1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

for the storytellers among us:

Nov 29, 2010

1. I only intend on getting one, because I'd love to see my dearest character in a new way. I know myself well enough to know that I couldn't create a place for an impulse buy, I'd end up selling it........

2. I'm actually rather infamous to my family and friends for suddenly selling off all my dolls and then getting new ones. In the past I tried to shell some of my most beloved OC from stories I've had for what feels like forever... but even a mould that should have been perfect never could cut it. I realized there was no doll for these characters -that could live up to the image and spirit that was in my mind. I decided that since it has been a few years since I have made a character a proper new story I would try that. Thus my Nico was born, and from her came others. So the story and characters were developed first but because they were still so young in my mind it was easier to find moulds that would make me happy as the characters. As much as I love my older OC - I don't think I could ever create them as dolls because they are too chiseled out in my brain for me to accept anything less than their perfected image.

3. Resurrecting this topic, because this is the story of my life (in the BJD hobby).

The first doll I bought was a shell for Vega, a very old, established original character from my made-up universe. Then I started experiencing what I call "continuity disconnect". If Vega exists in his own universe, why would he now come into my world -- and why would he come as a doll? Yes, that is a question that I actually have to answer! After I tried (and failed) working with Vega's shell, I started buying dolls that I liked and then built characters around them. But something still didn't feel right: I was getting dolls but without a clear story or vision for their existence. So the characters didn't mesh with the dolls, their reasons for existing in my world were incoherent, and as a collective they all felt wrong -- nothing quite fit properly.

It was all very frustrating. Eventually I got disillusioned with the hobby and my dolls, and took a hiatus for about a year. Now I understand why (or one reason) I burnt out: I never answered that continuity question, so that "disconnect" plagued me no matter what I tried. That's why my collection seemed aimless and I was unhappy with what I was doing. It was only when I put my dolls out of sight and got some distance between me and the hobby, that I could identify what worked and what didn't.

In the end, I solved the problem through one of my dolls, Syr: of all my collection she had the most "settled" character, and I found myself most invested in her story. So Syr's background became the world for my dolls. And I also realized that I cannot shell existing OCs (especially not one as established and fully imagined as Vega) but have to let the sculpt inform the characters I create.

This did the trick. Everything fell into place. Now all the dolls I bought in that haphazard phase have been sold, and apart from Vega (who still exists in my mind - quite happy to stay there kthxbye), all the other characters have melted back into the void -- which just shows how little I cared about them in the first place! OTOH, Syr and the newer dolls are just growing and their stories becoming more alive and complex. Not only do I like the sculpts I'm buying, I'm invested in their characters, their doll shells have a purpose and they all look nice together! Yeah, my dolls had their own search for the meaning of life. :XD:

I'm much, much happier with my doll family than I used to be. I can truly say that the dolls I currently have at home are my "forever" dolls and I'm absolutely happy with the sculpts, the characters and their world. I guess did it the opposite way - figured out the problem before doing a resin cull - but the dolls and my imagination had to work together to achieve a better outcome. :)

4. I've added characters as I've found dolls I liked and wanted to own, but I've always loved the characters and felt they fit seamlessly into my story. I can't see myself selling any of my dolls anytime soon, and I doubt it would improve my story in any way!

5. My first few dolls I bought just because I liked them. Then I started to learn more and look at sculpts to try and shell some of my OCs. This has for me been wonderful and I love these dolls even more as they are important characters with a backstory. I have now sold a couple of the early ones as I did not find them as interesting as well as I learned that I'm only really interested in dolls >60cm. I'm keeping one msd as I just love his look but will not get anymore. I am happy with who I have now:)

6. I think in a way I got lucky.

I have a story that I want to tell, and I thought that getting a BJD would help me want to spend the time writing. When I first started looking at dolls, I hadn't been planning on my first doll being the main character of my story. Instead I found a doll I really liked and ordered her. I realized through the process of buying eyes, a wig, and clothing for her, that despite my desire to not make this doll into my OC I sort of had... Due to money issues, it started seeming less and less likely that I would be able to get a second doll any time soon. And the less likely it seemed I'd be able to get a doll for my OC, the more I wanted a doll for her.

I was sad when I found out that the order from the company to the dealer went missing, but it was also a blessing. I was able to get a full refund, and not have to worry about possibly not bonding with a doll and/or trying to sell her in the Marketplace. Now I can take that money and put it towards a doll to better represet my OC.

7. For me, the characters and stories existed long before the dolls. Generally, I don't buy dolls that aren't going to be an avatar of a particular original character of mine. I do have two that don't "fit in" to my stories, but that's okay. I am planning to re-home those two. I can't see myself doing a purge any time soon, unless it happens to be for urgent financial reasons.