1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Going a bit mad with doll purchases in the first few months

Dec 6, 2017

1. If it makes you feel better, I'd say that buying a lot of bjds at once is a good sign of how excited you are to get into the hobby and start collecting ^^ and you'll likely meet lots of great people because of it as well

2. I'm anticipating this phase for myself. My wish list very suddenly ballooned out, haha... I blame the pretty Granado sculpts I spotted. Some of those angel-named sculpts are perfect for a few of my characters. Hopefully things will go smoothly for the first ones first!

3. I get that. After buying my first doll I was like. "Oh! He's gonna be naked...well, to the doll shop I goooo..."

I ended up buying another doll.

It's disastrous.

4. I went from 2 SDs, 2 MSD, and a floating head to a total of 15 dolls tover the course of 6 months. That was after I'd been in the hobby for about a year and a half, though (this was after my income basically doubled).

Since the customization process is the biggest part of the fun for me, I think I'm going to focus on Monster High once I'm done working on the ones that I've already ordered.

5. This is so me right now. I've been in the hobby since July and I have 2 dolls home and 3 open orders right now, plus plans for at least 4 more. I blame events for most of it.

6. Oh Lordy. Last year was my first serious year in the hobby. I went from owning nothing to owning three complete on-topic dolls, two extra floating heads, three additional off-topic dolls, and a passle of clothing for the whole crew. So yeah, it's easy to go a bit hog wild when you're new to the hobby. All I can say is try not to bust your bank and let the initial frenzy peter out. After awhile you'll settle into a steady routine.

7. Just to echo what most other people here have already said, I don't think it's wrong to go a little crazy, as long as you can afford the money and space! I ordered my first girl in February this year and am currently sitting on 8 full dolls, 2 floating heads, a body on the way, another doll on layaway and 2 sold and moved onto new homes; all comfortably purchased! :lol:

8. I am so glad i'm not the only one who felt this 8'D i got my first doll in February and now between me, my sister and mother we have 11 full dolls, 3 floating heads, 5 dolls on layaway and 3 on the way :'D i wont even touch how many outfits ,wigs, eyes and other stuff i bought :'D all it took was selling most my cosplay stuff, working non stop and screaming a lot 8')

im already eyeing my next few dolls too OTL

9. Don't worry, you're doing just fine and I would say it's normal. I bought around 20 dolls in my first year. And that's not counting the ones I am targeting to bring home soon.

10. I definitely did this with my 18" dolls collection, then got a tad overwhelmed and downsized a bit. Now I like the size and diversity of that collection and I just focus on getting clothes.

I am trying very hard not to repeat this with my new BJD obsession. ^^;;;

11. Ong this is so me rn :sweat

12. I'm glad that I am not the only one that went a little overboard with buying dolls during their first year. This year will be my second year in the hobby. My first year I ended up buying my first doll which was a Resinsoul Su then a month even before she arrived I bought a Switch Holy Soseo head. Ended up giving both away, then I put my Switch Seolrok (was such a lucky find:...() on a 4 month layaway ended up finish buying him earlier, bought a Pygmalion Ha head not even a month later, then in September I bought my httbambee, and then for a Christmas gift to myself I bought a Charmdoll Renard.

Needless to say, I really needed to slow down. Out of all those dolls I only have three:
      My Switch Seolrok
      My HttBambee
      & My Charmdoll Renard:roll: didn't end up bonding with a lot of the dolls I bought.

13. I started my collection ordering 2 dolls at the same time... if that helps. And my friend ordered 3 at once as her FIRST doll order.

14. I know exactly how you feel. I don't have the money for full dolls though and tend to find myself buying accessories, eyes and wigs for dolls I plan on getting instead (which is a bit silly I think). I have 0 self control over the matter but I love getting dolly things in the post!

15. Mine all came in twos. If you start feeling genuinely worried or overwhelmed with your purchases, that’s probably bad— I know the wait times with my new pair is giving me the anxieties.

But if you’re comfortable, and not putting yourself out money-wise, and paying off your important adulting things, then I’d say you’re golden! :dance

16. It's not just when you first get into dolls. I was just thinking that things go in waves. You have a period of nothing much and then a big waves are really nice dolls come and you suddenly find yourself surfing it :blush

17. Yep, I feel that. Seems like it's about a year for me between cave-ins. Been sorely tempted three times in the past few months, but only given in to one small and relatively inexpensive case (so far).

18. I've been in this hobby for 14 years now, and I'd say that this is something that comes and goes. I am going through a turbulent (?) phase right now where I seem to literally 'hoard' dolls ;) But there were periods where I didn't buy anything for some years. Don't worry - it's just like any other activity in your life.

19. Exellent point, @Puppenfieber the buying does seem to go in cycles sometimes. I'm in a phase where I am actively *trying* to aquire some after a couple years off.

20. I somehow did but I put an immediate stop to it right away ^^;;
      My mind was set to finish my first doll, which is a floating head for now and I just ordered their body. My goal this year is to complete it first (clothes, wigs, etc), and take a break before I resume to get another doll. I also allow myself to think wisely if I really wanted the sculpt i'm eyeing on and move on if I realized that it isn't really for me. Like you know, avoiding more impulse buys more than I already did ;;