1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Full set or basic? What do you prefer?

Jun 21, 2011

1. I have bought one full set doll ever and that was because that was the only way to buy it. I usually buy the dolls blank or with a simple faceup, I really prefer to choose my own eyes, wig and clothing.

2. In my experience, I usually go for the basic. I /might/ buy with make-up if I like the face up enough. (And that's nice because then I don't have to hunt down an artist as I am not of the skills to do one yet.) So far, there's only one doll that I want full set: http://mintoncardinc.com/dolls/item_details.php?BJD=1671&name=Vivian&cat=26&DOLL=YES. She is /perfect/ for my girl Roary. (Except I'd like her in Neutral Beige or Island skin and then with a different shade of eyes. I'm planning on Variant make-up! So excited!) I just /love/ the outfit and her spunk and thankfully the full set isn't that /terribly/ expensive. (Some dolls alone cost what the set costs, so that's nice I'll be getting the whole shebang.) Usually though I am content enough that the face and make-up make the character, and then I'll provide the clothes. (Sets can be ridiculously pricey. :/)

3. I feel that full sets are a bit hit and miss for me. They're hella pricey, compared with their blank brothers. But then, they come equipped with everything.
      But I often like the sculpt and a few other things, but dislike the rest of the fullest, you know? I think I'd rather just start from scratch and get basic. Especially with regards to the fact that there are a lot of pretty heads out there, and not so many pretty and mature MSD girl bodies to go with them :)

4. For me, it depend on how the character looks or story. Like volks dollfie dream, the collaboration model is tempting me, especially if the character is my favorite one. I don't mind to buy the full set.
      But if the character don't appeal me or I don't know too much about the character I go with the basic one that is head and body only.

But mostly I go with basic cause full set is same like setting fire on eyes and wallet :sweat

5. Full sets always catch my eye, but in the end I want to personalize my own doll, so I would go for the basic. Plus, a full-set adds so much money to most sets, I do not think I could bring myself to buy one unless I fell head over heels for it. I have seen many Full Sets I thought were cool, and I like seeing the sculpt all dressed up, but I always have my own ideas on what I want my doll to look like. Buying the full-set would be rather pointless in most cases because I would just take them out of their set outfit anyway.

6. I always purchase naked, basic dolls, I want to customise them myself and build a bond with them. Although the full sets are usually very beautiful, I find them a little commercial and I know other people will have a doll that looks like yours. I want my dolls to be unique and my own creation.
      I'm really loving white skin, which I know isn't the most popular.

7. For the most part, no, I don't think I would go for a fullset (though I won't rule it out if one totally blows me away and I can see using at least most parts of it), because I have particular looks in mind for all my dolls and most fullsets I've seen wouldn't fit with the plans for them, even without me trying to justify the cost to myself.

Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything? No, but I won't rule it out happening someday. There are some gorgeous sets out there, but while I enjoy looking them over on the company sites or in owner photos, none have been anything I really want yet.

Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture? No; I think even if I found a fullset that fit what I wanted, I'd want to expand on it, rather than just use it all the time. Part of what I love about these dolls is that you can change their look so easily, and I do regularly change the clothes on my existing dolls to fit different moods or seasons. Any fullset I fell for would likely get rotated out with the other clothing options I have.

Even with full set cloths (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just won't touch at all (like the hats or coats)? I imagine if I did pick up some nice fullset outfits, I'd still likely break them up a bit, and use just what looked best on the doll at the time. There's a few I admire, but that have pieces I can't see myself using if I ever did pick them up.

8. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything? I saw few sets being very close to ideal, but still i would find some minor details i would like to change like eyes, wig, sometimes face up.

Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture? I would always change at least one of these things. I mean sometimes default may be nice but still there is this feeling that maybe using different wig or changing the face up would put like a new personality to a doll.

Even with full set cloths (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)? It depends on the clothing. With some outfits i got feeling they are already "complete" - making too much changes would make them look just bad. But some clothes get better look if you will add some minor details like jewelery, hats etc.

9. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      Not yet. The few fullsets I've bought have been because that was the only way to attain the doll from company.

Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture?
      Not usually; I tend to have a more specific idea about where I want to go with a doll. Also I tend to buy secondhand, where the face-up may be non-existent or done by the previous owner rather than default. And lastly, I'm basically in complete awe of so many of the wonderful customizers out there that I usually prefer to commission over keeping the default look (though there are a few dolls I have I doubt I'll be changing).

Even with full set cloths (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?
      Now that you mention it, I do skip on the hats/coats a bit! I also occasionally mix-and-match between outfits.

10. Sometimes I choose basic but sometime the full set. It depends on the what condition is. Of course the doll itself is what I consider most. When I was new in this I was always attracted by the default makeup, but sooner I found that the dolls arrived usually differed from the photo. So I turned to order makeup because I like something special but not satisfied with my skill. For the cloth, sometimes I just enjoy collecting the official cloths I like, although they are not so "free". And I also like to combine the parts from several sets(dollheart for example) to make my own style.

11. well , for me it depends on the doll type..

I usually go full set with Dollfiedream. the reason is that I buy the doll because of the character. Therefore I have to collect the outfit and others.

but for other dolls, I usually go basic with them.. because I do not have feel for their original stroies...

12. Full set are too expensive for me. I always get basic doll. I can use that money for full set to buy 2 basic doll, why waste.

13. I have been tempted to buy some fullsets, but since I'm living off a tiny budget, when a doll is released, it will take me about a year before I have enough money to afford them. Together with my fondness for hybrids, it's never been practical to go for a fullset.

Doesn't make me want some of their outfits any less though :).

14. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      Yes, three in fact. At least when I bought them.

Are you satisfied with just the default make-up and cloth and wigs in the promo picture?
      I've made some changes over the years.
      For Nr.1: I've made him some other clothes, too. I also got him another wig, although it's the same colour and just another hair-style.
      For Nr.2: He had a tattoo as his fullset face-up, I got rid of that. Other than that I've made him some other clothes, too, although I still use part of the outfit.
      For Nr.3: He's not been here for too long, so I've yet to find him some other clothes and a better wig. The eyes he came with weren't his fullset eyes. And because they were really ugly, I've changed those, too.

Do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just don't touch at all?
      Nr.1: I was quick to notice his FS pants were too short on his hip. His coat and shirt are fine, though, so I let him wear those occasionally.
      Nr.2: Part of his FS outfit is actually worn by someone else, now. ^^
      Nr.3: He has a really long cape, that actually fit Nr.1 better. And I made some other pants and an eyepatch, too. ^^ Other than that it's fine.

15. I rarely see a fullset that I not only love, but feel would fit the character I have in mind for the doll, AND I think is worth the extra money... So I tend to prefer basic, because I love to customize as much of the doll as I can! Also I feel bad about wiping such gorgeous faceups as they sometimes have, but if they're not right for the character...

16. I have never bought a full set and I never intend to. I find that I don't prefer factory clothing to my own handmade or selected handmade clothing options. It would be a waste of money for me. I would prefer to get the eyes and wig of my choice, even though eyes are random anyway. I do prefer factory face up, but when it comes to fantasy, the factory face up might not please me if it wasn't exactly as pictured and, it never is.

17. I found SD16 Megu both ways. I found her head on DOA and there was a full set also available. The full set was way too expensive so I settled for the head with default faceup which is !!! drop dead gorgeous !!! At the same time I also found a SD13 body on DOA which turned out to be a perfect match. This was my 1st ever BJD purchase & I'm thrilled with how she turned out. This particular Megu 16 is the only one that I loved as a full set. Since putting her together I no longer want her original outfit. With all the beautiful outfits available I really do not feel a need for a full set.

18. Full-set definitely! But I could be bias because all my kids so far have been previously owned! Being able to purchase one as a full-set is a dream I hope to realize soon!

19. I always buy basic dolls. I want to customise them myself. And the full set are much expensive.

20. I've found full-sets to be gorgeous, but I'd probably never buy one. They're very expensive. I have been known to, however, buy secondhand dolls and change them very little or not at all from how they came to me. They're still unique, because they're not from a company, and I can still make them whoever I want them to be. The point of BJDs, for me, is to make my own character. If I buy a full-set from a company, someone else essentially has my doll.