1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

first time buyers nerves?

Dec 1, 2008

1. Look at it this way: You learn to sew new clothes for him and making human sized clothes for yourself will be a breeze!:lol:

2. I felt the exact same way when I ordered my first dolls...I ordered like 3 of them all around the same time...or well, they all decided to ship around the same time.My first doll was a Puki and I was feeling VERY pessimistic about it: was it worth it? I can't return her! And I don't wanna sell her...etc. And then when she arrived and I opened the box...all my worries flew out the window. I love her. It was the same for my 2 MSDs which decided to come in within the same week.
      I believe that hanging out with your dolls after a while and making stuff for them creates this weird bond between both parties. It sounds weird, but that's what it feels like to me.
      But my bank account wants to disagree with me...

3. I pretty much just told my mom I was saving my money for a doll and she complained. She asked me what I was going to do with it and then she told me that it was ridiculous because I'm a college student and then there was the whole why would you spend so much money on something. Now I'm second guessing myself and actually really wanting a doll.

4. I actually shelled out the money for my first doll about a week ago. He was kind of an impulse buy, but he was the first doll I had seen that I absolutely fell in love with at first sight! He's a LittleFee Shiwoo, and I already have a name, a desired outfit picked out... Now that I'm waiting for him I feel so much better about buying him. I'd been very hesitant about getting into the hobby because I have various other expensive collections... Such as my JRock CD/DVD collection and my love for going to concerts all across the nation. However... I felt so much better about it afterwards. The nerves were absolutely horrible before hand, but caving in and actually paying for him made me feel really good inside. ^^ (Hopefully I didn't babble to much and that all made sense. ><)

5. If you haven't thought of it already, it's a great time to learn how to sew while you're waiting for your doll. That way when he/she comes you can present them with their first gift from you (underware).

Christal

6. Was going to make separate thread, but found this one and diceded to use it for my question.
      Now time has come to buy my first doll. After 3 month of reading, chosing, investigating and loosing weight I finaly have money fo my doll. But now I'm soo lost. A month ago I was 100% sure what I want, but now, when I can really buy it I'm so confused. I thought it would be easier to chose and buy. I have 4 dolls in my mind now to chose from - Regen (Luts), Ripley (Dollmore), Berkut and Jace (Unidoll). I've read all feedback threads, read lots about handling and such. But still cant decide. Sure thing I understand its better to buy a doll you like, I would give, and I gave such advice myself, but still ... I'm so lost and confused now. And the more i think about it the more confused I become. I would be really grateful if someone could somehow direct me or give some advice.
      Thank you in advance.

P.S. I can knit and sew just fine btw. :)

7. You know, it's very strange that I never felt this way.
      I've always been kind of spending-phobic. I can sit and stare at something I want forever, going, "Is it really worth it? What else could I get with this money?" and I usually back out of purchases.
      The only leisure item I buy with any regularity is books, because they're not all that expensive and I know I can get a lot of use out of them. I'll read them again and again if they're good, and I just looooove having lots of books around the house. And lending out the ones I like to my friends so they can share in my favorite stories.
      So, to fork out almost $300 for a DOLL of all things, when I'd never even seen one in person before? Someone like me would have MAJOR second thoughts, right?
      Well, no. For some reason I didn't hesitate. I don't know why, but despite his price tag, I just new my boy was a worthwhile investment.
      Weird, yeah?

8. I personaly didnt see anything weird, I completely understand you :)

9. ughhh i'm at that stage right now. i've never owned one and i know almost nothing about these dolls but there's this one i want super bad only i'm kinda unsure about it. like i KNOW i want her but i'm afraid i might regret it later. granted she's not going to cost me a fortune and i have a steady job so the money will always come back but i'm still kinda scared. haha plus i dunno how my family (mostly my dad...) will react to me getting one. ughhh

10. I'm so nervous about my first doll.
      I was torn between tania and tatiana from ipple house, and i chose tatiana but now i'm not sure.
      i'm hoping i'd like because my darling helped me to buy her;It was his x-mas gift for me so i'm very touched and i think this doll will have a special meaning to me .But i'm so afraid that i might not like her.O my god....

11. I've finally decided that yes, I really do want a BJD after going to a meet and seeing some up close and even holding a few. I know exactly what girl I want as my first doll and I get excited just thinking about finally buying her and having her come home.

On the flipside, I've never bought anything over the internet before, let alone ebay(I'm planning on buying her from the B&G Doll seller on ebay). I've been stressing over the actual buying process, how it'll work once I press that 'buy now' button and all sorts of little anxiety issues. *_* I'm almost dreading my next paychecks because soon enough, I'll be able to afford her and have to take the plunge.

