1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gender within Certain Doll Companies

Feb 3, 2010

1. So... again, if there's a thread like this, let me know. :)

I was thinking about how for certain companies, I seem to like their boy OR their girl dolls more, not necessarily both. For example, I love Volks' boys, and I love Unoa girls. :D Something about how the Volks' boy's faces are rounder and their lips are puffier, and Unoa girls have some really pretty facial features and curvature. However! I've seen an L-Bi girl that was so gorgeous, so I know that swapping heads/bodies can be done. :3 So my questions are these:

When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

Would you consider putting a girl's head on a boy's body/the other way around or modding your doll if you liked a certain gender sculpt but wanted the other gender?

And the last one, as a sort of curiosity:

How do you feel about genderless dolls?

2. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

As I collect girls I only ever look at the girl sculpts, although I have seen some very pretty boy head sculpts out there that would be easy to stick on a girls body from the same company. I like FairyLand's A La Carte doll buying facility where you choose everything about the doll from the ground up - Head, Body, Bust size on female bodies, Face Up, Extra Heads, etc.

Would you consider putting a girl's head on a boy's body/the other way around or modding your doll if you liked a certain gender sculpt but wanted the other gender?

Of course, if I saw a boy's face that I thought would make a nice girl I would have no issues with doing a body swap.

I have not really seen any genderless dolls, apart from a few of the tinies. Even when you see child dolls with no primary or secondary sexual features, there is always something that says girl or boy about the sculpt. So to me the answer to this question would be a rather moot point.

As for tinies, some of the fantasy ones are definitely genderless, although most look like Super-Deformed versions of their larger counterparts...

If they did genderless heads that had a choice of male or female body I would be interested...

Phil.

3. I'll happily swap genders if I think the sculpt calls for it. I dont care if the doll is genderless either. Big deal. I don't worry too much about what gender somebody is in real life and have friends of both genders and in stages of being "in between" or even kind of neutral, so why care with respect to dolls.

It does seem like some companies lean a little bit towards the look of one gender or the other. For instance, Soom has a lot of masculine-looking female sculpts, and Volks tends to have more pretty "girly" boys in my opinion.

4. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I prefer female dolls, so I tend to only take notice of the girls. I've always written and drawn female characters rather than male ones, so it's nothing new for me to be attracted to a company's girls rather than boys.

Yes, definitely. There are a few boy heads that I'd love to have as girl dolls. I'd like to make an SDC Kurt girl to go with my SDC Kurt boy, because I love the sculpt but I don't want to experiment with my LE boy. If I could buy the LE head and hands seperate and an SDC girl body to play with I think it would make a cute unique doll!

I like genderless dolls, but even though they're on genderless bodies, I still think of them as male or female depending on face shape and character. I don't have any genderless characters so I don't know what a truly genderless character would be like.

5. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I don't have a favorite company, but I like to judge each head mold on it's own, boy or girl. Some companies do boys very well (Dollshe, for example), but I'm not crazy about the few girls they've made. Others make gorgeous girls, but unremarkable guys. A lot of companies make dolls that look androgynous and would work for me either way.

Of course, why not? I probably would not mod a body to be the opposite gender, but would just buy a different body for the doll instead.

I prefer gendered dolls, but don't care if they are tiny or meant to be children or anthros.

6. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

As it happens, most of my favorite companies focus primarily on one gender. :sweat K-Doll, Crobidoll, LittleMonica and SNG's sculpts are almost all male dolls (as with most bjds, they're androgynous enough to use as girls, but the site/creator usually depicts them as male in the promos). Glorydoll's sculpts are entirely androgynous - each head sculpt comes as a boy or a girl. Supia only does female dolls.

So... I'll give an opinion on girls vs. boys sculpts of Soom, Luts, and Volks instead. I think I prefer Soom males over Soom females, Luts males over Luts females, and Volks is 50/50, on average I like Volks males about the same as Volks females.

You can see my bias clearly; I'm mostly interested in male dolls.

Body-switching: yes. Modding: no way, too nerve-wracking and even in successful instances the results always look a bit odd to me.

