1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Forming a doll's personality...

Mar 17, 2011

?
  1. Yes, of course! They all do!

2. No! That's crazy!

3. Only some of them do.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I voted "only some".

My Dollfie Dream girls have a strong personality to me. They are self-aware of being dolls and do silly things. The more realistic sculpts have more realistic characters to match. I treat them more like character models (for my writing) rather than "dolls".

It doesn't help that I find unserious caricatured personalities more interesting to play with.

2. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      I find that each of them already have their own personality or take on the personality they want to!

How do you go about forming your doll's personality?
      they kinda just have one and i dress to suit and buy items that go with what suits that doll and they develop from there. i find planing their style doesnt always work

What do you do when your doll has a totally different personality than you expected they would?
      i go with it mostly as it works well that way - its just a getting to know your doll

3. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?

Definitely! That's part of the draw of the hobby for me-- most of the dolls on my wishlist are for definite characters, some are fan dolls, and then I want the cast of the novel I'm working on, and some just characters and worlds I've come up with but don't know what I'll do with.

It depends. Vince's character just developed, Maurice the floating head takes a lot of his personality from some rather silly little comics I'd drawn, and from some stories I'd written. And then the two on layaway are based on pre-existing characters that I didn't create.

What do you do when your doll has a totally different personality than you expected they would?

Roll with it, baby. Or at least so I imagine. Vince has sort of evolved a little on his own, but it was still in the same direction I'd expected.

=^__^=
      Anneko

4. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      yes every doll in my collection has a unique character.

I write and every doll is a shell for an original character. Their personality belongs to the character they represent, all of the likes, dislikes, and history ect.

It doesn't happen. If a doll arrives and doesn't fit the character I had planned the doll doesn't stay. Dolls are expensive and I don't collect them just to look at. I am actually not much of a doll person. They are pretty and all but I never liked dolls, even as a child. There is something special about BJD's and I connect with them. They only remain special so long as they represent my characters for me. When they stop representing my characters, despite being pretty, they become very expensive objects of clutter. I have a huge issue with clutter. It is part of my bipolar manic tendencies. I have to rid my home of clutter. I do not collect anything except books.

5. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?

Currently all of my dolls have their own personalities and characters. They are always changing their attitudes and stuff. It's fun trying to work with them all.

I try to give them personalities while I am waiting for them to arrive...or when adding them to my wishlist. It helps me to get excited for them. That said, a lot of the time...see question three...

My first doll is an example of this. She isn't acting how I thought she would at all. I believe it is because her body doesn't really fit her face and what I had in mind for her. So we're working on changing this. My second doll fits her personality exactly, although we've had a few changes to her history and character because she's starting to get even more snark in her. *laugh* My first boy's personality is sweet with me for the most part, but stick him in front of the camera and he's a sulky little thing unless he gets to wear his dress. Bugger. My newest two dolls are still in the process of working things out--since they arrived faster than I could complete my plans for them. It's turning out to be even more fun with them because it's all a big surprise~!

6. All of my dolls have a personality. :) On occasion it will happen that I'll get a doll that does not "speak" to me and has no personality, but that doll usually ends up being rehomed due to the lack of rapport.

7. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      Ehm yeah kinda, it's fun to make up personalities to your doll. It makes them more real to me <3 and fun to have in my room.

Ehm I first need a face, and style of clothing. Ehm all kinds of things that makes me put a personality to them. I also very much look at height. Like for smaller SD's I make them more shy or cute like. Dunno how to explain. But it's a big factor for me in making their own 'design'

I just go with it. I;m used to hearing from others dolls change.. Mine has changed a lot.
      I thought he would be more shy but ended up being the most cutest, and straight forward thing ever. I love it.
      Like people dolls can change too I supose.

But yeah besides it all. All my dolls got a personality. Even the one's who aren't even here yet. I love making up a story behind their personalities and such. You can let your imagination run wild. And do stuff to do them you'd never do yourself, want to, but can't. And everything you love to see in the real life, you can put into your dolls. Just how YOU like them. And that makes it so much fun I think.
      I love mine (and upcoming) more with the day because that way I feel they grow and learn so much about them <3

8. I wasn't sure what my doll's personality or character would be like when I first ordered her, but her background has really filled out over the last couple weeks. I'm sure it might change dramatically once I get her though.

Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?

Yes, definitely.

For me, it started out with choosing my doll. I choose a doll that matched the character I wanted, which in this case, was an elf. After that, I choose her hair and eyes. Once I knew those, I came up with her name. Other details started to flow after that. Eventually, I started filling out a character worksheet for the specifics.

My first doll, Lucienne, hasn't shown up yet, so we will have to see what happens.

9. I voted yes. Certainly my dolls have thier personalities...some are not quite as developed as others...I think that happens over time as I bond with them on an individual bases.

10. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      I don't have personalities that I'm trying to shell in a doll, but I do sometimes give my dolls personalities and characters. Some will take to this better than others! Some don't come with any strong ideas of mine at all...

It depends on the doll. I go for some because I just love how they look. I will try and create characters for them that go along with that. Others totally inspire me and come with backstories and characters. Others remind me of characters of mine, but not quite, so I maybe will make alternate universe histories to suit them. Some just sit there and won't tell me who they are! But most of the time I'll at least get a vague idea.

