1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll stories!

Jul 25, 2016

1. When I was a kid, I loved my Barbie, but was frustrated by her lack of posebility. Later on, in high school, I began Googling poseble dolls and stumbled across BJDs. They were cool, but the price scared me away. Then in college I began obsessing over them, and joined this forum for the sole purpose of learning a little more about them. Next thing I knew, I had two SD heads on order. And the rest is history.

2. I started with toys and models and such. These figures called Busou Shinki. I realized my favorite part of them was dressing them up and making dioramas for them and that sort of thing, so it was a pretty short leap to dolls, with a minor pit stop with Picco Neemo.

3. My friend bought a small, off-topic doll and started talking about BJDs. She showed me some of the sights online and I was absolutely floored...by how expensive they were!!!! I could NOT wrap my head around it, at all.
      Until she invited me to join her at a doll meet up. It was so different to see them in person and all the work people had done and I was floored for an entirely different reason. After that, I started looking online more and fell in love with the Kid Delf Ani from Luts.

Didn't think I'd ever actually be able to buy one, though. So it was just... lots of shopping and planning, that's it.

Then my husband and I were getting married and his dad gifted us with a pretty decent amount of money. After we go home, my hubby looked at me and smiled and asked if I still wanted that doll I'd been looking at so much!

He came in the mail about a month later!! My first doll is almost 6 years old and pretty yellowed on his hands, but I just love him so much! And now I have.... 6 all together, plus a floating head.

4. I discovered Pullips and Taeyangs, and PullipStyle also sold Ringdolls which I happened across. They caught my eye as being interesting, but I thought the price was not something I could come to terms with. I kept coming back to look at them though, and then started looking up other BJDs, and discovered this whole world where I found other dolls and styles that made me realize that this might be something I want to jump into. I saved for a Dollshe and bought a Saint during their 1/2 off sale, but it took over a year for him to arrive so I ended up buying my grail, a Soom Amber, in the meantime and fell in love with them!

5. I was a non-doll person pretty much my entire life... then I saw these beautiful work-of-art dolls online, and I thought they were really beautiful as photo subjects, and that it was probably very fun to dress them, collect small props, find backdrops that felt in-scale, etc, but it was more just something to appreciate someone else's artistry with.

Then at an anime convention, my sister (a doll person from birth) saw some in person and fell head-over-heels in love with them. Got my first doll shortly after she got hers.

6. Growing up, I always owned a good variety of dolls, and there were always lots of female options but very few male. I got into OOAK male dolls on eBay, just looking for ANY adult male doll that wasn't Ken with yellow plastic hair, and accidentally stumbled across Volks one day. No possible way I could afford Volks at the time (though I loooooved F-16), so I started researching other BJD options and ended up with an AoD Chen as my first. My house became a revolving door but more than nine years later, Amir is still with me!

PS- seven years later, I finally got my F-16! <3

7. Love this idea for a thread!
      My reason seems a little long, I first saw one when someone made one to look like a famous person, at first I thought it was pretty but I guessed it was probably just a one off, but then I was on instagram about a year or so later and another one popped up of a different doll and I thought of how great the doll looked so I explored the tags of it and came across the sales tag...
      There I found my first one, I saw him and fell in love instantly. I thought he would be perfect to use for photography and it gave me an excuse to use my hobbies more (sewing & knitting)

8. I saw someone post about their DIM girl on a forum for a musician I liked waaaay back in middle school and while I didn't like the look of the DIM girls, I kept different companies (I love love love Souldoll's aesthetic for example) in the back of my mind for years. Come last christmas, when most family members gave me money, I realised I was only about $40 away from being able to purchase a doll--not one of the souldoll girls, mind, but I saw a review on YouTube for an MYOU doll AND the girl I liked best was both in stock and on sale...

Plus, I've collected dolls since I was about three, so. Matter of time really. :D