1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll w/ or w/o a face-up?

Feb 11, 2011

1. My first doll (Dream of Doll DOC Petsha) was (and is xD) also with a face up :)
      I don't wanna do face ups by myself either so I always order my dolls either with company face up or let my talented friend do the job xD

2. I bought Dorian with a face up becasue one, I wanted an example, two, I wanted a full set doll to jump into the doll world, and three, he was intended to be my perfect muse to use for photography and anything else. I use the second doll to practice face ups and stuff, but Dorian is my perfect and beautiful doll.

3. My first doll was without a faceup. I didn't like the one on the Dollmore website, and I had friends who were more than willing to paint Lil for me. Even now, I prefer buying dolls blank so I can customize them to my own preferences.

Only two of my seven have ever kept the face they came with, and one of the two was bought from the Marketplace so I'm assuming he had a custom faceup from his previous owner. Four of my dolls came to me blank, and the others were preloved dolls that got new faceups when I adopted them.

4. I just purchased my first doll with make-up because after reading through some of the customization links, I thought the whole process sounded way too challenging, scary and intimidating for my first doll. Not to mention that I may not even have the artistic abilities to make a good go of it as well! Being that it was my first and I want her to be awesome, I went with the factory default makeup but I've heard about how people on here do custom work so I guess that could always be an option if you didn't want to do it yourself...

5. I have absolutely no art skill whatsoever, so I'm fairly certain I won't be venturing into the territory of doing faces myself. If I saw the right sculpt but didn't like the default appearance, I could see purchasing it and sending out for a face-up, but I expect my first doll (or my first few) will come with a face-up from the manufacturer.

Fortunately, I really like the default/factory face-up for most of the dolls I'm most interested in purchasing, so it should be quite convenient for me when the time comes to make my first purchase. I think I'll be especially happy to see the doll looking "complete" right out of the box.

6. My first Doll ( and currently only doll ) has a face-up~ I think he looks alot prettier with it and it gives him character. Furthermore, Im not too good with art in this form, so I'd prefer to play it safe and get the default manufacturer's default face-up~

7. I'm going to definitely get my first one with a faceup.
      For one, I just don't want to mess up my first doll. 8D; (his default look, it's nearly perfect for my OC.)
      Two, I currently have no resin-safe art supplies... so the cost of getting the company faceup would be around the same as ordering MSC, buying a ton of chalk, brushes,acrylics,thinner etc. (I really would like to do faceups later, I like doing portraits and delicate work... I really think it would be a perfect thing for me to try out but, just not on my first. xD)

8. My first doll was brought here over DOA and I believe the owner would have wiped her face by request, but didn't want her to. I was soooo in love with the face up and even more so when my girl actually got here.

If I was ordering from a company though well...dunno. There are some pretty talented artists here on DOA that I would happily send my doll to for a face up instead, and they're generally cheaper, but if I was in love with the company default I would probably just order that.

9. I got my first with a faceup(only because he was a LE) as well as my second with a faceup..... I think unless the price for the faceup is outragous or I don't really like it... I'll always buy the faceup unless I have other plans for the doll.

10. I just ordered my first doll without a faceup. I am relatively confident that I will be able to give her a good faceup on my first try, but that is because I am a very good painter. (not to be too full of myself) Aside from that, I am patient, and will give it as many tries as I need to get it perfect.

Also, I didn't like the standard faceup for my doll.

11. My very first doll (Obitsu), who belonged to my girlfriend before me, was wiped clean to give me a better chance to see her potential as a new character. Incidentally, she was also the doll to receive my first face-up attempt. O.o However, the first doll I ever bought (second-hand) already had a face-up.

Looking back, I'm actually kinda glad that I dove headfirst into this hobby. It's helped me not be as nervous about face-ups, customizing, and even mods.

12. My first had a face-up but I've bought them with and without face-ups. Some I prefer with face-up and others; like my CP Luwen Vampire look good without it.

13. Though for your first bjd did you get it with or with out a face-up?
      I bought one with face-up and I like it.
      Do you think people who are new to bjds should get a face-up first, then try to do a face-up on maybe the second doll, or after a while?
      Well, I think it really depends. I bought my first one with face up and then the second without.
      I still love my first one so much that I am afraid I will rune the makeup. So Idecided to practice on my second doll. I have been practiceing my face-up skill to try to make things perfect. When I can do a wonderful face-up, I will redo my first doll's face-up .:)
      What do you think?
      I think getting the second one for practice is not too bad. So you get to practice. :)

14. My best friend persuaded me to get a doll blank and do my own faceup, and s I did. My first attempt was not very good but I'm happy to say I'm fairly competent at it now. Most of my dolls are bought blank, the one exception is a limited edition doll which already came with a face-up. I plan on redoing it, some day. :P

It's up to the person weather or not they should do their own faceup, some people have the ability to, while others don't. There's nothing wrong with having someone else do the faceup for you.

15. I tried to remove black spots from a wig on my lati yellow and now I some of her face-up is gone on the top of her head.
      Would like to give her a new one but wouldn't now were to start..
      Any tips/ideas?

16. All but one of my dolls came without faceups. My PukiFee, Hope, came with a faceup because she was a treat for myself after the Sept ChCh earthquake, so I splurged to get the faceup. Because I am happy with my own faceup skills, I don't see the need to get the company faceup unless I really like it.

17. My first doll came with a face-up, but i actually ended up removing it and painting my own because i was not satisfyed with the way she looked. But in the end, I think you should just go with your gut. If you don't feel secure enough to make your own face-up then buy one with!

18. My first doll (second hand) had the default company faceup. I would never have been brave enough to remove it if it hadn't gotten really scratched. Now, I find face ups more fun than intimidating, and even though I suck I enjoy doing them. My girl gets a new face about every month or so, mostly since I need the practice. :P

I definitely vote that the first time doll owners get the default face up. you can always redo it later.

19. My first doll didn't have a face up. I wanted to take a whack at it myself and I didn't trust myself with keeping said $60 face up completely pristine. xD
      I like ordering them blank, not only do I save a good chunk of cash I can use to clothe them, but it means I can truly customize them to my satisfaction. ;3

I do have one doll who has a factory face up, and he's just lovely with it. Though I still prefer to practice my own, even if I suck at them worse than a sea lamprey attached to a blood bank. xD

20. My first doll, a Dream of Doll DOC Petsha has the original DOD face up from the beginning on :)
      I prefer company face ups anyway :XD: