1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Group orders and free gifts...

Oct 30, 2008

1. I agree, group orders can be a LOT of work to run, especially big ones. *_* I think whoever runs the order should get any freebies that are included with the order as a thank-you for their time and effort. The participants are all benefitting already by saving on shipping cost (and in some cases, getting a group discount for large orders) but without having to deal with running a big order.

2. i have never run a GO, but i'm going to put my 2-cents in anyway ^_^

i, personally, think that if it's eyes or candy or cards or cloths
      the GO runner gets to keep it
      just because they went out of their way to set everything up
      just so you could save a little extra money on shipping
      i would think of it as a reward
      kind of like karma, if you do something good or someone else
      something good will happen to you in return

but if it's resin....
      it should be raffled between GO members
      or sold in the market place to pay for shipping
      that's only fair.

3. I believe they should go to the person who does the GO for the trouble they have to go through getting the orders shipped and all that.

That being said... I have ordered a lot of dolls and I know a lot of my friends get free gifts from companies... yet I never get anything. I think they only thing I got extra once was elastic...

4. [SIZE="-10"]Speaking as someone who runs a lot of group orders, I think that organizers are entitled to get the freebies sometimes. It takes a lot of work and you have to deal with a lot of people. In my last Fairyland order, I spent over 100.00 just on shipping supplies and goodies to include for everyone and there were no free gifts in that order. So if I do ever get them from my orders, it's like a pat on the head for a job well done.

The typical group order costs me about 40.00 to run anyhow, and that's not including gas. Not that it's anyone's business, but, for those that are thinking that group order organizers are greedy and just want free goodies or points, that's not always so. I can't speak for everyone, but that's not my motivation behind running orders. I like it, it's hard, but fun and it's good practice should anyone ever want to open up some type of shop of their own.

Countless time is spent on invoicing and checking the items when they do arrive, really it is not easy. You have to mediate between participants and the companies and sometimes you have to give unpleasant news, which not everyone takes well.

If I run an order specifically for an event, I'll make it known, like with my December Luts order. I'm running that around the time I am because I want to participate in a Christmas event for once as well as to save on shipping. But the majority of the time I run orders because I need things of my own and like to save on shipping. I extend the courtesy to others because saving on shipping is always nice. Sure, I could spare myself the trouble and order on my own, but why when there are others who may need only one small item and don't want to pay an arm and a leg to have it shipped?

Anything that comes my way, which honestly isn't that often and not that much, is always nice and always appreciated. I don't even look forward to little freebies, because they're so infrequent. Plus, there's never enough of the little treats to spread around evenly when they come. What is a group order organizer supposed to do if they get three small candies but have twenty plus participants?

I don't see why this is a big deal.

If you want to join a group order simply to get free gifts, then try your hand at running one yourself. It's never guaranteed that you'll get something, but if that's your main motivation, so be it.

I know that I would hate to be hassled over whether or not I had gotten something free by a participant. It's kind of like a kick in the head. Seriously... if you have a problem with an organizer keeping something that possibly may or may not be included, then you shouldn't join an order. As for event heads, if an organizer runs an order strictly for that purpose, they are entitled to it.

My first Luts order included an event head and I really wanted it. I looked at it everyday and I was literally dreading getting it because I didn't want a big deal made. I asked for input on the situation multiple times and no one seemed to want to make suggestions until I decided to keep it for myself. I still have that head and don't plan to sell it, but, it was a hassle. I could have not admitted that we passed the eligibility mark to qualify for the head, but I did and I was stressed out over it. In the end, you can't always please everyone in a group order. All I can say is that if you want something and are able to get it on your own, get it. That way you have nothing to complain about.
      [/SIZE]

5. I agree. It does take time and money out of pocket to ship and get items out to all members. My biggest problem is that all of my group orders seem to arrive on the week I'm on graveyard shift! This means getting up in the middle of my night to pack and ship off everyone's orders. My luck with the post man sucks! *_*

I angst over the threat of an extra head! I'm sure its five times worse when they actually ship you one. I'm glad nothing Major has been added to an order I've run.

BTW: Forbidden is great to do business with. She's a great group order organizer. When I see her name, I join right in! ;)

6. I love group orders. Sometimes I just want a couple of items and when I calculate the shipping on the website, it's as much as the items I'm buying. I really don't want to run one myself and I am very happy for the leader to keep any goodies that may come their way.

7. Agreed with the statements that the organizer has dibs on all free gifts... and if they choose to share them, well, I'll love them for it, but I won't expect it.

