1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

first time buyers nerves?

Dec 1, 2008

1. I had first-time buyer nerves... and second-time buyer nerves.... and now that I'm considering buying my third, I'm having third-time nerves! :lol:

They are a lot of money; I think everyone (who hasn't successfully planted and grown a money tree) feels nervous when they part with that much money. It's going off to a far away land *_*

...Then you read some horror stories on here of lost dollies, dollies arriving damaged!

BUT; it goes away when they arrive safe and sound <3

I must have thrown Thomas in that Iple shopping cart a dozen and a half times, only to close the browser and reconsider.

I think it's normal :sweat

2. humanmind, you're right about the money part causing nervousness and then those horror stories........:?

As a newbie to BJDs, I clicked on "Buy It Now" for Isao Nanjou version 1 on ebay. :? Of course, I read DOA discussions, news, bootleg warnings etc and I have been collecting other types of dolls. Even so, it was scary with all the horror stories of bootlegs, stolen dolls and scams. My logic then was that if it's Isao, the risk is worth taking. I was very fortunate to have met a good seller within Canada. The doll arrived safely, quickly, without problems. :)

Now, I'm in the process of acquiring my 2nd doll, a Sato FCS. It is scary because I'm buying in Yen when the Canadian dollar is down. The cost after factoring Canadian customs tax is prohibitively high. Yet, I am going ahead. If I wait any longer, things can get worse and I may not be able to get the doll at all.

3. I know I was a little apprehensive when buying my first doll. I would always find a doll that I really really liked then about a week later I wouldn't have that much interest in it anymore. I've always thought that a doll of this kind just wasn't worth so much money. I've gotten over all of that now, and now I can actually see the value that these dolls are worth. now I'm waiting for my first doll without being nervous or apprehensive.

4. I've had the first time buyer nerves for about 5 months now!!! I've slowly started to gather funds, and I should have enough for my first doll soon... but I am getting rather depressed, the doll I want is like a special edition doll... that's like one month's rent!!! Or I could use part of those savings for a trip to Japan... etc. etc. And I'm worried, will I be happy with how it looks already; BJD clothes are just as expensive as human clothing, and I KNOW I'm going to want many outfits and wigs and eye colors etc... and already I'm thinking about the second doll too!!! And I haven't even gotten around to buying the first one XD My sister keeps me from actually buying one, telling me I should save for future plans and such... that I should buy the doll when I'm working in a solid career... I plan on living overseas eventually, and my justification is that the doll will be my company XD But everytime I'm ready to buy the doll my sister's words of wisdom come to mind... I'm so depressed :(

5. Oh, don't be depressed. :) If I were you, I'd buy the doll. I'd do what my heart says is right. However, you should also be responsible with spending. A second doll may be too much of a commitment. Only you know best and only you can make the decision.

6. Thanks for the encouragement :) I think I will go through with my first doll purchase really really soon *^^*

7. I am super nervous, mostly over my new doll's face up when I finally do order her. I would love a vampire NIM doll but I'm not crazy about my choice of model's default make-up and I am still a n00b to know who is a good costumizer. So I am relaly afraid of dishing out the $$ for such an expensive dolly and then sending her off to someone and not liking the results *sigh* anyone got any good costumizer links you can send me off to to see thier previous works perhaps? Anticipated thanks :)

8. I just think "God, that could get my CAR fixed!" But I still haven't spent any doll money yet XD A lot of people here seem to have separate doll funds where they will like, save their tip money, spare change, small amounts of paychecks, etc. so they won't feel so guilty. Also, when you save up such small amounts of money for a long time, you'll know if you really want it :)

9. I feel the same way too = =
      but eventually...i still bought my doll...
      Now i'm waiting for him to come to me...
      hope I wont regret or what later...
      anyway...i really like my doll in this moment^^

10. I'm really nervous right now. After a whole lot of begging my parents to buy him and let me pay them back, they told me they'd just pay for him for me. I clicked the buy button, but now I'm kind of thinking, "Did I really just do this?" I've never held a doll in my life, and I'm nervous about how he'll turn out. He's limited, so I couldn't see other people's pictures of him. That's what's got me all nervy.

However, I'm not thinking, "I could have bought ____" because I didn't buy him. Mostly, I think my nerves are from not knowing what to expect. However, I'm sure I'll love him. I bought a laptop for a little more than what he cost, without even trying the model first. The 30-minute car ride home I was jumpy, because I wasn't sure about what was going to happen, if I really wanted the model. But when I started using it, I loved it.

