1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll regrets?

May 14, 2010

1. I order my first doll from Dream of Doll. I fell in love with DOT Ducan after seeing all his pictures and after seeing elf Ducan. I had no regrets getting Ducan because he is what I wanted.:)

2. I regretted my first doll choice after I received my second bjd. First was a tiny second was a msd. And working with the msd was much easier. I have not sold my first doll but thought about it alot.

3. Actually I had something similar occur, but exactly the opposite. I got an msd first then a tiny and later regretted getting the msd. I liked her a lot at the time, but I have to honestly say that the tiny gets almost all of my attention. So I decided that maybe I should just stick with tinies. The other thing that bothered me was that the body and resin color were not quite what I was expecting (there are a lot more owner photos now then there were then, what with it being a newer company). I brought a 5stardoll Emma as my first and a Pukifee Luna as my second.

4. I love my first doll, Rhiannon, to pieces. I bought her in December 2010, but I wanted her since she first came out in November 2009. I waited over a year to get her and it really helped me make up my mind. However, my second doll (DIM Kassia) I thought about for 2 days. I ordered her and while I was waiting for her I started having a bad feeling about the purchase. I didn't look at enough owner pictures and when I finally unboxed her, I felt awful. First of all, her company face up was horrific. She looked positively evil, not mysterious like in the company photos. Even after I redid her face up and she looked sweet I was so scarred by that initial box opening that I sold her about a week later.
      It was a horrible first impression that I could never get past. Strangely enough, I miss my Kassia and I think about ordering her or Bellose again, but blank this time.

5. To be honest, I have chosen my first doll by price. It was the cheapest one I could find and she had a pretty face. For someone with not much money, it was ideal even though she wasn't my dream doll which was 500 euro.
      A month after I ordered her, she didn't arrived yet and that made me doubt. I had the idea that I ordered the wrong doll and better saved for my dreamdoll.
      But when she arrived, I was (and still am) totally happy with her and I still am. :)
      The only problem is that I wanted to sew and I have chosen a tiny for the price. An MSD or SD would have been nicer to make clothes for. If I had knewn that...
      I guess that's my only regret about my first doll. ^-^

6. I was between A MSD or SD. Finally I had to choose. I was hasty and picked the SD. But when I worried that I had gotten what I really wanted until she got here. It was love at first sight. I take her everywhere now, I plan on getting her another body, but I love that face. And her character grew on me. She is the only one I will keep even if things get tight.

7. I fell in love with tiny dolls, though I found it really hard to make clothing for them or find custom clothing for them online. I would get a larger doll next time.

8. I was very unsure when I bought my first doll, and regretted not thinking even more before hitting the order button, and when she arrived, I was even more unsure if she was right. But I gave her eyes and a wig fitting the character she was going to be. She was a Doll-Love Yoyo, now I've had her for 3 months, and I love her more day by day. After two months, she had turned almost human to me, and we have a strong emotional bond. I have no regrets whatsoever anymore, and wouldn't exchange her for anything

9. I started looking at BJDs about 3 months before I ordered my BBB Sprite. I think her sculpt is beautiful and I love sewing for her! She goes to work with me and rides on the seat next to me in my car. I have no regrets and think it was actually one of the most fun things I've ever bought. MSD is the right size for me. I like the look of them, and they can fit in your bag to go places (My sprite rides between the straps on my purse. There are a lot of cute patterns to be had online for making them clothing, too. I have just purchased a DZ Mo from the marketplace here to keep my Sprite company at home. My next purchase will probably be a tiny, because they are so cute! I would like to get a Pong!

10. i always wanted a DOD Sha, but didn't have the money. i guess my biggest regret was that i didn't order him first, but i did eventually buy him. i instead ordered a cheaper, though still lovely, DollFamily doll. i hunted down pictures, fretted about my choice and stressed over costs, but finally went through with it.
      aside from that, though, it was a wonderful experience.
      i wish i'd taken more pictures, and i wish i hadn't been alone when i first got him. :/ box openings with friends are amazingly fun.

