1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Full set or basic? What do you prefer?

Jun 21, 2011

1. I never even bought fullset, I prefer basic dolls for reasons already mentioned.
      So far I am satisfied with default makeup but I always replaced random eyes or random wig.
      I think now buy blank dolls and do myself faceup...

2. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      Yes! It was my very first doll actually.

do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?
      It really depends on the fullset. The doll I mentioned above was in fullset outfit a lot of times, I really liked it. When I got more clothes for her, I changed them ofc. But the fullset outfit is still in good condition and ready to wear again when I feel like it.
      Dolls with fantasy parts, however, usually are in their "human" form, unless I need a specific photo.
      Some other fullset dolls usually stayed in their outfit only until the moment I could get more clothes for them ^^

3. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      I would say yes. My Soom Amber is a complete fullset except she has a custom face-up and fantasy parts blushing. My Latidoll Largo has default everything, except I didn't get the secondary outfit and shoes (his fullset came with two). I loved how they were presented, and thought they were perfect as-is.

Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture?
      Yes, I would say they were accurately portrayed.

Do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?
      Yep, they are both wearing their default outfits, but I am thinking about getting them different eyes and clothes for fun.

4. I, most of the time, go for the completed set because I buy limited character edition dolls so I would know the personality of the characters really well (I'm only collecting Dollfie Dreams right now). Of course I change them out of their default, but for the type of clothes I would get, I stick with what their personality is like in the original series of the doll.

The only times I wouldn't go for the full set is if I'm not familiar with the character and I really like her head. lol So far since I'm only following Volks news, it seems like if I would get their SDs, I would also get them as a full set because the outfits that Volks makes is absolutely gorgeous.

5. I think a fullset is really good if it's a special edition doll (I have one fullset doll and she's a SE Iplehouse Tania) but I usually don't like the items of a fullset and opt for basic. There are a lot of times though where I'll like the wig they have on (:

6. Full sets look lovely but they're not usually what I had in mind. I'd definitely go for basics.

7. Generally go for basics, but some full sets are just so beautiful and fit in with my character that I can't help but fall in love with them!

8. My very first doll was a fullset, but i then was really-really new to the hobby in general, so i wasn't familiar with all of those words like fullset etc. I've never had any other fullset ever after. Though I know a few dolls which i could actually order exactly as they are styled by their company, at least, you can always sell and change the part you don't like/need. Like if everything is perfect but the wig. Or shoes. Or makeup. That would be fine for me :3

9. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      I have several full-set dolls - one's a Volks so no choice (my Sakamoto) & the others, well, I liked the outfits & felt they were worth the price to add to the cost of the doll. Then there's my Ringdoll Kirin - OMG fell TOTALLY in love w/the whole package - love that cosplay!
      Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and clothes and wigs in the promo picture?
      I can't do faceups. I've got a few dolls to send to artists, but for the most part I just get the default (or choose the one I want, depending on the company). The clothing, wigs & eyes are always changeable. My dolls have large wardrobes, cosplay & street wear both.
      Even with full set clothes (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just don't touch at all (like the hats or coats)? I don't BUY the full set outfit unless I think it's worth the $$$. That includes all the parts being used somewhere at some time by some doll. I do keep the FS outfits in decent shape & when not in use I store them together in case I do resell the doll. Now the Volks Ryomo Sakamoto FS outfit - THAT's a special one. It's all together, NOT on a doll, for the most part. I took pictures of it on my doll & I will bring it out when I get the Shinsengumi outfits made for a couple other dolls (for a staged photo shoot) but otherwise, it's stored carefully w/a couple other elaborate historical outfits.

10. I definitely prefer "basic" a nude doll with a face-up but leave the choice of wig, eyes, and clothes to me. I got into BJD because they were ideal vehicles for my doll costuming efforts. That's what makes the hobby enjoyable for me and justifies the expense of the dolls vs. say Barbies or something cheaper. Also can save a little $$$ by making rather than buying clothes, except shoes -I buy those.

That said I have several dolls that came as full sets. My Masha I have disposed of everything default (clothes, eyes, wig). My Date and my one-off Tony I have kept their items, because they are special, although I rarely break them out of storage. I'm not as keen on painting faces so I prefer dolls with nice face-ups. I like the way Volks FCS dolls come, nude with my choice of eyes and wig.

11. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?

Yep! Several times! Everything about them just screamed perfection so I ordered them just as they are. But I've also ordered dolls that have fullsets as just basic, like my Fairyland F65 Chloe and Roke. Mostly because I wanted just the bodies for other doll heads. Of course, that didn't work out in either case so I just ended up with two more dolls than I had before. :)

Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture?

