1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

From your point of view, is any BJD worth thousands of dollars?

Jul 5, 2009

1. Well, the answer to this question is very subjective thus I do not really see the "debatable" value.

The perceived value of anything depends on the person who is willing to spend on it.

Some art pieces sell for high value and I hardly think those people who display those art pieces on their living or study room are mainly concern about the "resale" value of the art piece.

Some one bought a painting of mine when I was in high school for $200 (back in 1987) which when I heard of the value I was in shock for two reasons :

1. I painted that still-life as an assignment for my art class so I did not do it for resale

2. I was and still am a complete amateur whose name is completely unknown in this world. Thus I am 1000% sure that painting has absolutely no re-sale value.

BUT it was worth that money to the person. So my point is, value is completely subjective and it will never make sense to other people besides ourselves.

Just another example. I was watching "Whose Wedding it is anyway" - and one wedding cake which was about 6 layers cost $6000.00 USD. And now that cake would be gone with hours to either stomach or the trash can. So was that cake worth $6000.00?!!! To the bride, it was. So that is all that mattered. Because that cake has no resale value once the order was placed and the check was signed for.

Lastly, there are many hobbies of which the items we buy have ABSOLUTELY no resale value. Video Games, manga, anime for example. All the money spent are pretty much gone once the cashier rings you up. Even if the unit price is cheap, since you buy many at each time and once or twice a month, one would spent a lot of money in an year too on those hobbies.

Back to the questions asked by the OP

-Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

My answer is more like "To me all of my dolls who I kept are worth the money I spent on them."

-If you have ever bought a limited doll from a second hand market for a minimum of a few thousand dollars, what are the pros and cons of this? And do you worry that it may lose value due to popularity (or lack of) or from typical wear over time? What makes that doll worth it to you?

I have bought dolls from second market for very high value. I do not buy dolls for the reason to sell them. Thus I am not worry about their resale value.

Pros: I WANT THEM!!!

BTW, a modded old F28 head went for $10K earlier this year. It was only a head ;) So anything is possible in this world.

2. Yes, but you have to expect people to comment on your opinions ;) Besides, I did want to hear what you had to say about it.

Gaps in all different kinds of companies exist--from clothing companies, to car companies, different artists command different prices. Quality can be hard to compare (unless there are serious ongoing issues), because what is an issue to one person, isn't so much to another. Also company B may not do X as well, but when it comes to Y they're really on top of things. There's a lot of things that aren't very clear cut.

Whoa there, there's no reason to get defensive. Nobody's picking on you, but if you don't want folks to disagree, then why post in a debate topic? I never specifically said you didn't have the money, BTW, but it was a valid question to ask considering the sorts of things that come up around here. I was really just wondering what the specific factors were that led you to that conclusion which does sound odd coming from someone within the hobby, though you've not been the only one to ever say it. Sometimes it seems to be caused by money issues, sometimes comparing bjd prices to other dolls, etc *shrug* I've heard a number of different reasons why certain individuals felt bjds were over priced. Honestly, that attitude never made much sense to me BECAUSE...

Bjds are luxury items, and there isn't really specific way to correctly price luxury items. However looking at the factors that go into producing bjds and running some of these companies, then I think they can make a genuine case for a lot of their pricing. I also think it's unrealistic to expect that all companies will charge very close to the same price in all instances--they are different organizations, with different costs (some may have more staff, some may have physical stores, some have been around longer and have carefully built up the reputation that allows them to ask a bit more). If a company is really pricing above what the market will bear, then eventually they will have to either change what they're offering or drop their prices.

There are dolls that I won't buy because they aren't worth it to me, but objectively speaking, just because I don't want to spend the money doesn't mean that the company overcharged.

3. Aryline: I think that's natural, though. Even though your first response was 'hells, yes!', logic and common sense always dictates that there is only so much we can budget for. Though in theory, it sure would be nice to have the kind of money to say 'hells, yes!' to every expensive doll that comes around. XD

edit:
      ^ This. This exactly.

4. I did expect that but it is a debate and I can say what I think. I know that some people get offended when I say that but I can't help what I think :sweat.

Okay, I'll give an example: I went to a dollmeet in my home country. Some of the dolls where limited editions who cost the owner a big chunk of money. But when I see really visible seamlines on a tanned doll + uneven tanning I'm not sure that these dolls are worth that much money. Even if they are limited. That's what I mean with quality differences. Again, thats my opinion on that.
      As I said in my last post, I probably should have formulated that statement differently. I'm not saying 'Oh, these dolls shouldn't cost more than 100$' because they are a lot of work and some owners spend even more time and money on their dolls. I understand that they have a certain worth. It's all relative I guess.

