1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gallery + Upping your personal photograpy ante?

Jun 25, 2010

1. EXACTLY!!!! *dances*

2. I feel both intimidated and challenged by the Gallery + threads. Intimidated because everything's waaaay more high quality and original than anything I could come up with, challenged because it makes me at least want to try to improve my own photos. So yeah, I guess it does drive me to learn how to take better photos. :B

3. You missed the substance of it entirely PoeticSoul focusing only on what you believe the crux to be. I am also dismayed that people are only reading "butt hurtness" out of these "negative" (instead of constructive?) responses when in most cases it is just a point of view that isn't theirs. We don't all have to like the same thing and it doesn't hurt to keep a mind open to other ideas that are more inclusive. Besides that looking at pictures is not the only way to enjoy DOA. Take the General Chat forum for example!

Here is what my experience is (which was also suggested in my post) If you take a look at Gallery on monday, chances are you will see at least one thread still on the first page 3 days later. Sometimes an entire week goes by and it's still on the front page. Now there is a chance that thread will find it's way to Gallery +.

I am not personally missing anything but redundancy. I understand not everyone is that attentive to the gallery and that Gallery + presents a conveniant way to enjoy Galleries. That does not however change my view that in essence people miss out if they were just looking at Gallery +.

You intimate that people who don't post in the galleries probably don't because they feel they won't get the attention they want or that they actually have no basis for an opinion since they don't participate. But the galleries would be useless without an audience and these are that audience whether they have an opinion you agree with or not.

4. Sorry to single you out, but I really dislike this theory that someone who has a nice doll must have spent all the money in the world on them. There are plenty of doll owners out there who have amazing dolls who have painted them themselves, made their clothes, etc, or have had friends do these things for them. And someone pointed out earlier that there's a lot of amazing photos taken with point and shoots with basic backgrounds, or in people's backyards. It's all about working with what you've got. Some people are quick to assume that this is all the work of money rather than talent.

In regards to categories, there's already little labels you can put on your photoshoots, and you can filter the gallery in order to look at these things by "tiny" "couple" etc. I don't see why you need separate galleries for these.

Also for those who wonder why people give up posting in the gallery and think it's defeatist, I think it's more a matter of someone trying to post photos again and again and getting little to no response. After awhile, why continue? It's like trying to talk to someone and getting no response - sooner or later you're gonna give up.
      We can claim its "not about the comments" all we want, but if you don't want someone to recognise the beauty of your doll, why would you post photos?

As for gallery + itself, I'm indifferent to it. There are definitely some beautiful threads in there, but a lot of it isn't to my taste. And while this is no fault of the mods there will always be amazing shoots that will be overlooked, and you can't make everyone happy.
      I find it does aid in removing the threads which get bumped up to the top constantly in the gallery, so that you can see more things you may not have seen before.

5. Weird... because one of my threads that got moved to G+ was taken on the lawn in my back garden... ;3

As for having resources, correct me if I'm wrong but we're talking about dolls that we all already spend hundreds of dollars on... compared to buying a doll it isn't that expensive to get a nice face up (hell if you scour the face up threads you can get lucky and snag an awesome face up very cheap when someone first opens up shop) and you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to dress a doll nicely, you can get a decent enough outfit from dollmore ect for $50ish, or you could even make clothes and paint it yourself. It's really more about presentation than throwing cash at it anyway, I've taken some really rather nice photos of a friends resinsoul at meets that are better than some of the pictures of my soom boys I spent ages on, go figure.

ETA: As for the whole DSLR vs compacts argument, It's a moot point tbh. The camera isn't the one composing a shot or setting it up. A better camera might give more creative control and add more megapixels but really, it's the photographer who determines the outcome of a shoot.

6. This keeps being brought up and I don't mean to single you out, nocturneofsilence, but I just do not think this is a valid argument. I have a few Volks dolls with very well-done custom faceups, a DSLR, and the benefit of several photography and other art classes under my belt. I still have Gallery threads that are ignored or get very few comments. It's not a big deal. Maybe my photography was off that day. Maybe my Volks MSDs don't interest people. Maybe the gallery just moves too quickly.

There are a lot of reasons why some threads are ignored while some are popular. TBH, though, I think it has more to do with the doll sculpt and the subject matter of the gallery post than the skill of the photographer or the quality of the camera. I wouldn't take it personally if your (general "you" here!) Gallery threads don't get much attention.

