1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

For Second Hand Owners - Your stance in changing the doll's name

Dec 21, 2016

1. I never even thought about it! I mean, they are selling the doll, so they are no longer in charge of what happens with it. Plus, previous owners have never kept in touch with me beyond the sale to say that they wanted the name to stay or go... I would guess most would want the name to be changed because they might have some special character for that name and not want it going off to be used by someone else.

I think it's nice to consider the former own's feelings, but to me--it's totally not something I've ever worried about.

2. I think very often dolls are sold because the owners have 'reshelled' the character - so why keep the name?
      Most of the time resellers don't even tell me what they named the doll originally (and I never thought to ask...)

3. My first doll was pre loved, and I discussed with her previous owner my plans to change her name.. she told me she thought the name was very cute and would suit her, which made me feel nice :)

4. When I buy a secondhand doll online, such as the DOA marketplace, the sellers very rarely provide details about the doll's previous character, such as name and personality. Renaming is pretty much required, and is definitely my strong preference.

However, I've also bought a couple dolls off of a friend locally, where I knew the history, their characters and names. And in those cases, I did keep the names, simply because I couldn't see them being called anything else. But it was my choice, and my friend would have had no problem if I decided to change them.

5. Personally, I would be a little miffed if someone kept a doll's name! Like, get your own ideas! (Though if they completely changed everything about the character and design I guess it would be more of a compliment...?)

I've only ever bought one doll secondhand and I did learn the name his first owner gave him because I was rummaging through their posts, but I've since forgotten it. :XD: He's just Vit now!

6. I think it's completely fair game to change the name, and actually, if you're going to keep the name I would think it's polite to ask permission since there is probably a character or story attached to it.

When I bought my secondhand doll, I changed the name right away and didn't mention it to the seller. They commented on it afterwards that they thought the name new name was cute! :hug:

7. You absolutely should be able to do whatever you want with it! However, I do think it's polite to give the previous owner a heads up that you intend to change things. I do the same when I buy characters or virtual pets online.

8. It depends. Some dolls I got secondhand, the previous owner didn`t tell me a name, so I didn`t bother to ask, and just renamed them. On others, the owner told me the names...I changed the names, but kept their original names as their middle names.
      Like, I got a vampire doll the previous owner had named Isabella right when the Twilight books were popular, and I was just like nope. So now she`s Kayin Isabella, though I rarely use her middle name.

9. That's a really cute idea!

10. My secondhand doll didn't come with a name or they at least never told me what it was, so I never had the problem of changing it. But I think if you now own the doll there should be no issue with changing it.

11. I'm new to bjds, but I agree with many of the other posters. It's like the doll is getting a whole new life with you, so a whole new name seems appropriate.

12. I would be kinda mad if someone kept the name of a doll I sold, honestly (if they didn't ask, anyway). That name is tied to a character I created. It wasn't the character I sold, but the doll. Maybe I'm reshelling, maybe I just needed some money for other things in life. Either way, the character is still mine, the doll belongs to whomever I sold it to.

13. I tend to return to the sculpt name and then let the doll tell me their name. A few have refused (or I have selective deafness) so they are still stuck with their original sculpt name some years later! One exception was my UNOSS, it happened that her old name’s first initial, ‘B’, fit with the doll name concept I liked, “Genki Bee”. So I took that as a sign to keep it. Her former owner had passed away so it felt ok to retain the symbol. B for Belle. UNOSS tend to have their own stronger personalities to me anyway so I’m sure this doll would have indicated quickly if she wanted a different name. :D

14. I never keep the name. I like to back track to see the dolls history but once I have the doll I get to figure out who the doll is for me.

15. I definitely like to ask what the dolls name might have been, I have a really hard time naming any of my dolls, I still haven’t named any of them!!!! Oops!

16. I own several secondhand dolls, but I knew none of their previous names...which I was kind of happy about, to be honest, as I was buying them because of the character I perceived they had and knowing their old names might have altered my perception/made me less likely to buy the doll.

On the other hand, sometimes something as simple as a name can inspire a character, so...who knows, maybe a pre-named doll will grab me in the future. I would still want free reign with the character, though, once the doll was in my possession.

17. Even for my already owned dolls i change their names as i planed them new face-ups. I feel like every time the face-up changed their characteristics must somehow varied too, and it would be a great chance to let them rebirth by offering new names.

18. I never have and don’t think I ever will, but once when I sold a doll the buyer asked if she could keep her name and I said yes. She actually ended up changing it after having the doll for a while (though the new name was somewhat similar, both started with J) but I thought it was really cute she wanted to keep it, honored she liked it c:

19. Of all the second hand dolls I've owned, I only found out their previous names by accidentally finding old posts featuring them, but for some I didn't even find that and don't know what they were named before, if named at all. So needless to say, I have renamed every second hand doll I own.

For me personally, if I were to sell my dolls I wouldn't want the next owner to use their same name. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'd want them to keep the face up (unless it was a company one or one that I didn't do myself) on my doll. I see my dolls as my own personal characters and creations, so having someone else have control of that would feel strange to me. Not to mention, the customization aspect of dolls is one of my favorite things about them, so being unable to change a doll's name or face would make it less fun for me.

20. I would have no qualms with changing the name of a second hand doll I purchased, and certainly would understand and actually assume the name to be changed on any doll I sold.
      I think once a doll is sold its the new owners right to do as they please.