12. I can understand!!! I felt the exact same way... the pressure to buy the "perfect" doll with the hard earned money that you have saved! My first doll was "Yomo" and I love her to this day!!! After you buy the first one, it's like candy and you can't stop! :-)

-Kim

13. I had the exact feeling the OP mentioned with my first doll. By the time she arrived I didn't even want her.

14. its really hard to choose since they are very expensive.
      i'm planning to buy my first one but then when i like something, i find something else.
      i have to think it over deeply

15. I've very nervous about buying my first doll, but I am sure I will love him. There is no doubt in my mind that I will not regret spending the money (once I'll have it saved). :)

16. A month ago, I was staring at a picture on the company website that was bookmarked. I'd had it bookmarked for months contemplating if I really wanted it. It seemed like so much money. I'd never spent that much money on anything at one time in my life, not even my first car cost that much. (Albeit, it was a cheapy, but it got me around for four years) So I just told myself I'd save a little bit, put it on layaway and I'd get him sometime around summer.

Along came a convention. I got in the elevator and there were a few people asking questions about the con since they were there for another event. There was a lady in there explaining it to them and she said she was a dealer and had ABJDs. So I'm like... "Hmm... should I?"

I told myself to avoid the booth, but I went in and looked. I saw the prices and they seemed affordable but I couldn't put that much down at once. Then I overheard her say that she had a layaway plan. So I was like... Okay, should I? I can afford it! And... I fell in love with her sculpt, and got her.

Not even a month later, I'm hastily trying to sew together pants because my dream doll of several months is on his way here. >w< I probably would not have gotten him had my niece asked me to claim her and her daughter on my tax returns. I had enough to put into savings and enough to buy him.

Now that I spent this much, spending a little more or spending less on a doll probably won't bother me as long as I've managed to work for it. :) I just don't think I'll be buying anymore dolls for several months because I'd like to get them some clothes/accessories and I have bills to pay too. XD

17. Hahah, buying your first doll is a nerve-wracking experience. :]
      But really, I think that if one has stuck around to research the hobby and look at the dolls they want, then the doll will definitely be worth it.
      I spent three years researching and looking at ABJDs before I actually decided to get my first.
      And believe me, when I hit the 'confirm payment' button, I had did have my doubts right there and then.
      But when he arrived, it was love at first site and even though I did have a few problems with the shipping fee (>__>||), I still believe he was worth everything I paid to have him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: if you've spent this long researching and yearning for that one doll (or dolls, even), then the pruchase will definitely be worth every last cent.

18. im not sure if i have already said this but

i posted here before saying i just couldnt seem to dish out the money for a doll. i came very very close to buying a few different dolls but i would just keep putting it off for a few days and eventually change my mind.

when heliot came out i had no problem surrendering my money for him, the part that has my nerves twisted is making sure everything goes ok. i freak out every time a heliot goes back up for sale and i have to log on and make sure it wasnt mine. i stress over the payments going through and im stressed about how the shipping will go (after reading so many damaged dolls during shipment stories im terrified)

once he is home i will feel so sooo much better, i think alot of it has to do with this being my first doll.

whats weird is im in a split for ambers hooves and body and im buying my own heliot. out of the two you would think i would worry about the split more but i feel like this person is more under control than i am, even though they have never bought anything from soom before either

19. Buying from E-bay's not bad, really. When paying with a credit or debit card they sometimes charge some minor fees. It happened to my husband and I unexpectedly when I bought a 'practice head' from another seller. Buying on line in general isn't as scary as it seems so long as you're doing so on a site that explains their payment options clearly. When I finish with my current 'want' list, I'll likely be getting a B&G doll from their seller on E-bay since there are a few that I adore.

Really, the hard part isn't paying, even if you're nervous about doing so...it really IS the waiting. I just ordered my first two girls on the 20th, for my birthday gift from my hubby, and the waiting is already killing me and annoying him, lol.

And if you get nervous after paying, while waiting, that maybe it's not the right doll for you, nothing cures that faster than looking at owner pics here on DOA. I got that set of nerves the day after placing my order about one of the girls, and looking at the pics posted by other owners cleared it right up. ^-^ Of course...seeing the exact doll, with a different skin tone, that belongs to a friend helped tons, too, but not everyone has that option.

20. Haha, my nerves hit me over the head not on my first doll, surprisingly, but on my second one.

The first one I waffled on a little bit, but then decisively clicked "buy" and sent of $500 of my money.

...Then the second one... I was at Luts in my shopping cart for HOURS. Going back and forth, back and forth.... When I finally hit the "buy" button, I spent another hour looking over my credit card information. D=

And then I was shaking from the adrenalin for an hour after I made the purchase.

I know, it's sad. But it is really, really worth it. :)