1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Good things the BJD hobby has done for you?

Oct 14, 2007

1. I've been able to reconnect with a lot of old friends and make new friends (or at least acquaintances) through BJDs.

I've been to some great places and events for meet-ups and conventions.

I've had a LOT of fun with it all.

Way back when, I bought my first digital camera so I could take doll pictures. I'm sure there are lots of other small things that came about because of dolls. :)

2. For me, I learned how to sew for BJD, learned how to use a dSLR, learned how to use PS, etc...
      I got to meet lots of amazing people in my local doll group and get to become good friends with them.

Lately, I have had some pretty bad health and buying things for my dolls, writing their stories, dressing them, and photographing them really takes my mind off some of the pain I have been experiencing. :)

3. This hobby has helped me immensely with my drawings. It's so much easier to have a little model in front of you, doing the poses you want. Those artist stick figure things are handy, but a more human shape was a lot more helpful to me. I can't wait to finish my boy for Christmas and then I'll be able to display fighting scenes in front of me between my two dolls!

My doll has been particularly calming to me and has had a positive effect on my health. When I am stressed and very sick, I sit her down beside me and just bask in the joy I feel over owning such a beautiful thing that I worked so hard to own. She makes me happy. :)

4. BJDs have allowed me to be more creative. I've learned several new skills since joining the hobby, like sewing, photography, and editing. I've met some really nice people online, and my dolls bring me a lot of happiness! BJDs allow me to focus on something I enjoy and they take my mind off of work, stress, etc.

5. I haven't owned a BJD, but since finding out about BJD, I have found many things in myself. It looks like I was back to childhood, peaceful and sweety.

6. This hobby has brought to me many new friends, and a better appreciation for budgeting.... and also taught me... PATIENCE is the true key to everything

7. Honestly guys, before I got back into the BJD hobby, I had taken a 4.5 year hiatus and went down a really dark path during that time. I was with the wrong people and did a lot of things that to this day, I'm not proud of. I was someone that I didn't recognize, but I've met someone new since then, felt comfortable enough to share my feelings about getting back into the hobby and they're supporting me %100. I'm not sad anymore; this hobby gives me so much happiness. Every comment someone makes complimenting my dolls really hit's home for me. You're all so amazing! Thank you! <3

8. I realized that there are others here that share the same things with me. I love this hobby and everything in the BJD world. I always tell my husband that I'm the most impatient person on the planet. Waiting for new kids to arrive has worked greatly. Saving money. In the past I lived from pay check to pay check and struggled to pay my bills so any left over cash was quickly blown. Now I'm in a comfortable place where half my check is mine to do with what I want, so I have learned how to save it longer and also to motivate me to continue to work at my current job. Lastly, my husband says I'm artsey-fartsey and this is great for someone who has a million hobbies and paints, sews, knits, crochets...and so on.
      But the best thing by far is it's a great outlet for my quick to get bored personality. I get bored I change out a wig or eyes, or a new dress gets planned, made. And shop for more stuff for my kids!!!

9. My first doll will always have a special place in my heart because I got him while I was taking a gap year off of school for a number of personal reasons. It was simultaneously one of the most stressful and most boring periods of my life, so it was hugely important to have something I could pour my attention into and get passionate about. He helped keep me afloat during a time when I couldn't really do anything but wait for my life to stitch back together.

Plus I'm learning all sorts of neat things! I've always been more of a writer than a visual artist, but I'm really interested in visual art, so this has been a great opportunity. Photography, fashion, faceups. It's all really new and really fun for me :D

I hope I can meet people in this hobby as well! I'm still fairly new, but the people I've talked to have been hugely inspirational and nice.

10. Hmm...I've allways been a freak in school with my fantasy ideas and drawings. And I liked that (and was strong enough to kick anyones ass who didn't).
      Now I'm long ago out of the school and dolls help me feel, that I still am not just a part of system with a "university-wedding-work-retirement" program. I am as crazy as I've ever been, yay!

11. I still don't have a doll, but preparing for one has encouraged me in my sewing!

12. They have pushed me into trying new things. Faceups, sewing, and photography. They also reacquainted me with my live of graphic and web design and blogging. They make me more frugal with my money.

And before getting back into the hobby, I was bored with life. They give me something to look forward to now. Even my fiance has said I seem to be in a happier state of mind now that I'm back in the hobby.

I do stay broke, but I'm happy and content... which is a big deal for me.

13. It´s given me a lot of new friends. I met my very best friend through this hobby :aheartbea

14. BJD's helped me in getting my first job too haha

When I first started looking into this hobby, I knew it was something that I wanted to be my own responsibility, I wanted to buy everything with my own money that I worked for. So BJD's helped me learn responsibility and even though sometimes I don't want to keep working and just go back to my lazy days of surfing YouTube, I think about my baby Eion and it really makes me excited for the day I can finally hold him and know that I worked hard for him.

15. My dolls have been a creative outlet for me. I've learned to sew because of them and make things out of polymer clay, even wooden furniture. I'm not amazing at any of it but it's been a lot of fun.

16. It's improved my sewing skills a lot. My quilts somehow got better because of all the clothes making.

17. I'm learning how to do photography now, and sewing, and something to do with hammer, nails, and woods. I'm learning a lot now, and my drawing style turned to be quite realistic one...

18. I'm more focused, money-wise. I spend money when I'm troubled or under stress. Instead of spending my money left and right, I only spend money on them now.
      Great outlet for my artistic side. I make jewelry, I doodle stories about them, I paint their faceups, I set up their backdrops, I take photographs, I photoshop their pictures, I create photostories.
      Great way to relieve my stress. Just handling them, putting on their wigs or shoes, or looking at them makes me happy.

19. Patience. See, I was a rather rash type prior to my entrance into the hobby. But since most if not all process involved in BJD is about waiting...I think it helped to reign my horses a bit ;)

20. BJD's have given me something nice to look forward to in the mornings. I suppose its just a simple joy of their beauty ^.^