1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First Dollmeet?

Sep 30, 2009

1. My first doll meet was at Oni-con 2007 in Houston. It was kind of disappointing actually. All the people up there have meets more regularly so a lot of them knew each other. I live in Corpus Christi, where there are practically no doll owners, so I don't have any doll friends. I'm a shy person when meeting people face-to-face for the first time, so I was nervous about talking to anyone. And nobody really talked to me, so I felt left out. Not completely their fault, obviously, but like I said, I'm really shy.

So I'm not really sure how I feel about meets anymore. D:

2. My first meetup was really akward for me. Everyone in the group already knew each other, and even though they were all really nice to me and made efforts to bring me into the conversation from time to time, I was just too shy/nervous. Basically I answered when I was spoken to but otherwise was silent. I must have creeped people out. lol I would feel too embarrassed to meet with them again.

I think I'd feel more comfortable going to a meet where everyone was meeting for the first time. That way I could find another shy person to latch on to. Either that or bring my friend along for support(though she doesn't like bjds).

3. I went to my first one no more than a week or two after the twins (my first dolls, Harumatsu & Tien Jen-) arrived... That was nearly four years ago, now.

It was at Dolls & Friends' old Crossroads shop, and I only took Harumatsu with me because Jen didn't have a body yet. (I hadn't expected to end up with a second doll. I thought Jen was just going to be a "spare head" for Harumatsu, until I got them and the faceups looked nothing alike. 'Best laid plans, and all that- :lol:) I didn't even have a proper doll carrier or my blue courier bag at the time... I brought the little guy wrapped up in a scarf in one of my canvas shopping bags!

Anyway, it a good-sized meet for the time... Somewhere around two dozen owners all-together. I met a lot of very cool people and got to see a lot of different kinds of dolls. Grace from JPop was there, and that was the genesis of Harumatsu being a wig fiend... and Leeda pretty much doomed me to ordering my third doll (Seimei, my Hound-) by handing me Carrus to play with.

It was a heck of a lot of fun.

4. It isnt...x.x I have no idea what I did wrong.. Im a really shy person, so I did alot of hovering.. they all kind of went off and did there own thing, and thinking back on it now, I felt rather left out.. None of them made an attempt to talk to me. They were pleasent of course.. I had hoped to make some friends, instead after I was just shunned..

I do want to attend meet-ups in the furture. Just not down there. Thanks Rynn! ^^

5. Well, actually, my first meetup was pretty recent. ^^

Although, I have to say it wasn't as exciting as I thought I would be. I felt pretty left out, and ignored.

It probably was because no one knew me, or maybe recognized me. So I guess it's partially my fault too.

Still, I guess it was pretty cool seeing all the dolls and such.

6. I just went to my first doll meetup yesterday~!

I don't know anyone, so I was really-really-really nervous. @_@ Also, the meetup was cancelled and then rescheduled, so I was feeling rather uneasy because of the initial disappointment and soon-resulting re-excitement. I spent a lot of time getting myself and my doll ready to attend the meetup at the new location, and I got there waaaaaay too early. XD Once I did... I realized I didn't know WHERE we were supposed to meet up! My phone does not do fancy things, so I couldn't look it up, either.

That made me nervous. I decided to eat lunch, then stalk the area until I spotted dolls. I suppose I should have carried my doll around myself, but I was nervous and it didn't really occur to me. I did find everyone eventually (yay!!) so I took a deep breath and dove right in! I had a really great time. :3 I knew I'd have to make an effort instead of expecting people to go out of their way for me, and it really paid off. I was able to see (and even hold) a variety of dolls. A lot of people were interested in seeing my Claudia, too. ♥

I really can't wait to attend something else. I had such a nice time!

7. I went to my first meet at Comic Con two years ago and then my second was about 6 months later. I actually didn't get my first doll until 6 months after my second meet.

I'm looking forward to going back to a few more after my life slows down a bit.

8. The first doll meet i went to was in Portland, OR where i am from. And sadly to say everyone was super rude minus like 2 or 3 people. I only had 2 MSDs with me and everyone acted like they were better than me because they all had SDs. Super Jerks! So because of that i have not been to another one yet.
      Maybe i will go to another one next month and see how it goes...

