1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fullset or not?

Nov 10, 2010

1. I couldn't find another thread like this but if there is already one, Mods, please delete this.

Whenever a Company (think Soom, DoD, Fairyland ect.) releases a new fullset doll, no matter if LE or not, there are people buying them and I can't help but wonder what's the appeal of fullsets? Is it because the whole set is really what person A always wanted in a doll? Or is person B new in the hobby and deems it safer to start like that?
      And what about the other way 'round? Person C never ever bought a fullset - why is that?

Please be aware that this thread borders on this one:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...-for-your-dolls-VS.-dolls-for-your-characters
      Also, remember that I'm not asking whether someone has/hasn't got the money to do so since we all know that this is a luxury hobby.
      I am asking whether you'd prefer a fullset or not ? And why?

1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?

2. I have personally never bought a fullset. I much prefer to create the character from scratch - including painting their face-ups, making or choosing all their clothing, wigs, eyes etc. A big and important part of this hobby for me is the customization aspect.

I suppose that I could possibly buy a fullset at some point in the future. But it would have to be pretty amazing, and something that I've always wanted/looked for in a doll. Something that I could really be in love with.

And I suppose it all depends on personal preference. I think it's easier to buy hair, eyes, clothes and doll all together from the same company for your first doll. And for the less artistically inclined, definitely a factory faceup, but that doesn't necessarily equate to a fullset.

3. When it comes to fullsets, if they're more value for money than buying all the components by themselves, I would buy them and split off the unwanted parts in the process. I usually commission custom faceups for my dolls, but in the case of say, maybe a Fairyland fullset, I would have no problems wiping off the faceup. However if I wanted a fullset BECAUSE it was an LE faceup, then of course that's a different story. ;)

4. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I haven't bought a fullset yet, but I'm not completely opposed to the idea.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain.
      I haven't yet, because I thouroughly enjoy putting my dolls together in my own way. Also, it saves money, or at least, it's a little less large a chunk of money to spend in one go. I do prefer seeing non fullset dolls, but it's about what the owner likes, not what I like. Dolls from SOOM for instance have amazing fullsets, but they are just too expensive for me I'm affraid (and either too big or too small lol).

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast?
      I would get a fullset if it were screaming at me. That hasn't really happened yet, but there's a first for everything. There's alot of fullsets out there that are amazing, but in the end not completely to my liking.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]?
      For people that are either first time buyers or people that really can't be bothered with the creative aspect, fullsets are a good option. They get something that fits the doll and is made for them, so ye, I would advise it. But I'm also a big big fan of completely costumizing your own doll, but not everyone is in to that, and that's fine ^^

5. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I'm not much of a fullset person.

There's usually very little point in me going the fullset rout. I have my own ideas as to how I want my dolls to look, and they rarely overlap enough with fullsets to make it worthwhile to buy one. I have one fullset -- he was my first doll, and it was nice to get him and be able to play with him right out of the box. However, I don't use most of his default outfit or wig. I recently changed his eyes as well. I like to tinker with my dolls, so it makes more sense for me now to buy non fullsets.

I have done both -- and I've learned never to say never in this hobby. It's always possible that someone could come out with a fullset that I would just die to have, but so far it's not something that really happens much.

That depends on the person. I don't think that there is one type of doll that's better for beginners, as people come into this hobby from different backgrounds, with different interests and skill sets. People should buy the doll they feel is best for them.

6. Hmm... I think some people have a really narrow idea of what you can do with a fullset. There is the assumption that the person buys the fullset and then never changes a single thing about it with no customization, which is just...impractical and very silly to me.

I've bought quite a few fullset dolls in my time. All of my dolls have custom faceups. They have different eyes and wigs and wardrobes because I have very specific ideas about what characters and thus their doll forms look like. But, the fullset often comes with useful items that even if they do not fit that specific doll, I can use for another doll. My Michele looks nothing like a default fullset Michele, but I still have his fullset outfit because it's perfect for my Kira boy. I bought a fullset Maki and gave him a complete gender reassignment. The head and body were split to go to two separate dolls. I bought special set Bluefairy boys because I thought the outfit they came with is cute, and getting the special set was the only way to get the carrot coloured shaggy wig. I wanted the carrot shaggy wig.

Any thing I do not want, I sell off to get what I do want. There is no less creativity involved in buying and customizing a doll that comes fullset than there is buying one that is blank.

7. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I've purchased fullsets and basic dolls, but I'm not sure I prefer either way.

I bought them because the mold fit the character I wanted. That's pretty much it. The clothes were nice, but ultimately not really what I planned on the character wearing all the time.

I've purchased basic and fullset so I don't think this counts for me. ^^;;

I would say go with the doll that appeals to you most. If you like the doll and the outfit, that's awesome. If you like the doll, but not the outfit and there's an option to get the basic doll, stick with the basic. If there is no option, sell it. I just keep mine for the sake of keeping it. *koff* I wouldn't pick a doll that was fullset over a doll I liked more. That's just asking for trouble later on if you decide you should have gotten another doll.

8. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I own one fullset doll and the rest are my OC's with their own outfits. I only bought my Cuprit as a fullset because I loved *absolutely everything* about her--but she's not an OC, she remains Cuprit, and I don't touch or change anything about her (and, to be honest, I find this boring :| and realize I dont really care for it.) My other dolls are all OCs and have variety of outfits and I would consider things like new faceups for them. I would say in general I prefer to not buy a fullset, because then if I don't like something I would feel guilty changing it (like wiping a company's faceup--ugh! what a waste of $50!) Sometimes though I see a doll appeals to me because I know I can use the head for one thing, the body for another, the outfit for another, and I wind up with a fullset on my wishlist but she wouldn't remain that way in my collection ^_^

I started getting into BJDs to shell my OCs, and to me a fullset doll already has a character of their own. I like original costumes, not one that you can see all over the place. I don't collect dolls just to collect them, and I don't make characters for my dolls *after* the purchase.

Unless a company reads my mind and comes out with a doll that looks and is costumed/wigged/eyed exactly like one of my OCs still waiting to be shelled then I'd get the fullset, but I doubt this will happen. It doesn't seem like many doll companies like making strong female characters in armor, with mature, Western, grumpy faces.

I think if you're not picky about your OCs look and dress, or if you don't even have OCs you're looking to shell, and just collect BJDs to collect them, then fullsets are fantastic. They are "easy" in that they will come with everything you need to get started and usually 100% sure you'll have a full outfit that fits, matches, looks professional, beautiful, and everything. It's discouraging when you first start and you can't find an outfit to fit them :sweat but it doesn't mean that you would keep them in their fullset outfit forever. There's always mix n' match options out there. I would find out what a person's goal is for the direction of involvement in the hobby before recommending a fullset.

9. This is a great question, because recently I just did this.

1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I'm most definitely not the person who buys fullsets. I NEVER like everything about the doll exactly as it's shown, and I'm extremely picky about wigs and eyes and such. However, I just bought my Hosoo from Dollmore, and she's a fullset.

For me, it's never happened where I've looked at the fullset doll and thought "You'd be perfect just that way!" The sculpt is one thing, the extras are another. I always prefer to do my dolls face-ups myself too, and in fullsets, they always come with one. Not to mention, my gang is a bunch of school kids, and fullsets are usually all Lolita-y or fantasy, or things like that, and while I like those things sometimes, they just don't suit what I'm going for in my collection.

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast? Well, the reason I bought my Hosoo as a fullset was because I had no choice. I feel in love with the doll- she's perfect! Unfortunately, the noir version sold out, and I had to jump on the blanche before it followed suit. I absolutely hate the face-up she's coming with, the wig and eyes will have to either be sold or repossessed by another doll, and the clothes don't suit her character at all for me. If I could have gotten away with getting her blank and nekkid I would have. Pretty much unless I fall head over heels for another LE sculpt that only comes as a fullset, I wont be buying another.

I wouldn't necessarily advise someone against it, it depends on the person. It may be that they prefer to have the doll ready to go straight out of the box. I however, prefer to spend time working at my dolls. I like to see them come to life carefully through my own personal attentions. Doing face-ups, making clothes, and buying props and accessories is pretty much how I play with my dolls. Getting Hosoo as a fullset doesn't mean that I can't "play" with her though. Her face-up has to go, as do her eyes, wig and clothes. My fun with her will come when I get to sit there selling off her extra things and sorting her out the way I want her. ;)

10. As someone who has bought both blanks and fullsets, I completly agree with this.
      The way a doll looks is often not something fixed and static, Fullsets can be a great start with a doll, especialy when you don't know what you want them to be and they will often evolve into something diffrent;
      I bought my first as a fullset about a year ago, all that remains of it with her is her wig and faceup, the clothing and eyes got sold off.

