1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

From MSD to SD.

Jan 12, 2021

1. I own only MSDs as of now and I had the same conflicted thougths for a while. I ultimately ended up buying a 57cm Maskcatdoll because a friend of mine has one and the size difference to my 40-43cm minis isn't as much as to a 70cm doll. Personally I also really like the doll like dolls. I am not such a huge fan of Iplehouse or Raccoon dolls because they are too realistic for me :D But I actually really like both sizes. I think 70cm would be too much for me personally tho. I grew up with Barbie and was even surprised by the size of my MSDs. :D

2. I too started off with MSDs when I first got into the hobby. I'd only handled Pullips up until I saw my first BJD in person (an MSD), and I'd liked the extra presence to them compared to the smaller 1/6 scaled Pullips. I do recall taking an interest in SDs around that same time, but I ended up taking a long hiatus within a couple years of getting that first MSD.

Fast forward to several years later, and my interest in BJDs gets rekindled. I don't recall really thinking twice about jumping up sizes from MSD to SD with my first BJD when I rejoined the hobby. I also wasn't surprised or overwhelmed by the size difference either—and I went from a 45cm girl to a lanky 70cm boy. I have since had SDs take over the majority of my collection (although I do have a couple MSDs still), and the first MSD girl has since been moved on.

When I think about the weight and heft of a SD, I like to compare it to carrying a medium sized cat or small dog around. Are you comfortable hauling a cat or small dog around in your arms for a few minutes? Do you like the weight of them lying in your lap, or on top of you while you're laying down? If you do, then you'll probably be comfortable with SDs. If that feels like too much, though—MSD and smaller might be better suited to you.

Also, for comparative size—A lot of general SD sizes (from the 60-70cm range anyways), are pretty comparable to the length and size of a cat. I'd imagine, if I were to morph my furry feline into a human shaped figure without upping her to human scale, she'd be pretty proportioned to one of my 62-64cm girls. Although I will say a cat's head does tend to dwarf an SD's head generally by comparison (unless you're talking about those bigger, 9/10 scaled SD noggins).

A work around I discovered that allowed me to take many of my SD crew to meets was a large, hard-shelled rolling suitcase. Wrap them in foam and bubble wrap and stack them inside carefully, and they're good to go. Plus, it's nice not having to carry the bag on my shoulder and just roll it behind/next to me instead (that's what those wheels are there for, make use of them!).

I've admittedly been the opposite of some posters here. I acclimated pretty well to SD scale, and find them much easier to work with. Whereas, by comparison—it's been the opposite for MSDs and smaller. The smaller ones feel so fragile and light, and you'd think because they're smaller they'd be easier to restring—right? Wrong. Feeding strings through narrow channels often makes it take longer and be more grueling than restringing an SD, and I always worry I'll break them while trying to stabilize the parts as I secure each string in place. With SDs, I have a better grip on them, and running the strings through the channels is a breeze by comparison (it probably helps that I have good arm strength, so the extra tension isn't an issue for me).

All sizes have their pros and cons, and it'll differ from person to person. I honestly haven't had too many difficulties finding SD props (although I'm not uber picky about exact scales, so that might help), whereas I've found props for smaller ones to either be a bit harder to find, or they tend to look faker and cheap. It's really going to depend on taste and circumstances; I've been lucky to find some good SD scale furniture hauls in my area, but it could be very different in other places.

In the end, it's really dependent on preferences and comfort. Some will find MSDs too fragile for their liking, while others will find the heft of SDs too intimidating:kitty2.

(funny additional note in my case: my choices are partially influenced by my cat.:kitty1 Smaller dolls, MSDs? "OOh, lookie! Things I can be naughty with and yank off the shelf!" SDs, on the other hand? "Cool, I've got these human looking companions I can lie next to and who'll give me a neck rub!" (with their hands, feet, shoes...:XD:). In general, she leaves the bigguns alone. Smaller ones? They're obstacles needing to be conquered!)

3. Thank you all for your opinions! It’s super helpful and interesting too to read others’ insights. I’ve decided to try my luck and definitely go for SDs.

@jade-eyed-cat That’s really interesting with the cat! Hope your MSDs are okay tho. :lol:Fortunately dogs can’t (in majority of cases) climb the shelves. I’ve discovered that 73 cm is basically the height of 6 months old child. And I carry baby a lot, so carrying a doll shouldn’t be such a problem. :)

4. .

#24 Gintsumi, Jan 13, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    5. My first bjd was a yosd, and then I got into msd’s. I did try one resin SD guy and found he was too big and hard to do anything with. I couldn’t even take off the head without help, and I became afraid of getting hurt, so I decided no matter how beautiful SDs are, they are not for me. My preferred size is yosd and smaller. I find they are easy to work on, and take up less space. I still have a SD and she is vinyl, and I love how light and easy to pose she is.

