1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Full set or basic? What do you prefer?

Jun 21, 2011

1. Basic. I've never really seen a fullest I wanted that inspired me to pay the extra costs for the styling. There's always something about it I don't like or would never use, so I'd rather just go with a basic version that I can style myself.

2. I'm more into basic, less expensive, and I they rarely suit the character I want to shell in the doll. The exeption being for the Dollzone Minas (and a few other Dollzone fullset), I think it's just beautiful ! But still, I'm not sure to buy her fullset if I ever purchase her. Perhaps just the basic doll + outfit...

3. Full sets can be really nice, but as Calimello said before, they rarely suit my characters. I would probably end up selling them anyway because they don't suit or fit my other dolls.
      Getting a basic doll is the better option then.

4. I tend to like the basic much better. Fullsets are usually very pretty but there's something special about making the doll look unique. So I'd rather put the extra money into a nice wig and a custom faceup :)

5. It depends! If it's just the doll itself I like, I will always go for basic so it's cheaper and I can customize the doll myself. But sometimes you just come across a fullset that you fall in love with :). I also usually order them without a face-up, but I ordered one with the face-up because I really liked the company face-up :P.

6. My imagination is so wild that it's never, ever constrained by the mere fact of buying something in a set! If I want to keep the artist's vision together because it matches my vision, then I keep it together. If my vision doesn't match the fullset, then the doll gets changed.

If there's a choice, I usually always get fullsets, unless there's just too much stuff involved that I absolutely don't want. Most of the time the artists will spend more time & detail on the LE faceups so you get better quality. And I have a lot of dolls here, so even if the LE doll isn't going to be wearing any of his fullset clothes/hair/eyes/accessories, the chances are high that one of the others will adopt it. If something doesn't get used, it still gets stored along with the box, because the little details are what'll bring maximum resale value later, if you ever sell.

I've also bought and painted blank dolls too, with very little difference in the end-- as long as that doll matches the vision I had for him, it's immaterial who does the painting and styling.

7. I only get full set dolls from a company if I like the chatacter they intended to create. I prefer getting basic dolls for shelling my characters or whatever. I actually recently got a full set doll and basic that are the exact same doll. I loved the full set but also was perfect for one of my character to be shelled. That's how I sometimes can have doubles.

8. Never bought a full set, not even once. For me, the doll isn't to enjoy others' creativity, but my own. I have nothing against people who buy full sets. They are beautiful. But I'm an artist, and my dollies are my canvases.

9. Have you ever found a full set edition doll that is just exactly what you want? Including the make up, the cloth and everything?
      No, not yet.
      Are you satisfied with just the default makeup and cloth and wigs in the promo picture?
      I liked the makeup on my MK Illy doll and although I thought his clothes were cute, I didn't really want them. It's like that with a lot of dolls I have seen online. I may like their clothes, but it's not really something I'm in love with and simply must have.

But, I haven't researched too many companies, so it's possible that I may see a full set I want sometime in the future.
      Even with full set clothes (such as the wonderful dollheart), do you put the whole set on? or there is always some of the parts you just own touch at all (like the hats or coats)? I really think we should have splits for full set clothes too!
      I agree that they should let you pick apart full set outfits! I've seen some outfits that have something I want, but I don't want the whole set just for that one piece.

10. If I have enough money for the fullset, i'll always go for the fullset.

11. I've only bought a fullset once, mostly because it was available and it just seemed SO much easier to not have to sew something on a Realpuki's scale. *_*

Overall though my preferences have changed. In the beginning if I'd been able to get the doll I wanted as a fullset I would have, just so he'd have something to wear! Now I prefer to get my dolls completely blank so that I can customize them as I like. Aside from my Tyni I haven't bought a doll with a factory faceup since my second. When I bought a doll secondhand that came with some bits of paint I scrubbed her clean before painting her myself. I've made a good portion of their clothes as well. It's just more fun to me to leave my own stamp all over them

12. What I really love about BJDs is how customizable they are. It's so great to take a blank doll and turn it into something that you designed yourself. So I prefer basic dolls for sure. Bbecause all of my doll plans are for dolls to go in a story line that I'm working on so far I haven't seen a full set that really fit with what I'm doing. I have seen some pretty great full sets that I liked a lot but I doubt I would get one, partially because of the price and also because then I would have to think up a whole new character to go with that full set. But, of course, never say never.

I did just order a doll from Doll Love and I got the default faceup with it. But I only got it because it was free with the event and I think it will be nice to have the doll come to me not blank so that I can envision the character better right out of the box. We'll see if that works. It could end up completely looking wrong to me and making me want to get it redone even sooner. But i couldn't pass up free =P/

13. I usually like the look of the full sets but i always buy the basic dolls. I've found that doing a search for images of the doll I'm interested in brings up so many unique, creative and beautiful customizations that the full sets take on the look of a larger production run. One of the first things I do with a new doll is try on clothes and shoes. With a full set I'd be more inclined to leave it on for a while and then it'd go into storage.

14. I always want to have full sets so I won't have trouble looking for what to make them wear.. I am not confident with my painting skills either so I got my first doll asa full set one. At least she won't be sitting round the house naked.

15. I like to buy fullsets because it allows me to dress the doll when they first arrive. I usually don't keep them in their fullset outfit but it's nice to have and I know that I'll probably put it on another doll. I usually like to have them with faceups already done because I'm still a little shaky when it comes to that.

16. I feel like I'll never get a fullset doll ever. Part of my "playing with the dolls" involve doing their faceup. And fullset usually mean with faceup. so I'll end up feeling like I just throw away money :(

17. I like the basics but with the face up, especially if the faceup suits the character or if I can get a custom faceup. Otherwise i like to build the character up to how I want him or her.

18. Because I do not want to spend money on things I don't need to, I tend to go for basics because I adopted this mindset a long time ago in the hobby when I first started: If I want a certain piece of clothing THAT badly, I would make it myself for cheaper and get some skill under my belt too.