Yes, there are some people who buy a complete fullset and never change a thing (limiteds especialy), but that isn't everyones experience; and even if someone does have a fullset it doesn't mean the doll looks like that all the time.

11. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I have gotten dolls as a bag of broken parts, as a blank, with default face-up, with custom face-up and as fullset.

I love dolls in any possible way. I’m to old to care if other people think my dolls are original or not.

The broken dolls, the blanks and the custom face-ups where for fun, practice or because the default face-up did not match my ideas. For instance with my DZ Hid, I did not like the \ / type eyebrows of the default face-up so I got him another one. I also got a doll that survived a bad dog attack to see if I could restore it to its former glory. Found out that yes, I could. So awesome.

I got my IHS I as a fullset, because every thing together she looked completely as a character I had in mind since childhood. Now she has different eyes and she wears other clothes, but whenever I want to she can look exactly like that image.

Once I got another fullset because there where a ton of people who wanted to get the fullset outfit and I wanted more people to get the chance to own the outfit (with some Iple dolls they just make the number of outfits that are ordered as fullsets). I passed it on for the exact price Iple charged me.

As stated above, ive done both.

This is dependent on so many factors like: their finances, their personality, their intentions with the doll (I would be less likely to advise a default face-up to someone who already knows they are going to do a complete facial mod), the doll itself (some dolls are impossible to get in another was as as a fullset, I think of Soom monthlies), possible extra’s or events (I once got a doll with a face-up I knew I was going to wipe, but getting a 30 USD face-up upped the amount enough to get free shipping worth 80 USD), rarity of the doll (if someone is dead set on getting a rare mold, and they see it available, I would advise to go for it anyway), resell ability of the parts they don’t like or like less (anything that says Soom or Fairyland will find a new owner quick, while no one might be interested in a pair of extra hands in an off color from a virtually unknown company).

12. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      My first doll was a fullset, and she is my only doll. I have no preference.

I did it because at the time I knew if I bought a blank doll, I would not have the money left over to clothe it and buy wigs etc. As the only thing about the fullset I disliked were the eyes, I figured it would be cheaper to buy the fullset than buy blank and try and find clothes etc. that suited her character.

I have no objection to buying a blank doll, as long as I have financially planned for it. I'm a teenager so I'm not on a weekly wage; I have to plan really carefully when it comes to dolls (especially breaking the news to my parents). If I knew I would have the money afterwards to buy clothes/wigs/miscellaneous dolly items, then I wouldn't hesitate as long as I liked the sculpt.

I think it really depends on your circumstances. I think fullsets are good if you are really opposed to the idea of your doll sitting around naked for a couple of weeks, or if the fullset just fits the character you had in mind. Of course, if you saw a blank doll you just knew was perfect for your character, by all means go ahead. It completely depends on the person and their situation.

-Also another thing I'd like to add - even if you do get a fullset, it is just as customizable. In fact it isn't even a carbon copy of all the other fullsets like it. I have seen photos of dolls that are the same fullset as mine that look quite different, even though they are wearing the fullset outfit. For example, one had a faceup that's main colour appeared to be blue, whereas my girl's faceup is mostly pink. Every doll is unique, regardless of fullsets - the faceups are done by hand and, however much they may try, the dolls do vary from batch to batch.

13. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not? I'm actually a bit of both. My SDC Kurt is fullset and has his original face-up and eyes still, and when I bought Soom Glot I went for the fullset (minus face-up and blushing though). Other dolls I've been content to purchase either blank or with no extras whatsoever.

2. Why do you do it/why not? Did it just happen to "fit all the way"? Or do you think it's unoriginal? Please explain. I didn't have the option with my SDC Kurt, he came as a fullset regardless. I chose the outfit, eyes and wig part of Glot's fullset because I really liked them and I also knew they would fit my YoSD Yuh as well, so it would increase the outfits that both dolls would be able to wear. I always like to have something specific to fit my incoming dolls and fullsets are very handy in that the doll will always have eyes/wig and an outfit to wear straight out of the box. If I'm waiting on a blank, nude doll, I have to order clothes to go with them and inevitably the doll arrives before the clothes do :p Even if the doll never wears their fullset outfit again, it's still an asset to me because I can either sell it on, or pass the outfit onto another of my dolls it may suit better!

