1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First doll w/ or w/o a face-up?

Feb 11, 2011

1. My first doll was with makeup. At that time I didn't know how to make it, that's why I ordered a doll with makeup. And this doll is still with this makeup. I love it ^_^. All other dolls are with my makeup.

I think that newbies should buy a doll with make up - for those, who plan to do makeup themselves ,it will be a good example. =)

2. I had to get my first doll with a face-up. They don't sell the sealant needed anywhere in town and at that point in time it was just the better option for me. I am planning on modifying the company face-up over the summer though.

3. My first two dolls were ordered blank. But, I am an artist and specifically wanted to try my hand at faceups. My 3rd doll I ordered with factory faceup because I liked how she looked enough to want her as is.

4. My dolls all wont have face up, I wont get a faceup from company unless it is preloved and has their old faceup. Part of the outcome for my hobby is to be able to personalise/customise as much as I want to. Infact, I would love to attempt making my own dolls if I had the know-hows, space and equiptment to.

5. If you have a friend who know how to make up, or you have know some make up commissioner, it's a good idea to do not have make up first, as my experience, many company's official make up do not as beautiful as many make up commissioner, also too expensive. You can have a more gorgeous doll through make up by yourself or good make up commissioner with almost the same price at their site.

But.... actually .. make up is a very hard job if you don't have any experience (or similar experience like Figures, Gumdam) before. - - I try and of course I failed...........-3- So if you are in the same situation like me, it's better order them with make up.

By the way, Volks offen have make up first. (except FCS), Crobidoll have great make up, I am very recommend you to order it when you order a Crobi...

6. I bought all of mine with face-ups. While the idea of doing my own seems really cool, I'd be way too scared to do it myself!

7. (First of all, you don't HAVE to do your own face-up. Some people can do decent ones. Some are true artists. Others will never manage. It's like singing or drawing or writing - hugely, a matter of practice but you do need a certain amount of talent for it, too ... ;))

I got my first doll with company face-up. But that was because he just looked perfect on the company pics. And he still does. He still got his default face-up, default wig and default eyes. I tried different wigs but I didn't consider changing his face-up (or eyes) even once cos it's perfect. (To my horror, I recently discovered his perfect face-up is slowly starting to rub off at his left eyebrow. *sob*)

My other two big boys, I got without company face-up. I wanted a certain kind of look for the Akando (and a beard) and Iplehouse's face-up just wasn't right for a pirate. The other one was a Minimee-head and those don't come with a face-up.

So, basically: If you like the company face-up, then get it. If you don't, then don't. There's lots of face-up artists here on DoA, doing lots of different styles of face-ups. Or try yourself. If it doesn't work out - you can always wipe it, can't you? :D

8. Heh heh, I can't paint to save my life so my dolls will either come with the factory faceup or I'll commission one :]

9. My first doll arrived without face-up. And the rest of them too - with two exceptions (both my DoCs, I got those face-ups by coincindence, once through an event and once through secondhand purchase, and I love them so much I cannot wipe them). I don't think I am very good at face-ups, but nonetheless, making my own face-ups is an important part of the hobby for me, and I wanted to start with that right away.

10. I ordered my first doll without faceup with the idea in my mind to do it myself. Of course it failed and after two tries I sent the doll to a friend to be customised. She came out very pretty but I was a bit sad I could't do it myself. But I've never ordered a doll with a company faceup and I've bought many dolls in the past 5 years. Nowdays I do the faceups by myself. Finally I don't suck that bad...

11. I think that depends on each person, my first one came with default faceup and that faceup suits him, so he'll stay with that faceup. But my second one (even if I asked it with no faceup) they send it with faceup, I removed it ('coz i didn't like it) and yestarday finished doing the new one, and I'm really happy with the result :3

12. First of all - it's a bad idea to get the first doll blank to save money unless you have most of the materials to do the face-up already. If you have to buy all the materials needed it'll be more expensive than one face-up. Of course if you intend to get more dolls and do all the face-ups it will be cheaper pretty fast.

I got my first doll - a DollZone 1/4 Feilian - without a face-up mostly because I really disliked the default one. I did her face-up as good as I was able to - and that wasn't very good. However it expresses her personallety perfectly. It has just become her so much that now I can't change it. I'm really afraid something would happen to her face-up because I don't think I'd be able to ever do it the same way again.

It might be difficult for some people to understand but I just love her so much exactly like she is. See? Not a very good face-up at all.

