1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

For Second Hand Owners - Your stance in changing the doll's name

Dec 21, 2016

1. I think that changing a doll's name, even second hand, would be natural. After all, the doll isn't the same character for you as it was for it's previous owner. And as everyone else has also said, you did buy it.. there is no reason for it not to be fully yours.

2. If I'm buying a secondhand doll, I'm buying an object, not a character and not a living being. It's not like adopting someone's dog after they develop allergies, you're buying an object that won't know the difference if the last owner called it Princess Angelina Contessa and you're calling it Margaret. I don't have a large number of secondhand dolls in my collection, and for most of them, I don't even know the original name, because they are sold as an object, not a character. They're listed as "Luts Ani," not "Princess Angelina Contessa the fourth, ruler of the land of Waffleberries."

In fact, I only know the original names of two of my dolls. One, because I did some research here due to some conflicting information in the listing (and the poor condition he arrived in compared to how he was sold to me), and the other, because I knew the original owner. Both have been changed substantially and no longer even look like the original doll, much less share a name with it. Neither owner expected the name to be kept, and in the case of the latter, the original owner even knew I planned to mod her and was curious how different the same doll would look in the end.

3. I've never bothered to see what character the doll used to be before I bought it. I mean I figure it didn't work out if the person is selling them.

I think it's a bit crazy if someone was adamant the doll be the same character even after selling. If you don't want it to change, you better keep it in your own collection.

4. I think it's interesting to see what the previous owner did with the doll and how different your own ideas are. :) Still, I don't think any person who sells their doll expect the next owner to keep the name, let alone the same personality. @_@;

5. This 1000%
      On the other hand, I do understand buying a doll because you liked what the original owner had done with it...but it's still possible to do your own thing with said doll and maintain what you originally liked.
      Way back in the day - 2008-2009 - I followed a BJD owner on DA who had a few characters I really liked. After a while she put those dolls\heads up for sale. I scrambled to buy one of them so I would know where he went XD - he'd had custom scars and a faceup done so he was kind of unique and I had no character for him or anything. When I got him I still changed everything about him other than his aesthetic work. Name, character, style. His old character, who I liked, wasn't mine and I would never have dreamed to keep it. A million years later I updated his faceup but kept the original scar work, so when I look at him all I see is my character...but I know where he came from, and that still makes me smile.

6. Once you pay for the doll it is yours completely and you can do whatever you want with it, I don't think you need to ask for permission to the old owner because the new owner is you now! if you think you have to ask permission it feels like you don't have complete ownership of the doll.

7. I assume if someone is selling their doll, whatever character they had is no longer important or they are otherwise being reshelled. Especially if what they are selling is just the head. Regardless, if they are selling the doll, then I would assume they are fine with you changing whatever you want about it. They no longer have right to claim ownership once you have given them the money for it.

8. I recently bought a secondhand doll and I already have a character for it in mind so he will defenitly get my charakters name.
      And I also will give him a new face up.
      I think that if you sell something than you should accept this.
      If the doll is for a person to important than the previous owner should not sell it.

9. I had no problems changing Reika's name.
      I'm friends with her first two owners. Her last owner encouraged me to give her a new name, and I don't remember if she had changed her name at all to be honest. The first few times I talked to my friend (her first owner) she still called her by her old name, Aria.

10. I did keep one of my doll's name I bought second hand but for the most part, I'd rather make them my own unless they already have a character I like and the seller doesn't mind me keeping that character.

11. I don't have any problem with changing a doll's name or personality. Thinking back on it, I've never really asked about the name or history of any secondhand doll I've purchased.

If I purchase something, it becomes my property - at which point I can call it whatever I please, modify it as I see fit, and whatever becomes of it in the future ceases to be the concern of any past owners. If I want to dye it blue and call it Delores Fidgetbutt I will.

Selling a doll with contingencies attached is absolutely something I would never do and something I heavily frown upon.

12. I buy a doll to make into my own character. Maybe if I found one that had a name I really liked, I might ask to keep it the same, but that's never happened before.
      I have, however, sold a doll and the buyer liked the name enough to keep it as is. I was also fine with that, but I'm definitely not forcing my names or characters on other people.

13. I don't own any second hand dolls right now, but I'm sure I would change the name if I got one. It might feel a little different if it was a fully customized gift from a friend or something like that, but if you paid money for the doll then you have the right to do anything you want with it.

14. I always change the name of the new doll bought second hand. But one doll lives with the old name, because I like it.

15. I think if you are stuck for a new name it can help sometimes to just try the name the other person gave. Of course there is no obligation to keep the name and most times I never even ask what the name was before.

If a owner asked me to keep the name and character I would definitely wonder if the person should be selling the doll, it would show a deep attachment.

16. i don't think i would personally keep the name of a secondhand doll. i have a secondhand head and never once thought to keep the previous doll name (highly doubt the previous owner would even like me doing so anyway haha). once i bought it, i thought of him as his own character, my character.
      i think if an owner of a doll they are selling wants you to keep the name as a form of respect, it would make me wonder if they really want to sell it in the first place. once you receive the payments and send it off, you have no claim or ownership over what the new owner does with it. frankly, insisting the new owner keeps the name (or telling them what they can or can't do with it) is rude, and no-one has a right to do that!
      i also agree that new owners of secondhand dolls should ask permission if they do intend the keep the same name. doing THAT is a sign of respect.

17. If you're sentimental about a doll, don't sell it to me because not only will I change everything about it and not care about your character or styling at all but I will likely carve it up like a Christmas ham through modding >.>

18. I feel like if you are selling a doll, you are releasing all attachment from it.

When you buy a doll, it is then yours and you are free to do as please. I have been on both ends, and I can say any doll I have sold--- I was just happy it was going to a good owner who would enjoy it.

I have renamed my second hand Angela.

19. For one thing, 'secondhand dolls' are a bit different than used clothes ... I don't believe I know the previous incarnations of any of the dolls I've bought from previous owners rather than from companies. Of course I don't keep the names/back stories of COMPANY dolls either LOL I am shelling characters.

20. When I bought my doll secondhand, I met with the seller in person and she never mentioned that she had a name...so I didn't think to ask.
      Well I have given her a name, and I think it's more than fine since sellers SHOULD be prepared for their ex-dolls to have a new name, new style, new life...since they are selling it after all. The money now belongs to them, and the doll belongs to you. I don't really think it's realistic for the sellers to expect for their buyers to keep the doll's personality, style, character, name, etc since it doesn't belong to them anymore.
      It's nice that you think about respecting previous owner, though, its the thought that counts.