I know that it sounds odd coming from somebody who owns BJDs and I know that the majority would disagree. I agree that they are luxury items (that's not because of the price but because they are items you don't really need ). The main point I tried to make (even in my first post) is that dolls priced a couple of thousands of dollars are not worth the money to me. I agree with you on that ;). Everybody can spend as much money on a doll as they want because they want to spend it. I don't have to understand it because it's non of my business.
      I'm sorry if my last post sounded too defensive and I'm sorry about the bad formulation of that statement... That wasn't really intended.
      Oh, and I know that some companies can't be compared to other regarding prices (and quality). I'm not willing to name companies as an example because it just would not be very nice to do that... I read enough not-so-nice stuff about the company that my dolls are from.

5. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?For a rare, exclusive issue in a collectors' market, that really doesn't seem that extreme to me ::shrugs:: Have you seen what a mint original Blythe goes for? In fact, given the price a new, non-limited Volks doll commands...it seems a bit low!

People get funny ideas about how much dolls should cost because they are 'just dolls'. But a lot more work and complexity goes into making them than say - a soapstone sculpture. The pricing of our dolls makes a lot more sense if you think of them as 'tiny sculptures that move'.

-----The two middle questions, those are 'N/A' for me-----

-To those who would not pay this amount, even if you did have the money: Let's just pretend that your dream dolly is a limited going for a few thousand, why wouldn't you be willing to pay this amount?
      Well...I am really 'yes and no' on this one. No, I would not pay for something already made but I would gladly put in twice that to realize the 'doll of my dreams' - which could only be built (at least partially - I'd be thrilled to leave casting to another artist) by my hands. Every doll I buy is building towards that goal, and when the day comes I really do make that perfect ideal, well...I am betting the 'landed cost' of that cutie would tote up to be...
      er...
      tibbiez dun' count that hi.
      runs outta toesies.
      :kitty1

The extreme high-end of collecting in ABJD is one of the mechanisms that helps to 'drive' the doll hobby as a whole. If there weren't the $thousand exclusives like this case, it is very unlikely the cute little 'cheap' dolls would exist, and I'm grateful for both extremes and the rainbow array that stretches in-between.

6. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

Well, I saw one of Kaye's button nosed elf girls go for over $8000 on ebay a few years back, she was cast in blue resin which made her all the more attractive I think. Personally that's a bit over the top for me. I think up to $2000 is a fair price depending on what doll is being sold. Over $2000 is just plain silly if you ask me for a doll which originally cost $700.

-If you have ever bought a limited doll from a second hand market for a minimum of a few thousand dollars, what are the pros and cons of this? And do you worry that it may lose value due to popularity (or lack of) or from typical wear over time? What makes that doll worth it to you?

I recently took the plunge and forked over $1400 for a Souseiseki here on the Marketplace. :) I never thought I would spend that much on one doll, but she just stole my heart away several years ago and I'd been longing for her since.
      And I must say, what great fun it was trying to make the layaway payments as soon as possible, I turned it into a lil' contest with myself.
      I did loads of commissions just to pay her off, so it got me more face-up experience and opportunity, plus I finally went and did something with the floaters still in my drawer.
      I really can't see any cons. ;)
      I don't worry about resale value because she's staying here with me. ;)
      She was totally worth it because I have been wanting her for years, and I worked very hard to be able to get her.

7. Yep, we have the same definition of luxury item (even if it sometimes feel like I do need them, lol. Still, bills come first).

We probably mostly do agree, it sounds like.

That's ok, and I'm sorry if my first post sounded harsh. Sometimes it's hard to tell tone through the internet.

Yeah, it can be a difficult thing to discuss, and that's fine about not wanting to name names--I don't blame you :sweat

8. This is what I mean, when it's okay to put a plarge price tag on a doll. I did exactly the same thing for my Euclase, and in this kind of case, I think spending 1400.00 is permissable. You worked hard to ear it, you know?

good for you on your Souseiseki, by the way. :)

9. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

I don't know. I have paid high prices for a few of my dolls but perhaps I would have changed my doll plans for a couple of them if they had been selling for more than $2000. It's not easy to say since I own the hard to find Holy Grail type dolls I want and I didn't have to pay that much to bring them home.

