1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

first time buyers nerves?

Dec 1, 2008

1. I had the exact same feeling before I ordered my first doll (who hasn't arrived yet). I had been drooling and wishing for quite some time, and he was that kind of doll that just made me fall head long like a tree, and no matter where I looked, I couldn't find anyone that seemed more "wow" than him.
      Luckily, I didn't have to beg my parents or anything, not even staring to save up all my pennies. I have a saving account in the bank where my parents save money for me to have when I get older and begin collage and stuff (we all know how expensive that can be XD) and let's be honest, that account wasn't exactly empty, even tho my parents had withdrawn quite a lot to pay for some other stuff I'd been involved in. I had money to pay for this doll I wanted to badly, and I convinced my parents to transfer some of the money from the saving-account to my visa-card, which they agreed to do after a little while. But when I actually got the money, I suddenly felt like "Omg, what am I doing?" I mean Im obsessed with money, not like I need to spend money, but Im obsessed with saving! And this strange feeling caught me that "Sh*t, Im spending 700$ on a doll, when I really should save the money for my collage-time later on." I felt really bad and guilty in some way, most to my parents, here they have saved money for me my entire life, and what do I do, "waste" it away on dolls?? Even if it's just one doll and I only have to get a job for a couple of months to "repair the wound", I still felt like a jerk.
      But anyway, I tried to look at it from the bright side. I needed new hobbies, my life was getting more boring every minute and I was spending my free time in front of the computer, playing World of Warcraft... So I decided to do it even tho it felt a big awkward. To release some of the tension, I decided to promise myself to get a job and work over christmas (working on big holidays pays really well) to regain at least some of the money, and be able to buy things for my doll without having to take from my savings.
      That is how a solved the issue, and now my beloved is on his way, as soon as the company decides to ship him XD and I can't wait ti get him home!

2. I did it with my first doll and I know, whenever I get around to ordering him, I'll be doing it with my fourth doll ( did it with them floating heads too -_-; ) as well. I am always very nervous about spending money, whether it be $600 or $6, it's just the way I am. I feel guilty, even when purchasing something that is a necessity, so one can only imagine how it gets with a big ticket luxury item!

Usually I find though that my nerves really start to get at me in the evening, so I focus all my purchasing power during the day. Haha, I know that's probably just a personal quirk, but it really does help, and even if I have the money to order the doll, which I've most likely been pining after for months, I'll still wait at least one more day to make sure he's really what I'm ready to pour my money into.

3. Wow, this is exactly what I'm feeling right now. I'm thinking "OH i can get a new camera, laptop, etc" or "But where's my cosplay funds coming from? DX" etc, etc. I don't know if i REALLY want one now. Maybe it's because I'm second-guessing wanting the mold I was saving for and now my character is currently mold-less.... that really isn't helping.
      Saving is so hard too.... Drat you minimum wage!

4. My hesitation lasted for a time, I spent an entire month calculating prices for the DOC Tender Yen and Luts Bory! I even asked my friend about going split with me on a DOC Tender Too & Bee-A! I was so estatic about dolls I never really paid attention to them! It was terrible!
      Then one day I stumbled upon Jeeryama's ebay store and saw Mo-2. I fell in love with his sculpt and thought I was getting a deal! I hadn't realized it was just his body price I was comparing the full set price too! But I had the money from my birthday and stared at him for about 3 days continuously. I asked opinion after opinion from my friends. They all thought I was a little odd for wanting a doll but I definitely think it was worth it in the end!
      I remember clicking the Buy it Now button and jumping up and running to my room mate yelling "I DID IT! I BOUGHT HIM!"
      Haha, so now he was shipped today and I'm eagerly waiting his arrival :D

5. every time i get really close to hitting "add to cart" im afraid to buy a doll. but only because im afraid of the dissapiontment i'd feel if it arrived broken or got lost in the mail or something

right now i wanted to buy CP howl today or tomorrow but i might not get the money in time and well im sorta ok with that. maybe ill buy a girl for my first doll instead like i had originally planned and then get a boy.

waiting to save up more money just gives you more time to decide if you really want it or not.

i'd suggest saving up for two dolls before purchasing your first? that way you can get a doll AND a laptop so if one of them isnt for you, you can enjoy the other until you sell the first

6. I've been having the same problem... I fell in love with Iplehouse's Tatiana (hence the avatar:fangirl:), and I have been dead set on her as my first doll... but I'm nervous... should I buy the default wig, outfit, etc so she looks the same when I get her? Will I love her if I get a bad wig? Will it totally change her? It's hard to see past all the add-ons and really see the mold that you love.