Actually, the wigs are probably the only things I usually don't order with a fullset, since I already have so many wigs and there's always something that works for the doll in question. I did order the wig with my Soom Benmore, but it actually ended up with another doll, because I found him a gorgeous silver wig that matches his entire look much better.

Even with full set cloths (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?

Depends, really. I usually have them wear the entire fullset outfit for awhile, but sometimes they just wear pieces of it. I keep all fullset outfit pieces together, though, when they're not being worn to make sure they don't get mixed up with another set or lost.

12. As for me, I prefer basics. To order fullset is often really not cheap. more over, it is not interesting, usually, its style doesn't suit my imagination. I prefer to "assemble" doll myself :)

13. i prefer basic for the simple fact that i have never found a fullset that is completely perfect for my girls. if i ever come across a full that is i will happily pay the money for it.

14. Full set, I love full set costumes :)

15. I will go for fullsets for the dolls I like if they are available and I like the clothes. So far I have taken out of their sets and gave them a new look, but I still love having the original company clothes, they are always beautiful and well made, so I enjoy swaping them between my dolls.

Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      When I saw the Angela Feeple 65 fairyland full set my jaw nearly hit the floor, she was just prefect in every way and reminded me so much of a demon hunter character I designed

Even with full set cloths (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?
      If they are going to wear any of the fullsets they will wear the whole thing apart from maybe the wig, so far I have found full set wig to be more then a little poor.

16. I am very new to this hobby too. However, I prefer full sets. I like to see what the final product will be and am more of a visual collector. Meaning I like to hold my dolls and admire them and have them already look beautiful and dressed. I wait so long for them that I want to open a perfectly suited doll. :)

17. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      Yes, my B&G Doll TOW Mini Buryssa.

Yes pretty much. I don't like the fur lining on the dress, but it is not something I could not look past.

Yes, but they also send a beaded cord that wasn't shown on the picture. Later I found out that the SD version wears that wrapped around her buns. I chose to leave only that out. I won't change her style until I get tired of this one.

18. I prefer basic dolls, but I have bought dolls because of their beautiful face-up! Or well, I would already have that doll on my wishlist, and then decide to buy that particular doll because of the face-up. I'm not so good at doing face-ups myself though(..understatement xD)so I always have to commission someone, it is easier when the doll already has a beautiful face-up. I like making their clothes myself though, and often I already have some idea for their eyes and wigs, so that's why I rarely buy fullsets, unless that is the only way the doll is available. When I do get a fullset, the clothes and such are usually scavenged by my other dolls xD

19. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      Yes, my Volks Amakusa Shiro Tokisada. I was interested in the historical figure and the doll's face was perfect. His outfit is stunning with beautiful details and excellent quality. In fact everything about him was just right :D
      I have other fullset dolls but none of them were as perfect as him. My first doll was a basic doll which is ideal as a starter doll IMO, unless you are 100% sure the fullset is exactly what you want.

Something I never thought of when I first got into the hobby is that with fullset dolls, it can be stressful if you've misplaced an accessory or if the outfit gets stained. Having to be extra careful for this reason can lessen your enjoyment of the doll. Another problem is when your fullset doll was painted by a famous faceup artist. It makes you worried about chipping the face-up and again potentially lessen your enjoyment. I'm gentle with all my dolls, but I'm extra gentle with the fullset ones. It doesn't particularly bother me, but if you carry your dolls around a lot, for outdoor photography for example, it could be an issue.

It depends on the company. Mostly yes. The wigs can be disappointing because photos often show a styled wig and sometimes it is impossible to style it the same way yourself.

Sometimes. It's also nice to mix and match with other clothes or wear just part of the set. When the dolls aren't wearing them, I keep the full set outfits complete and separate from their other clothes to make sure no pieces go missing.

20. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?

Yes, several. My Iplehouse KID Joy Punk fullset, my Lati Yellow Snow Queen Miel, my Fairyland LTF Lewi Pirate fullset, my Luts Hauted Series Persi Witch and Velo Ghost Knight and my Soom Lottery Teenie Gem Carbon. When a fullset is already exactly the best I could imagine for a doll then I just get it. I also have a few more on the way. Most dolls are basics in my collection or just partial fullsets though.

Yes, usually. Sometimes I don't use the wigs when they are bad quality or I just find a wig that suits them better. And I often change the eyes. But I usually use the outfits because they are the main reason to get a fullset for me.

Do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?

Yes, I usually do. As I said I sometime change eyes and wig but use all the other parts :)