I also can't see why people would take it personally if they're not included in Gallery +. I view it as just a collection of threads that caught the eyes of the forum leaders. It doesn't mean that you're not good enough if a thread of yours does not appear there - it just means that one very small group of people either didn't see your photographs or didn't find your photographs memorable. So what? Go on dA or Flickr and find specialized groups for the subject matter YOU like! You're always going to get a better reaction if you direct your work at a group that is interested in the same things as you. I like making Rose of Versailles cosplay for my dolls, so I joined a group on dA dedicated to the creator of RoV. Voila! I found a bunch of people interested in my silly little dolls.

7. The other thing that no one seems to have mentioned about the Gallery + is the fact that it's new. Of course there aren't very many threads in it yet! There are literally thousands of gallery threads, which we are spending our unpaid spare time combing through because...well, because we like pretty things and want to push them up to the front where they can be admired some more. It's a great way to introduce new people to the potential BJDs have for artistic experimentation. We're not saying DoA is the be all and end all of doll photography, just that these are cool things members have done with their dolls. Somebody wants to hand me candy on a platter? Great! Even if it's yak milk candy, it was a nice thought.

8. My G+ thread is taken in my dark basement with a single lamp and a black couch as a backdrop. The props were made from my printer paper and the doll's face-up was my own. You can see how out of scale the floor is. He's not even wearing shoes if I remember correctly.

Now I've heard of excuses before....

This basically. |D

9. Can I also add my two cents agine...um well I personaly don't think it matters where the photos are taken...it just some people have more time to enjoy what they do...if you don't like it just ignore it...I look at the g+ as an inspiration and I stive to one day get some photos into that gallery

10. I find it curious that you thought the last few words in my post should be included in your statement here...my point was not to be negative about the galleries in particular, just that gallery + is not going to change my level of inspiration, I have enough confidence in my photography skills and other forms of inspiration to keep creating without the addition of a new gallery.

And whether anyone is willing to admit it or not the new gallery IS slightly subjective. Why else would so many people be passionately debating in this thread which was intended to be a simple discussion? Yes, they may just be individuals sensitive about the amount of attention their doll photos receive, but they obviously disagree with some of the mods choices for gallery+.

I actually enjoy the galleries and I do intend to post in them eventually, I have just lost interest in posting for now and never got around to it...so yeah, "I never really submit to the galleries anyway" is just me expressing that conviction. Nothing more.

I'm pretty neutral on all this. Gotta say...It surprises me a little how dramatic people are becoming about this subject...

11. I think it's an excellent idea. What I enjoy most is that the thread that are put in may not have a lot of comments to begin with, they are just beautiful pictures. It's not a post count. I think it's a great way for threads that might get skipped over to be recognized for what they deserve =]

12. THIS.

I distinctly recall asking for this right from the start, only to have my slightly chatty post removed from the news thread without any say on the suggestion from the mods. :/

I've never been much into the photography aspect of the hobby up until I stated seeing the Gallery+ and all the awesome things people do with their own dolls. It's very much made me want to photograph my own dolls and learn more about that hobby in and of itself, too. It has also not in any way made me feel bad about my own dolls, (they are as I want them to be, and that is why I am happy with them!) or see the Gallery+ as some sort of popularity contest.

It is a place for the moderation of DoA to put the photo-shoots that they think are the best, to put high quality art up front for us to enjoy. And it does that.

The issue I see is that it is also a place for the mods to exercise their own opinions, and I've seen mostly the same kinds of dolls over and over again, and only a couple (literally two or three!) of sculpts that I really love myself outside of a epic photo-shoot. I appreciate the Gallery+ greatly, but it does feel a bit alienating for what is otherwise a free and fun part of our hobby.

I wonder if I'm the only one that feels like nearly every other Gallery+ thread is a Dolshe or Zoall? I understand that the mods are going to pick what personally speaks to them, and what includes their favorite dolls, but the system feels a bit broken when many kinds of dolls from random lines that no mod is interested in is bypassed for no other reason.

I know some sort of suggestion system would be difficult and time consuming to introduce, I think it's necessary to make the Gallery+ step up a level and really represent the all of the best work of the forum. Either that, or remove it completely.

Also, weren't box-openings and photo-stories supposed to also be included? Why haven't any?

13. That would really make it a popularity contest then, wouldn't it? ;3

Well it is new. And there are a lot of gallery/box opening/photostory threads. A lot.

