1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus?

Jun 5, 2017

1. Ive also been in a hiatus, I got my first doll a few years back but didn't have any funds at all to customize her. Things are a bit better now and im really excited to jump back into the hobby! I really enjoy it

2. How long was it and how did you get back into the hobby?
      I took a 10 year hiatus and only got back into the hobby in August last year. I kind of fell off towards the end of Uni and when I graduated and had to move countries and start work, I stopped almost completely. I attended a grand total of two doll meets in that time and even bought a MNF Yder head off DOA when I found out Fairyland made one, but it had been mostly no participation until a third doll meet I attended last August. I don't even know what it was that reignited the fire inside me, but I've been going strong ever since! :D

How did you react to your dolls after such a long break?
      I actually still have a number of my old crew that I want to rehome, but in these trying times, I might wait a little longer to put them up for sale. I've kept my Dream of Doll Hoo, Dollshe Bermann, CP Yder, MNF Yder (who now has his own body!) and Iplehouse Yur. These ones I'll never sell because Hoo was my first, Bermann is my grail and Yders are my favourite CP sculpts. The one doll that really surprised me was my Iplehouse Yur. I originally had every intention to sell her, but she managed to worm her way back into my heart and after I gave her a complete overhaul, I don't think I could let her go now!

How did you get yourself back on track with new releases, companies, faceup artists, goals, wishlists, etc.?
      I did this by getting reacquainted with DOA. It mostly has not changed all these years which made finding information very easy for anyone dedicated enough. I also made a BJD-only instagram account and have followed other owners and made friends through that. I started organising small faceup or restringing parties at my place with old friends who are still in the hobby and have also gone for crafting sessions with new ones! I've also delved into wig making and eye making, all of which I never would have expected to do 10 years ago :XD:

It's been a wonderful journey catching up on the last 10 years worth of the BJD world as well. There was a period of time when I did not know what people meant when they had 'pro-artist, anti-recast' on their instagram accounts, so learning about recasts was very eye-opening. I immersed myself in learning about all the new companies that have emerged and even individual artists who are creating dolls for sale. Finding out that owners like Helene had moved on to creating her own BJDs was amazing and being able to follow these artists on their journeys has been tremendous and very inspiring. :love This hobby is constantly evolving and that is what I love so much about it.

Were you still attached to your dolls after your hiatus, or did you reset your collection?
      I was not happy with the faceups or looks of any of my dolls after coming back. Doll trends had changed and along with it, my own tastes. I am now more drawn towards the more realistic looking faceups and have changed my dolls accordingly. I still try to retain the essence of each of their characters, with the exception of my IH Yur who got a complete overhaul.

Since coming back, I've gotten myself a number of new dolls to add to my crew. My Dearmine petdoll and 5th Motif Venitu have already arrived to me and I have a number of dolls that I'm waiting on from various companies to add to my current collection. Fingers crossed they arrive soon!

Any tips for people trying to get back into the hobby?
      Don't be afraid to reach out and make friends! That has been instrumental in my getting back into BJDs. Instagram was most helpful for me in that regard as I've had very nice long conversations about the hobby with so many different people. Seeing other owners out there taking photos inspires me to take my own as well and I actually love this hobby a lot more now than I did 10 years ago :dance

#22 kagami, May 6, 2020
      Last edited: May 6, 2020
    3. I can't believe I started this thread in 2017; and am once again emerging from hiatus! Reading these replies over is so helpful; I'm definitely going to start a BJD-only instagram as well as it seems many artists and makers are now using that platform. Flickr used to be my go-to, but I feel like it's changed somewhat from before (less activity for sure.)

The last time I left the hobby, I ended up selling all my dolls, which were mostly 1/3 scale. I regret it somewhat, as I had beautiful rare sculpts that I probably will never be able to get my hands on again. But then again, I must admit the 1/3 scale wasn't the right choice for me. MSDs or even 30cm dolls might be a better fit. I also learned that I won't be the type to fully customize my dolls; I'm gonna stick to fullsets or artists that also offer tailor-made outfits at purchase. So at least I learned a lot from my past collections and know what I want for the future. I'm currently researching sculpts and having so much fun :3nodding:

Is anyone else snooping through DoA after a hiatus?

