1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Full set or basic? What do you prefer?

Jun 21, 2011

1. I usually go for basic, unless the make-up and clothing are perfect for a character I have in mind

2. I love to have the fullset in lati white because there are not a lot of dresses for her on the internet. In Lati Yellow, i prefere to buy without , and try to make myself, or see on the etsy shops

3. I am forever too broke for full sets, so I often go basic just because I can usually find clothes that work for less than the full-set price. Plus, I like having the chance to work on my own face-ups and doll skills.

4. I've only ever found one fullset I loved (my Puki). Everything else, I prefer the blank doll as I like finding my own clothes and getting a custom faceup. It makes the doll feel more mine when I can do that.

5. I prefer the basic doll, without make up, clothes, eyes or wig usually. But with some companies, like Bluefairy I can't get white or baked/tan doll without the extras so I end up buying a doll with face up I might want to change and clothes I might not need. It depends on the company also, I like if I can buy only a doll of limited edition and if I want, I could choose the face up and other stuff to go with them. I've only seen one fullset I really liked with everything she had, but I didn't buy it becouse I already had a doll like it.

6. I always go for basic! My dolls shell characters that I've designed previously and I have never seen a fullset that would be able to encompass them completely. However, I'm not opposed to fullsets! I would definitely get one just for it to look pretty, but not until I shelled all the dolls that I've thought of having since I've had yet to find one that strikes me enough to buy it!

7. Basic sets for me, as basic as I can get them. Mostly because I like "playing" with a doll, a full set doesn't do anything for me, since all the work is already done and over with :'D.

8. If a fullset is available, I'll go for that because I like having wigs and clothes readily available. And the outfit is usually exclusive to the fullset. Of course, I can change them at any moment I wish, so getting a fullset is sort of a bonus for me. :)

9. I usually go basic. that allows me to be more creative. Or it gives me the feeling at least. I suppose if its limited then full set is a given

10. I prefer basic because I like to change clothes and/or accessories from time to time. Unless I really love a fullset outfit, I won't get a BJD in fullset. Fullset also represent defined characters so, as said above, it's easier to be more creative with a doll in basic.

11. Basic for me! I prefer to do my own faceups and there's rarely any full sets worth the money for(except for that Norman 2.0 but $885 omg). ;__;

12. Basic.
      I want to design and transform my own doll.
      That would be my greatest satisfaction.

13. I love fullsets. In theory. I like seeing the concepts companies come up with and the execution. For my collection however I just prefer getting blank dolls and turning them into my own characters.
      I do have a grand total of two dolls with default face ups though.

14. All in all, it depends on the full set. Most of the time I will go for the basic doll, since I like the bonding that comes with facing up and sewing for my dolls all on my own, but if the full set has something that I would just beat myself up over if I didn't have it (doesn't happen all that often, but when it does it really does!), then full set it is. Usually, though, I like starting with a blank slate, so to speak.

15. Basic! I don't really mind the costume set offered on the full set, but if they give some 'not for sale' body parts on full set only now that is my dilemma T3T.

16. I usually like the basic but there are a couple full sets that I would give a kidney for. Most of the time I love forming my own character and bonding with the doll. Sometimes I find that the full sets don't always compliment the personality.

17. My dolls are always basic, because I want to develop a character for them :3

18. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      Oh, all the time! They're usually so gorgeous that I wouldn't change anything. Even basics, I'm often happy with the face up and wig pictured. (Or maybe I'm just unimaginative. . . ?)

Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture?
      Usually with the face up and wig, yes! Even if I love the clothes, though, there's always so many different styles or clothes I can imagine them wearing. The exception to that would probably be Volks Charlotte and Lieselotte, or most Alice releases by various companies. . . they already look perfect, so I wouldn't change anything, or at least not often.

Even with full set cloths (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?
      It depends. In the case of Dollheart, the sets are usually too ornate for my taste. . . I like their Fukubukuro bags because there's some mix-and-match, it's more refreshing. Even then, though, there's usually a piece that I just don't like with the whole outfit, and will use with other outfits. Otherwise, it's hit-or-miss.

19. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?

Yes I have! The outfit just suits him so well that I wanted to keep him in that outfit for as long as I can. Of course, I don't plan on keeping him in that outfit forever, but until I make or buy another perfect outfit for him, I want him to stay in those fullset clothes.

Are you satisfy with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture?

Yes and no. I am satisfied with his fullset and I can let him stay like that for a while, but I am itching to learn how to sew and do my own faceups so I will probably give him a new faceup and clothes when I get good enough. For now, I want him as he is.

Do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)?

I probably would not touch the hat as often. But the outfit itself suits him very well.

20. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?

I think the only f​ullset I ever wanted was the Platina Angels Seio by Angelregion, but I was fully intending to buy her nude at the time (I missed out on her, sad face!). The thing I like about BJDs is that they can be whatever you want and they sort of mold into their own character as I spend time with them and because of that, I don't buy fullsets.

I'm almost NEVER satisfied with most default wigs because I don't like the fiber that most companies use, that matte stuff without a 'rooted' parting makes the wig so obviously a wig to me, so I buy my own wigs. As for the makeup I buy the doll only if I like the stock face. I think the only time that would change is if the sculpt were rare, and then I would immediately ship it out for a new face.

I like a lot of clothes on fullset dolls but I can't imagine buying them, just because they may not be what I like for them and it's too expensive to buy an outfit for 100$ that I might hate.

Even with full set cloths (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)? I really think we should have splits for full set clothes too!

I don't usually put the fullset on. I pick the pieces I like and mix them up with other pieces to make multiple outfits. I've never bought a fullset doll but I did buy a fullset outfit and the whole set has never been on my doll at once.