3. Think of it the other way 'round - would you consider a fullset even if you've never bought one before/would you get a basic (or even hybrid) even though you're the fullset enthusiast? I have hybrid dolls as well as fullset dolls. I don't think one is superior to the other, but fullsets might make it easier on someone starting out who perhaps doesn't know where to buy shoes/outfit/wigs/eyes from just yet or would prefer just to have everything arrive together from the same company to avoid having clothes that might not fit their doll well.

4. Another question. No matter what you personal preference is, what do you think of the general aspect - do you consider it easier, cheaper, safer ect. for someone to get their doll right starting with a fullset or just the basic? Would you advise someone to or against? Or does it depend on [insert reason]? It depends what you want out of the hobby to be honest. Some people have the dolls as display only, so fullset dolls might be more or less appropriate for this application. It always comes down to personal preference, so I don't think I would advise anyone one way or another unless I knew them very well.

14. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      Hand-picked by me :3

I want my dolls to be what I want them to be, and not because they are set in a extravagant themes and dreamy photo catalogs

I don't mind buying full-set dolls, though I must be really really sure before buying the doll so I won't regret in the end

I am thinking of fullets because they are so irresistably beautiful,
      though I am fond of buying dolls which I would choose for myself, from wigs and eyes to clothes to face-up
      because this makes me feel "me", its not that full set are unoriginal it is that I'm thinking what if the full-set doll
      would not come with the same clothes or change its face-up, then the doll will loses her character already

15. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I do love fullsets. I have yet to purchase one because by the time I'm ready they are sold out! I plan on getting one someday!

I haven't had the opportunity to get a fullset yet since they are always gone when I'm ready to put them on layaway. hehe. There have been 3 fullsets between Soom and Fairyland that have made me want to cry and have a fit. Sadly those opportunities passed me or were sold out long before I was even into the hobby.

I wouldn't consider myself a fullset enthusiast per say. I have three basic dolls so it could go either way depending on the current financial situation x3

Since I personally started out with basic dolls, got the clothes myself, got faceups done by fellow DOA members. I think that's the best way to go when you are just starting out. It gives you a good knowledge regarding where to get clothes, and who to go to for faceups. That said starting out with a basic doll then going to fullset I think is the best way. I wouldn't advise someone against getting a full set for their first doll I would just let them know of my experience and how much it taught me about BJD's by going basic first you know?

16. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?

I've bought fullsets and completely blank dolls. I prefer buying blank dolls (or dolls with minimum accessories).

The only doll I've gotten as an almost-fullset was my Glati (wig, face up, outfit). I ended up selling his extras and wiping the face up. So it was basically a waste of money. There have also been several dolls that tempted me with their extras, but when I see real life pictures I'm glad I didn't order them.

I'm always open to seeing what the company's ideas are! :) But 99% of the time those ideas don't coincide with mine. If they did I'd be happy to get a fullset.

It really depends on the person and the doll. I've known people who bought fullset Sooms and were miserable. And I've known people who bought "fullset" (doll with wig/eyes/faceup/clothes) Resinsouls and were thrilled. If somebody loves every single aspect of the fullset I say go for it. :)

17. 1. Are you the type who prefers to buy fullsets or not?
      I wouldn't call myself a fullset person, per se. I haven't even actually received my doll yet. But, I DID order HIM as the fullset because I loved his default faceup and I happened to very much want the pants and the shoes from the outfit. I figure I can either just keep the rest of the outfit and the wig around just in case or sell them. In the future, though, I could see myself saving money by NOT getting a fullset. I'm enjoying the aspect of buying my boy his own clothes and wigs. I even think I want to try my hand at MAKING clothes so I think I will most likely NOT be a fullset person always, unless it appeals to me. Also, faceups, though they horrify me (I don't want to make a mistake on these expensive dolls) I may try my hand at that in the future too. So, I guess we shall see.

I definitely don't think it's unoriginal. You really can't help if you love every aspect of how the doll was made, painted, and dressed. I love DZ Wing-2 just the way he is. Am I going to make changes? Yes, but I couldn't judge anyone who didn't.

