1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Going a bit mad with doll purchases in the first few months

Dec 6, 2017

1. I thought I was alone! I haven't even gotten my girl yet but I'm looking for a boy to have a pair since the day I ordered her- I have set up wish lists on ebay, amazon, wish for things I want for her?
      I feel like its the excitement of having (Generally speaking) an item you can somewhat customize- I put down a rule that I will not order anything until I get my girl but I have started crocheting from the sizes I could get online
      I don't have any advice but I'm grateful that you made this post and I could find the advice too

2. Hah I guess im glad im not alone either.
      I've bought 4 70+ boys in the last 7 months and 2 tinies. The 70+ boys are so huge and theyre sO EXPENSIVE that i feel really bad for accumulating so many so fast.
      I also have 9 additional SD heads sitting around just because I like having their sculpts
      and I have 4 full outfit sets ordered ahhhh.

I've also sculpted my own head at this point and it's been such a drain on my budget and I'm glad to see everyone agree that it slows down after a while

3. Ok unpopular opinion here. I have never bought a lot of things at once. I think even having the money, I don't like to spend a lot in different things that can be bought separately from time to time. Buying is something that gives you pleasure, for sure. But for me, the instant hype of a purchase is the same if I buy a small thing or a lot of them, so I prefer having this sensation multiple times rather than all at once. I don't know if it makes sense at all, but it works for me ^^'
      By the way, of course I've had the temptation of buying this and that all at once, and I have a lot of plans in my head, but I fight against that because for me it's worth it :)

4. I know the feeling!! You tell yourself "I'll only get this one doll and this one head this year". Not true. Lol. Then you feel the urge to sell or trade a few...

5. This is something I can relate to! I made my first BJD purchase a few months ago and I now own two full dolls and three floating heads (who will definitely become complete dolls in the future). To add on to this, I am expecting two full dolls sometime this month with another doll on layaway that will arrive early next year. I am content with each doll so far and I do not see myself selling any of them. As long as you budget for it and are not hastily purchasing dolls that you might not actually want, I do not see a huge problem with it. :)

6. I didn't start that way, but it was because I was not in a situation where I could. I bought my first doll, cheap eyes and wig, pair of boots and made everything else myself. I didn't buy another doll for 5 months, when I got my second and did the same thing with buying a cheap wig and boots, used his default eyes for him. Then I got my third doll for Christmas that year, and that was all the BJD stuff I got in my first year. At the time, the only way I could really buy doll stuff was to make money by selling other things.

After I was in the hobby for a couple of years and made better money, I did start buying a lot more. I almost always had a doll on layaway or waiting, and I bought a lot of accessories too. I've slowed down a lot because I started feeling like I went overboard, but I still like to buy a few times a year, even if it's just a tiny pet doll or new hands or feet.

7. So... I've been in the hobby since 2006 but I took about a 4 or 5 year break and just got back into the swing of things last year. I went crazy last year... Bought over 10 dolls and one of them was a Dollmore Trinity. :shudder So... Yeah. I know the feeling.

8. I don't have this problem, in fact I have the opposite and are quite slow at acquiring and customizing dolls, got my second 6 years after my first and its still in its box after arriving 2-3 months ago because I'm still gathering materials and thoughts on how to customize it... but I know a person who picks up dolls on whim. Like she literally saw a bjd in a small hobby shop and she bought it cause she thought it looked lonely and it was fate X'D. I guess everyone's different but it is fine as long as you have the financial power, have a place to display them nicely and will appreciate it. :XD:

9. For me it went from "I'll try with a small doll and see how I like this hobby" to "I'm just gonna shell these 3 characters", ( one is shelled, one I'm not sure about and one them should be getting home in the near future) to "I need to start writing a new story to justify getting these sculpts I really really like" (one is my grail and one is from an artist I admire deeply, they have a few pre-orders per year but one of my fave sculpts from them has already been discontinued and didn't want to take chances). If it feels right and you got the funds go ahead and considering how well you plan and think things through I can quite safely say you won't regret it ;)

10. Hmm... welp, I don't have any dolls yet but I would say everyone is different so what you're doing sees okay to me. Especially since getting into a new hobby is fun and you don't ever get that first love sort of feeling twice! I feel like I can relate to a lot of the questions you post, so this was a nice thread to read. But my thoughts are always that if you have the money, are having fun and nobody is getting hurt, go crazy! I'm personally waiting for some dolls to become available, but if they were I'd have 3 or 4 dolls already... heh.

11. I've been worrying about this myself. Although I've always enjoyed dolls and figurines, I'm very new to this hobby and just ordered a doll... a really expensive doll. I'm actually shy to admit it, even on this forum, because I feel like I should have started with less of an investment and feel a bit foolish for jumping in so quickly. Buuut then again, I have the funds and I'm absolutely giddy about her. And now I just want to buy her more pretty things even before she's arrived. :doh

12. Yeah I keep seeing dolls and wanting them! One just arrived today and bought her because I fell in love with her then yesterday one of my grail heads popped up and I'm getting her and at the end of the month I'm hopefully getting a body for my first floating head it's all so hectic!! Doll plans are hectic xD

13. I’d say this is pretty common :3 there’s nothing wrong with starting off with a good collection, especially if you’re happy with what you’re getting

14. The way I see it, the more you have the less chance you have of losing interest. So flooding yourself with dolls will increase your chances of finding that one thing that keeps you going in the hobby. If that makes sense.

15. That's a good way to put it actually!

16. Hahaha...I bought total of 9 dolls and 1 practice head in less than a year! And i cannot stop looking at dolls but bcos i m saving for a holiday so i control myself. :) I think its normal for new owner to go abit crazy.

17. I started very carefully, a head, an older doll...but then ...i found myself preordering a dollshe, i did not even know
      The waiting time on that...ugh.... And suddenly i found the momonita i wanted and i see lots of great
      Things passing....it is very addicted..but for me its finding clothing and wigs and shoes to..
      Every doll must look excactly like i have it in my mind....
      I just decided to try to get 3 or 4 i just love... Aldo i am so greedy

18. Seems like it's a pretty common phenomenon in this hobby. I did the same thing. I think I bought, like, 6 or 7 dolls in my first year :sweat. I ended up selling my very first ( I realized I liked SDs more than MSDs) and another I got that year went to live with a friend (I reshelled him as a different sculpt). All the others I've bought are still with me 5 years later and I'm super happy with them still. You'll level out, eventually. Just make sure you've got the money for what you're buying and you'll be fine.

19. I am like this too, I have brought four dolls this year. But I think it is ok as long as you love the doll you are buying. I love all my dolls and they give me a lot of happiness. I enjoy buying things for them too.

20. Oh good. I am glad I was able to say what I wanted.