8. I've never run a group order either, but I've been in plenty. I think the group organizer should keep the extras and not feel obligated to tell anyone about them. Group organizers get all the points for placing orders with shops that offer them. Why would extra stuff be any different?

9. I don't know much about GO but if the GO is from a company that normally gives frees gifts, couldn't the runner ask everyone to give their opinion of what should happen to said free gift if it just happened to be sent with the order? The runner could keep it, it could be sold off or raffled or RAKed to someone that was interested. I also think that a runner that says upfront that they want the free gift, that would be cool too.

10. I just want to point out that everyone in this thread, the OP included, seems to agree with you that it's not a big deal. Nobody's talking about hassling anyone...this thread is just a chance for people to think about and discuss something that often goes without saying.

That said, it's really interesting to have a window on what it's like to run a group order. I always assumed that things like packing material would be factored into the shipping cost, especially in a case like a GO where the runner might have to spend a significant amount!

11. [SIZE="-10"]I was just giving my perspective on things. I didn't say that I was directing my post at anyone. Obviously not everyone is going to agree and I was just sharing my opinion. :) Please don't take it as being pointed at anyone in this thread. I just have a tendency to ramble on sometimes... my apologies.

Sometimes I want to factor in a handling charge for shipping but a lot of times I forget and just can't do it. :| I don't know, I feel bad for the strangest things sometimes. My older brother has told me so many times that I need to do that, but I don't know how people would feel about it. I put it in my threads that a small handling charge will apply, but I don't always add it into the cost of shipping. For bigger orders, maybe I should make it a point to factor it in though. XD

Now I'm wondering for those that do factor in a handling charge in their shipping, what is that handling charge? How do you go about deciding on one? I figured that I'd ask while on the subject, though I fear that my questions might be a bit off topic in this thread. :|
      [/SIZE]

12. Wow! I would never expect someone else to pay for materials to ship to me! I don't really think it would be fair for the runner to make a profit, but it is definately not fair for them to pay for it! I don't think anyone would even question your asking for money to secure their items in shipping.

13. Okay I suppose I can put in a few cents here. I've both ran and been a part of several group orders in my couple of years here on doa.

I've done a lot of GOs for dollmore who everyone knows always sends extra stuff and goodies. (especially at xmas @_@)... The practice I've always taken is that if there is something there that I really truely want and think I will use. I keep it. It's usually something here or there like a pair of eyes, a doll shirt, something to that extent. And then everything else gets divied out to the members on the order, usually if it's an item from the site highest priced item goes to person with the biggest order and then i work my way down through the pens postcards and candy.

One time I ran an order becuase I was desperate to get an luts event head. I put in the post that I was running the order and that I wanted to keep the head, if someone wasn't okay with it then my order was not the one they needed to be on.

I was a part of a minimee order nearly a year ago that went very sour as the runner received 2 extra heads. She offered if anybody wanted to trade one out if they liked it better than the final product and then said she'd raffle one and wanted to keep the other head. two of i think the 8 or so members of the go took it to extremes and some very nasty things were said and done at the other place, and it was just a stupid mess.

Reguardless of all things here, this is how the legality breaks down:
      Free gifts or prototypes (i say this for like the minimee heads which are cast too early) are the sole property of the addressee to do as they choose. Nobody OWES anybody anything more than what they paid for. Nobody KNOWS you got anything extra unless you tell them. So I warn to avoid drama if you as a group order runner ever decide to keep something rather expensive, you better not say anything about it.

Group orders do take a long time to orgainze and put together. The last one I did my husband calculated I spent about 30 hours after the order was organized and put it, it came, I sorted it, I packed it, I took it to the post office and stood in line. For me it's worth it to save on the shipping and help others out. I usually am going to order from a place anyway whether people want in or not, but I don't expect to recieve anything from it, so sometimes when there's some freebie that comes through that I really like I don't feel bad about keeping it considering how many comapnies don't send anything like that at all.

14. I also think the person running the GO has the right to keep any gifts. I've run a few GO's and it can be a fairly big investment of time and effort. On my first GO hosting experience, I actually lost almost $100 when all was said and done. Partially my own stupidity, as I did not charge for packing materials to ship back out to everyone (all those boxes and extra bubble wrap does add up on a large order), and I underestimated the shipping on a couple of packages when I calculated postage at USPS.com. Also, I didn't feel right charging extra Paypal fees, which is a hefty chunk of money when the order is almost $1000 total (only about $100 of it mine). Then, when one of the wigs arrived in the wrong color, it became such a hassle to try to get it replaced that I ended up sending the participant the incorrect wig and just refunding their money out of my own pocket. :|

Even if the gift item is larger, I would just consider it the host's payment for the work they put into the order. All that time organizing the spreadsheets, separating and packaging, and shipping it all at the post office... like mel-mel-chan said, it adds up. I think of store credit the same way as gifts. I see it this way: if I wanted to keep any gifts and/or store credit, I could just as easily place an order all by myself. But if someone else is willing to go through that effort and save me some shipping, they can keep any extras.