Every now and then I joke about going for the next Volks Dream Full Choice. I think they charge $5,000 for it on top of the cost of going to the event in Japan where it's offered. I know I didn't go for it the last time even though I love the idea of a tan SD16 Tony. No, I wouldn't spend that much on a doll.

On the other hand when I look at my total doll collection with all of their sundries there is a lot of money invested there. What's a few hundred more dollars for a doll I really want when I can see just how much I've spent on doll shoes? *_*

-If you have ever bought a limited doll from a second hand market for a minimum of a few thousand dollars, what are the pros and cons of this? And do you worry that it may lose value due to popularity (or lack of) or from typical wear over time?

I have bought a few pricey dolls second hand but I have never paid "a few thousand" any one doll. Looking at my collection, only my SD16 Tony really cost me more than two thousand as I bought a Full Set SD13 Tony and a Full Set SD16 Yukinojo so I could hybrid them together and I kept all of the extra parts.

Back in 2006 when I bought my Bermann it was the most anyone had ever paid for one but that number was completely blown away once true Bermann fever hit. Actually, by the time the last few Tensiya Bermanns were released the retails had gone up higher than what I paid for my guy second hand. I'm glad I got him when I did and was not scared away from paying so much! It could have been a lot worse!

I think the only "con" in buying pricey second hand dolls: If they get damaged, you'll have to pay just as much if not more to replace them. :(

What makes that doll worth it to you?

My Bermann was my first doll and I wouldn't have even gotten into this hobby if I hadn't bought him first. Without him, I wouldn't be here. ;)

10. Hey, idrysfinn, what's an 'FCS Dream Full Choice'? Why does it cost 5000.00 dollars? @_@

Pardon my asking, but I've never heard of that before!

11. Ok someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is when Volks will do a FCS system of ANY of their molds they have ever had for you. It has been available at a couple of events and very very limited to who gets to do it. Hmm...I know the thread is around here somewhere....I will try and find it for you..

EDIT: here it is for you! ^_^ http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3849559&postcount=173

What does it mean? You can have any Volks limited (not sure if this extends to the anime dolls, guessing it does) ever made the way you want it...skin color. make up color, eye color...*Drool*

Sorry if this is off topic, but it does seem a bit relevant to the discussion, doesn't it?

12. It is a special event that Volks did for some special occasion - for very limited spots (like 5 people)

You can choose from any mold Volks every made in any resin skin color on any body type they ever offered.

So my dream is sunlight Williams head a SD17 body with Valico Face up :aheartbea

13. Thanks so much, guys! Now I can be a little more clued in with the discussion.

That's quite alot of money to pay, so I definitely think that this would fit in with what we're talking about. :)

14. Yes, it's one of those Volks extra special event offerings. You go to the event and enter a lottery to see of you can win the opportunity to spend $5,000 on a Dream Full Choice. I thought there were fewer than five winners per DFCS but I could be wrong.

That's quite a financial put-up before you even know if you've won! Plane tickets + ground transportation to the event + staying at the Event location + food and any other shopping + Dream Full Choice fee + having the doll shipped to you when it is ready by someone who offers shopping service in Japan! I think that is too much for me to spend on a doll but if I was wealthy, I'd be tempted.

15. No, I agree. for me, that is too much to spend on a doll. Unless I were a filthy rich person, I wouldn't be able to justify that kind of purchase. It just wouldn't be worth it. (Though I don't doubt it would be a memorable experience!)

16. Dolls are a luxury item so there is no reason why they couldn't cost thousands of dollars, just look at how much some ready to wear fashion items cost for humans.

17. So here are some questions:
      -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

If people are willing to pay it, then they are, I guess.

Well, His Majesty is an old Volks F29, and I expect he is worth a bit now (he was quite expensive when he came to live with me and that was just a few months under 4 years ago). The pro was that I got a doll I adore. The con was...there was no con, I got a doll I adore. :) I have no fear of His Majesty losing 'value' (nor any of my boys, in fact), because he is priceless and I would never consider selling him in a million years. :) What makes him worth it is that I am just in love with him, even more now than then.

-To those who would pay this amount but haven't/can't: What makes a doll worth this amount to you?

Personally, I think the thing that justifies the price in the end is love. If you're in love and you easily have the money, without indebting or troubling yourself, you should go for it. :)

-To those who would not pay this amount, even if you did have the money: Let's just pretend that your dream dolly is a limited going for a few thousand, why wouldn't you be willing to pay this amount?

