1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gallery + Upping your personal photograpy ante?

Jun 25, 2010

1. I get downright dismayed reading some of the negative comments posted here. C'mon people...Gallery + was never intended to be a competition with some sort of reward attached...merely a showcase of inspiration, pure and simple. If you see it as a competition, and then want to make yourself feel better by convincing yourself and others that the cards are automatically stacked against you and that it isn't fair, then you're missing the whole point of Gallery +. Sure there are other gorgeous photos in the Gallery that are bound to get missed, but that's due to the sheer volume of gallery postings itself, not to any deliberate slight on the part of mods and virtues. And it's not a popularity contest either...the Gallery postings are simply about quality. They showcase both well known contributors and unknowns, both expensive dream dolls and inexpensive dolls too.

The creative quality in Gallery + is not just about who can take the most professional looking photos with the most expensive camera either. It's about beauty, uniqueness, carefully constructed settings, wonderful storytelling, clever humor, fabulous faceups and dramatic costuming...all the creativity that DoA encourages. You'll find examples of all of it in Gallery +. And I know this because I've actually looked at each and every thread in there. The stuff is truly amazing, thought provoking and inspiring.

It really kills me how many of the negative comments in this thread are by people who say, in essence, "I refuse to look at it because I don't like it." Say what??? You're welcome to your opinion obviously, but you're really missing out. Case in point: just this morning I saw that a handful of new posts were up in Gallery +, so of course I had to look at them. And guess what? I found one of the posts in particular to be so inspiring, I've decided to save up for a brand new doll to do my own unique interpretation on...a brand new character sprang to mind immediately! This is what Gallery + is really all about people...inspiration!

2. Actually I think it keeps things much clearer for the mods to run Gallery+ the way they do... When you know it's chosen just at random by whatever catches the judges' eyes & hearts, you know there are no rigid criteria to be met, no checklist to follow, no rules. This sets you free to just keep doing what you do. Either your pix get chosen, or they do not get chosen. I would never try to change my style to match what I think the judges want, just because I saw 5-6 threads of X doll-sculpt or X photography-style being chosen.

If The G+ were popularly-voted, we'd never hear the END about how unfair that is, and how elitist, and how price-based, and so on. Life is too short-- let the people who run the house decide what gets put up on the walls.

You're kidding, right? Wow, so many of those G+ threads are taken with a little point-and-shoot camera with clip-on desk lamps & a cloth backdrop that's taped to the wall at home. Perhaps your ASSUMPTION that there is material elitism afoot ("it's only the equipment, not the talent!"), and your assumption that it's all done professionally with expensive equipment, is testament to whatever strengths make that thread stand out in the first place (its composition, lighting, emotion).

Another thing we all keep losing sight of is the fact that this forum isn't a playgroup, so it's not responsible for catering to personal insecurities, ego-dents, & persecution-complexes. Whenever I post a thread that gets 0-3 comments (and it happens to everybody), it's not the community's fault, and it's not the moderators' faults, and nobody is obliged to come pour love on it-- it's my problem! That is, it's a problem if I choose to go sob into my pillow and get into a total K-hole about it. Which I don't. I get out the camera again and keep doing what I love to do.

I can't believe some of the self-defeatist thinking I'm hearing around here. The path to self-respect may have nothing do with one's Gallery-comment count-- but it's certainly not going to be reached via "I tried, I failed, I quit".

3. ;;;;; That's a little strong, Soul. I haven't seen anyone outright say anything other than being a little discouraged. Which isn't a crime, really. Nobody's out to get anyone by having such an attitude;;; People will be who they are, that's all.

Anyhow, as one of those not particularly drawn to G+, I really only see it as a collection of photos. Some are fantastic, some I disagree, some I have no feelings whatsoever. I do think there are better places to find photography of 'inspiring' levels, imho. :/ My choice to post my photos to my blog instead of galleries on DoA [and elsewhere, for that matter] has nothing specifically to do with the G+'s existence. I'm just not very apt to post to galleries in general, as I'm always dismayed at what little response is received. So it was my personal decision not to post to galleries. :V There's a lot of people who get overlooked with the highly populated gallery threads here, especially if of an 'unpopular sculpt' combined with a subject of not-so-very-epic proportions. It's understandable that some people feel this way, no?