In this hobby it is hard to try different bjd sizes unless you have friends in the hobby, or can attend meet ups, or conventions because it’s all buying online and using a measuring tape just doesn’t cut it. It only shows the height, not how much presence the doll has. Sometimes you just have to try another size to see if it is right for you, and if so, great! If not, then at least you know.

6. No worries. My MSDs are doing alright. I tend to keep them more out of reach of my cat than the SDs, and it's like the old saying goes: out of sight, out of mind.:kitty2 She's also not super destructive with them, but if given the opportunity (or if she's in the mind to), she might pull them off a shelf. I can only recall it happening maybe twice, and no damage happened either time.

7. I only have a Raccoon doll for now but was considering an SD as I may have ordered a bunch of clothes in the wrong size. The weight and bulk of a 65-70cm doll is a concern. I'd actively have to determine a place I could put said dolls.

Totes agree that it is definitely helpful to read up on other people's collecting experience though!

8. All mine are MSD but I really would love an SD doll. Iv came so close of buying an SD but then a MSD caught my eye and I didn't hit the buy now for the SD but it will happen

9. I am grateful you made this thread since I am also thinking of my next doll being an SD. :) It was a lot of help reading through this thread, so I also wanted to thank everyone that contributed.

I have decided when I have the funds I will order the Impldoll Glenn I want. :love

10. I'm curious if the only thing drawing you to SD is the sculpts? There are some companies that make mature looking MSDs and smaller if it's just that!

11. My first doll was MSD. I found it less overwhelming. But as I began to like dolls that looked older, it was easier to find what I wanted with 60cm and 70cm. Now 90% of my crew is big dolls. I really enjoy the size and I love to sew and craft for this size.

60cm and 70cm aren't as easy to carry around all day at conventions and such, but they aren't so heavy they are unwieldy to play and pose.

My Dollmore Dell who is 80cm is the one who is too heavy to do anything much with.

12. I have both and I prefer medium size. I love my 60cm girl and will never part with her. But she’s so big to me and I don’t fiddle with her or pose her as much as my 45cm dolls. But if you like a doll you can just sit next to while you work, I think she works. Having one big doll is nice. There aren’t going to be more.

As for looking proportional together, it probably depends on whether the smaller one looks like a child or if your dolls live in a world with giants. My dolls together look like characters from the Never Ending Story and I love it.

13. I just got my first SD (65cm) in on Thursday and he is BIG. The rest of my crew are either MSD or YoSD/tinies. I love him but I don't think I'd want an army of SDs.

I'm enjoying the contrast between him and the smaller ones, especially in photos. And sewing for him might as well be sewing for a full-size human.

14. I’ve enjoyed reading other’s responses here! I started off with two MSD dolls thinking I would be intimidated by larger SD dolls. But then when I got an SD doll I thought she was incredible and from that point on was drawn to SD dolls. I even ended up selling both my original MSDs. Granted, the doll I got wasn’t an especially large SD, only about 55 cm. But because she was larger, I found her face much more expressive and had an easier time photographing her. MSDs were more convenient to carry, but still big enough they aren’t super easy to carry. YoSDs are perfect if you really want something convenient and portable. Though as some people have mentioned, with increasing size comes the increasing size of doll stuff too. SD outfits and accessories take up much more room than those of smaller dolls.

15. Before jumping into BJDs, I almost solely collected 1/6 dolls. Then I jumped straight to 1/3 (~62 cm) BJD boy as my first one. It was a little bit of an adjustment and I remember being shocked by the shipping box size. I’m kind of liking this size, makes taking pictures a little bit easier because I don’t have to be as low on the ground lol The clothes are also adorable! I also have one YoSD now and she feel so small. But either size is fun to work with!

But like some folks said above, it really depends on the person. You might get yours and feel like it’s too much, that’s totally ok! Or you might love this size. It will probably be an adjustment regardless and I’m hoping you’ll enjoy the journey!

16. I only do SD’s but recently recieved an MSD vinyl body, and have played with friends’ msds. They definitely feel “doll-like” when I handle them, as opposed to my occasionally heavy Large Dolls. That said, my SDs range from 54 cm to 79cm, and I do feel that taking the 79cm out is more of a Decision, both cause she’s heavy, and cause she’s irreplaceable if anything happened (long discontinued). My SD vinyl hybrids (I have resin heads on Dd and smartdoll bodies) are so light, on the other hand, that they feel like “secret bonus dolls” because I can forget I’m carrying them.

while I started in the hobby with a 72cm doll, there are tons of small SD’s like Feeple60, Zaoll, DFH 56cm boys, and such that are barely larger than MSDs, to try big dolls out more gradually. When I first got my feeple I can remember being shocked by how tiny she felt. Angel Philia/obitsu 48 and 50 is also a good sort of in-between size, as they can take smaller SD heads, and MSD heads, and are sort of between heights.

[​IMG]Aveden and Illyra by Indifferent Red, on Flickr

Left: a 48ish cm Angel Philia/zaoll hybrid, beside a 54cm Feeple60