4. Oh no, that's really sad. But at least those sales brought you closer to dolls that fit your style better.

I've also been away for a long time. I never really packed all my dolls away. One of them has been in my living room all this time, and I picked him up many times and there have been times when I looked up my other dolls and they would sit beside me watching tv or something. XD

For me the part I really actively quit is the online part of it all, for about 10 years. And that's also the part where I feel a bit alienated, even 'old' now. XD
      I'm no great fan of social media and have no clue about what new dolls have come out these last years and what changed and what's still the same.
      And the Dutch forums I was on don't seem to have survived these last years. XD

Also I really remember why I quit the internet part, there where all these groups of people that didn't think other people or their dolls or photo's where good enough and I just hate drama.
      It wasn't even aimed at me (that I'm aware off at least) but it makes you careful and paranoid.

That's I think a big part of why I got tired of the online part. And made the doll hobby more and offline hobby just for me. :P

And now I'm back. Even if lurking and reading still feels better then posting, I want to give it a real go.

#24 -Anvanya-, Dec 21, 2020
      Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    5. I am back active in the online community after 7 years away! :) It was mostly the online community that I was no longer a part of as I still had my dolls.

My tastes have definitely changed and I am in the process of selling some dolls that just don't fit anymore or who I am uninspired by. My tastes went from highly stylized sculpts to realistic sculpts. I am now waiting on a Dollshe Amanda and an Iplehouse Mari :cheer

I am very happy to be more active in the community again. I do not have people in my real life to share my doll interest so it is very nice to be able to talk about dolls with others again :hug:

6. Gosh, how long was my hiatus? Years and years...to the point I can't exactly remember how many. I would describe it less as a lost of interest, and more of a change of priorities/focus as life went on. I got into dolls at the very end of 2005, when I was only 15 or 16, and as I aged, life naturally progressed and forced me to focus on other things. Once I established myself in the adult world, I did start pursuing an additional "hobby," fulfilled travel dreams, etc.

But I am finally ready to re-establish myself in the doll world again! During the hiatus my love for my boys never waned. They were always kept displayed wherever I was and in a safe spot. I knew I'd be active again eventually, it was just a matter of when.

7. I've been on long hiatus... about 7 years maybe? I can't even remember; this was because I moved and left my dolls behind.
      Honestly I though seriously about selling my collection, and basically re-entered in DoA to start planning my selling but... things changed, I started remembering good times and I'm in the hobby again since few months ago.
      Now I've got 3 new girls, and one in the way and planning to bring back my girls that are currently at my parent's.

8. I had a very long hiatus due to the chaos of college and the my first job. Being away from my dolls for periods of time had my interest wane and even when I got back home I didn't have as much of an interest in then as I used to.

However, as I decided to sell a couple of my dolls I rediscovered my interest in then as I started looking into the specific sculpts and how much they were going for and such.

I still went through with selling a number of them as, in the time I had been away from the hobby my taste in dolls has changed quite a bit.

You will have hiatuses, some short, some long, especially as your life evolves.
      That's okay. Sometimes other things just take priority and you should never force yourself to stay in a hobby.

Despite my newfound love for BJD's I've now been pretty inactive for almost 2 months as my fiancee and I moved in together and it has been an experience what with covid measures, from going to look at places to firniture shopping. Doesn't mean I don't get excited again now that I have time for then again.

I wouldn't force yourself. Take some time to reacquaint yourself with your dolls and see where it leads you. Have you truly lost interest? Have you changed taste? It's al possible and nothing to be afraid or ashamed off. You've grown in your time away, let your hobby grow with you.

9. Is anyone else snooping through DoA after a hiatus?
      Yes 2020 brought me out of a 3 year hiatus!

How did you get back into the hobby?
      If I recall correctly, I saw some posts from a BJD Facebook group I joined way back and also found out about April Story being under new management. Right before I left the hobby I was pretty sure I would not be able to get AS Diana due to all the issues with that company. The fact that there was a better chance of getting her now really caught my interest. I originally made an account here on DoA to see peoples opinions on the "new" April Story and to check the second hand market. I found that posting is pretty fun so I'm still here haha.
      I also thought that I should try to do some things for myself this year. I put all my dolls on display for the first time and decided to work on getting them finished. All of them are now fully clothed and I can enjoy looking at them so much more.

How did you get yourself back on track with new releases, companies, faceup artists, goals, wishlists, etc.?
      Mostly shopping this year! New doll, head, clothes, wigs, and accessories. I am working on finishing my current dolls and am trying to focus my purchases to meet that goal. Finding a wig I like is turning out to be quite a challenge.

