1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Good things the BJD hobby has done for you?

Oct 14, 2007

1. Defiantly something to look forward to (just ordered-eeeee!), i'm already planning all the exciting stuff 'we' are going to do together! She'll help out a lot with my photography class(at just the right angle, she may pass of as a person), and be a great subject to sketch and draw inspiration from.

2. Oh yes this hobby has done a lot for me. Im a creative person but never really found an outlet for this until i found bjds. I also through this hobby have discovered how to use a digital camera (sad i know i always had an aps camera before) and put the pics on the internet. (im a techno phobe).

Ive also met lots of new people through this hobby (i was always a bit of a loner before) and been to some new places for meet ups.

3. For me it seems like all positives in this hobby. I have met some wonderful people at the meets and made some friends along they way. I've found a very good stress reliever, sewing outfits for my boy.

Through this I have become much better at sewing. It's also great that I can swing in photo ops when I'm traveling, I get some good pictures of my doll and some interesting questions from on-lookers. When I've been feeling depressed I can always snuggle with him, it never fails to cheer me up. =3

4. It helped me raise my credit score substantially :sweat My poor credit cards have taken such a beating from it.

5. Heh, this is going to sound REALLY bizzare, i think, but having Piper has *somewhat* affected my skating. I figure skate, not very well, but i do. Somehow thinking of my body in terms of my girl's joints actually seems to help a little. Like, when i land a jump, i generally "break at the waist" meaning i flop over foward, looking like i'm bending down. So now i say to myself "c'mon, man, its like Piper's waist joint, when it gets stuck up so it looks like she's trying to do a layback (or she's just sticking her chest out XD)...Make YOUR nonexistant waistjoint get stuck like that. Maybe you'd land it for once =.="

...surprisingly, i think its helping a bit o.o; That and pulling in, so my legs are together and crossed, so i land properly. Althoug that's been less suscessful XD

/weird

(that and i must say i've got this horrible desire to make her a skating dress, even though its got nothing to do with her character, world, or anything. Just to make one. it'd be such a wench though. and i hate working with stretchy material ^^; ...but it'd be cute >>; )

Also, of cousre, my dolls (and future dolls plans) have given me the drive to write and draw again. I need to draw to be able to design their outfits! And i really want to use my current character and plot plans in a story. Hopefully this one will make it past 10 pages with a plot for once! XD

6. I think one of the nicest things about BJDs is that they gave me a way to connect with my mother and best friend at a time when we were pulling away from each other. My mother and I can go to conventions together now and work on clothes (she is very good at sewing and I know nothing!) We also have a topic to talk about that isn't my schoolwork or future career choices or the various problems that we have in our lives. It's nice to be able to talk about something low-pressure like this and I think it's improved our relationship a lot.

Both my best friend and I have been suffering from depression so I think the dolls give us something we can focus on outside of ourselves and they also give us an impetus to socialize with each other that we might not have otherwise. Even if we don't actually do the things we say we're going to do, like make clothes or do the face-up, just the fact that it brings us together makes me happy.

7. It makes me more creative, or I express my creativity better. Because I know my doll is on his way I have started sewing(I was terrible before, now I'm much better), I actually use very simple math when figuring out scale for them(I like math anyway but I think it is fun to play with math), I plan on making some furniture for him, and I am going to give photostories a shot when I have a couple of dolls.

8. I've spent most of my life being the most un-artsy person I know. I don't paint, sew, draw, dance, sing, write, photograph, sculpt, or practise any other form of creative outlet. I just never liked the end result, or had no interest in the first place.
      Upon discovering these dolls I found that I was really drawn into the idea of doing their face-ups and photography. I'm still just getting started, but I'm sure this will be my only true creative outlet, and that makes me pretty happy.

9. I'm so glad to see this thread come back to life! :sumomo: I thought I'd posted in it the first time around, but I guess I didn't . . .