Yes I would get a basic. I even contemplated today getting a dollkit because I would love to fully construct a doll, do the face, etc. all by myself. So, I guess I will not be stuck with fullsets forever. :)

If I was suggesting it to someone new and who was like me, I would suggest the fullset. Not because I want to squash anyone's artistic ability, but because it seems important to start this hobby out on the right foot. It could potentially be overwhelming to receive a completely nude doll with no faceup and no clothes. On the other hand, if they were wanting to go full hands on, I wouldn't hesitate to make them aware they didn't HAVE to get the fullset AND it would save them money. So, I guess it just depends on the person. But, I have to admit, a fullset makes for a good first choice if you have the money. Especially since anything you aren't happy with can easily be changed or sold. :)

18. - I love 'em. :aheartbea Even if the fullset has utterly nothing to do with the doll's character as I have it planned, I love options. It takes an awful lot for me to check "No" on a dropdown menu. If the fullset gear isn't part of the doll himself, I'm not worried-- at least 75% of the time, some other doll in the house will be able to use some/all of the fullset parts. Anything that can't be used immediately, gets tucked away for posterity and some future episode of Antiques Roadshow.

- When I choose a fullset from Volks, it's because there's no choice-- if I want to buy that sculpt new, it's only LE, so I get the set. Most of the time, I like at least some part of their fullsets, though, because they choose very cute gear.

When I choose fullsets from Soom or Iplehouse or DD-Anne, it's because I'm a huge fan of their painting & design & sewing, as well as their sculpture. In particular, I adore Soom's & Iplehouse's LE faceups so much that I consider them almost a separate work of art, along with the doll. (Blushing too!)

I did buy my Vega Last Song because I wanted a merman. If Soom made the ultimate gorgeous fantasy merman who's perfect for me already, why on earth would I want to change him? But, even if I don't keep the fullset's total end-concept (for example, Chalco's whole Lady Gaga outfit is a bit much for everyday), I consider myself lucky to own the set.

- Yes, I would advise others to get fullsets too. It depends on the sort of buyer you are, but I'd recommend it, for sure. Because, in Waiting Room threads, after I post a picture of my full-monty package deal, I constantly hear this refrain from fellow-buyers who didn't get the faceup/blushing/shoes/whatever: "Oh man, that looks awesome! Now I wish I had gotten the [faceup/blushing/shoes/whatever]!" If you have the means to get the fullset, & you're not really decided on its gear, but you're not violently opposed to any of it either-- then go for it. It's easier to get the options now & not-want them later, than it is to not-get them & have them be unavailable when you do want them. Often more economical.

- Also, anybody who thinks buying a fullset is "uncreative" or "unoriginal" is wildly, obviously deluded. All it takes is 1 look at DOA's Gallery to see the incredible things you can do with a fullset version of anything.

19. I really don't see the "debate" here, but..

My first doll I bought as a fullset. Since I was just getting into the hobby I didn't have anything, so it was nice to get my first doll and have him come with a wig, eyes, clothes, and faceup; everything I needed to have a completed doll, at a time when I didn't know much about where or what or how to get all that.

Since then I've bought him a new wig, new eyes, and he hardly ever wears the outfit he came with, but I'm still glad I did it that way, so that my first experience was easier on me.

20. 1. I haven't yet bought a fullset, so I guess I fall into the "not" category.

A large part of this is a money issue. I'm still in school, I have student loans to think about, insurance, bills, groceries, etc. I'm lucky enough to scrape together enough for a nude doll when I can. Another part of it is that I enjoy making a sculpt my own with faceup, blushing, customization, etc. Take a look at the latest SOOM MD, Nephelin. I loved the idea of her. Loved the feet, the dragon horns, and the face. But those wings were just awful - an anatomical abomination. Why would I pay for them when I could just get the parts I want/like? So of course, rather than buy the fullset, I joined a split. Someday there will be a doll which catches my fancy in its entirety. Until then, I'll probably continue to hybridize and buy blank dolls.

I guess I already answered this one. I would consider a fullset, but I would only buy it if I loved every feature. If I were a fullset enthusiast, I could see how it would be a pain to gather wigs, eyes, clothes for a blank doll, and worry about faceup/blushing. It's easier to get everything together.

I think it definitely depends on the person ordering the doll. Do they already have a character in mind for the doll? If so, maybe they'd be better off buying it blank and getting clothing/wig/eyes elsewhere that suit the character. If not, then a fullset is a good way to bring home a doll already accessorized, who might grow into a personality of its own someday.