I don't have any strong conceptions of characters for my doll or my future dolls; I like imagining bits of personality or storyline now and then but it's subject to change at any moment. So I'm thinking someday I might have a doll with an androgynous enough face and body to wear both girls' and boys' clothes, and depending on how I feel like dressing it, it will be a boy one day and a girl the next. My current doll's body is too masculine for this.

Or did OP mean sculpts that can be both genders - for example, the companies that produce one sculpt with boy and girl option (i.e. Glorydoll, any of the small artisans that produce heads only...), or the companies that produce a doll with a genderless body (i.e. Souldoll Celestyn, Volks angels, some tinies)? I must say my favorite doll heads are all pretty/feminine boy types, leaning toward completely androgynous. I do like certain sculpts that are very clearly masculine or feminine too - for example, the Supia girls, or the Iplehouse Akando, but overall I prefer an androgynous look.

7. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I look at both; i have no favoritism of gender when it comes to dolls xD
      A pretty doll with a beautiful mold, is a pretty doll afterall. I don't have a favorite company either..XD
      I guess It usually depends on the doll itself rather than the companies or the gender when I shop, all dolls are pretty much equal when it comes to gender. c:
      I personally find it odd when people do that, i just think dolls fit better as their original gender the companies attended them to be. It doesn't bother me to see people do that though, but i'd never do it myself. When I grasp a doll like that, they always seem to give me an off-centered "vibe" and i just feel no connection with them. I probably wouldn't be able to bond with my dolls if i'd done that to them, I suppose it's just my general taste in dolls xD
      Genderless dolls don't bother me, but i don't think i'd be able to have one. I'd end up giving it a gender either ways unless it was a special genderless race that was not human. I tend to respect genderless dolls for being what they are xD

I suppose overall, my view in the doll world is whether I can make the character from a certain mold, other than that i don't think there is anything in particular that really draws me to look at a certain gender.

8. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

With any company I like the boy molds more, because girls tend to be too cute/soft. I like strong, bitchy girls, chicks that can handle themselves and most female dolls I've seen look like all they can do is sit pretty and drink tea.

All the time. I'm still thinking about getting a Reisner for a female character I have and a Michele for another.

I'm neutral about them. Don't hate 'em, don't like 'em. It's all about the face. If that doesn't do it for me, I won't buy it. The fact that a doll is genderless, however is fine with me.

9. It's no small secret that I believe that every single Volks girl is actually a man with boobs. Olivia Morgan's name should have been Oliver. They're my fave company, and all of their sculpts that I like I much, much prefer as a male.

I have no problem switching genders as needed for sculpts and have owned both types of switch. I am very picky about the bodies used. Male heads on female bodies often look really silly and awkward. My Maki Tsuyoshi is on the SD16 body because the neck and shoulders are comparable to the boy one Maki originally came on.

As for genderless dolls, I do not like genderless bodies and will do my best to not have one. It bothered me a lot that my Yotenshi boy did not have a penis and was one of the factors that helped lead me to selling him.

10. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

I prefer boy sculpts for much the same reason as Silk. I tend to look at boy sculpts for all of my characters both male and female. There are a few more tougher looking girls to choose from these days so I did find one to work for me but generally they don't. That is not to say that I don't like looking at the pretty girls but I just don't happen to need one.

I have done that. My doll Maeve is a K-Doll Kael head on a Dollfie Dream body. I considered replacing her head with a different boy sculpt but that is not going to work out after all. I have a Volks School C that can go either way but that I see more oftenly as a girl but my C is a SD13 boy.

Genderless dolls like the Volks Tenshi don't pull me one way or the other though I've never gravitated towards any of the head sculpts. If I did really like one, the genderless body would not keep me from buying it but it would not be something I'd buy out of need for my collection.

I have one doll that is "neutered" (most HyperManiac boys do not have their parts sculpted on) and all that means to me is that he can fit into pants that would otherwise be way too tight. I also have one hermaphrodite doll, or I would if I ever got around to doing the mods to complete the project. The doll is always clothed so my saying the character is both genders is good enough for everyone I've met. Nobody asks me to "prove it" or anything. I'm just lazy I guess.

11. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I prefer boy molds from pretty much every company to be honest. I just can't seem to get into girl dolls. I like a variety of companies but am really drawn to companies with boy molds that I find attractive. Sometimes I will see a girl mold and think "wow she is really pretty" but I never really want to own those dolls. I've tried and girl dolls just don't stick around very long, no matter how attractive I might find them (my dz tiny is the only exception).

I have done this before. I wanted a certain character in doll form and wound up buying a boys head and putting it on a female body. I liked the companies girl bodies (something pretty rare for me) but not their girl head sculpts. In the end I just couldn't bond with the doll because she was a girl doll. I have seriously considered buying a Zaoll girl and modding her into a boy for a particular character. I love the look of the Zaoll Muse modded to boy.

I am not a fan of genderless dolls. I don't know why but I want to know my boys are boys. If I happened to find one that I just really loved I would buy it anyway, but I don't prefer them.

12. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      The male ones. A lot of the female ones are too wide-eyed and cutesy for my tastes, especially the smaller dolls. Companies that make more adult-looking dolls often have nice female dolls, though.

I don't think I'd mod a doll, but I'd certainly be willing to switch bodies.

I like them! I'd love to see more larger genderless dolls like the Volks Tenshi. I have a genderless character I'd like to make into a doll one day.

13. These are some excellent questions, this is a nice thread!

When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

Hmm. I almost always prefer the girls, because I am very picky when it comes to male dolls. I don't really like very slim, feminine, or young looking boys. I prefer them to be more muscular, older, and have strong masculine features. Iplehouse EID men are a perfect example. The EID Luo is basically my ideal for a male doll.

I'm generally I lot more flexible when it comes to girls. My favorite type of body is a thicker, more voluptuous body (again, EID is the best example here, with their EID Woman bodies) but I also see beauty in much more slender and slight bodies. And I like both mature faces and young faces. So it's much more common for me to like a girl from any given company than a guy because I am much more picky about the guys.

Yes! Especially for those really feminine boys out there that I think would make much better girls, like Luts El and Breakaway and DoD Ducan. I think since there's such girly male sculpts it's a lot easier to pull off girl-to-boy than boy-to-girl.

I think they're kind of neat. Being "genderless" makes them total blank slates for you to customize however you wish, and you could even make them a boy one day and a girl the next. The versatility is kind of cool. And there's always the added awesome factor that when people ask you if your doll is a male or a female you can say "neither". :lol:

14. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I prefer the boys, always. I'm not much for girls because I don't really do girly, frilly, layers-of-petticoat-and-lace dolls. The girl dolls I do find myself liking tend to be the ones that are skewed a little more towards androgynous or masculine than overly feminine, so there aren't many I actually care for. I'm not the girliest girl who ever lived, so that 's probably a huge part of why the fussy lace-silk draped girls just don't appeal.

Absolutely. In fact, one of my future dolls is going to be a female head on a male body. There's no reason to not make a doll whatever you want it to be.

Uh...can't say I really care one way or the other. The important parrt for me is the face. The fact that my Obitsu boy doesn't have a penis is slightly annoying, but only because his character is half-incubus. For other dolls...it just doesn't matter to me. In fact, I have one who I'm actually going to take sandpaper to to *make* genderless. It is a fallen angel, so it has never actually had a physical sex although the chest looks male. (Which would be the reason for referring to it as an "it" rather than any gendered pronoun.)

15. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not? I prefer girl dolls on the whole, so even though I might love certain boy molds, I'm just not going to buy them... I have to limit myself somehow, and gender is a pretty easy place to start. Maybe someday there'll be a boy doll I *have* to have, but I can't imagine that, really.

Sure! I made a Volks F-28 into a girl once, and I know I've sanded off a few tinies' boy bits in my day ^^;; oops...

I don't mind it a bit or even notice it on the tiny dolls, but it's a little disconcerting in SD or SD13 size... you get accustomed to seeing SOMETHING there... and then to be confronted with a blank space it's kind of like... whoa, what happened?! D-: lol It's not any kind of deciding factor, though! If I liked everything else about the doll/body that it was neuter would not deter me in the least.