9. Ooh, I'd be so interested to go to a doll meet :)
      However I, like a few others on this board, are quite shy, I just feel like I'd be so nervous ;-;

Also, I have no clue if there are any closer to me than Wichita, KS D:

10. I went to ,y first doll meetup in april...or maybe it was may. It was May. I went and I only had my one MSD, I had a second on the way. So I thought my doll was crap next to all these gorgeous SDs and MSDs and YOs and whatnot, but everyone was really welcoming and they complimented my doll a lot and they were really friendly. So I had a fantastic time and I just love going to my group's meetings.

11. My first meetup was nearly two years ago now, whoa =O January of 08, NYC =] I went with one of my friends (who i'd managed to drag into the hobby as well, so i wasn't alone in my newbiness there). Even still, it was super awkward for both of us, since we were both shy and had issues talking to new people. We were also later than everyone else, so while everyone knew one another and had this big group of tables all set up, we ended up kind of on the outskirts. Even though we felt really awkward and out of place, we talked to a bunch of people and saw sooo many awesome dolls that we gawked and awed over.

Since then i've tried to go to the meets every month i can, and they're so much fun! I've gotten to know a lot of people, so i don't feel awkward anymore. I'm always seeing new faces (both human and resin ^.~) and its nice to get to know everyone.

Its also dangerous to see everyone elses dolls, of course. You get to see so many dolls you've never looked at before, and most of them end up looking so much ebtter in person, you wind up with a much larger wishlist than you ever expect! XD

12. My first dollmeet was about a year or so ago. It was lots of fun. The people were really nice and all the dolls were amazing!

The funny this is, my friend asked me to come to the dollmeet. I introduced the hobby to her, but I was content with my then only dolly, visiting VolksUSA, and the occasional dolly magazine (mostly Haute Doll) to satisfy my BJD needs. I have to thank her for bringing me along as I got a chance to see BJDs other than Volks to compare with quality, size, personalities, etc. It was really awesome. Can't wait to go to another one. =D

13. For my first meet last month in Raleigh, I was too shy to talk to basically anyone.
      People did try to include me, though. I felt really welcomed. But I was so nervous.
      I think if I went back this time with my sister or a friend, it would turn out better, and I wouldn't be as nervous. ^^

14. There's an oni-con meet up on Saturday!! PM me if you're interested, I'll hang out with you and I promise you won't feel left out if you can make it!! <3

15. my first doll meet...I think I actually organised it with the only two other people I could find in my area who even knew what BJD were. We met in the botanic gardens, and about halfway through we hear someone yell out "BJD!" what do you know, a DOA member from Denmark (I think it was) was visiting Brisbane and happened to walk past and see us.

Gotta say that was unique for the first ever meet in Brisbane

16. My first doll meet was... Wednesday!
      I'm always REAL shy when i first meet people, so i mostly just took in everything that they were saying, and observed the dolls.
      PLus they were all much older then me (lol@ highschooler) so that added to the shyness.
      It made me want a doll over 9000 times more, though Dx

17. aww... after all that hassle? I feel bad for you and your mom. At least they should have told you the reason right? I also had the same problem before. I never knew I offended them (fellow bjd owners) until they kindly disscussed it to me (on chat). I was really sorry and the next time we had a bjd meet, I tried to be more careful with my words and actions. And they were really nice and kind enough to show me that I am still welcome to the community after all that. And I didn't earn it but they let me felt it so yeah.. I'm glad I'm okay with my bjd friends now. Yes they are my friends now! :3

I hope you will find some bjd friends there soon preferably near your place. I guess not only bjd friends but people who will appreciate your hobby! :D

18. up to now , i didn't participant , i hope it will also happend in china some where soon,

19. OMG I CAN FINALLY POST HERE XD
      I went to my first dollmeet yesterday. It was actually a panel at a convention. I was awwing over all the dolls, they were so gorgeous!!! There was even a Soom MD that I almost freaked about XD It was a lot of fun. I got a lot of really great answers to some questions I've been wanting to ask, and I learned a lot. It was also really cool because there were times when I got to put in some input for the people who were completely new to the dolls ^^ Thank you two years of researching on the internet and DoA!! I made some new friends, and got to see some awesome, beautiful dolls <3

20. I'm still too scared to go to a doll meet. Like a lot of other people posting here, I can be shy, therefore I keep putting off going! I would like to go because it would be nice to have a dolly-friend, but I tend to keep this hobby quiet so that my new flatmates (just started uni) don't think of me as a creepy-doll-girl!! There are many meets in the city where I attend university, so I just need to pluck up the courage.
      =]