1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll regrets?

May 14, 2010

1. Unfortunately I'm one of them who regret their choice about their first doll.. It's not that I don't like her (not at all), it's just that I have a feeling I made a mistake for choosing a Bobobie girl just because she was cheaper than the Dollmore Zaoll (which is still my favourite doll.. ).. Then I realised that if I bought a doll without all those clothes and shoes which I don't find necessary anymore (my doll is almost all the time naked because I'm in love with her 'skin'.. :DD) the more expensive doll would cost me almost the same as the one I have now..
      Another thing is that I wasn't certain that I would really like this hobby before I purchased my doll so I didn't really think about it that much.. Now, when I don't have money to buy another doll, I bitterly regret it.. ^^; So I will probably try to sell her..
      But there is one more thing I learnd: despite the lower quality I think ANY bjd can be wonderful.. I didn't really fell in love with her when I saw her photos on the internet but when I touched her fingers.. and everytime I see her on my shelf.. I can't help but think that the world is more beautiful than it seems.. ♥

2. My first BJD I bought was the FIRST BJD I ever saw in my life. I do not regret buying him but I realized that there are many other BJDs out there and from different companies and I felt I lost out on something. In fact, I was so noob that I thought Angell Studio was the one and only BJD company. Only till I started surfing online did I realize my ignorance. My 2nd BJD was probably the 10th doll I saw in my life.... She is lovely but still, I felt it was again an impulse purchase.

As for my 3rd and 4th BJD, I took many mths researching and found myself thinking about them all the time. That's when I knew I had to get them. :)

3. i dont have regret buying my boy. he is soo adorable and the way i wanted. im kinda little disappointed that they mess up one of his finger. But i still him love

4. Although I haven't receive my doll yet (but soon^^) but I wouldn't regret one bit about purchasing my first BJD and I have seen some owner's picture of the doll and I'm in love with it even more ^^.

5. I still have occasional regrets about buying a doll. I do lots of research and very often wait for owner photos before I order, but sometimes I am disappointed when I finally see the doll in person. If I am, I sell it to someone who will love it, and don't worry about it. I would never make mistakes if I could see all the dolls that interest me in person, but it's just not possible with these dolls.

6. My regret with my first doll was that I bought him at a Con without any knowledge of BJD's at all XD I just saw him and he was beautiful, so I bought him. But I do still love him dearly =]

7. I have occasional bouts of regret with my first doll. I sort of had my mind set on a Soom and when the doll I got came out, she was limited so I sort of had to just pounce. In the beginning, I loved that white skin ethereal sort of doll. After I bought my Iplehouse normal skin doll, I found out that I was a more normal skin-fan. So now when I look at my Soom cream white, it is REALLY white and unnatural looking. That is part of my regret. But then I have to pick her up and lounge around with her for awhile, and I'm back in love with her again. :) I also have some twinges of regret when I see a doll I've bought up for sale in the marketplace. lol I wonder if that's irrational. :-P I think my regret is more that I thought I would only have the one chance to buy the doll so I bought it but I might have preferred the choice and possibility of getting another doll as my "first."

I think if I had to give any advice on first doll jitters, it would be that no matter your choice, it's always fixable. So even if you make the leap and buy a doll and then don't like it as much as you thought, you can always sell it. :)

8. Initially I ordered a Ringdoll Ran back in November as my first doll. After paying him off, I realized that I really did not like him the more I looked at his face and body. He was just...a newb mistake, and I planned on selling him upon arrival. But after months with no word, I was getting fed up and thought this hobby was just going to be full of aggravation and disappointment. But when MoC offered a refund, I was quick to take it and order another doll that I really, really did want and arrived in a week (thank you Iplehouse moving sale!). And I'm VERY happy with my second, first choice.

9. I have a very good ability to see the potential in a doll from company or owner photos. I've had several of my dolls be ones that most people didn't think very highly of just seeing their pictures on the for sale pages, and then when I get said doll home, they ask me where it's from and if he's still available. I don't let bad pictures determine whether a doll is any good: you have to look beyond the photography and pose to the nature of the face, the poseability of the body, etc. I guess I take it from a more analytical and mathematical perspective than simply an artistic enjoyment of the features. Because I do a lot of posing for photostories (I got a Sard to stand on his tippy-toes on his hooves on carpet!) and owner images, I'm highly attuned to the way that doll bodies work. It's more a matter of function over form. My first doll was purchased to be a challenge. I wanted to buy a 'less mobile' sculpt than, say, a CP doll with their excellent engineering and see what I could get him to do. I have images of my BuddyDoll Mars performing amazing tricks, including doing a backbend, a handstand and balancing on just one foot. My dolls are for playing with.