How did you react to your dolls after such a long break? Were you still attached to your dolls after your hiatus, or did you reset your collection?
      I was still pretty attached to all my dolls. The only one I'm maybe not so attached to was because I couldn't really remember my motivations for buying him and he never had real clothes LOL (I like him better now that he has pants). But otherwise, I thought it was pretty easy for me to think I still liked all of my dolls.

Recall the original reasons you wanted a doll/sculpt and see if you still like it for those reasons or if you have new reasons.
      I personally also like following a few BJD accounts that have interesting character stories.

10. I've definitely been snooping around DoA after my 7 year long hiatus haha. I became interested in BJDs in maybe 2007-2008ish and then got my first two dolls in 2013. I got too busy and stopped paying attention to them probably only a year or less later. I started looking at all the new sculpts and companies just this past December since my roommate was getting interested in BJDs for the first time. It definitely made it easier to get back into the hobby through talking about it with her and sharing companies, sculpts, and other info. I never actively thought about returning but here I am. :) My love for customizing, sewing, and photography makes it hard not to get back into BJDs now that I have the time for them.

My first BJDs are back at my parents' home so I haven't been able to see them in person. My sister did send me pictures but my first reaction was that the faceups I gave them were pretty bad. :lol: I definitely think I can do a lot better now since I'm also into customizing Nendoroids and those are much smaller to deal with than MSDs haha.

I don't think I feel too attached to my BJDs but I do feel partial to them just because they were my firsts. I did briefly consider selling them once but didn't think about it further so they just sat around longer. Once my sister sends them to me, I'll give them another shot with a makeover before seriously considering selling them to fund sculpts that I like more.

One thing I noticed after returning to the hobby is that my preference in sculpts has changed a lot. I no longer feel strongly about a lot of sculpts on my old wishlist now. They're still beautiful, but just not what I want anymore. I also prefer SD sculpts over MSDs but am on the fence about making the size jump.

11. I was out of the hobby for seven years, though I always skirted at the edges ; lurking instagram, compiling inspiring dolls in various boards on pinterest, etc. Randomly, a year ago, I decided to finally join DOA after years having avoided it, somehow. And from there, I joined a few resale facebook groups, and the rest is history. My back-to-the-hobby purchase lulled me back into the world of collecting, and now I'm waiting on my second before my first has even been completely assembled.

I sold all of my (few) dolls save for one before exiting the hobby the first time, and I sold the one remaining doll upon returning. I wanted a fresh start and unlike some other people coming back to the hobby, the memories and also general displeasure of the other dolls were definitely one of the reasons I hesitated coming back. My headspace and aesthetic has changed so drastically that I am glad I cleared house before and after returning so that I could really, truly enjoy the hobby now.

One of the things that's helped me re-fall in love with the hobby is following more independent bjd sculptor accounts on instagram, as well as more faceup artists. I'm exposed to so many new sculpts and companies that way, as well as the ways you can really make them come to life through customization.

#31 appleskins, Jan 14, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    12. This is so very interesting to read...considering I also went through a hiatus I never imagined I'd be back to the hobby.

My hiatus was probably around 2-3 years. Honestly the time flew. The causation: I was in an unhappy relationship. When it dissolved (although a good thing) I found myself in a state of depression I hadn't experienced before. I threw myself into work mostly and left most of my hobbies behind.

Fast forward after much needed self improvement and growth I found my creative energy resurging again. I wanted to create and had many blank dolls to work on. I did sell a few, but overall I got back into the groove by doing what I love most, painting.

Now that I'm back... :horror: Holy crap I can't keep up with all the new companies lol. I'm just taking it as I go. If I see something I like... I explore it, if not...eh. I'm not as hardcore INTO the hobby as I used to be. Just enjoying having fun again.

For anyone who is coming back... my only advice is that a hobby is something that should be enjoyed and add happiness to your life. Don't come back and immediately stress yourself out about what dolls you do or don't have, what LEs you're missing...what's popular/ what's not. That tarnishes a fun hobby quickly and why many leave in the first place. Just have fun and enjoy your dolls again.

13. How long was it and how did you get back into the hobby?
      I fell out of activity around 2015, came back in 2020.

I realized that I finally had the means to get some dolls I always wanted and I went a bit.... well let's just say my collection doubled in a year from 5 to 10.