BJDs are almost completely responsible for the new direction my career took in 2006 -- teaching Japanese literature and film as well as my regular subjects. I would never have ventured into that whole new teaching and research area without BJDs, and I definitely would never have traveled to Japan. Besides that huge positive change in my life, I've learned something about photography, I've started a microbusiness, and (like so many other people in this thread) I've met some of my best friends through this hobby. Pretty fabulous, all of it!

10. I have several amazing, and wonderful friends I never would have met if not for BJDs. I love them to death and will forever be in debt to the hobby for introducing us.

If one can be in debt to such things as the concept of a hobby XD
      How do I repay that?! Buying stuff?! (success!! lol)

11. BJDs introduced me to this community, and through this community, I got over a lot of my shyness. It's also brought out more of my creative side, and has sparked an interest I never thought I had in painting :D

12. BJDs actually made me like dolls! I've also met some really wonderful people, learned new skills -face upping, designing and sewing clothes. Oh, and the art of waiting.

13. I'm really grateful for my dolls.
      My girlfriend works the nightshift and I work the day shift so we only get to really see each other maybe twice a week.
      If we're lucky.

My dolls keep me company while I'm alone.
      When my mind is busy, I make up things to worry about.
      So taking pictures/working with my dolls keeps me busy or occupied.
      I set them on my nightstand when I have to go to bed alone.

This hobby has led me to some amazing people too. (And, unfortunately, some very mean people.)
      I love to see pictures of people's dolls. They're all so amazing.
      Joining groups makes me feel less isolated.

My dolls are like my little family.
      They're always there for me.
      :blush

14. I used to be so bad at sewing but because of BJD hobby, it helps me to find a way to practice my hand sewing skill and even my family is amazed by how fast my sewing works have developed; my dad always laughed and remembered how my sewing skill was like when I was in elementary school with terrible sewing work which I sent to my teacher as homework. So I don't have any regret to get into this hobby at all! :)

15. Well apart from the obvious part of getting to have and enjoy these beautiful works of art collecting bjds has done several other good things for me. I have met lots of great people through the hobby and made new friends. It has made me buy a good camera and practice taking photos which is something I always wanted to do but had not got around to. I started collecting when I was very unwell a few years ago and my dolls were a great distraction and in a sense therapy as well. I still cannot sew to save myself and probably never will but I think this hobby is one of the best!:)

16. This hobby has been a wonderful stress reliever but not only that it has also taught me how to wait long periods of time without going absolutely nuts, it's helped given me a creative way to have an artistic outlet and it's made me quite fond of photography. And the most important thing is it has allowed me to own wonderful dolls.

17. I made friends due to the dolls and I love sharing/buying/trading, I love the whole hobby in general.
      And I generally like the nice people in it.

18. I had never taken up sculpting if it wasn't for BJD's and this community made me interested in photography. But most importantly: BJD's really made me appreciate hand-made items. today, I prefer to buy a painted bowl from a ceramist, rather than a factory made one, even though they usually are quite a bit more expensive. To me, it simply means that I need to be more careful, and buy less :).

19. This is the first real creative outlet I've had in years. I was very into the arts as a child and teen, particularly drawing and painting miniatures, but as I got older I found I did not have the time for that anymore. Now that I do, I find that blushing, faceups, mods, and putting together the overall "look" of a doll are very stress-relieving. I've even stopped biting my nails. :)

20. The BJD hobby has taught me many things... Patience and looking forward to something being one, even better money management is another. I've always been good with juggling my money around to buy the things I wanted rather than spend them away in a silly manner but dolls took it to a completely different level.

BJDs have motivated me to work as hard as I can to save for them, they've motivated me to draw and sew more and encouraged me to pick up photography, a skill I didn't even knew I had. BJDs have motivated me to be more creative by planning out things I want to do with them and way to customizing them, as well as mods I did and want to do. (namely, I've recently, and very defiantly, decided that I'm going to attempt doing mods on my doll chateau Lance once he gets here... by myself... even though he's hardly an inexpensive head)

BJDs have provided for me a creative outlet and stress relief. Even just thinking about them/for them when I feel pressured is enough to calm me down considerably. I've also made new friends because of the dolls, both online as well as in real life and I'm very thankful for that.