Sorry, edited because I couldn't leave this alone. While I absolutely agree with your sentiment Jenny [on both accounts of material elitism and choice], I completely disagree with your execution of the latter. Yes, ultimately it is a person's choice whether or not they want to 'sob into their pillow', but why should it bother anyone else if they do? Our moderators act in very well thought out manners, with no intention to cause anyone discomfort. I am proud of them and am faiiiirly sure that most of the population of DoA knows their intentions. They won't change for tiny things like this. Besides, nobody is saying that the mods are obliged to 'pour love' on anything at all. Those with attitudes unlike yours are only voicing their opinions. There's no need to attack them personally for it.

4. When I was reading through the comments in this thread I noticed something which to me seemed a little surprising. A great many of the more negative comments about Gallery + included the following statements (these are direct quotes, each one pulled from different posts and posters within this thread.) It seems that these people just don't care to participate in the DoA galleries at all anyway, which I found very interesting. Perhaps these members just don't care for galleries period. Food for thought.

I chose to stop posting Gallery threads here a few years ago.

I don't spend a lot of time looking at the galleries, though. Any of them.

I still take pictures, I just don't put them in the gallery.

I've decided to stop posting in galleries.

I never really submit to the galleries anyway.

I don't post my photographs here and haven't done for years.

I almost pointedly ignore both galleries.

I don't participate in the Gallery section - I think there are better places to see photos

5. i LOVE the gallery and the gallery+. to me, both are inspirational and thought provoking. on gallery+ i hope photos will be added or somehow exchanged when earlier gallery shots are spotted by those who select. i always browse through hoping to see new pix instead of pages and pages of the same gorgeous shots. i just applaud doa for 'being' here for us abjd lovers. it is nice to see constructive comments on these topics.

6. ...uhm. Actually, that's from one of my posts, and the only thing I'm "negative" about is my own photographic abilities -- not the galleries or the existence of this one. I also can't play the piano, dance, sing, or do a lot of other things, but I don't view the recognition of those limits as being negative about anyone at all, whether they can do them or not. I work as an artist. Critique and self-critique are a part of my daily life; it's one of the ways my work improves. Deluding myself into thinking I could be a professional photographer would be ridiculous, counterproductive, and quite frankly, insulting to the people who have put the time in to hone their skills and talents in that field when 'surreality is a good photographer' can objectively -- not just subjectively, I have real objective suck factor here ;) -- can be shown to be false. Can it be learned? Of course! Can I learn it? Of course I can. Is there time or interest to do that? None of the former, only a little of the latter, but really... I don't see how that's relevant to anything since photography isn't an essential part of my existence or of the hobby that all must partake in lest we be forsaken by the resin gods and our dolls are repossessed by resin protective services. ;)

I believe in knowing my limits. That's one of them. There's not an ounce of shame in it for me -- no hand-wringing or deep lamentations. I am 100% suck at sports, too. While I'm more likely to some day try to expand my limits in the realm of photography, by the logic presented here and there in this thread, I should be challenging my cliff diving abilities as well just because I perceive it as a limit. Well, where does 'wanting to' come in? Sure, you can get into a convoluted argument about how thinking you're not good at something means you won't even try, but that isn't the universal truth of the matter for everyone.

In fact, that quoted statement is followed by: "Having a collection of assorted pretty shiny things in one place is, well, convenient. It's something of a gateway to getting used to looking at the galleries a bit more for me, as the volume of posts is not as overwhelming. That in itself is a pretty big thing." I simply don't have time to go through the larger galleries unless I'm looking for something specific. That's not negative feelings about... anything, but quite the reverse. That's not having a lot of time and being glad there are shiny things collected in one space where the little time I have can be spent browsing a smaller, and thus more approachable area.