11. I bought my first (and only) BJD around christmas/new years (so everything was on sale.) I contemplated on which face to get for over a month. What made me finally decide which one to get was a picture I found of the mold without makeup. I knew I could do something good with it.
      In my case, there are practically NO flattering pictures of my doll anywhere on the internet. Even I can't seem to take good pictures of her. But in person, she's gorgeous. I love her to bits. I do have a few regrets, though, and I don't think I'll be keeping her forever.
      I should have gotten normal skin tone instead of white. I should have looked into her size a bit more, because although she's a good size for dollhouse miniatures, she's impossible to buy clothes for. My biggest regret is that I didn't realize how incredibly difficult it would be to photograph her eyes in any detail. It's evident in practically every photo of her mold.

12. My only regret is that my first BJD doesn't get a lot of attention since he came with everything. My second BJD came in parts and from different companies so she got a lot of attention.

13. I was simply looking at BJDs generally, without an eye to buying one, when I stumbled on the Pipos website and saw their "Demon". Had to have. Began to panic, because it seemed like a lot of money and I don't buy myself big things.

I obsessed over all of his pictures for weeks, finally came up with justification to buy, bought, and then waited. Obsessed over all of the pictures some more in the meantime, ordered and made clothes, decided on eyes etc.

As I ordered him with faceup, I was expecting to be greeted by a slightly different doll to the one in the images, and to have to adjust accordingly. When he finally arrived, I was momentarily taken aback by how similar he was to his pictures, rather than by any differences. (Pipos certainly do an amazing job!) However, although he looked the same as the photos, he sort of felt different, quite unlike the character whom I'd imagined.

So, he asserted a surprising "personality" right away, and I love him. I think I chose well, and am glad I spent so long obsessing- it made me appreciate his arrival all the more.

14. I was thinking about it a really, reaaaaaaally long time XDD.

First, I have troubles with the measurements: I really like realistic BJD, but the most realistic are the most big too T^T
      I was watching diferent molds and doll shops for months... and finally I took a big boy, Cloud. I like SDs, I supose XD

15. I don't know about the most realistic always being the biggest, though. I find some of the SD size to very anime looking, esp Volks, although that is not a bad thing, just a preference! And I have seen some MSD-size dolls that are fairly realistic looking. It just depends on the look you want, to pick the company that has your style in mind. There are no right or wrong answers to what to get for a first doll.

One of the best things about this hobby, I'm finding, is that these dolls do typically hold their value if well-cared for. So you can always sell if you change your style of doll that you want.

16. At first I was sure I want to buy an MSD elf girl as my first dollie, but then I saw an SD elf guy whom I wanted to bring home too! Then I figured out they will be siblings and both of them will come home one day. :sweat
      After that, I saw a human SD boy...and somehow I knew he's the first. I thought about whom I should buy first a lot, and he won - and I totally love him! :D
      There were times when I though "What if the MSD girl came home first?" But I have no regrets about choosing the SD boy, and the girl will come home later. :)

17. I definitely have regrets. I started this hobby about a year ago and bought a Pukipuki off eBay thinking it was a Pukifee. I was so disappointed. Since then I have bought four dolls that I wish I had waited on as I had to resell them. I seem to have a problem with impulse buying so I try to wait a bit now to no avail.

18. I really really didn't like my first doll when I got her. She was my second choice, but being $100 cheaper she's the one I decided to go with. She posed horribly and her skin was so yellow-tinted. I was so disappointed that I left the hobby for about two years. I didn't want to sell her even though she just sat untouched and unnamed in a box because it felt like I should make the bond happen, but it never did. I finally realized I wouldn't miss her if I sold her, so I sold her and put her towards my first choice doll all along. Now I have zero regrets about my second first doll. :-)

19. I'm another believer in "buy what you love". I fell in love with Megumi as soon as she arrived; she's the only doll to date who chose her own character (all the others are shelled versions of existing characters, even Chaeri). I don't regret her for a moment...I only regret that I lost her first incarnation (well, she was stolen) and I had to scramble like hell to replace her.

20. When I ordered Ardese, something just told me that it was the right thing to do. :) I looked at other dolls while waiting for him and would say to myself, "maybe I should have gotten that one...?", only to look back at his sculpt's sales pictures and I was instantly reminded of why I fell in love with him.
      When I got him, he wasn't exactly how I pictured him and his eyes weren't the right colour yet and his wig that I ordered for him was too small, so I fell a little out of love and started to worry that I made the wrong choice. But after spending some time with him and being patient in getting the right sized wig and coloured eyes, I've grown to love him very much.

I understand that indecisiveness though, as I am quite an indecisive person generally in life. *_*