Research. I looked at what people post in the marketplace and the gallery first. I also love to look at various new dolls in the profiles because that is where I was seeing the biggest variety of sizes, sculpts, and styles. I found a lot of inspiration from those profiles.

Were you still attached to your dolls after your hiatus, or did you reset your collection?
      Mostly a reset. I didn't have all that many to begin with so when I reshelled three out of five of the old ones that was a big deal. Everyone is still in the process of getting new faces, too (both new and old). Last year I got all new eyes and wigs etc. So style-wise they all got an update.

Not really. You should do a hobby if it makes you happy; forcing yourself to enjoy something is counterproductive. Maybe if you're feeling burnt out, be careful about what you sell as you could regret it later. If you feel inspired again, then great! If not, that's fine too since there's lots of paths to happiness.

14. How long was it and how did you get back into the hobby?
      I really lost touch with the hobby around 2016 and have only just recently started making my foray back in! Between the sociopolitical state of the world and my college education, I just didn't have the time or energy to spare for almost any of my hobbies. I lurked on the outskirts and still followed people on Instagram and YouTube, but I really didn't touch my dolls for years (even the ones I purchased during my hiatus).

I found myself falling madly in love with certain dolls and deciding to wholesale part ways with others. I really found myself leaning into the Konmari "does this spark joy" question one night and decided to sell half my collection on a whim the very next day, which was terribly refreshing and reinvigorated my love for the dolls I kept.

I really wouldn't say I'm "back on track," as it were, as my lurking meant I was able to keep relatively decent tabs on things like releases and companies. That said, my goals got a massive overhaul, as I now want to focus more on the styling and customization aspect of the hobby than on the buying new dolls aspect (save for a few exceptions). My wishlist honestly hasn't changed much, I'm just now in a place where I can afford to go back and track down the dolls I always loved but were out of my reach before.

I did a "soft reset." I'm still very attached to certain dolls that I've had since before or acquired during my hiatus (Feeple60 Juri 2012, DD Mariko, etc.), but because of that attachment, I was able to finally confront the reality that I wasn't attached at all to a large swath of my collection. I think I managed to strike the right balance!

My biggest advice is to look at it from the Konmari lens. Ask yourself "does this spark joy" and allow yourself to be truly honest about if it does or not. Only make space in your life for the things that make you happy and bring you fulfillment, then let everything else go. The hobby is so much more fun for me now than it ever has been before, and I hope I can keep that going for as long as possible.

15. Due to illness, I have very little energy and money to spend, so my hobby-adventure has always been with up and downs in activity. Everytime I return, there are so many new companies, that I've kind of given up learning about them. I don't intend to buy new dolls anyway... aside from two bodies for my floating heads.

The most difficulty I've had was discovering what is the primary social media platform for people in this hobby nowadays. DoA seems strangely empty now, and I've noticed that many have turned to Instagram - a social media account I only use for Freakstyle activities, since I don't have a smartphone and it's a real hassle to post pictures there without one.

As for the dolls: I'm still as fond of them as I was when I first bought them. I did think of a new way to style them, though, which includes having to send them to face-up artists, having to make wigs and costumes for them. The past few months (well... years), I've been looking at tutorials for wig making, and costume design etc to become at least moderately proficient at it. I've recentely come across someone who makes historical outfits and they've taught me a lót about how to make fabric hold shapes it doesn't want to do naturally.

As for tips: Don't care too much about popularity and what 'other people' might think. This is your hobby, you're allowed to enjoy it anyway you want. And don't stress yourself about 'unfinished' dolls. I don't think these dolls are ever finished ;). There's so much we can do with them, they will change several times at least throughout their lifetime.

16. Love this topic because fun as dolls can be, it happens.

How long was it and how did you get back into the hobby?

Just a year, and mostly because of unemployment (tightening my budget) and adopting a kitten. Suddenly the dolls felt like an afterthought when it was all I could do to keep kitty from snatching their wigs!

I'm actually pretty enamored. I was tempted to sell my most expensive Volks a couple of times but now that I've trimmed her wig and ordered new clothes, I'm so excited to make the beautiful Angela sculpt shine.

Honestly I didn't, my tastes have changed a bit so I've adjusted in that regard. But the most I ever did was scroll through my favorite companies' stores for new faces and browse Taobao for outfits. Some missed opportunities here and there, but this is a hobby of such abundance I'm really okay with missing out on a few things.

