1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

For Second Hand Owners - Your stance in changing the doll's name

Dec 21, 2016

1. I prefer to buy secondhand and I'll happily rename them. I have to admit, if the seller asked me to keep the name I would find it... rather strange. On the other hand, if the doll comes with a lovely custom faceup from a great artist I'd feel terrible wiping it when someone else might want it as is. But I know lots of people are fine with that so - everyone's different!

2. I bought my first doll secondhand and I didn't feel weird changing his name. His previous owner was with me in person at the time and didn't seem to have a problem with it.

3. I will not ask as I had paid for it.
      The doll is mine.

It's up to anyone who paid for it to rename it to which ever name they want.
      There is no need to feel bad.

But I will probably feel super awkward if a seller tells me not to change it's name.. :nowords:
      Maybe I'll pass..

4. I have no problem changing a second hand dolls name. Most of mine have just come with the sculpt name.

If I had a friend that sold a special doll out of necessity however, I would probably keep the character and name the same. Its hard to change up a doll you met before purchasing.

5. I am perfectly fine with changing the name unless special reasons, I have most of my dolls second handed and always did that

6. Nope, once I buy it, I do what I want with it. Most of the time, I'm not even aware of what the previous owner called their doll.

7. People's opinions on this vary, it's interesting. Personally, one of my dolls is second hand and I chose his name... his previous owner didn't tell me whether he had a name or not, just the sculpt name. I don't really think they would mind, I mean if they're getting rid of them then they must not have that much of an attachment to them. Ultimately, it's your decision at the end of the day, if they're selling the doll then they need to let them go completely.

8. I always change their names. Once they come into my home they become whoever I want them to be.

9. Even that's completely doable, though. Though, to a degree, it would likely depend on your approach. I have a doll who did come from a friend in the community, that got renamed when she came to me, and has started her makeover with a dye job, so she no longer looks like the same doll at all. (Another, I've seen photos of his prior life, but again, aesthetics make all the difference and it's unlikely anyone would recognize them as the same doll anymore.)

Motivations would make a difference, too, though. If a friend were selling a beloved doll out of financial hardship, I'd probably keep the name and character, either in the hopes they could buy it back, or with the intent to gift it back. But if it's being bought purely for myself, then even if I "knew" the doll and character before, change will happen.

10. If you paid for it it's your doll. Name it as you please.

11. I'm not even sure that I've ever seen a doll in the marketplace with it's current name listed. So I feel fine changing the name since I don't know what it was.

12. I'm really surprised by how vehement some people are about this, though I guess I shouldn't be. Even if the dolls are just resin, people's characters tend to mean a lot to them.

As for me, I think it would depend on a case by case basis. If the person selling the doll lists their name or details about the character, I'd probably be inclined to keep it (though I would ask first). If they just list the sculpt name and don't say anything about the character, I'd definitely come up with a name on my own. Especially if they do like some people and wipe the faceup before it's sold, I'd feel especially weird about asking to keep the "personal" name.

13. I sell Barbie dolls on eBay often, and sometimes I end up with a Barbie with a name sharpied on it. Just for fun I list the little girls name as the dolls name when I sell them like that (With full disclosure that the name is written on the doll) It adds a fun touch and leaves people wondering how I came up with the name until they click on my sales page.
      Other than my few personal listings , I dont think I have seen any 2nd hand BJD's listed with their names. Just company name.

14. I wouldn't have a problem

15. Unless it's a name that I'm particularly fond of, I change it as soon as I can. Although I don't usually pay much attention to who I'm buying from anyway, outside of their feedback, so unless the seller lists the name in the ad I wouldn't know it.

16. I've bought many second hand dolls. Most I don't even know what their original name was. I recently bought a doll from an online friend and I really liked the name the doll had. I asked her if she would mind me keeping the doll's original name. I think you should ask to use someone else's name, but I would never ask to change the dolls name. Once the doll becomes mine, I'm most likely going to name it whatever goes with the character they will become.

17. It would really creep me out if I sold a doll and someone bought it and continued the character, but it would also greatly amuse me.

18. Eh. I don't even usually keep my secondhand dolls in one piece when I buy them--the only on-topic doll I purchased second hand has been separated from it's head and dyed dark brown.

As others have mentioned, this might be because I firmly think of dolls as things, not entities with some sort of awareness or "soul."

I'm not sure I even really think of people as having a "soul" in the spiritual sense (but rather that it's sort of an emergent property of brain function). I've included this just to sort of illustrate that I'm a pretty practical and unromantic sort of person, perhaps other people have harder times with it than I do.

So no, I don't keep the name, and I don't really give that a second thought. In the many dolls (although mostly off-topic) I have purchased second hand, I'm not even sure I know what the original owner called them, or if they had a name other than the original company name.

19. I would rename it, and without asking, since I paid for it ^^

20. Exactly:thumbup