1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

For clothing, what kind of closures do you prefer?

Jul 31, 2010

1. Mods: I searched but could only find a Tiny thread similar to this. This thread is also in the General Discussion because I'm asking not just people who sew, but people who buy clothes, as well. I do understand if this needs to be moved, though!

So I've been thinking about this a lot. I know what kinds of closers I prefer but I realized that it could make or break an outfit for someone else if their clothing is created the wrong way!

So...

When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      Do you like Snaps, Velcro, Hooks, Butons? Maybe lace or no closer at all (having to take your dolls head off)?

Which seems more professional to you?
      Do you think using things like velcro is unprofessional?

Would you buy clothing with closers you don't like?
      If you didn't like hooks, but saw a dress you just had to have, only to find out it had hooks on it... would you still buy it?

Would you make clothing with a closer you don't like?
      If you were following a pattern and it called for snaps, but you absolutely hated sewing them on, would you still do it?

2. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I really prefer snaps. I sew doll clothes, and most of those close with a snap. I also like corset lacing--it looks awesome and it's adjustable. Teeny buttons look great, but they're a hassle to use (all those wee buttons that close up a Fer? Not for me). Sometimes I use hooks, but not often as I'm worried thay could scratch the resin. I also make a lot of clothes that just pull on, like skirts with an elastic waist. I don't like taking my doll's heads off, personally, so I generally avoid clothes that make me do that.

Snaps or buttons. I don't care for velcro--it's really bulky and it always shows a little. Teeny dots of very soft velcro can be okay.

Probably, if it wasn't too expensive. I can sew pretty well, so I could always swap them out.

Yeah, I would on request. Well, someone would have to be a good friend (or paying me a lot of money) to make me sew tiny buttonholes. But hooks, snaps, whatever. Like I said, I don't like velcro, but I'll use it if I'm making clothes for a kid's doll.

3. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I am always really impressed by real working buttons. I've seen them on outfits as small as MSD. Second best I prefer snaps. Grommets and lacing is nice looking-but generally only works for certain kinds of outfits (like corsets)

If it requires my dolls head to come off, I am not buying it.

Yes and no. That cheap bulky velcro is a big no-no in my book, but that super thin 'does not stick to hair' velcro that barbie has had on her clothes for a few years isn't bad at all-its actually very handy on tiny clothes. Real button holes still takes the cake for most professional.

No. Unless I thought I could modify it easily.

No. All patterns are merely a guide, to be interpreted and redone as necessary ^_^

4. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I like velcro best, since it's quick and easy to use, but snaps and buttons look nicer.

Snaps or buttons, since they look nice and real clothing also uses these things, but velcro is fine aswell

Yes, because it doesn't matter so much the closure, what matters is how it looks.

It depends if it could be adjusted. If it could, I'd use something easier, but if not I'd just deal with it.

5. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      Do you like Snaps, Velcro, Hooks, Butons? Maybe lace or no closer at all (having to take your dolls head off)?

I generally don't like snaps(unless the're hidden under buttons) or hooks and I hate velcro. I want my doll clothes to look like downscaled human clothes and I don't care if I have to take their heads off as long as it looks realistic.

Yes. I think velcro looks very unprofessional. Zippers and buttons are more professional

If you didn't like hooks, but saw a dress you just had to have, only to find out it had hooks on it... would you still buy it?

If I really liked it yes. I could always change the closures if they really looked out of place.

If you were following a pattern and it called for snaps, but you absolutely hated sewing them on, would you still do it?

I make my own patterns so I do whatever I want. XD I always put the best looking/most suitable closure though no matter if I don't like doing it or not.

6. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?

I like my dolls' clothes to look as in scale to human clothes as possible. So if it's a stretch garment like a tshirt, I'd rather take my doll's head off. If it's a shirt or a coat, ideally I'd like working buttons, but as a seamstress I know that it can be hard to get the right colour in the right size for what you want, so snaps are acceptable. With dresses and pants, snaps, zips or hooks are all fine.

Velcro is unprofessional to me in that it is very bulky, and stops the clothes from sitting right imo. I think a professional maker should take these things into account when making clothes. As for the rest it really depends on the garment - as long as it doesn't distort the garment and things look as in scale as possible, it's professional to me.

If i really loved the item, yes.

I try not to, but I have if that's been the best option at the time.

7. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      Zippers or snaps. Though, I'm really partial towards clothing with elastic hidden in it so it's more one size fits all.

Zippers, snaps and the mentioned elastic give me the impression professionalism. -If sewn in right-
      I really dislike velcro sewn down the back of garments in large strips. To me It feels like the seamstress couldn't be bothered, time wise, to deal with something nicer.

If it was sewn in neatly and hidden in the fabric I would. If they were blatantly obvious I'd have to pass.

No, it's easy enough to alter a pattern to put in any closer I like. If I was in a hurry I might...

8. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I vastly prefer snaps. I'm no good at sewing in zippers and buttonholes totally escape me as a sewing skill. Interestingly, the one doll item of clothing I've sold a fair few of has no snaps, buttons, zippers or velcro at all--I make yukata (summer lightweight cotton kimono), which don't need such things.

Many doll companies make clothing with velcro, so it's not fair to call using it "unprofessional". Cheap, maybe, especially since most velcro eventually loses its grip (I tend to replace it with snaps).

Of course I would! I'd just replace the closure mechanism with something I prefer. Then again, as a seamstress I have that option.

I'll close my doll's clothing with whatever I choose, thanks. The only clothing item I could see this being a problem with would be something that was made to be laced up, like a corset, or something that needs a zipper. And, as I said, I can't sew zippers, so I'd either find an alternative or just choose a different item of clothing.

9. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?

From experience, it's a tie between zippers and Velcro. Zippers are still easy to use on doll clothes, and you don't have to worry about an outfit opening up. Velcro, is probably the old standby for me. Even a little kid can do Velcro. It just makes things simpler.

Do you think using things like Velcro is unprofessional?

In this hobby, it's my opinion that using the word 'professional' around doll clothes - unless we earn our living making them - seems a little strange. Hypothetically, if I'm going to create a certain outfit, I'd want it to be easy to take on or off. I'd want to make my life as easy as possible. Velcro is just so easy to pull off, and saves a more complex outfit a lot of hassle! :)

(I changed 'hooks' to 'buttons') If you didn't like buttons, but saw a dress you just had to have, only to find out it had buttons on it... would you still buy it?

Most likely not. Hooks don't seem bad. Buttons, I think, would probably be the most difficult, which is why I changed the question. Funny-shaped, human-sized buttons are hard enough for me to open and close outfits with. But the thought of regular- or funny-shaped buttons that are doll-sized don't seem like a walk in the park, either. If I bought such an outfit with small buttons, I really doubt I'd dress my doll in it for long - or I'd end up keeping them in it for a very long time. I'm lazy, and I hate difficult buttons!:lol:

If I was making an outfit, I think I'd probably find some way to put velcro in place. Maybe - maybe - I'd make it look like there were buttons, but the real closure would be the velcro.
      Now, to learn to sew...

10. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?

I want the closest thing to however a real human garment would be made. I don't like to sacrifice this, but I understand the labour it involves. Velcro can damage delicate pieces with wear and tear, so that is my least favorite method.

See above.

I probably would still purchase it. I'm not an unreasonable person, so if I really love something and maybe the fasteners were off, I'd buy it and probably 'fix' it if possible.

No 8U Why would I do that? I respect my own works enough to do them to my tastes. :) It may take longer with making/finding materials/dressing, but I think the effect is worth it.

11. I like snaps, because they're pretty easy but they don't come apart without you expending some effort, so there's less chance of accidental openage than with velcro. And I like hook-and-eye because I'm pretty used to those. Plus, both types of closure come in tiny sizes and it's not too much trouble to find them.

I'm okay with zippers even though they're not my favourite. Buttons that small are too much hassle when functional. I love frog closures. Velcro gets stuck to too much and doesn't always stick to itself under all circ.s. I also like lacing, on corsets and some dresses and such.

=^__^=
      Anneko

12. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      Personally, I put snaps on EVERYTHING. ^_^;; I love the look of real buttons but taking stuff on and off in doll scale can be really hard, I hate hooks even on MY clothing, and I have yet to find a good supply of doll-size zippers. I really don't like no-closure, because I don't want to take heads off just to change their clothing.

It's less a matter of professionalism and more about practicality. Depending on what the clothes are made of I might even use velcro for a closure, but I have a fair number of barbie doll clothes that have gotten horribly snagged on the stuff. I think snaps are the easiest to use, but lacing looks more 'professional' on historical clothing.

Yeah, it's not that big a deal. I might be a little annoyed if I were going for accurate historical clothing at it had snap closures though. And items that require head removal wouldn't get used very often.

Only if the person I was making it for asked me to. ^_^; But since the people I've made clothes for so far don't pay me for my work, I don't think they have much room to complain.

13. I don't really have a favorite, yet. For now I use methods suitable to the type of clothing. Most of the outfits they wear use obi, himo and such.
      Few weeks ago I made my girl a summer dress and used velcro. It is easy to sew, but not always suitable. Cloaks get hooks mostly.

14. I use snaps, I do not really like velcro and the way it gets stuck in everything ^^'

15. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?

I prefer zippers, snaps, and buttons... depending on the garment type/application. Teeny corset lacing looks nice but it drives me crazy lacing and unlacing each time. I think velcro looks and feels a bit cheap, so I wouldn't want it used as a main garment closure unless it's a very cheap garment... I do have a couple of Dollheart dresses that ue velcro just for cuffs and sleeve openings... I'm not overly fond of it but can accept that it's probably there because anything else would be too bulky or require elastic.

