1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Gift items: Should they be sold?

Apr 29, 2007

1. Personally I feel that a gift is only truly given if there are no strings attached, which means the new owner can do with it he/she wants including selling it. However, selling a gift shortly after it has been given doesn't give the impression you appreciate the gift. I can also respect the fact that people feel differently about selling gifts and feel that gifts should not be sold, or else they would have given free money instead of a gift. It's just that I'm more of the opinion that once given a gift is no longer yours and you can't determine what happens to it. I do believe that the culture concerning giving gifts is different in different parts of the world. To me it feels insulting to tell someone they can't sell their own stuff, but for another it may be insulting if they give a person a gift and that person ends up selling it.

There is a difference between a company that gives away freebies to attract customers and have those customers return to buy more products and a company that gives away a gift as a sign of appreciation towards the customer. Selling freebies is kind of tacky and flipping a gift feels the same, but for different reasons.

I don't mind to buy and in fact have bought a free event head. If it is something I want and someone wants to sell it, I'm willing to pay for it. If feels weird to tell people they can't get rid of something they don't want anymore and can't earn some money. I'm in the lucky position I have a sister who likes BJDs too and I can give event gifts to her, so I don't have to sell if I get an event gift I don't like to keep.

2. this is a different between retail sell and re-sell. if someone got a extra head and sell it, i think it is alright. by the way, it maybe a bit over react to say this is ethical or not...

3. I'd say once it's given to you, you're free to do as you like with it. I have given gift items with sales and I honestly don't mind if the buyer turns around and sells the item.

It's a bit different than a personal gift from a friend, I tend to hold on to things forever if its a gift from a friend or my boyfriend. I still hold onto some wrapping paper from his gifts even haha!

4. I don't really see a problem. After all, its mine, isn't it? I can do whatever I want with the item, whether it be sell, mod, destroy, etc..

5. i don´t see a problem with that :) you can get some dollars for your doll munnys xD or if you don´t want it and don´t want to sell it you can also offer it in the goodbye naked threat :) i would say it´s yours do what you want :)

6. I'd say it depends on how you feel about it; if it's a sale promo (spend 300 dollars and get this free SD head), and say, you don't really want/need the gift (what if you only collect MSDs?), then sell it! It might be no use to you, but someone else might need/want it. If it's a personal gift from a friend, I'd be more inclined to keep it forever. My Dollzone BB Jing is a doll that's on the "No Sell" list forever and eternity simply because my best friend gave him to me. ;)

7. I guess it depends on whether you truly think it's a gift. A lot of the time you're paying for it one way or another, they're obviously not just giving things away because they still need to turn in a profit. So I don't see the problem with someone selling something on I guess, unless it was an actual "here have this" sort of gift. But even then, sometimes you need the money or don't need the gift.

8. Depends on the item IMO. If its something soughtafter then I think it's ok to seel something you got for free

9. It depends on I like it or not, if I like it I'll keep. But if not, OK, bye-bye. Now I have 2009 wintery head at my home and he was in the cupboard for one year! Someday I'll buy him a body.

10. Is it ethical to sell gift items, like free event heads, or free dolls? What about a doll which comes with two heads?
      If the doll with two heads is bought including the price of the extra head, I don't see why it shouldn't be sold back. I don't necessarily mind buying gift heads, but I'm the sort of seller who only charges the extras I paid for it. I "gave" a head to a friend, but since I paid for its face-up and eyes, I also "sold" it to him to compensate for it. (wordy..) I.e. I got a free head, paid $35 for face-up and $10 for eyes. I charged him $45. That's just me, though..I don't find it unethical to sell a head worth a considerable amount of money; it is, after all, included with a purchase and thereby worth something to sell.

Should the seller only sell the extra parts at the price the item would usually sell for, or accept higher amounts? Is this a concern for free gifts that are not dolls, such as clothing, and if not, why the double standard?
      Profit is nice, but scalping is not. For me, it goes with everything. If an outfit is worth $60, I refuse to pay $100. Likewise, if a doll head is worth $100, I will not pay $150. But overall it is up to the seller..I am just the buyer and I will pass it on if I feel that it's unreasonable.

What about someone who uses a free item to make something new, such as a complete doll out of a free head or a new outfit with a free clothing item?
      If money/time/effort has been invested with the free item, then I have no problem with putting a regular charge to it. If a free shirt was turned into a full outfit with pants, socks, jacket and hat, it's free to be tagged with a "standard" price. Same with a doll--I invested hundreds of dollars into putting my NaNuRi'06 together, if I were to ever sell him (I would never, but for the sake of argument) I wouldn't hesitate to charge what I invested.