[​IMG]

I have tried a couple of other dolls as well. I have a Soom Mini Gem Uyoo elf that I bought second hand and she came with a horrible face-up. I think my own came out kind of nice but the colour has chipped off on the tip of one of her ears.

I have since given up doing face-ups. It really frustrates me to try because I know what I want to do but I just can't do it. I have problems with my motor skills because my eyesight was very bad before I got glasses at the age of 6 and my moter skills were never developed as they should. And these days my eyesight isn't especially good even with glasses so some things I can't see until I get a picture of my doll.

So if I don't want the company face-up I'll commision someone to do it.

Dustbunnie

13. My first doll has the company face up...I bought EB Beauty model dollfies for my sisters, and figured that I would use those as practice for doing faceups...XD

14. I think it depends on what you want.

My first doll came with the company faceup. I loved it. I wouldn't have had her repainted for the world. I was so happy that she arrived with a faceup, because I am not partial to blank dolls nor interested in painting my own faceups. It made the doll perfect for me to enjoy right away. If I did it all over again, I would definitely not buy a blank doll.

However, I do not like painting, am not fond of drawing on non-flat surfaces, and dislike applying makeup. These things make me ill-disposed to paint my own faceup. When I initially learned about ball-jointed dolls, I didn't quite understand that painting your own faceup was optional. Someone I knew who owned dolls bought all of them blank and considered doing faceups to be a required part of the owning-a-doll process and to some degree an indicator of "true" doll owners versus those who weren't hard-core enough. From this person, comments made about company faceups were very negative. At first, spurred by this person's enthusiasm, I thought that it would be fun...but the more I reflected on it, the more I saw that doing faceups was a combination of actions I don't enjoy. It's important to know that sort of thing, rather than waste lots of money and time on something that doesn't make you happy. I know there are many other people who love the artistic expression afforded to them when they paint their own dolls. I took a faceup class and that further confirmed that I am not interested. I spent most of the class practicing the demonstrated skills and immediately wiping away my discouraging attempts.

15. My first doll came with his default face-up. This was because I just recently joined the hobby and didnt know anything about painting a doll myself or have the money to send the doll out for a face-up. I was content with it for a while until I got a custom painted head from the MP. I began to dislike my first doll's default face-up because I think custom face-ups are more beautiful and unique. And I bond better with dolls with a custom face-up of my specification.

So all of my dolls now have custom face-ups. I also do my own face-ups, but I'm not very good at and I'm a perfectionist, so a single detail that doesnt look right will bother the hell out of me, I prefer just to send the heads out. I'd like to improve on my face-up skills though, cause I really like doing face-ups :3

16. my first doll came without a face up.. and i did her face for her ^^

[​IMG]

since i only have 2 dolls currently.. both face up are done by myself.. i want my dolls to be in a way.. different.. since i have intended for them with a character that was made up in my mind.

It still better for first timer to have the default face up since doing face up need materials .. i just reuse all my art schools materials.. :doh

17. I got my first doll with face up. Both because I liked the face up he came with and also because I knew I couldn't do it myself. I would love to learn how to do the face up myself and be able to customize my dolls without help! :)

18. My first came with a faceup. I was nervous enough about getting such an expensive doll without having to worry about messing about with a faceup! But... as I became more used to the whole BJD thing, I ended up tinkering a bit with the faceup on my doll, since it was very basic. And I was forced to do a faceup on my third doll because they did not offer faceups. I was thinking of sending it out for a faceup, but never was organized enough to do that.

Pros:
      You can maybe start right away, playing with your doll out of the box if they come with a faceup.
      You don't have to worry about that one extra thing and can think about eyes and wigs and such, which are easier.
      If you aren't artistic, you don't have to worry about trying to do it yourself.
      If you are thinking of sending out for a faceup, you don't have that extra delay, or worry about how the faceup will turn out or if your head will get lost in the mail!

Cons--
      If you like learning stuff and working on crafts and art and really want to do your own faceup--it's best to get a blank head.
      If you have a strong idea of a faceup and the company doesn't offer one or make one you like--it's best to get a blank head.
      If you don't have the extra money to pay for it.

Pretty much depends on the buyer and what they feel and what they want!

19. I ordered my doll without a faceup and then did it myself.
      It was a lot more fun that way. :B

20. my first doll i got was without a face up.. But my hubby is an artiest, so he is going to help me out with my first faceup. The next doll i'm getting thought i'm getting with a faceup. I just happen to like the faceup he comes with. As some one new to this hobby I don't trust my art skills to do a face up just yet... it might be a good idea to buy a spare head to practice on? what do you guys think?