14. No, not really. I ADORE the new gallery. I've always been astonished at some of the fantastic skill and creativity shown by members and I think it's wonderful to showcase some of them. The main Gallery is just so huge that it's nice to have some notable Threads highlighted so I won't miss them.

As for my photography... well, I don't suck, but I'm not terribly artistic with it, either. I mostly just like to document my dolls and their various outfits and their various outings... I do try to chose the better photos, but I'm not out there to make everything just outstanding. I would if I could, believe me, but I don't have the camera nor the time nor the skillz!

The Gallery+ is inspirational, of course! So maybe there's a bit of a challenge there to up the ante... but I don't feel the need to compete, if you know what I'm saying...

15. Depends entirely on how it's done. If it's by votes, then absolutely, and that defeats the entire point. If it were simply being able to PM a Mod or post in a particular thread about a certain shoot that affected you, then it's more personal, and more of what the mods are already doing on their own.

As for the new-ness, this is true. :sweat I'm just wondering why we still haven't see any posts moved of those types, yet. Box-openings in particular are one of my favorite things on DoA because of their sentimentality and usefulness, and the fact there really isn't anywhere else to put them up as they are unless you drop them in Flickr. I guess it's just reinforcing the point that I'm trying to make.

16. There is actually a few photostories in gallery + from what I've seen.

And I think the mods have enough things to do, fielding hundreds of pms from people suggesting threads (which I'm sure would be a lot of the time their own threads) which they would only pick a few from really seems like unecessary work to me. I think we just need to accept the fact that we're not going to always enjoy what is in the sub forum, and that things we think should be in there may get left out.

17. Oh I don't agree with that at all.

There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat, as the old saying goes -- and "good art" is ALWAYS subjective. Not only that but it changes over time, and between different cultures. It just really does. Flip through any art history book and you'll see what I mean, this isn't just my opinion.

I've seen some grainy, weird-angled, low light shots in photostores that just absolutely work for the purpose in which they are used. By most everyday measures of what is a good photograph, individually these would not be considered good pictures at ALL -- and yet they are perfectly stunning in context.

18. You know, I hesitate to answer here because I am not wearing my fire retardant suit, and I just know the flame throwers are chomping at the bit on this thread. I almost said, yeah what JennyNemesis said, but besides jumping on her bandwagon I'll throw mine into the wagon train too. Why not.
      First item on my agenda, Why is it that when you answer an opinion and do not agree with it, it's a personal attack? A personal attack is "You are stupid and ugly." not "I have a different opinion which is (insert opinion here)."

I actually read a reply here that outlined all the reasons why the poster was negatively inclined towards the Galleryplus delineation that ended with "but I don't use the Galleries anyway."
      Brilliant.
      I realize that it is silly to tell members here not to be childish when some here are indeed children, and those members can easily be forgiven their youth and inexperience. Everyone else needs to really get it through their heads the big news that life is indeed, unfair. The person who either through good fortune or luck or hard work has amazing dolls and great equipment or perhaps, dare I say it, talent, is going to get their photographs noticed and I say, good for them. While I might want to share mine with my friends and if I post I might PM them, I am thrilled to see the beautiful work of other people. It is inspiring and sometimes really moving. And I might add that expensive stuff does not always a good photograph make. I harken back all the time to Gina's Blythe books, the first one was shot quite simply. There's a good example of really wonderful innovative doll photography.

What I have gotten out of this is yeah, it is not a contest. But there should be kudos to those whose photography is clearly above and beyond the blurry full of fail stuff that yes, you have the perfect right to post, and yeah you should, because you won't get better if you don't keep doing it, but it's just like everything else in life, if you don't do a good job, you don't get the A plus. And it's not about fair. Nothing is fair. If you put something out there it is going to be judged. And that is right. Meaning how it should be.

There are those of us who really enjoy the gallery. I need to stop reading this thread as it's taking the joy out for me. Those who excel should not be made to feel guilty. Even if they bought a really cool camera and some nice lights. Why not? Why shouldn't they? If you've got a prop that costs maybe around a thousand bucks if you post your pictures on a forum it would be nice if they were at least in focus and your backdrop wasn't your messy dorm room.

19. Why on earth would a stunning "grainy, weird-angled, low light shot" not be representative of strong photographic skill???????????? I'm quite certain that 99% of strong photographs, regardless of how they're shot are because of technical proficiency and understanding of the art process on the part of the artist.

20. I could not agree more, and very well phrased!

Art, no matter what the medium, is always viewed subjectively.