, and I made the very difficult decision to simply sell them all and start all over again. This turned out to be a wonderful experience because now no one was pressuring me into buying a certain type of doll and I could take my time to choose what "I" wanted instead. It was just like getting a first doll all over again, only with plenty of BJD experience and company knowledge behind me!

So my new "first doll" was a MSD Batchix Machina robot girl...a very unusual doll that I'd always been fascinated by during my years of cyber travels throughout DoA. Suddenly it was like this fairly rare doll just magically appeared in the marketplace...in lilac skin...without a faceup...good clear photos showing every nook and cranny. After months of difficult deliberation and indecision, it hit me immediately that she was "the one!" When I looked at her, I didn't just see a doll...I saw a character, a friend, a blank canvas with endless possibilities. That's how I knew she was perfect for my first. And I've never regretted that decision one bit. A year and a half later, I'm still madly in love with her.:)

16. Well, I'm planning about "making" my first doll, as creating the design and doing the clothes, buying the wig and cutting in the way I prefer and the make-up/eyes in the colors I want. I don't know if you'd like it, but it's a way to do all in your way. Take a BJD body and create what you want.

Sure, keep it as just a sugestion ^^

17. My first is a Doll Family Lance... as in signature xD So yup, I still have him of course and I wouldn't sell him, no way. I mean, him being my first... its a special bond. He made me choose him and it was a big decision. It was love at first sight though, not much of thinking. I've been surfing through BJD sites for about a year then I accidentaly met him and bamm, he came home, I paid the next day.
      Then I had regrets.. "What if I won't love him? What if he doesn't look the wa he does on photos? I haven't even watched owner photos!!" etc. But he arrived and he is perfect.
      I won't sell him, thats for sure ^^ I have no regrets ^^

18. I agonized for about a month over my final choice, and when my AOD Fei arrived, I was so happy that she was here. I liked her but I didn't realize how young she actually looked until I had her in my hands. I thought that I would eventually get used to her, and 5 months later I'm still unhappy with how young she looks and I'm selling her. I don't regret the money or the time I've spent on her, she was a nice first doll and she allowed me to figure out what I like about BJD's and what I don't. Now I have my eyes on Iplehouse Gentle Cocori or Subia Rosy, and I'm worried about their size but I can't find a MSD whose face sculpt doesn't make me cringe and think "Too young, too young!"

19. check more pics of one doll's owners might be helping . the more pics you see the more clear you will know about one doll in many different aspect. so you can choose the right one ^^

20. It took me near 18 months going back and forward, back and forward before pushing the buy now and paid with CC. (It was a DOD Ducan with outfit, face up BTW)

He is still with me (but upgraded to the new DOI body). No regret there.

But the second doll and third doll were not as successful. Those got re-homed. Second doll was from angell Studio - he was much different from the promo pictures, thus was annoyed by that. But it was really a live-and-learn lesson for me

After 3 years in hobby, I only buy from a handful of companies now since I know I can trust these. Others I just admire pictures from afar.