1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

From your point of view, is any BJD worth thousands of dollars?

Jul 5, 2009

1. So here are some questions:
      -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

Not to me personally. I've been a collector of dolls for decades, and have owned some pretty pricey antique ones (Bru, Jumeau, 18th Century English Wood), but over the years I began to feel burdened by 'precious' possessions. I want to own as little as possible these days.

If you have ever bought a limited doll from a second hand market for a minimum of a few thousand dollars, what are the pros and cons of this? And do you worry that it may lose value due to popularity (or lack of) or from typical wear over time? What makes that doll worth it to you? The most I ever spent on a bjd was $1800; an Araki-painted Unoa. She was gorgeous but I felt intimidated by the fact that most of her value was in her paint. I decided I'd be satisfied owning a Unoa painted by myself or something, I just don't require big-name stuff, I guess. I'd rather play, I'm happy with lesser things, so I sold her on to someone more deserving, haha. My general rule of thumb is to not acquire something unless I can do so at an absolute minimum expenditure for its type. Sometimes this means I won't be able to own it at all. Oh well!

To those who would pay this amount but haven't/can't: What makes a doll worth this amount to you? N/A to me.

To those who would not pay this amount, even if you did have the money: Let's just pretend that your dream dolly is a limited going for a few thousand, why wouldn't you be willing to pay this amount? One of my dream dollies is up for sale right now (Anais 1) at the most reasonable amount ever (less than 1K); the lowest price I have ever seen this doll at... and yet I can't do it right now. I *could* move heaven and earth to acquire her, but... I have a lot on my plate right now anyway (home remodeling, new computer, need a new camera). I'm just going to hope that I can find another some day at a price I could stomach. I'm a firm believer in Dolly Kismet! If it's meant to happen she'll practically land in my lap, and if not I'll enjoy mooning over her. *sigh*

Raven

2. Short answer: No.
      Longer answer: if I WANT to pay that amount of money then it's worth it too me. And really that's the ONLY person who's opinion on the subject matters. I forked out a grand for my EID, much to my hubby's amusement, and it was worth it to me. May not be worth it to you, but since I'm not supporting you I don't care what you think of it.

Not really a debatable issue, as Anavel said, because it's subjective, what works for one person may not be acceptable to another.

3. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?
      No, not really... not unless I had that much spare money and really, really, REALLY wanted the doll... but I haven't seen anything I would fork over a grand or more for, except maybe a Soom monthly or two...

-To those who would pay this amount but haven't/can't: What makes a doll worth this amount to you?
      If you absolutely truly love it and if the doll is so unbelievably rare that I may never find it again, AND if I have a spare few thousand dollars lying around (YEAH OKAY)... then maybe I would consider it.

-To those who would not pay this amount, even if you did have the money: Let's just pretend that your dream dolly is a limited going for a few thousand, why wouldn't you be willing to pay this amount?
      I would have to really, really consider it... I've been taught to shop smart, and not to blow my money on frivolous things (unfortunately my parents are less than happy about BJDs and would put them in this category - they don't even know about my Kyle Reese on the way HAHA). I think it's mostly because of the other things I could buy for a few thousand - a used car, for instance. I wouldn't be able to justify my purchase of a $2000+ doll if I didn't even have a car yet...

Basically, until I have a LOT of spare money to spend on dolls, I could never pay more than a thousand on one. Plus I'm 17 - where am I going to get thousands of dollars in the first place?! xD

4. I'm personally not willing to pay even close to $1000 for a doll. It's not that I think they're "not worth it", it's that it's more than I'm willing to spend on that sort of item. I'm uncomfortable spending more than about $600 for a doll, so I don't do it. Even if my "dream doll" was selling for $1500 or $2000 I wouldn't even consider buying it, because it doesn't matter how much I want a doll, that's just too much for me.

I think how much a doll is "worth" has to do with the market and with demand for that doll. What limits me is how much I'm comfortable spending.

5. This confuses me a bit, since I paid $1380+ for my Euclase (shipping, full set+sanding (which got refunded since they couldn't sand him, but is a factor for other similar dolls), and one extra wig) direct from Soom. Even if you knock off the $22 for the wig, that wouldn't account for much of a markup at all if I were to sell him for $1400, though I suppose it depends on what options were involved there.

I don't mean to single you out, Splynterhayde -- it's just a good example of what I think the core of the answers to this question are for me, personally: how much of the asking price is accounted for in some manner, and how much is "hype" or "rarity" or "chase factor" when dealing with the secondary market.