I think that's how my doll will be. I'm not sure about it, because he's not in my arms yet, but I'll love him to death after he's here. (That's how I am about like... everything. xD)

11. I've just placed my first order... I have a few qualms, but not in terms of how much I spent or if I will like them enough.

Mostly I wonder how travelling with them on a plane will go. Certainly can't trust them to checked luggage, and I have a lot of stuff I will 'need' in my carry on luggage. Perhaps I just need to invest in a large purse.

12. Get a carrying bag for it. Depending on the size of your doll you can usually fit a lot into the bag with them (and most carrying cases qualify as a carry on!)

13. I waffled quite a bit before I bought my first doll last year. I kept looking at her and wondering if she was worth it, and if I could really afford to splurge on something as expensive as her. I also had a lot of trouble deciding what doll I wanted.

I went back and forth many many times before I finally hit that button and I haven't regretted it for a moment. :) I love her just as much today as I do the day she arrived.

14. I have been collecting these dolls for a few years, but I still agonize about buying a new one, especially if it's a big one. I spend a lot of time looking at owners' photos of the ones that interest me to decide if I like them well enough to buy.

15. Updating this....

I am now in the process to buy a head; and men, it took only one or 2 hours between finding one and buying it but seemed like days to me O____o

It took time to really know I wanted it and just looking at it I just knew it was a good choice :)

I am still waiting for an answer from the seller, and I just cannot wait to get it :whee:
      Absolutely no doubt.... I am getting it and no one will stop me ;)

My nerves did not last long agaisnt me wanting it XD
      Hope it will be the same thing when I get a complete one XP

16. I'm kind of in the same place that you are. I've known about BJD's for about a year or so, because a bunch of my friends had them, and I always thought they were so beauitful and lovely. I wanted one to start out with, but I didn't really think about getting one until my friend's facebook started loading up every month of her and her beautiful two BlueFairy dolls. It made me want one so bad, so I started searching.

Every site gave me a whole bunch of questions. Which dolls are worth it? Which ones will last long enough for me to love them for a long time? How long am I going to be into this? Will I have to keep spending on this one doll? And I honestly didn't find one that I was completely in love with until recently. She's a souldoll kid called Tiny, and she's absolutly beautiful. She's in a lesser priced range, and I figured out how I'm saving up the money. I haven't bought her yet, but I'm still excited.

Then again, I'm also quite nervous. I know I'm going to love her, but it makes me feel bad to be spending so much on something I might not like when it gets here. I need a new guitar, and I've got a list of books I want to read and I'll need new clothes eventually, so it comes down to it.

Are BJD's really worth it?

17. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you can ask that question, you aren't ready to jump head first into such an expensive hobby.

Basically ALL hobbies involve spending a lot of money, whether you knit, collect dolls or play with trains. Eventually you will spend a hefty amount of money on the hobby. But, I suppose, the is does capital outlay equal the return in pleasure, excitement, association with others of similiar interest?

18. I can't say I can relate to buyers remorse with dolls. What I can suggest is something that might help. If you're not working regularly, get a part time job. Once money is a little more in your control and you're not relying on gift money or funds that are from one time ventures, this will be a big help. You'll have control over the money comming into your hands and as such it won't be an either or purchase for you. You'll know that you can save for the doll while learning to budget for other purchases. Then it kills the remorse and you won't worry about that trip because you'll have put it into a budget if that's what you wanted and planed for it.

Hope this helps.

Christal

19. My first time buyer's nerves went away really quickly. I went from "Those are so beautiful but I'll never afford one" on Oct. 25, to "He's here!" on Dec. 15! I normally do get buyer's remorse about things, but I haven't regretted getting him at all, and am saving up for the next few dolls. I'm impatient enough that I'm considering putting off the more expensive doll for a while longer and getting the next least expensive on my list instead, just because I'll be able to afford him in a few weeks - and seriously considering putting the expensive one on layaway as soon as I possibly can.

If things go the way I think they will, by my birthday in March I'll have 2 dolls, a head, and another doll on layaway. This is an addictive sort of hobby, I think!

20. I am in that stage right now...i almost have all the money in hand but im in dire need of new clothes...but hey money comes and goes i say...I will get more eventually. its no big deal.if I have wanted this doll for so long so i would still get it especially if you waited a really long time and still like it just as much as when you first saw it.