1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

French Versus Urethane Resins

Jun 1, 2010

1. Okay, I have no clue if this is in the right forum but just move it if ya wish
      ANYWAY
      I'm thinking about getting another bjd (Limho Mono) and they have him in french or urethane resin (as well as tanned but im not interested in that)
      Their's a difference right?
      I'm not sure what exactly but is it the skin tone or something? or just different KIND of resin not different LOOKING? Lol I have no clue so if anyone who is knowlegdable of the differences or even has a limho mono themselves (urethane or french resin) could tell me then that would be much appreciated :3

2. Urethane resin is more opaque, French has a more translucent look to it. French resin also yellows/discolors much faster than Urethane.

3. ah, so it's BOTH
      Different look and slightly different kind > >
      Would having the french resin make it seem a little more realistic than the urethane type in a sense? Y'know, because of the opaque/translucent difference?

4. Yes, French resin looks much more realistic that urethane, in my opinion. However, even slight sunlight exposure can yellow the color of the resin.

5. yeah thats the thing I'm kind of worried about > >
      the whole yellowing part.
      is it horribly noticeable??

6. Wow, thanks for the thread. I was really wondering about this myself! (The just how bad the yellowing is, I mean.)

7. QUESTION! If French resin isn't urethane, what IS it made of?

8. I would very much enjoy knowing this too > >

9. It's all resin, a type of plastic. French, urethane, and also environmental (also called Canadian or tree sap) are all just different formulas for resin.

French resin in particular is a little tougher and more resistant to breaking and scratching, but it's translucent quality causes it to yellow MUCH faster, and more boldly, than others. As for noticing it, your mileage may vary. I know some actually turn yellow, but certain ones look more like they've tanned. :sweat

The trick is to make sure the doll colors evenly.

My personal opinion is I'm all for urethane, with a few environmental resin dolls in between, but I also happen to live in an environment that encourages yellowing. (Very hot in the summer, sunny open house all year, and we heat the house with a wood burning stove in winter. All the things that make a doll turn more quickly!).

By the way, when they mention "tanned" resin, its actually been dyed to have a deeper or bolder color. Most tan skin toned dolls or dolls that have special resin colors like blue or gray, are generally more expensive since handling all that dye and getting it to set more evenly is a good bit more difficult. It's not it's own type of resin.

10. Hi could someone please tell me what is differnent about French resin.

Is it not as good? or as hardy.

Any points would be apreciated.

Thanks

11. French resin is very beautiful and translucent, almost has a waxy appearance, but also has an unfortunate tendency to turn yellow in a short time. My first doll was French resin and turned greenish-yellow within about two years in spite of being kept out of the sun and mostly stored in her box. I honestly would not buy another French resin doll. Regular urethane resin can yellow too, but not nearly as much or as quickly.

12. Thank you that is a very useful thing to know.

13. I know this isn't in picture requests, but could anyone who has a french resin doll post some comparisons?

14. I'm also wondering too if anyone knows the difference by simply 'looking' at the doll.
      I realized that indeed AS dolls looks like and are French resin, though I thought SoulDoll was
      french resin, but it's actually urethane! @@

How do you know when the companies don't tell you?
      Has anyone made a list?

15. check this thread.

16. It depends. I don't know about Limho/Limwa, but a lot of Tanned dolls these days are tanned because the resin is actually tan colored, not because it's been dyed. It's important to check which type of Tan doll the company makes, true tanned or dyed tan.

A little more on topic to the thread, I've heard companies like Supia have a Urethane Resin that's also very good and can look very close to French Resin, so if you worried about the yellowing... might be a good alternative?

17. You can usually tell a French Resin doll just by seeing pictures in a well-lit setting. They have a translucence that makes them glow in a way urethane does not. I actually prefer urethane for this reason. I think the glowiness of French and Environmental resin makes the doll lose detail in pictures where urethane resin won't.

18. About the yellowing, i think some companies will add something to the resin to slow down the rate of yellowing or something. When I was considering buying my tiny from Angell Studio, I asked them about their resin and here is their response:

19. French resin is a clear urethane resin, with fillers to provide translucency.

There are thousands, no joke, of polyurethane resins, with different precursors and different properties. "French" and "urethane" resins are two of these.

20. Some people prefer French resin, saying it looks more "real". Personally, I think it looks more like the doll is made of wax, and the look doesn't appeal to me.

If you check for older threads for Narae or Narin, they were the first dolls to be made completely of French resin (or "mostly of"? - it seems many companies use formulas of different types of resins for their varying qualities and strengths). Currently, the Iplehouse newer dolls (realskin) have a very high percentage of French resin in the mix. The IP dolls apparently had a mix that included French resin from way back, since the French resin is tougher and added strength, but their realskin formula has a much greater amount throughout.