I've been a participant in many GOs, including ones for Dollmore (who often includes gifts), and I've never begrudged the host any of those free gifts. Though one time the host distributed the gifts and I did end up with a free pair of eyes, which was pretty cool. But I'd never expect someone to share the gifts.

Only one of the GOs I ran (from Junkyspot) ended up with free gifts, and there were only two local participants. So in that case, we just got together and sifted through the items to decide who got what. :)

15. Exactly this.
      I honestly don't care how much the extra freebie is worth - the GO organizer can keep it. When I'm in a GO I'm just looking to save on shipping period.

16. Organizing a GO seems to be a lot of work. I wouldn't want to do it, personally, because of that, and am incredibly grateful to the folks who are willing to run them.

As a result, I know I'm cool with them getting the 'extras' -- points, freebies, earning wholesaler status, etc. If they choose to share some of that benefit with the rest of us? It's something I see as a bonus and very kind and generous behavior, not something to just expect.

17. i think the only free gifts are the ones that are surprises. Event heads are purchase incentives. Honestly if there's an event head I'd rather pay shipping on my doll and sell the head because it feels like a discount to me, not like it was a gift. I think sometimes we forget to think of dolls as real money. A head worth $85-$120 is a lot of money outside the doll world. I just packed up a GO I'm running this evening. It took me an hour or so to pack up the items and print the labels and everything. I'll have to buy more tape and go to the PO tomorrow. During the order I keep an Excel spreadsheet to make sure I have everyone's info. even if it takes me 5 hours of work to maintain a GO (it doesn't) I don't think my time is worth getting a free head worth $85-$120. Free gifts and points are a different story because they can't really be sold for money. I don't keep event heads and I do expect the people running a GO to raffle or sell the event head. I don't join orders that don't do that. if I order by myself shipping at most is $60 from Korea, and I'd still come out on top with an event head of my own that I can keep or sell.

18. I think that it would only be appropriate that the people involved in the group order get a share or hold a lottery and draw names for the items (unless someone REALLY wants something thats not a lot)

i saw one person who was running a dollmore order saying anything free would be given out to people if their name was drawn.

it gives everyone a chance especially since if without the others maybe the free stuff may have not of been there without those other orders (ie eyes and other stuff)

any of the other stuff like stickers or pens, unless it was really important(as i said before) that person can have unless others want it.

ie i joined a group order from Zion i believe and in the GO it was mentioned that every person got a free item ie clothing, wigs etc. So to me thats good enough and Zion can keep the stuff that comes with it or do what they want with it.

19. I'm very good at visualizing. I can see the hassle.
      A group order takes a lot of time and effort. You have to deal with all kinds of participants, some of whom might change their minds, be flaky, or back out. You have to collect the funds, place the order, and, if you live in certain countries, contend with possible customs fees. Then you have to inventory everything, pack everything up, write out addresses, each correctly, then take everything to the post office, and ship everything out. Not to mention the cost of gas, and time you'll never get back, and possible extra costs for packing materials.

I completely agree that the person who organizes a group order is entitled to any free gifts that may come. These people are offering, free of charge, a service to organize these orders- they don't have to do it. A lot of people are benefiting from the much reduced shipping costs, and piece of mind, knowing that somebody is looking after their order. I think it speaks to the general good-nature and honesty of most doll owners that these Group Order services don't come with a fee!

Unexpected resin, well, yes, that can be a bit sticky. But really, it's up to the individual organizer if they even MENTION the fact that this has been included. I think it's totally up to them what they want to do with it. They can keep it, give it away, do a draw... whatever they feel most comfortable with.

True, without the participants, there probably would be fewer free gifts, but when you consider the amount of work the GO organizer has to do, it's only fair that they get them.

20. Whether free gift ('lagniappe' is a very charming word for stuff like that) or event incentive, I really feel the GO organizer is in every way deserving of keeping it. Especially if it is a publicized 'extra', it's probably wisest to set out the GO policy from the start to quash the whiners. I do like the idea of selling/auctioning larger items -like bonus heads- to cover administrative expenses, but doing this would add significantly to the effort and time organizers must put in, so the return on it should be equitable.