I haven't bought any dolls second hand in part because the secondary market, almost as a rule, is something I'd rather not even -look- at because of "hype" or "chase factor" markups. (I keep it in mind in case I need to sell something if some horrible, dire emergency arises, but thankfully I've dodge that bullet thus far.) I did back when I collected fashion dolls in a few instances, and while I treasured a few of the finds I acquired that way, some of the others? They just didn't seem worth all the extra being asked for them. They are now collecting the very same dust as the ones I paid retail (or less) for, and that's something I have to keep in mind.

I find I'm more willing to shell out for something costly when it's the retail price than on the secondary market. I had to fight myself over the Euclase, for instance, because that was one daunting amount of money to spend at all on one item. If anything, the existence of the secondary market pushed me toward that purchase because I knew that there would be a markup on it later and if I wanted him, I was going to have to pay it -- it may have been one that was reasonable, it may have been ridiculous. There was no way to know either way, and I knew I'd likely be better off buying him for the original asking price, even if it stung.

If I had unlimited resources? I really wouldn't care about the price tags, and would... probably need to build an addition to the house to store everything. :lol:

Sadly, I don't have unlimited resources, so that's just not an option, and price has to be considered. I don't have a 'top limit' that I won't go beyond -- if I have it, and if I think it's a fair price for the item. Those are two really enormous "ifs", though.

6. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?
      I have been in a position to have been offered my Grail doll last year at around 3 - 4K and basically, after a lot of soul searching, I passed on him. I just couldn't do it. I had the money and I could have spent it on him. I wanted to but my conditioning wouldn't let me. (Also I thought I could easily buy about 5 other dolls for this cash)

It had obviously been worth that much to the seller as she had brought him on the secondary market. I have already been shouted down regarding my feeling on the markups on this specific doll, who does seem to attract really huge prices. I think people are quite sensitive when it comes to the amount they are willing to spend. It seems to depend on the person and the doll. Ultimately he wasn't worth it to me. I do kick myself occasionally though.

-If you have ever bought a limited doll from a second hand market for a minimum of a few thousand dollars, what are the pros and cons of this? And do you worry that it may lose value due to popularity (or lack of) or from typical wear over time? What makes that doll worth it to you?

I brought my Genji from YJapan for almost 2K. He was worth it to me because he was perfect for one of my favourite long running characters. If I found a perfect doll for my other favourite boy I would probably be happy to spend the same. I'm not interested in selling my Genji ever so wear and tear don't bother me.

I think the popularity thing is really interesting and there is definitely the feeling of a private members club to certain very expensive sculpts. While other equally limited dolls, seem not to have held their original prices, nevermind what people would probably charge if they could get away with it. I would never buy a sculpt just because its rare/popular among glitterati of the bjd collecting world. But its hard not to get carried away when you have 35+ other people going on about how wonderful this doll is in a thread.

7. Just jumping in to say quickly, that I've noticed this too. Perhaps one of the least "impressive" in terms of money, but perhaps most impressive in terms of what-the-hell was seeing several SwD Syo (one of my dream dolls!) on Y!J going for a couple hundred dollars more than he was on Volks website... whilst he was still in-stock! :? I didn't get it then and I really sure as hell don't get it now! There wouldn't have even been a massive wait-time for Volks themselves to ship him out because he would have been one of their in-stock dolls (I think? seems to have been the case with other left-over limiteds).

There almost seems to be an unwritten rule, doesn't matter which doll it is, even if it's one of the less popular dolls, it'll have its price bumped up quite a bit! :o It's like it's expected!

8. Ah yes, this is exactly what I sort of meant in the first post.

For dolls that are as expensive as they are, there shouldn't be any of what I call defects. Seam lines for one, the issue with yellowing resin.

What irks me the most about yellowed resin is that out of the few dolls I've had in my life, Barbies, an American Girl doll, a porcelain doll, all were pretty cheap (the AG doll being the most expensive, around $80 at the time) ever had issues such as yellowing. Aside from the hair on my American Girl doll (which doesn't tend to last too well with most dolls, especially those carried around), the doll looks the same as when I got it and that was almost 15 years ago. The fact that a "cheap" doll doesn't do this and yet and expensive one does in a span of time frequently 1/5 of what I'd mentioned, is a bit off-putting.

There is one company who's dolls are one of the most expensive and I have seen so many cases of where their dolls yellowed significantly within a years time. This company produces a lot of limiteds that a worth a lot (in fact, I saw one in person and it was one of the most horribly yellowed dolls I've seen).

9. -Is any doll worth that amount from your point of view?

