1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First Dollmeet?

Sep 30, 2009

1. This year I went with my friend to a doll meet without my doll (she was still in the mail) but I met some other nice people. However, I also met some...interesting people who apparently weren't invited and were quite rude actually. Hopefully my next meet goes better than that one

2. I've only been to one doll meet, but it was super fun. My friend and I wanted to go, and we convinced her mom to take us. My friend's brother wound up coming along, too, and we drove for two and a half hours to get to the meet. And we were only there for the last fifteen minutes or so. But everyone was super nice, and these two girls talked to us and told us we should come back and asked us how we got in the hobby and stuff. And after we left, we went to my friend's uncle's house because we didn't want to waste a two hour long road trip on 15 minutes with dolls in some cafe. We sat in his house in really awkward silence with his cat and great dane while christmas music played in the background. But it was a fun day. And on the way back, there was this HUGE wooden reindeer somewhere, and then we went rollerskating with all of our friends. (Her poor brother was just dragged along all day XD)

3. My first doll meet was a bad experience, though it has not stopped me from attending more of them.

I felt isolated because I did not know anyone there and no one really felt like talking with me. I tried to start conversations with a few people, but it just kind of petered off into nothingness. I wandered around taking photos of the dolls (after asking permission and giving compliments), but I eventually gave up and went home. I was a new face and I think it off-put people that were already well established in the community.

I skipped the next few meet-ups, but I did eventually go back with a couple of people I knew. It was a lot more fun then. And finally people started talking with me. I think it might have been because I was a new face with new dolls and some people are afraid of new things/people. At least, that's what I tell myself. :lol:

I love meet-ups, but I've learned that you can't give up on them if you happen to not have a good experience.

4. My first meet up was about a year and a half ago, and back then I had no doll, just the pale idea of buying one. People were very kind to me, they allowed me to play with their dolls and even get them undressed to show me how the joints and elastic work. It was so cool and I felt so embraced by my local community that I decided for real to buy my boy. So, well, they played an important role on my beginning on this hobby.

Now we meet anytime we can and it's always a lot of fun conversations, great food and pretty dolls!

5. My first meet was about 4 years ago. I drove for 3 hours to meet some girls I'd met through online bjd role play. I was SO scared---that they might not show up, that they might hate my 'cheap' dolls, that their dolls would be so much more professional looking than mine, that they might not like how I looked, that they liked my characters but wouldn't like me as a person, or would be rude. But all of that fear melted quickly, and we had a blast, sharing doll info, getting to know each other, getting to see dolls we hadn't seen in person before. nobody made any rude comments, to other owners or other dolls, everybody's dolls got attention. I felt very welcomed, and two of the girls from the meet are still two of my close friends!

My first local meet was about 3 years ago, again, I was nervous, but now I go to or host local meets monthly, everybody is so nice, and we always have fun. Everybody has something to contribute to the group, and I feel like I've learned something from every single person I've met.

6. My first meet was pretty soon after I joined DoA. It was at the opening of a bead/doll shop of one of the members. The shop was awkward. I only had my little Bobobie girl and knew no one. One or two people said something to me or responded when I talked to them. Most just gave me and my doll a cursory glance and went on talking with their friends. Meh. I don't read much into that behavior because I'm crazy shy at first myself and I wasn't exactly Cheery Cherry Chatterbox either. XD

I don't warm up very quickly in person and I've never been involved with that group or any other consistently enough to do so.

7. My first meet happened in February. I was walking around Katsucon, proudly holding Angelo (my Bobobie Apollo) when a person stopped and said to me "I don't remember this doll!" She then explained to me where the meets were and when. The next day, I showed up at the meet. I was nervous, and despite this, I found the doll people and sat down at a table with them. I put Angelo on the table and then I remember nervously starting up a conversation with the women there. One woman had a superhero mold, and I remember asking about him. She said that he had to wear baby shoes! After that, we discovered that we were in the wrong place, and had to move. From there, I held a lot of conversations with people, and displayed my doll with everyone else's. The group I was with was very inclusive, and I really hit it up talking to one of the members. It was so nice, and I'm going to a bunch of meets at Otakon. I've been waiting months for this since I had such a positive experience for my first meet. It was so easy to break the ice; all I had to do was ask questions about other people's dolls! It was fun and totally worth going!

8. My first meet was only a few days ago! Had a wonderful time~ we are very very few over here (only three of us managed to meet, next time we'll be probably four) but it's always fun going out and meeting people~ We held our meeting in a nice quiet cafeteria in our city's big shopping mall, we had enough room for us and our dolls both and we weren't awkward at all (probably because we're so few and already exchanged countless messages online) I can't wait to go again! c:

9. My first doll meet was awesome. It probably couldn't be better. I feel so fortunate. There were an overwhelming number of gorgeous dolls to ogle, a "dolly hospital" to work on fixes and face ups etc and a massive resin comparison photo shoot/opportunity to name some highlights. Plus everyone one was so accommodating and friendly. As a newbie it was the perfect experience. I never felt like I was the odd ball crashing an exclusive party; everyone was open to talk and discover which I think is the the point of a physical doll meet. I can't wait for the next one with them...

10. I don't know if you can call mine a meet, more of an encounter lol! I was at an anime expo and totally didn't expect to see dolls but when I saw a Megu I went over and introduced myself to all the girls with the beautiful dolls, they turned to each other and shared a disapproving look and walked away when I mentioned that I own a CP El...
      I assume that they were just a bit uneasy about talking to someone they hadn't planned to meet, and I really hope to go to a real one!! :) I'd like to meet some dolly people!

