1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll w/ or w/o a face-up?

Feb 11, 2011

1. Since my boy was an MSD kit, no face up for me. I learned to do face-ups, though they sucked, and kind of still do, the feeling of finishing one is a good one. It makes them unique and gives you a sense of accomplishment. I think that's the best way. = w =

2. Overall the experience of doing a faceup it's fun, because you can practice and create something unique, even so, I had my first doll with factory-faceup, I wanted to see real life painting faceup to know how it was painted. For the experience eyes on painting, sometimes some effects can't be fully appreciated on pictures and tutorials, so having the first makeup as reference was in my case very useful...;)

3. My first two dolls came with faceups, and then the next um.. all of them until the last one I sent out to get painted.

I'm just now trying my hand at painting them, years later. XD

I think it's better for newbies to get their first few dolls painted. That way they know what a good faceup looks like in person and when they decide they're brave enough to start spraying the MSC they have something physically there to compare to.

4. I got mine without. XD I'm trying to do as much as I can for him myself, no matter how much it might suck. I'm having a lot of fun, though, so I'm happy.

5. I get company face-ups because it just becomes part of their face to me - I don't want to change it.

6. I ordered my first doll (Ai Junior Yeondu) blank, because she was on sale (V-day sale from Customhouse Aidolls, 120 dollars) and I couldn't see spending 33% of the price of the entire doll on just the face-up.

I'm going to school for graphic design and I have a few hundred dollars in art supplies (Pastels, triple thick glaze, acrylics, paintbrushes, sandpaper, colored pencils and the like) so I didn't think doing the face-up myself was that big of a deal. I liked her promotional pics but I don't care for the odd black-fading effect that a lot of the artist for face-up do around the eyes.

Either way, I think its a personal preference. I brought a doll to try out painting on (It was an american doll, she was 12 dollars) and I practiced on her. I think it turned out well, although the eyes were hard since they weren't removable. I think its important to practice before you put it on your real doll though.

7. Probably going to eventually take really close-up shots of my doll's face-up, so if I want to send it to someone, I can see if they can get as close to the original as possible.

8. I got mine with the defalt face up. im still a noob and still learning so i wanted to see what it looked like with a face up. The next one i get will not have a face up. I will attempt to do it myself.... 0_o lol

9. I think first doll just had to be with face up, because when people buy their first they don't have enough experience with doing make-ups, so they can just spoil the doll! My first was with make up, the second would be too. Especially I don't want to risk..

10. I'm going to get my first doll with out. The part I'm looking forward to is the face-up.

11. My dolls have come with face-up, because I have been quite unsure how it will go if I try to do a whole face-up myself. But recently I have begin to think that I want to try it. I have started with some few changes and I believe when I have more time I want to give it a go.

12. I got my first doll with company face-up. My thoughts were that i would like to have a doll "ready to play" with. And i thought that face-ups must be realy difficult, because the doll faces are so tiny.
      My next doll (the 2nd one) will come without a face-up. But i wont do it myself, because his face wont be bigger *smile* (And I have too much hobbies already, with too much supplies... I dont have space for pastels and msc and brushes and les time to try and try and try til the face-up is perfect)
      But he will get a custom face-up from an artist in my country, because the company-face-up is to "fantasy" imho.

Levi

13. I am getting my first doll this month and even though I would love to have her with face up, I will have to buy her piece by piece and paint her my self. I build anime garage kits how hard could it be to point my doll :P

14. My first doll was supposed to come blank, but the company accidentally sent her out with a face up, which was kind of funny/odd. I really like having doll face ups done (or do them myself) so that they look exactly how I picture them. I figure if you're doing it yourself and it's not exactly what you want...just wipe it off and do it again, until you get what you want.

15. I've got three dolls on the way. The first two are with a face up and the third is without, not by choice though. I was told by the seller(evilbay) they didn't have an opening for a face up but I noticed if you buy from their doll site you can have the option of buying her with the face up! Very frustrating!! I have done dolly face ups on a different type of doll and don't feel very comfy doing one on these dolls. Plus I want her to look as similar as possible to her original pic and I can't give that to her. So I'll be hunting down someone for it.

16. I got my first doll with a face-up. I didn't know how to do it myself and I wanted a doll I could play with right out of the box. I don't do anything with unfinished dolls...

But I did buy a practice head and learned to do at least competant face-ups myself. I've actually gotten pretty decent at it too :)

But it's not something I would have wanted for my first doll. And the company face-ups are often very nice.

17. I got my first doll with a faceup. The reason for this was because I didn't want to be disappointed and end up with either a doll with an ugly faceup done by myself or no faceup at all. It took along time to save up for him and so I wanted him to be perfect. My second doll I also got the factory faceup, but I also got an extra head to practice with. I'm pretty confident in my art skills, but when I tried to paint on a tiny little head.. it looked horrible. It took a lot of practice to make it look decent, but I couldn't get it to look anywhere near as good as the factory faceups. So I would definitely get a faceup on a first doll. Hope this helps. :)

18. It's a very personal choice innit. I had my first doll blank, cause I knew I wanted to learn doing faceups. I dont think I could bear having to wipe a company faceup if I ever wanted a change D:

19. My first doll came with faceup, but it was nothing like what was pictured, and although it was gorgeous, it made it difficult for me to bond with him... I ended up having to sell him to keep myself off the streets, so the next time I get a doll I think I will do the faceup myself. I've been drawing for years so I think that will help, plus it will be a bonding experience ^^

20. My first doll didn't even have a head. XD

Seriously, I bought a lone SD13 boy body on Y!JA before I bought my first complete doll. And he was headless for MONTHS.