I've even had her slide down to #2 or #3 on my list of wants after browsing around... but I always come back to her as #1 when I really think about it and strip her down (figuratively of course!). It took me a while looking at TONS of dolls to be able to see past their add-ons... but that's the one, for me, right now, that's worth spending that much money on...:love

But hey, I still haven't pulled the trigger (mostly 'cause I'm still saving :roll:), but looking, seeing it all, I've even began to develope an over-arching concept for what I hope will someday be a small army of dolls!

(SO glad someone started this thread... I'm right on the bus with ya!)

7. Yup. This is actually what I'm feeling right now. I've looked around all the companies I could find for the one doll to suit my character. And, I'm pretty sure I've found her.

But now that I'm this close... My mind is going "Wait. What if she doesn't fit? What if she gets here and looks completely different? What if the wig and eyes just don't go? What if *insert more insecurity here*

Just a bunch of what-if's, y'know? It makes sense. I'm spending a large sum of money on a doll. Moreover, I'm spending the largest sum of money I've ever saved on a doll. It doesn't bother me that there's so much I could do with that big chunk of cash. But the what-if's stack on my shoulders and weigh me down.

Mind you, none of these are going to stop me from ordering her. I've made up my mind. This is what I want to do. And if what everyone else says is right, all the what-if's melt away when it finally gets home. c:

8. yeapyeapyeap

I'v already pressed the 'order button' and after that be prepared for the a) guilt (ho shit that was expensive) and b) fear (am I going to love this doll ? Is it gonne work out ?)

I'm in stage b right now but I'm not giving in, before the butten I royally fel in UBERLOVE with the doll, as I only spend cash on things I love, especially bigger expencive things >_>
      but hey don't ask me to spen 30 bucks on a new sweater cuz aint gonne happen ... lol

just try to pay attent to wat doll makes your heart beat faster, I too only get moved by very few dolls.

9. I guess my biggest concern is that, even though I really do love IH Tania's sculpt, I don't have that ZOMG PERFECT DOLL LOVE *walks into tree* WHOMP feeling that so many of you are describing. With her character too, she's kinda limited... I want a character with attitude as well as a sweetheart, and in her there's only one. >.< But I dunno if they'd get aloonnnnggg.... Before finding her on the marketplace I kept coming back to Tania and Tatiana and just sighing over them, though. Alicia surprised me when she told me she was Tania, not Tatiana, but... I think it works.

I mean, she's LISI. She's gonna be spoiled absolutely sugary-sweet and flooffy, I'm already making clothes for her, I already have tons of fabric for more, I've got an idea about where she'll "live" in my room and I have a teddy bear and a duckie for her when she arrives...

... so I really hope we bond!!

10. You're not alone!
      I'm also debating whether I should get a BJD or not. I'm not even half way there for the money, and I have plenty of time to think about it.
      My dad gave me permission to use his paypal once I get the money.
      I mean, I thought about the dolls starts to yellow in a year later, and that'll probably bother me..... A LOT.
      And I don't know if I'm financially prepared to take care of a BJD. (I mean, I'm only 15!)
      So I'm thinking that I'll get a BJD once I turn 16 and get a part-time job. But I do want it now, but also not want a doll now. Does that make sense?

11. I had this feeling before I ordered my first doll. I, very literally, had wanted a doll for 7 years now, but back then I didn't have the money for one. I'm glad I waited to. I look back on all the dolls I've saved pictures of on my computer from the companies and I realize that i still like them, but i definatly don't love them. One of my friends recently got her first BJD so that made me really want to finally get my own. I'd been surfing a lot of the companies websites, as many as I could find, and found a couple of dolls (MSD size) that I liked. However, a couple weeks later I got to experience/hold my first SD size and loved that size more. Right after that Soom released Topaz and I fell instantly in love. She's not home yet and I keep going back and forth worrying that I won't like her anymore then remembering she'll be amazing. I'm so glad I got her, but I'm glad I waited and was able to see and hold the different sizes and genders... So I knew exactly what i was looking for, and just lucky enough to find my dream doll. I'd definatly say try to go to a meet somewhere and look at as many user pictures as possible (this turned me away from a few sculpts that I thought were ok on the site, but I didn't like what they looked like in the user pictures as much).

12. heh, I'm trying to work out this exact same thing. I've got a buddy in the US who has a couple, and it is so tempting to get one of my own.
      I'm finding that I can find dolls that look similar to my character, but there is always something off about them.