11. My first meet was very recent. I was SO nervous!! Not just because it was new people that I have never met before, but I had to drive an hour into a place I wasn't familiar with. I was scared to go for both those reasons...and the thought of what if the people didn't like me. It was a great meet and I made some real good friends. It was exciting to see dolls in person and to actually talk face-to-face with people who had something in common. I talked to everyone, even though I was quiet at first...and I thought it was real cool that everyone asked to see my doll. He was such a tiny SD compared to everyone elses!!

My doll has a fan, and my Nicky made dolly friends. It was a very welcoming and fun experience. (and I've already been to a second one, and will be going to sacanime with the same people!)

I think the best part about all this was that I made new friends, and the people all talk to me like we were always friends. It really means a lot to me, and I am so proud and glad that I went.

12. My first meet was super fun. I had only just signed up here when darling Ereskigal dropped me a note asking where in Northern Germany I was - turns out we live 30mins away from each other. :lol: She knew a handful of doll owners in the vicinity so we had a meetup at her place. There were two I didn't know at the time (one being Evie the kid, the other a friend of Ereskigal's who AFAIK isn't a member here) and Ereskigal and I had never met in person either, but it was ultra relaxed. I only had my first doll (SD size) and was pretty fascinated by the different sizes - one had brought a Tiny, and there were some Minis around too - and Ereskigal's collection of Soom fantasy creatures.
      I remember my poor girl had to go barefoot because at the time I only had the one pair of dolly shoes I've ever bought - they're for heel feet and she came with flats assembled, and I was too chicken to swap her feet :lol: But watching Ereskigal and Evie re-stringing a Soom dude showed me that dolls are pretty sturdy after all, and I didn't have to be afraid of messing up my dolls just by changing their feet. So it was both meeting new friends and a great learning experience, all within the first month of being a dolly owner. Gotta love the community :aheartbea

13. I've been to doll meets before, but last weekend (or was it the weekend before?) was my first bjd meet. It was fun and there were LOTS of dolls there. I was about to decide I didn't really need to get a bjd after so much time went by from finding the one I want to getting funds to acquire it. But now I feel like I **NEED** a shiwoo. :P

14. My first meet was back in 07 *_* Only had my one girl Mizzy, and the poor thing had just homemade clothes and a wig made of weird yarn. But the ladies at the meet were really nice! Ended up making some great friends and having lots of fun.

15. My first doll meet was during I believe 2007 or 2008 at a park. My friend who was into the hobby at the time had told me to go there to check out the dolls. At that time, I was never really into the hobby but was definitely interested in it. I even had a dream doll of the time which was Volks Kurumi (I would love to own one if I can). I also remember it was my bf at the time and I's first year anniversary so I don't think he was very happy about me staying at the meetup for a very long time. My girl friend who was there introduced me to some of her friends and had told me that one person had Kurumi. Being me, I insisted on seeing the kurumi and holding it too! For the span of about 2 hours, I held that Kurumi in my arms like she was my kid or something, I almost didn't even want to give it back to the owner! That's my experience at my first doll meet. I didn't own any dolls at the time, I just got one this year.

16. I actually just went to my first doll meet earlier in August. It was great and everybody was super welcoming and kept shoving dolls in my hands since I don't have my first doll yet. A lot of information was being thrown my way and it was a tad overwhelming, but not in a bad way if that makes sense. There were a bunch of dolls sitting on a table and cabinet. There were also some people swapping and selling things. I had a lot of fun and met a few people that I was talking to here on DoA.

17. I went to my first meet at an anime convention during a panel and I talked to many people had my first resin with me at all times...I was a little paranoid he'd get stolen...>w>;; Couldn't blame me...That was the first big adventure he ever had. It was fun and after the meet I just walked around the con with Avalon showing him off a little...There was this great big plush of Derpy Hooves someone had made that Avalon could've sat on...But I couldn't get the guts up to ask if I could put him on it. T^T My second doll meet was last week or the week before and it was at Mitsuwa Market...A lot of people recognized me and my doll from the con and we all talked a lot. I met a lot of people but I also learned that next time...Bring my crew. XD; Not just one doll and his doggy.

18. I loved reading all the stories here, they all sound so lovely ;-; (Sorry for those that had not so great experiences)

I think I am at the point now that I definitely want to start meeting dollie people in real life. I've always been incredibly shy in social situations, but my American Sign Language class is forcing me to break out of it, by having to sign in front of the class and attend deaf events :P I was not able to go to the last meet my area had (It was during my morning class, but I'm going to try my best to go to the next one. And I'm thinking of putting up a paper at my college to find people! I'll report back here once I *finally* attend my first meet x3

19. My first meet was this last July. It was rather nerve-racking for me since I'd never been to one before, and I didn't know anyone who was there. As it turns out, the lady who was hosting it hadn't been to/done a meet in a few years, and the other ladies there hadn't been to a meet before either, so we were all new faces. ^.^' It was a lot of fun, once we all arrived. I did wish I had brought one of my other ones though; Julian still doesn't have a proper shirt and shoes...>.<

20. My first meet, which I think was in 2006, was kind of strange. I won't go into specifics, but there was a person there who I found to be a rather unpleasant individual and it kind of soured the experience a bit. Also I didn't approach or talk with very many people because I was still so shy! At my second meet, the same person (who was a bit of a name in the area) showed up again and I'm afraid it put me off the scene for several years. Everyone else in the hobby I met was very nice, and I probably honestly did let it get to me more than I should. Also, I should have made more of an effort to shake off some of that shyness and interact more.

This year I knew I wanted to make new friends, and decided that even if this individual was still in the area and active in the hobby, I didn't care! I am more comfortable in my own skin and definitely more outgoing than I was seven years ago, and I've had a bit more life experience and can now say, "to each his own." So last month, I went on my first meet in ages and it was wonderful! I met some very nice girls and definitely want to get to know them better. I wish my schedule was more flexible so that could happen sooner!