1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting your first boy or girl when the rest are a different gender...

Jun 22, 2016

?
  1. males

29.4%
  2. females

11.8%
  3. about equal

8.8%
  4. non-binary gendered

1.5%
  5. gender isn't important, I just collect dolls that appeal for various other reasons.

48.5%
    1. I voted the last because I've only sought out one specific doll by gender and that's my Elfkin Leif. Otherwise all of my dolls have come to me because I fell in love with them for who they were, regardless of which gender they happened to be. In the future I know of one other doll I will be seeking out a specific gender doll for but other than that, really whoever happens to come home and whatever gender they happen to be is fine by me. :)

2. I have two 65cm boys with another 2 on the way....

My next will DEF be a girl, I picked out her sculpt already but I have to wonder how well she'll fit in among my current crew. I really hope their dynamic all together will beva good one ^^

3. I think I have about an equal number of both genders. My first doll was a boy, but my second was a girl, and I think by doing that I was able to adjust and adapt to both of them and bond in a way that would have probably been harder had I had more of one gender or the other.

It's so much fun to have both, and it's given me the opportunity to have different styles for both genders and all the different sizes. :D
      Most of my dolls wear a combination of grunge meets goth, but I also have a few who are more on the trendy or cute side, and it's really given me more room to explore the different styles and looks and what works better for what doll and their character. <3 <3

4. Originally I only wanted male dolls. even the female molds I had was turned into male characters, however this has changed a lot for me since then. Now I like female dolls a lot and although i dont have completely even distribution of male and females it is almost there.

5. I have been debating with myself about this just now, actually. I have had all male dolls for a long time, had a minifee girl at one point but it didn't last. This year, I purchased a Volks Masha. It was an impulse buy, I really wasn't planning it but I thought the price was amazing and she had all her papers and this gorgeous custom faceup from a professional faceup artist and there went my self control out the window.

And she came, and she is beautiful, and for 2.5 seconds I was like YES! Now I can buy all those cute girl clothes and shoes I have never had any use for before!

But now... I am very likely going to repaint her and put her on a boy body. :sweat Part of me feels like this is a terrible waste and that I ought to just resell her to someone who likes her as a girl. But I think overall I'm just not a girl doll collector. I like looking at other people's pretty girl dolls well enough, but I don't want one enough to put in the time and money on my own.

6. I voted "gender isn't important, I just collect dolls that appeal for various other reasons."

I try to shell out my roleplaying characters as dolls, and although once the character is created gender is important, in the process of making them they can be anything.. I go with what feels right for each character. Right now my crew leans heavily on the female side, but I hope to get a few boys and non-binary/other dolls too. That having been said, it's only a few years ago that I avoided all female characters like the plague, and it took a lot to get rid of the mindset that girl characters were lesser and whiny/stupid/a burden. It's crazy what a lifetime of subtly female-bashing tv-programs and games can do to you.

7. I dunno why but I've never even considered getting a full-on male doll. Most have muscular bodies which I find not to my liking (too stiff looking?) and I just appreciate the female form and find it cuter. A lot of my characters have little to no boobs or are gender-whatever's (which is to say I don't state it but they're basically genderless). Kinda like me, I guess. >.<

That being said, I do tend to want male heads on female bodies a lot since it's much more androgynous. Too many overly pretty female face sculpts.

8. When I started the Hobby, my first doll was a 70cm male because I knew I wanted to collect male dolls, but as fate would have it, my collection would expand to include more female dolls.

Today, my collection is slightly even in ratio because I love different types of sculpts and gender isn't important to me.