10. I see I'm coming to this thread late, so it may be a moot point by now, but I would advise you to save your money and buy one of the higher-end dolls, at least if you're going SD. I made affordability my priority with my first two and got Bobobie/ResinSoul dolls--they are affordable, yes, but they nearly always need to have adjustments made to their elastic. Both were badly in need of re-stringing, something I can't do. I've had someone else re-string the boy for me (ended up having to replace his elastic entirely, his arms've stayed sort of noodley) but the girl still gives me grief and I can't even get her to sit up properly. (If you don't mind the extra bother, go for it! BBB/RS has some really pretty sculpts.)

I've read a lot of people having similar problems with the other SD and 70cm molds, namely that they're rather "floppy." (A friend of mine got a ResinSoul MSD and his seems okay, so it could be that the problem is just with the larger dolls... I have one on order so we'll know in a few weeks whether I'm going to have to get him worked on too. Hopefully not.) If you're looking to go into customization as a major interest, I think a BBB SD would probably be a good first doll though.

Anyway, the dolls I own that HAVE been completely problem-free: IslandDoll, and 5Star Doll. I've seen/handled some Dollzone as well and they're both beautiful and well-constructed. The face-ups are more precise than BBB (which has a sort of watercolor look by contrast), and they have eyelashes.

I love my BBBs dearly, of course, but I have a much easier time dressing/playing with the other two. :sweat

11. I was sure about my first dolls, and even years later, I still love him to death.
      BUT--a first doll is always a bit of an unknown, since it's the FIRST and there's so much you won't be used to...
      I had my doubts and worries, even though I was sure I'd like him.
      I had problems in getting him (got sent the wrong doll at first!). It was crazy waiting and then trying to get it all fixed up. I didn't have the right stuff for him. I was a WRECK! and it made bonding difficult, believe me!
      But I was still excited and was sure I could make it work out well.
      I think I didn't fall totally in love until I started trying out different eyes and wigs and clothes, many days down the line, since it takes a while to get all that stuff together!
      As I played about with him it just got better and better, though! :)

12. This is really sweet. Thank you for this.

13. I'm one of the minority, it seems. I didnt really research much about BJDS before plunging in and buying a doll I like just by looking him. After I ordered him, then I discovered DOA. I found alot of beautiful dolls and it made me think I have made the wrong choice in choosing that particular doll as my first doll.

As expected, although I was really excited by my first BJD, I just didnt click with him, everything I chose for him, wigs/eyes/clothes didnt worked out for him at all. I was frustrated, but kept him around for two years because I didnt want to sell him due to sentimental reasons. I thought about it and decided it's not worth keeping a doll I dont like and ended up selling him. All I felt is relief because although he's a great doll, he just wasnt right for me and two, he found a new home/owner that will love him more than I ever did!

14. I always say I fell completely in love wiht my first doll and had to have him...tha tbeing said I quickly tired of -not him- but his character! I fell out of the hobby quickly. A few months later I re-did his face-up and got him a new wig and such and now he is the doll I always wanted ^^

15. I made the newbie mistake of getting a cheap "fixer-up" head (and then a new body) for my first doll. Luckily I knew someone who could fix her problems with a dremel and face-up. The doll, Ren, is one of my favourites though and I'm glad I rescued her.

16. I'm curious, for those that had a hard time choosing their first BJD, when you did finally settle on a choice and then saw it in person for the first time did you regret your choice? Did you see something new that you didn't notice before in photos or was it better than you expected and all your doubt went away?

I went with my gut-feeling for my first doll. I was almost regretting getting a doll at all, at some point before he arrived, because, well, it's a load of money to spend on something you basically have just sitting around looking pretty (or more like the God of Hellfire, in Luken's case *gg*). Then, he arrived. I opened the box - and wham - he was just perfect. Even better than on the promo pics, in fact, since instead of green eyes, he had blue ones and instead of grey hair, he had black hair and it just suits him so well! I still think, sometimes, that I shouldn't spend so much money on dolls and doll-stuff but I'm absolutely sure I'll never EVER sell any of my dolls again. Especially not Luken.

17. My first doll was Lingfeng from dollfamily and I kind of regret buying a DF body the moment he arrived. lol All the clothes (worth about $100+) I've preordered for him did not fit him whatsoever. TT I was so frustrated but after I learn about other doll clothes company, I got less frustrated. ^^ Hopefully the new set of clothes I got him will fit!

18. I'm glad you asked this question. I'm still searching for the right scult for my first doll >.<
      I've changed my mind so many times...I hope i won't regret the first doll i get :(

19. Just go with your gut-feeling. It's the doll that you don't simply want but WANT. If you keep changing your mind, maybe you haven't found THE doll, yet. ;)

20. Currently Kaelyn (DOC Petsha) is my first and only doll. After seeing her photo on the site for the first time I fell in love, but I still looked around at other dolls to make sure. I just couldn't connect with any of the other pictures so after about a month of looking I ordered her. Sometime during the wait I started to worry about my decision. I didn't see any owner pics I really liked and I became afraid I had made the wrong choice. But then she arrived and well I can't stop staring at her. She just so beautiful and perfect