Raven

16. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

In general, I tend to like boy molds more. I have no idea why. I think it's because I tend to draw boys more and thusly have more ideads for them.

I have done that before! Although it was a B&G mold so it doesn't really matter. XD But yeah, Zero's head originally sat on a girls body.

Fine~ :D Aha, having tinies, I love genderless. it means it comes, and I can decide what gender it wants to be.

17. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?

Boys. Absolutely. No contest.

But... that pretty much holds true across the board, no matter which company's sculpts I'm looking at. I can count on two hands (with a few fingers left over-) the number of female head-sculpts that I really like. Most are just too cutesy, too young, too "anime" or too vacant-looking for my tastes.

Not only *would* I "gender-switch" heads, but I already have. :lol: (I have an Elf Yder girl, a Type 2 Sleeping Yder girl, a Nanuri '07 mod girl and a Nanuri '08 girl.) I've also considered making a Volks Cristal boy more than once.

I don't mind them at all. Two of my dolls (on regular Delf bodies-) are character avatars for a pair of genderless air elementals. The only real difference between Galen and Ptolemaeus and the rest of my crew are the pronouns I chose when I'm discussing them.

Sculpt-wise, I also have two Soom 1/6-scale dolls (Bygg, who's here and Afi, who's on order-) with genderless bodies. I just refer to them by the character's gender (Male in both cases-) and don't worry over their lack of certain bits. If the over-all look says "boy" or "girl", I'm not too fussed over the specifics. :lol:

18. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      erm.... im usually more attracted by bying boys but there are some girls i love. but i'd say boys ^^

yes! for a long time i've wanted a lishe boy!
      but weirdly, i wouldnt put a boy head on a girl body Ôo boy dolls are very feminin YES, but i always find a little something that makes me think ''yah, that is a boy >D'' usually its the nose. since those dolls are very girly looking, i expect the girls to have VERY feminin face. so something that would make a pretty girl in real life may be for me a better boy doll :)

i dont mind. i wanted one.
      y'see, i prefer zaoll as boys, but i didnt know what i could've done with it. then i thought about a caracter that might work but its was way too feminin and i'd feel weird crossdressing a boy so i thought : GENDERLESS >D

19. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I seem to gravitate towards male dolls more than female, and I've even had one or two sculpts in the past that are 'meant' to be female, and I've had as male. I think it just reflects my gravitation towards males in real life - I've always had far more male friends than female, and if someone told me I had the ability to make myself *biologically* one gender or the other, I'd choose male.

I've had a couple of Lishe boys in the past, so it's not a new concept to me. I think so many of the heads can be used for either gender anyway. It's all about how you paint the face, for the most part. Not to mention so many of our ideas about gender are from social cues (hence why non-BJD people for the most part see 'doll in a skirt' and think girl) that it's easy to change a 'girl' sculpt to a 'boy'.

I like them, and have the same attitude towards them as I do a gendered doll (in short, I prefer dolls that have character rather than just pretty resin). My best friend/girl thing :D has just bought me a genderless Lahoo (who is 'biologically' male) for my birthday (who is getting a faceup at present, before winging his way here) and I'm having a lot of fun coming up with character that relates to his genderless body (but gendered brain). It's slowly becoming a key facet of his personality, and since he has a twin that has a penis, the contrast between their emerging characters is proving to be really intriguing to me.

20. When looking at your favorite company's molds, do you prefer the boy or the girl molds more? Why or why not?
      I find myself mostly drawn to boy dolls, regardless of the company. This is mostly because I have more boy characters than girls, but that's not to say I don't fall for girl molds.

I'd definitely switch heads if I liked a certain mold for a boy/girl and said mold wasn't on the gender of body I'd want. I would feel uncomfortable modding a body to suit the gender, though. I feel that I can always find a body to suit my needs, but that's just me.

I say, w00t! Genderless dolls just open up all sorts of doors for less feminine girls or girly boys. I'm especially behind this for child dolls.