11. The right/wrong issue comes into play in my mind depending on how the gift was presented. If the company has created an atmosphere of this-is-super-special-and-we-frown-upon-the-reselling-of-this-gift, I would have a hard time selling said gift, unless I was in dire need of money.

On the other hand, if the gift was presented as a bonus for buying during a sales promo, I wouldn't think twice about selling the item(s) if I were so inclined. In fact, I almost sold a Luts head I received as a bonus for a purchase, but changed my mind in the end. (If I had gone ahead with the sale, I would have charged enough to cover my shipping fees from the original order, much less than what a single head goes for at Luts.) As for unwanted non-doll/doll parts, I would probably end up just giving them away, or perhaps trading them for something I wanted/could use.

If a doll comes with two heads, you purchased a package and it would be perfectly fine to sell part of that package if you wished. Lots of people split up dolls, including me! It's a great way of saving money.

Now as far as what other hobbyists do, I don't make judgment calls. I personally would not buy a doll/item from my first example, but wouldn't begrudge others if they decided to sell/buy a gift in that instance. Technically, when an item is given to someone, that item becomes their property and they can do with it what they want.

12. I think of it like this-
      Most bonus items are a promo- an advertisement or deal to encourage people to buy that doll right now, rather than later. The gifts they often give- like heads and stuff- are already products they sell in store.

I don't think they're really gifts, but simply part of a marketing strategy. And if its an item they have in stock then why not sell it?

13. This really depends on what you think is a "gift", personally if someone has given me something for free or as an extra I wouldn't sell it.

14. To me, it is ok to sell the gift item seems the gift item you get is normally not really free as you have to purchase something from the company at the first place before having the opportunity to get the gift. :) I think if you do not like it, you can just sell it as someone who might want it very much can own it. :3nodding: You get the money and you can buy something you like. :blush Happy ending right? ;)

15. I think it's perfectly fine to sell a gift item if one wishes to. I have a wig which I got as a gift I don't need, and would gladly sell or give to someone, depending on the situation.

16. eeep! Difficult...

Is it ethical to sell gift items, like free event heads, or free dolls?

Gift items, if you don't like them and they do not suit your character, I have no ethical issues with selling them.
      Free event heads, can be sold, but then why buy during the event? If it then just does not please because it does not fit I'm still kinda halfway but there should not be too much of an issue here.
      Free dolls, I really don't know. I don't know why there would be free dolls, but if you don't like them, sell them, I say. But this is slightly muddy.
      What about a doll which comes with two heads?
      Keep both heads, even if you only ever use one. I dunno why I think that, but I do.
      Should the seller only sell the extra parts at the price the item would usually sell for, or accept higher amounts?
      If the item is a special item that does not exist to be bought anywhere else, then they can demand whatever price that is bought. But for items that can be bought from the company, I would only pay less than what the original price is. But that might just be me.
      Is this a concern for free gifts that are not dolls, such as clothing, and if not, why the double standard? yes, it is a concern. if I got something with my package and it is not available anywhere else, and I do not like it, I would try to sell it for the cost of a similar item plus maybe a pit extra. But no more than $5-$10.
      What about someone who uses a free item to make something new, such as a complete doll out of a free head or a new outfit with a free clothing item?
      I don't see how this is an issue. A head goes on a body, and clothing is meant to be worn. But the original item must be recognizable.

17. I can't see any problem with selling items that came as gifts.....after all, the item, once given, now belongs to the reciever and is theirs to do with as they choose. If gifts come with stipulations such as 'must not be sold' then quite honestly I'd rather not have them!

18. Well you can also look at it this way.
      You receive an item, it becomes your property, whether it was sent to you as a bonus, you found it on the ground.. or your best friend said "I don't want it anymore" But really it's the buyer who is willing to give it a monetary value. Sure you may have no use for it, but it still belongs to you, not having a personal connection with a buyer or the need to give them 'customer service' why not get compensation for your property if offered. They give you money, you give them something they want, everyone is happy. It's business and whether you think it's dirty or wrong thats in the hands of the buyer. The reasons prices get so high in the marketplace is because SOMEONE is willing to pay them, and you have the complete right to sell or trade your property in any manner you want. =)