I've finally narrowed it down to getting Kyle, Romeo and Koji, but as my friend pointed out the heads look a little too big for the bodies, so I've decided to get a different body, and I'm sitting here worried out of my mind that when I do get the heads, and then the body later, that they won't work together, and then I'll have spent all that money that I may not get back through resale.

Then I've got my friend whispering in my ear that it will all work out xD So hopefully she's right and I'll have three gorgeous dolls in a few months (evil conversion rate stopping me from buying them now)

13. bah. I know what you mean. I keep going back an' fourth. It doesn't help to have a tentatively supportive yet gently discouraging mother. I think I may have gone over to the dark side though- i've started making clothes. That makes it feel really official somehow- i'm hella nervous to order him- i know that "why am i spending so much?" feeling. They cannot deny me though- birthday and christmas are LOOMING. And i'm looking to replace my job that i lost to a student with more hours *curses them* >.o
      I'm usually a cheapskate, but every once and a while my expensive taste rears it's ugly head. geh. dolls. who knew? It doesn't help to have picked out my 2nd either, i think.

14. Von Alk, we're pretty much in the exact same position, it seems.... XD But I'm going ahead and ordering her anyway. I'm TERRIFIED that she won't be everything I want her to be, that somehow she won't be "THE Doll" and I won't play with her, that finally having a doll will ruin the magic of the hobby for me... but I won't know until I see her one on one, right? :) I have to TRY, at the very least... right?

15. I went for buying an inexpensive doll to see how BJDs really are. There are no meet ups or conventions near me at all so I couldn't handle dolls there. I tried for a MSD size and ordered her... at first I didn't bond because she didn't have a faceup and I gave her several horrific ones. Then she was left unplayed with for about 6 months and when I suddenly had more money I decided to send her face away to get faceuped. She finally became the doll I always wanted and even though she isn't one of the 400+ ones, she was really pretty and I was happy ever since. :) I was nervous on buying one since I can't stand buying myself like a 75+ purse or a set of clothes. It's a weird feeling. :)

16. I used to feel guilty about spending a lot of money on anything that was a luxury to me (as in, not clothes, food stuff, school stuff, other necessities, etc). I was afraid more than anything else when I paid for my first bjd because I had no idea whether I would even like it when it arrived.

Fortunately I did like it and things turned out fine.

For my other two dolls that came after him? I can't say I felt much guilt over spending so much money on them because the money used was money I had been setting aside every week (I got paid weekly in my old job) specifically for buying bjds and bjd related stuff XD

Now I'm pretty much immuned to the whole 'negativity/guilt trip' ordeal :sweat

17. I have 4 dolls now (and I'm caring for a 5th) and I still get that weird feeling when I buy a new one. I don't get the feeling when ordering...its when the box is sitting on the floor waiting to be opened that I get nervous about it.
      I think thats because my first doll (SD10 Megu) was such a huge disappointment.
      Luckily none of the dolls since her have disappointed me.
      I was really worried about buying my yo-sd megu because I was not able to bond with the big megu (I gave it a couple years, a couple thousand dollars in wigs, eyes, clothes, faceups).
      I got lucky though. the little one is everything I'd hoped for.

I've never felt guilty regarding the cost. After all, if I didn't like it, I could always sell it.

18. It is a lot of money to spend on something that's not a necessity. Sure, the average person probably spends way more than the cost of a doll (or two!) a year on other frivolous things, but it's rarely that much at once. I think that's the scary part. It's really not a decision to make lightly. As much as I love my dolls and want other people to love them, they're not always for everyone. But I think if you've spent a year dreaming about this, then you probably have a good idea that it's what you want.

Do you have a specific doll in mind that you're totally in love with? Have you seen them in person before? I think as was already mentioned, it might be a good idea to look and see if there are any doll meets in your area you can attend, so that you can see for yourself just how wonderful they are.

19. I guess I'm not like everyone else here... :sweat

About a week and a half after I found out what a BJD was, I purchased my own. There was no second guessing, I jumped on the bandwagon.

I mean, everytime I purchase a doll now, I make sure the bills are paid for and stuff, but I mean... everyone deserves to have nice things!

20. I had a lot of nerves over buying my first little girl.

I had liked BJD's for quite some time. I had thought about it alot, wanted one, had fallen in love with several, but it just kinda killed me to put out the money, even for some of the less expensive dolls. I kept looking at the money, telling myself that I could use it for so many other things.

But then I jumped and got my little Perry. I love her to death :D And since then I've gotten and sold a couple of others (I don't bond easy); but I don't ever regret her.