If I had the money, I would be willing to pay it for a doll I really loved.

18. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

Thinking technical. A doll that was sold 700$ and later on to the thousands. It's not REALLY worth the price, (unless it contained gold and gold went up in price over the years :lol: ) technically.. The price of the resin used, outfit, face up will always be 700$. I never really understood how things shoot up in price. Is it one second hand seller who determines what the product is really worth to them? :? I don't know. But who ever sells it has a choice to pricing it. I guess that how it all starts. It's up to the person who's buying it if its worth it or not.

Never ever. I like buying things that are worth their price, And that to me is the basic pricing of a BJD. Not a price depending on how many dolls there is of it.

19. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

Well, it honestly depend on the doll and company. It it really was a limited mold, that you just had to have, and there was no other hope of getting it, or no other way, then yeah, it could end up being worth thousands to me. But before I'd go and hand over that much money for a limited doll, the first thing I'd do, if it wasn't already done, is look up problems other people have had with that mold. Honestly, when I fall in love with a doll, and it happens to be that expensive, the first thing I do is try to talk myself out of it. If after a few days, that didn't work, then I reconsider. I really tried to talk myself out of getting Soom's Chrom, but it didn't work and I ended up ordering him. The second thing I'd do is shop around. If I had the time to mind you. You don't have much time to think about it or shop around if it's an auction that is about to end! Nothing beats getting your dream doll for a good price. But I also wouldn't settle for a cheaper doll if I didn't like the face up, or if it was damaged. It would really need to be in mint condition. If that was honestly my only chance to get that doll, and it's been a mold I've been after for quite some time, then it would be hard to resist.

-To those who would pay this amount but haven't/can't: What makes a doll worth this amount to you?

Personally, I haven't bought a limited doll second hand. I have bought them new, however. There are a few I really am taking a liking too though. And their price tag second hand is high. And as tempted as I am to get them, I have been resisting. I have really been liking Soom's Amber, and Beryl lately. I've been wanting them even more so since ordering Chrom, but now they are selling for around $2000, second hand. I don't think it's over charging for those molds, as they are limited, rare, and come with special parts, but it is more than I want to spend on a doll. I had a hard enough time talking myself into Chrom. So for now, I have managed to refrain from such a high price tag. To me they are worth it,... I just don't have the funds!
      I guess what would make them worth it is just how much you love the doll, and how rare it is.

I would be willing to pay that much if the situation allowed it.Dolls aren't the most expensive hobby out there. Some people are willing to pay thousands for a Rolex, watch, and it probably isn't as much fun as a doll. An even more expensive hobby is automobiles! People collect those, and they are worth thousands, or more! Sure, a car can do alot more than a doll, but it's still another hobby. And yes, collecters will pay that much! Someone paied $5 million for a Shelby Cobra Super Snake at an auction. It's just one car, and it costed more than most mansions! And to top it off, the poor car probably never leaves the garage!

20. I don't think this is a debate so much as a general poll of opinions, but it's a good topic regardless. My answers:

Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

No. Look, I know there are lunch boxes and sock puppets and rolls of lint gathered from the pockets of dead celebrities that manage to accrue value wildly beyond their material worth. But... I'm never going to be the type of person who can wrap my mind around that. I could understand if it were a masterful work of art, or an artifact of historical significance (I don't count sports or movie memorabilia... or for that matter the vast majority of modern art). But bjds, while I obviously do love them and appreciate the craftsmanship and artistry that goes into them, will just never enter that league of... well, reverence.

Nor is a bjd worth that much from the investment point of view. If you asked me whether I wanted a $4000 bjd or a $4000 collectable coin, I would choose the coin without hesitation even though I have no interest in coins. The coin hobby has been around for far, far longer and I have more trust in that coin's continued rise in value, whereas bjds are such a recent hobby that I can't predict whether the market value is going to skyrocket or plummet.

To those who would not pay this amount, even if you did have the money: Let's just pretend that your dream dolly is a limited going for a few thousand, why wouldn't you be willing to pay this amount?

Well, the whole thing would turn sour for me if in a few years time the bjd hobby took a nosedive and my $4000 bjd became worth $400. Even if the money was a trifle to me, I'd probably be dogged by regret every time I looked at the thing. Also, I would be too paranoid about handling/maintaining a $4000 bjd to really enjoy having it (and I say this as someone who views bjds primarily as display items).