I don't like having to take off hands or heads to put doll clothing on- that would be a complete dealbreaker for me and I won't purchase something if it requires me to remove parts. This isn't just me being lazy (though some of it is XD)- sometimes it's quite impractical... like my Bluefairy dolls who don't have a slot to slip the s hook through their heads, or my Bambicrony who came with hands tied on with string (and the s hooks I bought for her made the posing a bit stiff). If I had a faceplate system doll with magnetic hands perhaps I wouldn't mind removing them for a change of clothing.

If I like the outfit enough, if it's cheap enough, or (more likely) if I don't realize what kind of closures it has when I buy. Few companies show detailed pictures of the closures they use, so there are some times when I've been surprised by something I've bought or seen posted. I wish companies would always disclose things like needing to remove hands or heads at the very least- sometimes it's hard to tell how wide a neck opening or cuff is just from a photo.

Making doll clothing drives me a bit nuts, I find buttonholes and invisible zippers can be enough of a pain on human sized clothing, so in doll scale... I don't think I'd have the patience.

16. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?
      I'd say Buttons are my favorite in general, but it still depends on the piece of clothing. Of course I prefer lacing or hooks for a corset or no closures at all for a regular T-shirt. As long as it's possible to make the piece look as 'normal' and simply down-scaled to dolly-size as possible, I'll go with every method that fits.

Which seems more professional to you? Do you think using things like velcro is unprofessional?
      Unprofessional - not necessarily. But it still impresses me more when I see outfits with teeny tiny buttons that work just like regular human clothes.

Yes. The general appearance of the outfit just matters more to me.
      I normally do not like to take my doll's heads off to put on their tops for example, but one of them just happens to like turtlenecks a lot. So there we go - off with the head for the sake of dressing the doll fittingly for their character/style.

Probably not if there are alternatives. I'd see if I could find a way to work around it without completely ruining - for instance - a pattern. If the clothes simply require this certain closure though, for whatever reason, then I'd go for it anyway.

17. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?

It depends on what's the most garment appropriate -- I like my dolly jeans to have a button or snap and preferably a zipper. With shirts, if they have enough room or give to pull over the head, then they don't need closures. However, if more space is needed in the neckline to do that, I prefer snaps or buttons going down the back part way (no more than is needed to get the shirt off) -- I would rather the whole back didn't open. For shirts that are supposed to button down the front, I prefer actual and buttons.

With velcro, it depends on how it's used. I have one shirt that opens just a short way down the back and it uses a small piece of velcro. It's hardly noticeable, so in that case I think it's fine. Big strips of velcro going all the way down the back doesn't look so good to me (though I have some home made tee's like that). When it comes to professionalism, for me it's how the garment looks -- if whatever closure being used is glaringly obvious and distracting, it's going to look unprofessional no matter what it is (I'm talking about places in garments where there wouldn't normally be closures in the human versions).

It would depend on the overall garment. The closures are just one part of that.

Lol, I have done that in the past. Mostly because I used to be really paranoid about pulling shirts off over doll heads, so I wanted velcro down the back to save me from having to do that. After awhile I stopped worrying about it, and the need for so much velcro is gone.

18. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?

I like snaps on doll clothing, because they are unobtrusive and easy to use. If it is a garment that would normally have buttons (like a man's shirt), I prefer buttons, but they must be in scale. I really don't mind any kinds of closure as long as it is in scale or in the case of velcro, if it isn't bulky and obtrusive.

I am more concerned with the overall look of the garment than the method of closure. I have no problem with any closure as long as it is well done.

I might if it was possible for me to change the part I didn't like. If a shirt had out of scale buttons and big buttonholes, there's not much I could do about that, but if a dress had a bulky velcro closure, I could replace it with snaps.

No, I probably wouldn't unless the piece couldn't fasten any other way.

19. When it comes to your dolls clothes, what kind of closures do you prefer?

It really depends on the garment and what it requires to look and hang correctly. I am willing to take my doll's head/hands/feet off if required to achieve a certain look with a garment.

Professional to me means using whatever the particular garment requires. I don't use Velcro very much at all, but I have put it in a couple of my jeans flies to hold them closed. Velcro has its place but it needs to be applied correctly and in small pieces.

I am a seamstress, so I don't buy clothes as a rule, but if I were in that situation, sure-because I could change what I didn't like.

NA. I make my own patterns, so I use whatever I like. I'm personally fond of a hook with thread eye closure, with snaps in second place and buttons with buttonholes in third (The placing is primarily in order of effort for me). I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for false button fronts with snaps, they're too bulky, so I won't do those any more. I also like lacing, but it sure adds to the dressing time!

20. Snaps or velcro preferred, definitely for me. Hooks and buttons can be a little big and out of scale and also hard to use especially in the tinier clothing.