7. Oh, thanks for clearing that up,surreality.;) I was just curious about the thought process behind your comment is all, and I'm just trying to get a better understanding about where people are coming from insofar as gallery participation and appreciation is concerned. I love the galleries and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around those who don't or those who don't wish to post photos in them. Your post offers me a glimpse into something I never would have thought of before. (Ahhhhh...that must be why they call this a "discussion thread".):)

8. There was no personal attack anywhere in my post, though. If you found one, I'm afraid it's purely projection.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with going home and sobbing into one's pillow-- it's a great pressure-valve, which lets you get on with your life after you've had a good cleansing conniption & gotten it out of your system. What I was hearing expressed, and what I was addressing, was a pervasive lack of interest with the "getting on with your life afterwards" part. That's my disappointment. I'm hearing the bizarre attitude that it's the community's (and/or the moderators') fault if sensitive people feel hurt by a lack of attention. Basically I am hearing too much Poor Me. I have no patience with those who place the responsibility for their own happiness in the hands of others; this is futile, and ultimately self-weakening.

9. I think it's kind of like the Teacher's A+ wall or mom's "stick it on the fridge" collection of my stuff when I was a kid. From the moment I saw it existed I couldn't help this instant resolution to eventually get something of mine posted in there. I compete artistically, I think, in a subconscious way, and I have this thing about excelling in a group, so when there's a spot for the "best" I can't help this ridiculous urge to achieve it. *nerd*

10. Annnnd that one's me. I can assure you, I like galleries just fine and am an active participant in some of DA's many BJD clubs, I just don't post to them HERE anymore. As I stated, this has never been a photo-centric site and I really don't think that's going to change because a few threads of what a small group of people regard as eye candy have been grouped into the one place.

Either way, it really makes no odds, the bottom line will always remain that DoA is not a democracy, so "negative" responses make no difference anyway.

11. Just an aside...

While I don't like the Gallery+ for its degree of favourtism to certain sculpts/companies, I do actually post things in the normal gallery, however it is darn nigh impossible to find anything, which is why I'd rather see that reorganized and tidied up, rather than some extra gallery that only shows dolls that repeat themselves and their theme. I keep hoping to find something original and 'unique' in there, but aside from PoeticSoul's Bellamorte showing up in there (which was exciting, to see a BBB mold amongst the Soom's, Volks' and Luts') I haven't see anything worth showing off, because it's already been seen.

12. There is NO favoritism being shown in the threads that have so far been chosen. The end.

13. Wow. O.o I wasn't expecting so much negativity from this thread... *cough* I, quite personally, absolutely love the Gallery+ subforum and I really don't detect favoritism going on there. That's just me, though. And speaking as someone who occasionally posts photos, I think it's a really nice place to go if you're interested in getting creative juices flowing. At college, I always found that the knowledge that I was potentially expected to display my work beside the best in the class always made me put more effort into what I was doing. I think that's just a natural byproduct of being able to readily view the 'cream of the crop'. Perhaps that's just my individual way of thinking, but I guess I believe that anything that makes you strive to be better at what you do can't be a bad thing.
      Just my two cents.

14. Well... I'm one of those people who loves the gallery+ even though I don't post pictures often anymore. It makes me want to do more with my camera again and see if I can do the beautiful things I've seen there. Besides, what's so wrong with showing the work of people who've really outdone themselves to make a great picture? I think they deserve the attention they get.

15. Respectfully, I rather doubt it is projection, but instead a vast difference in definition is likely the cause. To which, neither of us must bend.

I can understand what you hear and your consequential frustration. I admit, I only see it in a few posts. And perhaps that is the true case of some of those sensitive people who are hurt by a lack of attention. I agree with your stance of that sort of thing at least :/ I don't pretend to understand why people place their happiness in the hands of others either. But I'm curious as to how choosing not to post in galleries [or to avoid them, etcetc... many of the things mentioned in this thread] is linked to the blanketing idea that it is defeatist or could ever be considered giving up or not moving on with their lives. If someone chose never to pick up a camera or take photos of their dolls anymore, I could concede to you. If someone who really wanted to get into photography and share their stuff on DoA but gave up after a few silent gallery posts, I would also concede.