I'm pretty minimalist, so the break was a good time to face my possessions and sell 2/5 of my dolls. Still afraid to acquire more because I do like most I get, but that's why it's good to acquire things very slowly and take the time to decide and save up for stuff EVEN IF you have plenty of cash.

Don't get FOMO! This hobby is way too big and complex for anyone to know everything. Also, being honest about the amount of effort you're willing to put in helps. As much as I'd like to be the person who sews, mods, makes wigs, and does faceups, realistically I only feel up for faceups and basic maintenance. Don't be afraid to forego DIY and purchase whatever else you need.

17. I’m so glad to see other people are in my boat! I have had maybe a 10 year hiatus after I hit some financial issues.

I used to be “in the know,” but now I’m totally lost. There are so many doll companies, and I’m a little overwhelmed. I only know the old school ones, and some companies are gone. I do like this forum a lot though!

18. I've had a couple years Hiatus of sorts and sometimes it's so overwhelming I think about selling my dolls but it's been so long for some, it'd be a pain to find them again secondhand if I change my mind. What I'm doing now is just kind of boxing up the big project ones, and will work on one doll at a time. If I can't find what I want to do with it or wouldn't miss it if I sold it, I'll consider selling it. Otherwise I'm going to slowly put the character together, like buy a wig or clothes one month, look around for a faceup artist to commission, and try to finish them before I move on to the next doll. Here's to hoping I can finish one of them and be satisfied with the result! : D

Like I want to make a feather wig, but I'll never get around to finishing it so I figure I'll commission one instead. That's as perfectly valid road to take.

19. How long was it and how did you get back into the hobby?
      It's been around 5ish years since I've last actively sought out the BJD hobby, mainly because I was still a student then and the budget of bjds were definitely beyond my wallet. I actually stumbled across a mutual friend who turned out to be active in the BJD hobby and whilst being reminded of such, I checked my grail doll's company only to see them up for sale after years of waiting :love

How did you react to your dolls after such a long break? How did you get yourself back on track with new releases, companies, faceup artists, goals, wishlists, etc.?
      Hmm, looking at my current doll, he definitely needs a faceup reworked but I'll most likely use him as a practice doll since he's so old and slightly yellowed now. I actually ended up instantly preordering my grail sculpt's head when I realised that he was available for preorder and now just waiting for his body to arrive as well ^^
      Been exploring other companies which have a similar style since and expanded from switch to smaller individual sculptors such as kanadoll!

Were you still attached to your dolls after your hiatus, or did you reset your collection? Any tips for people trying to get back into the hobby?

I'm still slightly attached since they've been through so much, but I'll most likely reset the collection if the shelf gets too cluttered. I think it's nice to take it slow and steady in pursuing your wishlist instead of getting sidetracked by every new release if you ever dive back into the hobby. It's definitely going to be overwhelming and harsh on your wallet if you do jump at every sale if you're worried you'll miss out!

20. For people who've experienced a long dolly hiatus; how long was it and how did you get back into the hobby?
      Mines was about 3 years. When I moved into a place that I could have them out and not stashed away, I made sure to take them out.

I was so happy, it was like seeing a long lost friend after a few years. I remembered just smiling and looking at them. It was nice.

I kind of just jumped back in, not knowing what was going on. But when I returned. I didn't really return on socials, just something I did solely alone. Eventually after a few months I wanted to see what was new so I just looked into all the shops I've purchased from before my hiatus. And then I remembered I had an account here, but wasn't sure if it still existed so I tried logging in and here I am. Before when I initially made this account I was too timid to say anything and just lurked. Now, when I have the time I'll browse and leave a few comments. It's nice being back.

Were you still attached to your dolls after your hiatus, or did you reset your collection? Any tips for people trying to get back into the hobby?

Yes, I was still attached. Honestly, I missed them when I was on my hiatus, but I couldn't do anything about it because of my living situation. When I was on hiatus, I would take them out every once in a blue moon, just too see them for a moment and then put them away.
      My tip would be to just embrace the dolls you have. Take some time to bond with them if needed, have them out where you can see them and if you feel like you cant bond with them, try and change some things about them. Give them a makeover, vamp up their wardrobe, face ups, new wigs. I love the two dolls I currently have, but wanted to see them in newer outfits, so I did a little shopping spree and got them new wigs and clothes. It really helps.