For me, no. I'm sure there are many people for whom it is worth it, but I like to lightly play with my dolls. A doll that expensive just wouldn't be something I'm comfortable taking on a roadtrip or photographing in the garden. I go out of my way to take good care of my dolls when doing these things already, but that price tag would simply impair my enjoyment of the doll by making me too hypersensitive about it's condition. With hundreds of beautiful sculpts already out there, there are too many dolls that allow me to have a greater enjoyment--without being afraid of decreasing their value--for me to ever justify that kind of price. My upward limit is around $1000.

-To those who would not pay this amount, even if you did have the money: Let's just pretend that your dream dolly is a limited going for a few thousand, why wouldn't you be willing to pay this amount?

An expensive LE is something that could never be my dream dolly for the reasons stated above. I would feel less satisfaction if I always had that high sticker price in the back of my mind. I'm the type of person who only buys dolls that I intend to keep, but it would still be in my thoughts and interefere with my ability to bond with the doll. Conversely, I have two dolls that are around the $600 dollar mark and love them so much that I wouldn't part with them even for $4000. For me, dolls aren't a monetary investment. It's the experience and enjoyment that the doll brings that has the real value.

10. The one thing about yellowing (unless the doll has been well taken care of and still yellows unusually fast--in which case there could be legitimate issues with the resin)--is that it's going to happen to resin dolls no matter what. It's just how the material ages, and as such I don't believe it constitutes damage. To an extent, it can also be corrected if the own chooses to. Now if you're talking about a doll that's been properly cared for and has suddenly started seriously yellowing within a couple of months, that would be a concern for me too. But I'm not sure you can compare resin to vinyl or porcelain since it is a different material with very different properties.

11. People can spend what they want on their dolls but I, personally, wouldn't pay some of what I've seen people charge. When it all comes down to it, it's a doll.. It's a doll that I like and I wish I could have it, but it's still a doll. I don't need it.

12. For what it's worth -- and I'll preface this by saying I don't actually own one of these, so I'm operating on everything I've read here on the forum and on the manufacturers' websites -- tanned resin is VERY touchy to sand. A lot of times, if you try to sand away seam lines on tanned resin, you're left with a section of resin that's a different shade of tan than the rest of the doll. In fact, several companies -- Dream of Doll, for example -- specifically tell you NOT to sand the seams on tan dolls for this reason. That's not a defect, it's just something inherent to the resin being used on that particular doll. Additionally, colored resins can be prone to marbling and uneven color in places. Again, not a defect or a quality issue, just an inherent property of the material and a risk that a buyer needs to be aware of.

As Taco mentioned above me -- vinyl and plastic don't yellow like resin yellows. It's an inherent quality of the material, and something that will happen no matter what, just because that's how the material reacts. Porcelain and vinyl are an entirely different chemical make-up, so naturally they won't have the same reactions to air and age that resin does. French resin, in particular, yellows faster; it's just something that happens with this kind of resin. Not a defect at all, just something that a buyer needs to be aware of, and you can't compare resin's aging process to that of porcelain and vinyl.

As to the original question -- yes, there are dolls I feel are worth that much money. There are a couple that I would drop the funds for if I had them that easily run into the four-figures range. (I don't have the funds.) They're rare collectibles, and my own desire for certain molds means that if I had the money to blow then yes, I would be willing to spend a substantial amount for the dolls I want. However, I don't have the funds, so thus it's a moot point for me right now.

13. So here are some questions:

Sure, if it were jewel-encrusted and had hair weaved from gold XD . But seriously, I've no doubt that there are some dolls, maybe not within 'our league' of typical BJDs but things like rich antique dolls or something, that are worth quite a lot. For example, priceless dolls in museums ^^ . Or dolls that are actually lavishly made, with things like real jewels and finest silks and things like that. But typical BJD stuff... I'm not so sure. Maybe the reeeaaally nice and limited ones, but not more than a couple thousand.

-To those who would pay this amount but haven't/can't: What makes a doll worth this amount to you?

I can't think of any doll I would pay close to this amount for... But I wouldn't rule out the possibility entirely. If there were a doll I would be willing to pay this amount for, I'd say that it would have to be super-durable, last a lifetime without noticeable wear/yellowing/etc., feel beautifully to the touch, have the absolute perfect face and body to every point, pose wonderfully, have a beautiful color, and maybe come with all sorts of extras as part of the package, like high-quality eyes, extra hands or feet, wigs, clothes, what have you. XD

I'm not so choosy that I could only love ONE doll out of a million dolls in the world. I know in my heart that there are plenty of dolls that are far cheaper that I could love and care for just as much... Besides, a doll of that price would make me afraid to handle it! I could be content just looking at pictures if I truly loved it that much.