But I'm sure people have other reasons for not posting in galleries or frequenting them here at DoA. It cannot all be for the sole reason that everyone's having a hard time getting over themselves ;]

Yes, I am one of those people who do not frequent galleries or post in them. I hate sharing my characters and have little interest in the photos of others. What galleries I have of artwork, photos, etc.. I have, I've always kept pretty private my entire life. I am a private type of person. Coupled with a lack of interest in any threads I do post, if at all, I deemed it more worthwhile in my personal interest to keep things to my blog. That's why I refute your idea that somehow people who posted saying they don't like to post etc is saying 'poor me' [respectfully, again]. I don't blame the mods for anything. They do an excellent job here at DoA. I'm not saying 'ooooh I need attention, nobody likes me, poor me' either. I don't feel like my photos are sub-par or that I am in anyway subpar. I am not personally hurt. I do wonder why my posts don't get much attention, but myeh. As you say, life goes on. I still love photography, and take pictures of my dolls and post them. Just not on DoA.

Humbly, there should be room for people between the 'sensitive' and 'i love galleries' statuses.

16. Since the first of the quotes you pulled as an example of "negativism" towards the galleries is mine, I feel like I should clarify a few points...

I don't dislike Gallery+ or the main DoA galleries in general. They're a fine thing for people who want to share pictures of their dolls for attention, or comments, or kudos or whatever else their motivation might be. It doesn't bother me in the least if they post pictures by the thousand till the cows come home. More power to them if that's what they really want to do.

But I'm not one of those people. At least, I'm not any more...

I used to post my dolls fairly regularly in the Gallery when I was newer to the hobby, but after awhile the basic sameness of the images and lifelessness of their subjects honestly began to bore the crap out of me. I'm sure they were equally dull to other owners, too... My dolls are mostly dirt-common, run-of-the-mill Cerberus and Volks sculpts, after all. Everyone in the hobby has seen hundreds, if not thousands, of similar images to what I was posting, and mine were in no way "Special Snowflakes".

I'm honest enough to admit that my pictures were (and still are-) a waste of bandwidth. We see constant complaints about how busy and over-crowded the galleries are, and how low their "signal-to-noise" ratio seems to be, so I simply made what I consider to be the most rational choice given the circumstances. I decided not to add to the problem.

17. One can say there isn't all they want to. And it can be the utter truth. It will never change people who have the mindset that there is.

I did today take another browse through the G+ because I did before say there wasn't much in it that interested me personally but after saying it, figured I'd give it a fair shot again.
      I found 4 threads I liked! More then I found the first time thats for sure! Which I'm actually kinda happy to see!
      More so I'm also happy to say that, with lots of people saying(Or this is what I AM seeing anyways no stone throwing!) that the threads being moved are popular and ect I found one with... What I think were very few comments. Again, nice to see. AND does support the fact that it's not fave sculpts and users being moved. Which might be nice news to those who think otherwise. I dun know. Just saying it anyways!
      I also understand some more of the threads there now after reading that they may have been moved because of one picture in a shoot instead of the whole thing or something similar.

Do I expect to see any of my few threads or any threads I post at a later date to show up in there? Not really. Do I care either way? I'm not gonna say it wouldn't be neat but I'm not gonna squee and bounce about in circles if I find a thread of mine moved there either.

Bleh. There was more but. It sounded rambly and made little sense so I'll end this here XD

18. I do agree with this idea. It would be nice if the gallery was split into some sub-sections. Maybe by doll size etc like the prefix choices we already have there.

19. I know the gallery is overrun a bit and gallery + was to weed the great from the mediocre in what is a very fast-paced dolly spam section.... but... I dunno...

I don't like the segregation. That's what bookmarks are for, if there's a photoshoot that is particularly fascinating to me I put it in my "Doll Pics" bookmark folder.

Not everyone has the equipment or money for the "nice" photos or the "nice" dolls or for custom face-ups and clothes.

The gallery is a double edged sword, it is a reward for people who are able to drive to a photoshoot location, or buy back drops and stuff like that, but it's a little bit of a mockery of people who don't have the resources to do all of that.

It was mentioned above how there could division by TYPE of picture "couples" "tinies" "fantasy"..... but i think some pictures would just fall through the cracks because there are TONS of possible combos for themes.

I dont care either way since i dont really look at gallery +

20. I think G+ is a good idea. I see it as a “Hey, check this out” positive thing.
      The Gallery moves very quickly. G+ gives us another chance to notice some great pix we might have missed when they were first posted.