Although I buy based on the individual doll foremost, I still like them having personalities and characters and stories. But I don't force it. If they inspire me, they inspire me. If they don't do that right away, that's OK, too.

I'll go with the flow... I find you can't really force things like that! I don't see why they shouldn't have a personality that suits them, rather than get one forced on them. The more characters and stories, the better, to my mind!

I think it's fun to come up with new characters. It's one of the things I enjoy about bjds. :D

11. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?

Each doll has a personality. Some are shells for fully-developed characters. I technically give these personalities, as the dolls are inert, but it often seems they tell me who they are. ;)

I almost never know who a doll is going to be until it arrives. I rarely have a name waiting or a cast-in-stone set of traits the doll must 'wear'. Personality usually emerges as I hang with the doll, pose it, look at it in different settings, try different eyes and wigs and clothes, and photograph it under various lighting conditions. Gradually, possibilities present themselves and connections start sparking off each other.

As I don't usually have preconceived ideas about who a doll is before it arrives, this tends not to happen. If I do have an expectation and the doll doesn't match it, then I back up to the previous step and let things unfold more organically. The greater problem, really, is when I don't respond as I thought I would to the appearance of the doll ... that's serious eek!

12. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      I do give all my dolls personalities, or more.. my dolls give my characters with their personalities bodies. I usually know what characters I want as dolls before I know what dolls I want for them.

Well, sometimes it starts as a type of personality, an occupation, a name, or even a hair or eye colour. There's no real science to it. Sometimes I make characters just to foil other characters. Over time some characters grow on me and others seem to fade into the background. I usually choose the moderately prominent ones to be used as dolls. I want them to be able to grow as dolls, but still to have a very strong foundation.

This hasn't happened to me. I don't think it could. My dolls only have the personalities I give them. I don't sell dolls. I buy them so I make myself like them. I won't let myself think that they don't fit because if I want them to, they will. That's just how it is for me.

13. I purchased my first BJD recently. It was love at first sight, even though she is not "my type". It was surprising to me, who loves dark and mysterious dolls generally to have fallen for a fair angel the way that I have. She came with personality intact as far as I'm concerned, since she came to me with face-up and had been loved in her previous family. She is teaching me to love the sunlight.

14. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?

Yes, all my dolls have personalities. Each resin doll has his own unique personality and at least 1 cosplay character which may be similar to their own personality.

I look at the photos and ask the doll to tell me their names and personalities. They each have to tell me how and when they want me to find them new homes. A doll coming into the family must have an "exit strategy" should I die or become unable to care for them.

Happens all the time. I form personalities for my first 2 dolls but when they turned out very different on arrival, I learn not to form characters for them. They have their own personalities. I love them the way they are. Even their cosplay character is determined after they arrive and after I get to know each personality better. For example, based on promo photos, Soom Sphaler looked like a perfect Keiki from the anime series Twelve Kingdoms but after he arrived, he's personality makes him a perfect Saito Hajime of the anime series Rurouni Kenshin. His personality is not Keiki.

Zodiac: Dollzone Mo seems to be an interesting character. He will reveal to you his personality in his time and in his own way. You will know how he's like. :)

15. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      Yes

I usually have a personality in mind when I look for the doll I want to buy. Though Quinlan was an unexpected acquisition and I'm still trying to figure out what clicks while I make him more clothes. and wigs.

Roll with it. Muniya ended up a lot more tomboyish than I intended (I wanted her girly to have someone to put in dresses). So now she keeps taking Saif's clothes

16. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      I do. One of the two of mine are actually based on a pre-existing character.

With Riley, he's not based on any particular characters so I just sort of waited for him to get home and just sort of went with it. He looks very sweet and innocent, and so he became sweet and innocent (although sometimes pouty from some angles). As for Min, he IS based on a pre-existing character, so I already had a personality planned out for him before he got here.

Just go with it. Yup, that's pretty much it. Ri ended up being slightly pouty at times which I didn't expect at first, but overall he's still pretty sweet (How he looks from different angles of course).

17. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      yes
      I formed their initial personalities by looking at their pictures and just deciding what i wanted
      neither of my tinies has turned out exactly like i imagined. Yuzuki is a lot more passive-agressive than i thought she would be; she took her entire foot off because i left her in the sewing kit for a week. And my newest, Takeshi, has been a lot more assertive than i expected; he stands the way HE wants. And they're both a lot more affectionate with each other (they're bother and sister) than i thought. But i think changes should just be rolled with, you'll have a lot more fun finding out who the doll wants to be than forcing it to be what you wanted.

18. Yeah, you know, it just doesn't always go the way you expect it to. A couple years ago when I got a Volks Yugiri to be Rosemary, she was supposed to be sassy and annoyed with men. She ended up being very sweet and disconnected, and then later turned into a very cute little boy. ;) The same happened with Ozzy actually, he was supposed to be a mean girl who liked to beat people up, instead he just became a mean boy who likes to beat people up. Unfortunately for us, his rude personality stuck even though his gender didn't. XD

19. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      I try to!

I think they form it themselves, which may take a little time. Their appearance plays a big part of who they are, in my opinion. How they wear their hair, how they dress...it all helps!

I just try to go with it!

20. My basil has a cute shy, uke personality. but onlt his close friends have seen his party side! its all bold and sassy