1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Forming a doll's personality...

Mar 17, 2011

?
  1. Yes, of course! They all do!

2. No! That's crazy!

3. Only some of them do.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      Yes, absolutely yes. If the doll doesn't have a character I have an extremely hard time bonding with them.

How do you go about forming your doll's personality?

Depends on the doll. C was fully-fleshed before he came home, roleplaying and writing about his character made sure of this. Damian on the other hand has existed as a character with no doll form for over a year until the other day, while I was listening to a song, I had an epiphany about his character and knew who he was, what he did and how he should look like (the later part came after sitting down to attempt to sketch him). Others form their personalities better only after I've had them here.

What do you do when your doll has a totally different personality than you expected they would?

I just change their characters slightly to go along with it. Happened once and only once to me with my Crobidoll T-line Wooyu, Finnick. I was expecting he'd be a timid little boy who barely spoke at all and turns out he's anything but. He's a little man that likes denim jackets and skateboarding, hangs out with (other tiny) "bad boys" and sneaks out from home whenever he can... Go figure....

2. All my dolls have personalities! I think it makes them more alive, and they must have one to have their own character. I also have background stories to explain why they have this kind of personality (like causes etc.)

3. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      yes

I just think about what I want her/him to be like.

What do you do when your doll has a totally different personality than you expected they would?

this hasn't happened to me (yet, it might someday) so I don't know what I would do.

4. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      I try to, but it usually happens quite organically even if I don't.

I usually just let it evolve over time, and see if the doll "tells" me

It's a pleasant surprise when they don't turn out how I thought they would when I first planned them. I suppose that's always the risk when you let see what suits the doll, rather than trying to suit the doll to your plans.

5. I think in order to bond with a doll you need to give it a character, a personality, something that defines the doll. It's doesn't always turn out how you always though but the personality should still be there!
      None of my dolls are originally how I planned them to be, they seem to shape themselves over time and how I dress them and what I've done to mod them an such. Also personality changes over time and maybe your dolls won't be the same as they were when you first got them!

6. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      Yep!

I usually just buy dolls I like, and their personality follows. But I just found a doll that perfectly fits my one and only OC, and I am so excited to bring him to life.

That has never happened so far, since I usually just "discover" their personality by having them around. If I bought a doll only to shell an OC and it ended up not being what I expected I would probably sell it and buy a doll that fit better.

7. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character? Yes! It makes it so much easier for me to select their wigs, clothes and accessories. I suppose you could say it's my blueprint.

How do you go about forming your doll's personality? I buy the dolls I'm drawn to and I work from their mold, size, features in addition to my own inclinations toward their potential character until I find a combination that I'm happy with.

What do you do when your doll has a totally different personality than you expected they would? This has never happened to me personally, but if it did I'd definitely try to alter my approach to that doll as opposed to sort of forcing a character onto them with the risk of totally disconnecting from the doll entirely.

8. Well, when I bought my first BJD she was supposed to be a real-life representation of a character in the story I was writing. When she got here, I realized that while she did fit certain characteristics of the character, mostly she was her own new, special character.

Every doll that I own does/will have a personality, simply because I think it's easier to take pictures of them when they do. A shy doll would be posed differently than a confident/outgoing type.
      When I create characters, I tend to use little things (quirks and traits) from people I know in real life. For example, Fable has a lot of the same characteristics as my 5-year-old cousin. I also find it easier to give a doll a personality once they've arrived and they are sitting right in front of you. When Fable got here, her character turned into a childhood cancer victim simply because I like her best without a wig. I've done a lot of research on childhood cancers and decided what exactly she's dealing with. This lead to deciding that she is very upbeat, bright, and bubbly because you can't possibly put up a good fight with a negative attitude. One thing lead to another and suddenly she is a fully developed character.
      I never expected Fable to become the way she is, but I love what she has developed into. I don't think there is a single person on this board who creates a personality for a doll and then over time changes the character. In much the same way that people change over time, I think doll characters have to change because it would be kind of boring if you didn't have anything left to discover about someone.

9. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?

uhm yeah :3

well she was inspired by a comic but shes not like anyone from the story. really she just sort of came to me. blogging about ur ideas for your doll really helps as well as having an idea of their faces, drawing helps a lot too.
      but for me personally having an idea of their hair and clothing is what really makes a character for me. i think a lot of people might feel that way

well i havent had that problem yet >3<
      but if i do well just go with it and see what works even though i think i shelled my first char perfectly my second one might be a bit harder. Its between 2 sculpts. I like one more than the other but i dont think I could go terribly wrong either way

10. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      -nod nod- Most of them are characters from my writing. Leah surprised me, so I didn't have a character for her sculpts; she made one quickly enough. Of course, she's changed a bit from her original character ideas, but she is definitely who she's supposed to be.

The same way I build characters for my writing. A few times, I've come up with characters to fit dolls I want instead of the other way around (eg Mads, my future MNF Shiwoo). Having Leah as a doll definitely helps me write her, too. I can have her next to me and "ask" her how something went--and I have her personality right there.

It depends on where their story is... For example, when I get Michael, if he isn't Michael, I'd either have to rewrite his novella or make him into a different character. Which would kind of suck a lot. But I'm fairly certain I'll get him and he'll be very much perfect for me. :)

11. As I dont own a bjd yet, I kinda fantasize over what I want them to be. I get inspiration from looking at pics on the net, mixed in with what I like and what I wish I could be like or have.
      I want a realpuki soso. She would be mischivous and full of lust for adventures. Magical stuff, wizardry etc.
      Next I am dreaming about Pukifee Ante. She would be all about cute, pink and fluffy stuff. :)

Skickat från min GT-S5660 via Tapatalk 2

12. i only have one doll, and only one experience, but she has a very obvious personality. originally, i had plans of a very specific character idea. i have half a dozen pending, but i picked one in particular to be embodied by a doll first, and i very carefully chose a doll and some clothes and a wig. once i put everything together, i realized that my doll was NOT the person i made at first, and was someone else. I had to experiment with wigs and she had her own clothing choices. now, i know who she is and was surprised when she finally showed me. it took weeks to figure out her name, but now i know. next time, i hope to have the right doll for the right personality to begin with, because i really have my heart set one a few particular characters to come to life. im so glad i have my doll, though, and and wouldnt trade her for anything.

some characters come from my own existing stories. i write, and i fall in love with some of the characters once they become fleshed out and real. one character in particular is a character i RPed in D&D. she is the only character i played in this way and became someone special and real, and grew into her own person by the end of the campaign. it has never happened to be before or since.

13. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?
      Yes. Usually I have a character in mind that will fit in with my dolls, and then I match it with a doll from my wishlist. That not only keeps my spending in check (need to have a character in mind before I buy = no impulse purchases) but it helps me to really think about who the character is.

I think about what characters will fit in with my current crew mainly. I have a whole story laid out that involves brothers and sisters and husbands and mistresses and all kinds of things. Everyone is very interconnected. I also think about people that I know and characters that I have read about, taking little bits and pieces from everyone. I was a psychology major so personality and temperament has always really interested me. Generally I start out with a basic concept (like 13 year old sickly younger sister to another character, for instance) and start to slowly flesh out her personality by thinking about her likes and dislikes. Then I start working on a backstory (what is her motivation? What has happened to her in the past?) and relationships with other characters. In the end I have a pretty fleshed out character and I can't WAIT to find a doll form for her/him.

This hasn't ever happened to me, which I'm kind of glad for. I think I would probably be pretty stumped if I ended up with a doll that doesn't fit the character I had in mind. Chances are I would either sell it or find a new character for it.

14. Do you give each doll in your collection a personality, or character?

When I began bjd I did not want to give to them of personality but little by little their characters built up themselves and their personality with! Now all my bjd have a personnality.

In fact, I created a complete universe for my pullip and every bjd is connected with a group of pullip and in them characteristics (elegant women, gourmands, dreamers etc.) and the bjd takes personality of her group.

For the moment I have no this problem, every personality goes to them perfectly ^^