1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Glossed lips, yes or no?

Jul 15, 2019

1. light glossy:3nodding:

2. I personally love glossy lips! It makes their texture look different from the skin texture, which I think adds some more realism to the doll! (and shiny lips are just the CUTEST aaaaa)

3. I absolutely love gloss on my own dolls haha I often do a few layers, in my eyes the glossier the better

4. I love glossy lips, especially if they make the doll look more realistic. I definitely appreciate certain looks with matte too though.

5. I'll cast my vote in favor of glossy lips too. But nothing strongly against matte either, just prefer the glossy look.

6. I adore the gloss look, I think it's really pretty. It also helps that with a face-up I just assume that they're always wearing makeup, so that helps my brain. Or on mature dolls, it could pass as freshly licked lips.

7. I prefer matte for boys. No clue if I want gloss for a girl doll or not.

8. When I joined the hobby I didn't like glossy lips but I've grown to love them and as of now I highly prefer having my dolls to have glossy lips! It makes them look more realistic and enhances the cuteness factor in my female dolls:D

9. I like glossy lips on most of my dolls but I love the matte look too. I like really dark deep colors on my dolls and the gloss makes it pop on really rosey lips.

10. On dolls, I usually don't mind glossed lips, because they don't actually look wet or moist to me - just shiny. I still prefer no gloss.

On real humans, wet or glossy lips actively gross me out. I can't understand why people like it!

11. Glossed lips (or tear ducts or really anything for that matter) are a pretty strong "no" from me.
      I don't like the look on myself, other humans and it carries over to dolls as well.
      It kind of drives me crazy that my latest girl has glossed lips and I can't wait until I can have them sprayed matte.

12. I think I like the semi-gloss/somewhat shiny look the best. It bothers me when they're really shiny.

13. I like a gloss lipstick for cute natural looks. I don't think it looks like drooling :XD:. The matte finish gives the dolls a more mature look which I can also appreciate. Yet I stick with glossy!

14. A definite YES from me:XD: I love glossed lips that look shiny and juicy:XD:

15. Depends on the face-up for me. One of my dolls has a light gloss on her very babypink lips. My other doll has matte lips, because she does not wear lipgloss or much makeup in general.

16. Basically, I think I like gloss lips, but when apply it on the doll, I think it's really case-by-case.
      I know sometime, the doll sculpt and make up style really doesn't suitable for applying gloss, then I will absolutely avoid doing that in this case...

17. These are stunning! How do you create texture with gloss? I have some random cheap gloss i was testing out on practice heads but seems a little too thin in consistancy to allow me to build a texture.

Are you using a slightly viscous gloss and making lip lines with it like vertically on the lips? Im very confused as i never considered anything but a sleek layer of gloss lol

18. Honestly, I love a satinish look for lips because a lot of lips, even without lipstick, in real life tend to be just a little bit shinier than the rest of the face due to the texture and stuff. (Very smooth, so they can sometimes catch the light). Plus it draws just the slightest bit of attention to the area.
      It would probably depend on the doll and their style of face-up though. A doll with makeup and glossy lips makes sense, but a really boyish doll with nothing on probably would look better matte.

19. I'm gonna have to go with all the Third Option people here: semi-glossed, or satin finish! Matte seems rather plain to me and gloss has a sort of false shininess that looks a bit odd, so a happy in-between is nicest! Of course there are exceptions to all of these, but generally a tiny bit of gloss is what I like most ;O

20. My dolls are all little girls so I prefer matte lipstick. I don't like my girls to look too "grown." I think on teen or women dolls that glossy lipstick would look fine.