1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

French Resin or Urethane?

Jan 1, 2010

1. My Dollmore Cherry Dreams Torrie is urethane.

I think Dollmore lists in the description if it is french resin. Narsha came in only french for years, but is now available in regular urethane.

2. I don't really understand why it is so widely declaimed that yellow undertones or even coloration in skintone = ugly. Actually I don't understand it at all. I would never buy urethane if FR is offered, there is just no comparison in the depth of the skin. It's like plastic versus marble. I'd rather have yellow marble than pink plastic, but I seem to be in the minority.

3. Personally, it's not the fact that it yellows that bothers me, after all, they ALL yellow eventually. I have standard urethane resin dolls who're banana yellow and it doesn't bother me in the slightest because at least it's even all over, it's the fact that french resin yellows hugely unevenly and produces tan lines whilst at the same time looking so oddly WAXY when the light hits it. It's a personal preference thing I guess.

4. Yes I do agree it is totally personal preference. The waxy thing is sometimes just whatever coating it, I find a good scrub sometimes cures that.
      The doll I have that turned lemon yelllow was a Customhouse BW. Regular resin. Bright lemony yellow.
      I also like the "tan line" thing, I think it looks sort of natural. I don't know, I guess eveness is not my thing, just like I hate perfect symmetry in features. To me it makes the doll so much less doll-like.

5. The only french resin doll I have is an Angell Studio msd, and even then I'm suspecting she's...half french xD;

She was bought with the request to be cast in 'urethane' because while they do cast their SD in urethane, they somehow cast their msd in french resin only. My girl ended up coming to me as a frankendoll, having an urethane body and a french resin head ._.

She's 3 years old now, and her head is several shades yellower than her body xD; there's also that translucence effect to her face that isn't apparent on her body xD; When I compare her head to all my other urethane dolls, I decide that it's really what i will never want on any of my dolls anymore, so no. I'll always advise people against french resin if I'm asked for opinion on the matter xD

6. French resin all the way. It's beautiful... it just looks amazing. Like there is really life inside my doll! And it photographs just wonderfully... the light reflects off of it beautifully. And, to me, it just FEELS better. She feels nice, not like a plastic play toy.

I know this is out of the norm, but my FR girl has actually been better. I keep her out sometimes; I like having her around me and she'll lie around half naked when I'm sewing for her (which can take days), so I don't try and cover her up much or anything, I just don't have her sitting near windows or for long periods of time (like months). My regular urethane girl is not the same type of doll, but she has yellowed and she's been in a box for a year! It could have something to do with resin color though... my FR Narae is the "tanning" color, so I think if she has yellowed a bit then it fits perfectly with the natural resin undertones. My other girl was/is normal skin, so she used to be quite pale, but now you can tell she's a little yellower.

7. All but one of my dolls are urethane, but the one that is French resin -- Angus, my Unidoll UH-08 -- is so beautiful that it's hard for me to imagine him in urethane (although I know they're out there!). I wouldn"t necessarily call him yellow so much as ... mellowed. He's actually almost the same shade as my two homme skin Elfdoll boys, who are 4 and 3 years old respectively. Just a wonderful shade of "normal skin."

All my other dolls are urethane because that's what they came in. And some of them -- particularly my beloved Domuya mini -- are really YELLOW, as in lemony goodness. Eww. I still love the doll but I'd take the yellow of aging French resin over that any day.

Like many other things, it's just what feels right to you.

8. Like many others, I bought my first doll before knowing the different types of resin. I learned, like a couple days later ironically though. ":sweat

And I'm glad that I didn't know to be honest. I really wanted a doll that looked like porcelain, but I'd be scared to see how the resin looked yellowed.

You know, I've never seen yellowed french. And I've never seen it compared to urethane.
      Are there any photos here? There has to be right?

9. I've seen a couple really yellow BW or PW french resin around here... but only a couple, and I think they were left standing right in front of a window.