And, well, if I wanted my dream doll that badly, at that point I think I would rather attempt to make it myself instead of spending that much money. I'm kind of artsy, and sculpting a doll sounds fun, so I'd definitely want to try that before spending THOUSANDS of dollars on one.

ali

14. Sure thing. I've seen what people pay for engagement rings and handbags... I don't own any diamonds, but I do have a OOAK SchoolHead A mod by Satoko Ohno, which to me is a much less vulgar way of spending & displaying one's luxury dollars. Kaiya was the exact doll I had been looking for at that time. His bidding-war ended in the price of a small used car, but I live in the city so I have no use for cars either. This doll is a unique & breathtaking creation straight from the hands of the Master (<3), so he is definitely more on the level of a painting/sculpture than a car/diamond.

I do not worry about resale values, because those are purely in the hands of Fate and the future. All I can do for them is to keep the doll in good condition, for as long as he's in my custody; that's the easy part. I've had him for over 3 years and I still glow whenever I look at him.

@VioletNightmare, no-- Tez is right, you do not sand seam lines on tanned dolls. Some companies have casting-tricks that minimize the lines, but they don't get sanded, because it'd ruin the finish. Companies will declare this to you in print on the sales-page. Seams are not considered a defect.

15. When it comes to yelllowing, of course it's understandable that the chemical properties of one material would differ from another, but why are BJDs made out of a material that degrades so quickly? There are so many substances in this world, and I find it hard to imagine that there wouldn't be something more durable.

Now, I have never even attempted to make or sculpt a doll. If resin is really the best material for this, that is somewhat understandable, more-so the efforts that are made to make it UV resistant.

To me, using materials that are not as good as they could be is like an artist creating a beautiful painting on a crappy canvas. Is the art worth the price? Certainly, but wouldn't it be nice if it would last longer?

Also, when it comes to thinks like handbags, they're more durable when they cost more and they're made out of the best materials possible.

16. The price a doll collector will pay is most likely more than a person who will purchase a doll because they want to use the doll for play or dress-up. Certainly $4,000 is a lot to pay for most of us on a doll that was only released in Japan and might be impossible for the US market to obtain, but a collector will see it as a good buy. I guess the reason is your own as to the price you will pay for a doll. I for one want a Volks - Springtime Liz real bad. But, there is a limit as to the price I will pay. There was one on Ebay priced at $2,000 a few weeks ago. It didn't sell, so it showed up again this week at a lower price. Supply and demand works will in this case, but still, the price is a bit too much for me to pay for a doll I plan to use. If she came down to $1,100 - $1,400 I might consider the purchase. Still looking for my "Liz". May be after January I'll have a chance to purchase her.:whitetruffle

17. To me the chunk of resin is not worth thousands of dollars, but getting a particular doll is. I'd rather buy an SD sized doll for $500-600, but sometimes a doll is rare and difficult to get and I'm not the only one who wants it.

It's like a signed copy of a book and a normal copy. They both contain the same story. They are both sheets of paper bound together. When you drop them they make the same sound and I'm sure they both smell just as terrible when you burn them. Still they are not of the same value.

I have an expensive limited and I could have gotten several dolls with the money I paid for that single doll, but I thought that money was worth getting that specific doll. The doll itself scratches and yellows just the same as my other regular edition dolls. In that aspect it's not worth the money, because the quality is usually the same, but in my country there's a saying that loosely translated goes like: "It depends on what the idiot is willing to spend." ;)

18. So here are some questions:

No of course not. They are only dolls. I think that people who are willing to pay that much will say they are though otherwise why do it?

If you have ever bought a limited doll from a second hand market for a minimum of a few thousand dollars, what are the pros and cons of this? And do you worry that it may lose value due to popularity (or lack of) or from typical wear over time? What makes that doll worth it to you?
      Nope never. Wouldn't spend that much.

To those who would pay this amount but haven't/can't: What makes a doll worth this amount to you?
      N/A to me.

To those who would not pay this amount, even if you did have the money: Let's just pretend that your dream dolly is a limited going for a few thousand, why wouldn't you be willing to pay this amount?
      Beause like I said before. They are only dolls, not matter how much work goes into them, nothing lasts forever. It's a ridiculous amount to spend on a toy.

19. When I see a doll costing that much I wonder how they get away with that. In all reality even though I love my dolls they aren't worth 4000$ even to me. There is a point when you have to take into account that all the hard work and the materials never add up to that. It's not impossible to find a cheaper doll and fix it up to look however you want it.
      I don't think I could pay that much but I respect the people who have that kinda money to spend on whatever they want.

20. Yes, but I only want one doll that will be worth that to me. I did pay $1300 for my Olivia, however that was close to her retail price, only with fees added to get her. I want a SDC Renee and since she was so limited, I know she'll be $2000 at least. So yeah, I think some are worth it.