1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a companion doll?

Dec 14, 2020

1. I've mostly come up with relationships between my dolls' characters after I have them home. A few have been chosen as a companion for a doll I already had. Once I had my first Real Puki (an Aki) she looked like such a trouble maker, she needed another Real Puki to keep her in line. And just to keep her company, too.

And then Firenze wanted a specific doll to be his boyfriend, though I'd initially thought he was a straight character...

#21 Leo Pheonix, Dec 16, 2020
      Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    2. yeah... I totally did that....
      just came back to the hobby this year. and ordered a new doll in october - and a friend from the same company :)
      I liked both sculpts a lot and I want my first doll to have a friend. years ago, when I first got into the hobby, I ordered one SD boy after saving up for a year. and I liked him (though the size was not for me) but I had no idea what to do with him, all alone like that. and getting a friend was out of the question, I had no money for another one.
      this time though I got two at the same time! (and a smaller size as well, SD is definitely too big for me)

3. Yip. Some of my dolls seem fine on their own, but others don't. You can't have a Meigi without a Mo. :XD:

I find it especially bad when you have a "cheap" doll that insists on having an expensive beau.

4. I'm trying to keep my collection small, and I thought I'd only have two dolls (haha). But recently I bought a head (she'll need a body) and I'm like- "Does she also need her very own friend?" No, absolutely not. But knowing the all dumb that is me, my future self is apt to buy her an unintended friend. :doh

5. For the most part, I just buy dolls I like, and see how they work together once they're here, however, there was one instance where this happened to me. I got my Peakswoods Mona and at the time, I thought she'd be my only SD, but then a few months later, I saw the release announcement for Guudoll Nydia and suddenly I was creating a whole setting for them to have fun together in. Needless to say I now have multiple SD scale dolls and most of them have been worked into that setting :XD:

6. @Bristol You really can't have a Megi without a Mo! It's terrible! I keep eyeing different Mos because I love that sculpt but can't hurt my wallet...
      --
      I had always planned to buy dolls to shell partnered characters (my first two boys are a couple) with the idea of pairing them off in resin form...but I also bought a few dolls alone, particularly girl dolls, and I hated how lonely they looked without friends...and ended up with a bunch of unplanned but now partnered girls! My girl posse is twice the size of my (small, planned) guy posse!

7. My second doll was bought that way :XD: My first, Ichabod (DoC Si), developed his own story and lo and behold, he had an adoptive brother James, who started as a Kid Delf Cherry but is now a Kid Delf Yuz. This proved to be a common trend in my collection for any dolls I picked up that didn't have characters already ready for them :sweat

8. Funny thing, I left the hobby 7 years ago because I was unable to find the 'right' companion for one of my girls. 50cm bjds weren't as usual as they are now besides the limited Idealian51, so I got really frustrated. I even remember getting in touch with Iplehouse asking if they were by any chance considering releasing a 50cm male line and receiving an answer saying that was not in their plans. Then I browsed their website this year and here I am, back to the hobby with the right companion for my girl!

9. When I got into the hobby, all I knew was that I wanted a big boy and I wanted it cheap (I mean, relatively, because it's a BJD anyway hehe). Anyway, while waiting, I figured I should have enough money to order a smaller doll from the same company. I got my big guy his younger brother. Soon I discovered sewing dresses is a lot more fun and his brother was a crossdressing character. Then I reshelled him into another big guy. But, I then got him a daughter (a tiny) and I decided it's high time to try a big girl.

As of now I am mostly into just girls. I have 6 ladies (all sd sized) and I try to match them so that each one of them has a companion. I have two pairs of twins (VS nanas and Zaol luvs) and two girls that come from the same company (two Supias). I love the idea of companion dolls to the point I don't mind owning two of the same sculpt and naming them similarily :D

10. When I got back in I was just buying dolls I had loved but missed out on. But then I managed to peice together a puki. It was SUPPOSED to be a companion to a bigger doll. But it just didn't want to work with the original idea I had for it. So I based it off one of my D&D characters. And then they needed someone to travel with. So I got another puki when I saw one for less then $200. Then they need more friends to make a proper party(though I had to switch to off topic obitsu11. I cant afford the current 2nd hand prices for pukis). I currently have the fighter, cleric, caster(can't decided which class), and an inn keeper. Plus a floating body to make another member of the party eventually!
      All from a cheap one off puki to shell an anime character. Which I never ended up doing.

11. I found a pukifee faceplate second hand that looked like a mix between my minifees and so oops now they have a son :XD: Then I noticed a littlefee looked to be a good sister and now oops I have a little dolly version of the typical American family :whee: All they need is the white picket fence haha

12. On top of this, I made ONE member of a sort of magical paramilitary organization, and she's now got....one friend, another two (or more) body snatchers that will be friends, one on order, and one infiltrate to her group that romances her best friend. On top of this, I swore I was only making one member of her gf's exceptionally large family, and they... came in droves.

13. It was totally not my intention when I got my first doll but I loved her so much that I decided I needed one in each color and thus she ended up with two sisters. It has culminated in lots of cute sister posing in their room for me to enjoy regularly and some fun photoshoots on vacation. Also, painful trips to Tenshi no Sato for maintenance since 2 weigh more than 1...but overall good things!

14. I'm actively looking for a second doll. I don't quite attach the relationship to it but I do take into account how they could look next to each other.

15. Oh, yes. After the second, I needed a spouse, then sibs, then babies, friends and coworkers. Then the addditions needed more family and friends. They are so addictive!

16. Me: I will start by buying one single doll
      Also me: I have pre-ordered one girl doll and one boy doll, and they are siblings

17. Oh, for sure! That's what started me on this slippery slope. :lol: Way back in 2009, I bought my first doll, Zane. I was going to have ONE. Only one. But then he "informed" me that he had an older brother, and about 2 days later I found Quinn on the market of another forum and fell in love!
      Got Quinn home, and suddenly he's got a band, and I need his bandmates. Then his other friends. I used to RP and all of them were characters in this RP.
      That RP has been over for years now, and the huge group I'd ended up with has shrunk down, but Quinn, Zane, and the core of the band are still here.

Now, I have this new group of dolls starting up, which again started with the idea of one. Just the very main character, Madelaine. But as the story has grown in my head, it's turning out that I need her group of friends, her old childhood friend/(will be) boyfriend, said boyfriend's best friend.... and here we go. :doh These dolls... SO demanding!

18. Adding: Lukas's body has arrived! Now he just needs a wig and more clothing.

19. This is a thing. I have Faith. I thought she would be fine on her own but she's pretty lonely without Lyulf to harass...

(Sigh) she's going to have to wait until next year though. I can't afford Lyulf's sculpt unless I get an unexpected windfall this year. With the way my year is going so far, that's not likely...

20. Totally. XD I flashed on two girls in the beginning (Maskcat Yaël and Frances) I finally bit the bullet on Yaël. But she would need her two beloved little brother right? Here comes an IOS boy found on Mandarake, though he was not quite as expected. I wanted a somewhat moody little brother, he came accross as VERY moody, but oh well. Since I have both of them and they definitely need a mediator, why not get their elder sister? And here comes the Astrid.

Then I bit the bullet for Maskcat Frances and even before getting her, I knew she definitely needs her husband, so he is in the plans too.

From one sculpt-two sculpts that I loved, to a planned family of five. How quick does doll families grow! Thankfully, I don't have any other plans for now.^^ Well, it's not like if I would have anymore space after getting the fifth. XD