1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Has your style of dolls changed from the first time you started collecting?

Jan 6, 2020

1. I am interested to see if as time has passed the type of dolls someone collects has changed over the years or if it has stayed the same

2. So far it has stayed almost the same, I like semi-realistic sculpts and SD size. My first one was a MSD, but not because I would have wanted it that way, my parents persuaded me to choose it as it was same doll but cheaper. I have only had one strange misfit in my crew in the middle, a Ringdoll K that was far from realistic, and that had a rather unique style too, red velvet and a lot of gold and piercings.

When I came to the hobby five years ago, I liked pretty much everything and wanted to own everything, but I never bought them in the end as I obviously had no money for everything. Now I've calmed down a lot and know what I really want for my characters and what just looks cool in some owner photo but isn't really worth buying for me as I could never make it work.

3. definitely. I've gone from sort of cartoonish fantasy dolls toward more horror and just flat out wierd dolls lol.

I think as i've become more comfortable spending MORE on dolls i've started to allow myself to look at the more artsy wierd stuff and it appeals a lot.

4. Have definitely gone more towards the strange and beautiful side as more things have become available. I generally like to only buy now as I see things, and my wishlist has remained on the smaller side, updated as I go along. That being said, when I see things, sometimes they skip the wishlist altogether and just get got. I have moved over to more realistic sculpts, but I'm looking for the best anime trash child to spoil. The aesthetic doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to. My first doll was a Luts Kid Delf Ani, and I should have gotten an SD Lishe like I had wanted but was afraid to go so large. Now I have an IOS Infernale and he's just PERFECT. And I have a Lishe now too. lol!

5. sort of? the sort of aesthetic i like hasn't changed, and my favourite scale will probably always be 1/4, but i'm now forcing myself to be more receptive to bigger sizes and i like anime-styled dolls a lot more now (they're a lot more charming irl than in photos!).

the biggest difference between me now and the me when i originally became interested in bjds would be that before i didn't really care about aesthetic differences between dolls but now that's something that really bothers me. i eventually decided to section off the different aesthetics i like into different groups like: stylised (my own OCs), semi-realistic (characters i've created in an established universe) and anime (characters from a game). that way i get to have everything i like without anyone looking weird next to one another.

6. My style has changed over my now 13 years in the hobby. I have tried from several companiez, bought and sold over 600 dolls and have no decided to return to my first real love and stick except for a couple special ones return to my favorite company and have most of my collection be from them. I have tried different pairings, family combos a now find I am better off collecting what I love and leave it at that. Great them as individuals and enjoy each one in their own special way.

7. When I started I was really into J-fashion/lolita. It was very much reflected on my first two boy dolls, who wore all black gothic outfits, and my girl who wore a BtSSB dress. As I got older I realized I didn't like this style anymore (personally or for my dolls). My boys stayed the same, mostly because I couldn't pick what else to put them in, and I think I just had fallen out of love with their sculpts in general.

I've now switched over to liking more of a pastel, light-colored theme. I have re-vamped my DOC Petsha, my Bory and Marmite Sue were bought in this style, and my two Volks gals are getting new clothes made for them right now. I'm parting with the boys and looking into other dolls and styles that better suit me.

8. Drastically! I started in 2012 with Angel of Dream 1/4th sized and have spread over a variety of companies, styles and sizes! I don't have 1/3rd or larger but surprised myself with how much I like some smaller ones. 5StarDoll, Kinoko Juice, Dearmine Pet, Aileendoll Dragon. I have some art dolls, and Minifee's! I originally never thought I'd have/like Minifee's or Kinoko Juice dolls, but I do! My overall favorites are still AoD but I have Dollzone, Doll Chateau, Dream Valley, Impldoll all wildly different and diverse. My "crew" is still mostly based off the anime/manga Outlaw Star
      With aliens, androids, anthros, humans and some OC's. The "aliens" take up most of the newer part of the crew. Anything different that caught my eye lol "oh look an alien for the crew!". I have an ever growing wish list, and change/re-shell some characters. I've sold/traded some dolls for the first time in 2018. My aesthetic and "original plans" have changed a lot.

9. Six years in and everything has stayed just the same. I've been working on finishing up the same wishlist I made when I started the hobby, I still have the same dolls, and they are still the same characters with the same style. And I am still enjoying them immensely. I'm not a huge change person :lol:

10. Size wise, yes, I used to only want SD sized dolls. But now I have mostly MSD and smaller dolls, with more MSD dolls on the way and in planning

11. Most definitely! My first dolls into the standard "pretty" doll, but I am now more attracted to the spindly, unusual aesthetic ie, DC, DZ :kitty1 slowly restyling the older ones to match

12. I don't think my style has changed that much? I'm partial to semi-realistic sculpts, the first of which I owned (and still do) is my Dollshe Bermann from 2006. I also own an Iplehouse Yur whom also I place in that category. I'm still collecting semi-realistic dolls with a few more Dollshes, a Venitu, a Granado and an LLT doll on the way.

The only dolls in my collection that don't fit in with this style are my CP Yder whom I love because I just love the sculpt, a MNF Yder because of that same reason and a Dream of Doll Hoo (MSD sized) whom I won't sell because he's my first :)

My rolling head wishlist tends to lean towards the semi-realistic or old CP sculpts.

13. I started off with msd sized scene style girls and have now moved toward more feminine and soft boy dolls and fantasy girl dolls. Just in terms of numbers, most of my dolls don't even have human bottom halves! It's a weird time for my doll collection XD

14. Time changes everything. My aesthetics is different after getting into this hobby for 7years. Starting from some younger dolls, then mature and realistic style. I owned different companies dolls, Switch, Crobidoll, Iplehouse, LaLegendedeTemps, Soom and Volks.
      My favorite doll is still my first doll from Switch. It is my perfect style and will last for several years.

15. My aesthetics haven't changed, I still prefer mature looking head, realistic proportions, and fantasy parts. But I've had a drastic change of heart on my dolls size! My first two dolls were Soom SD monthly dolls, but now I tend to buy smaller and smaller ones (I love mature tinies!!) I suppose the problem of space has played a role in this change: I like my dolls to be displayed in my study and you can only have a certain number of SD dolls in one place before it feels too crowded XD

16. Yes, it has definitely changed for me. I was absolutely in love with Doll Chateau in the beginning, but have since sold them and have focused more on bringing my original characters to life.
      I also started out with a larger number of dolls (around 13), but realized it was too overwhelming to have so many. Now I have 4 and am very content with my collection.

17. I came to the hobby from collecting fashion dolls. Most of the BJDs available 12 years ago had childish faces and single jointing, so that's what I collected, even though it wasn't my aesthetic. Later, as doll makers ventured into mature-looking, realistically proportioned dolls under 50cm and discovered better ways to engineer them to mimic human movement, I gradually sold off my early dolls. It's not that my aesthetic changed but that the BJD world has branched out to embrace the size and aesthetic I have always preferred.

18. I've only been in the hobby for 3 years so things haven't changed. I still love realistic SDs. I do have my 2 MSDs and I have no intentions of letting them go. I also have my first YOSD coming and I'm terrified I'm not gonna bond with him.

19. My style hasn't changed but I have expanded my artistic appreciation of all dolls in their various forms.

20. Style, not so much. Size, yes. My first doll was AoD, and my most recent doll is too! And that's almost 12 years apart. I still like a semi-realistic, somewhat stylized look, somewhere in the middle between anime and realistic. I still prefer human dolls in human skin tones, and I like them to wear realistic modern styles, for the most part. The biggest difference is that I only collected MSD and smaller for the first couple of years, and I only prefer SD now!