1. The Mod team regrets to inform the community that Mirodoll is now banned from Den of Angels. Please view the following thread:
    Mirodoll Banned from DoA
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever found a doll at a thrift store?

Apr 4, 2016

1. You know those places where you donate clothes and items, and that place will sell them to you for cheap?

Have you ever found a BJD or accessories at these places? Goodwill, Salvation Army, church thrift stores, etc?

2. I know someone who found 2 or 3 (can't remember exactly) Obitsu bodies for I think it was $1.50 each or something equally ridiculous.

I'd love to find one. I love fixing old/broken dolls and making them happy again.
      As it is I've only found clothes/props that happen to fit them.

3. There was a person on Dolly Market Forums who found a real Blythe!

4. That would be really cool to find one for such a bargain. I don't think I would be knowledgeable enough to identify sculpts and brands or whether or not it is an authentic piece or a recast piece.

5. I have found tons of dolls/doll stuff at my local thrift shops but so far nothing BJD related.

6. If it's just $3, I'd go for it even if it was a recast. The cheaters aren't getting any money at that point, and shelf decor is shelf decor. I'd just make extra sure not to resell it! ^^;;;;

(Not that I can tell casts from recasts anyway. I guess I'd just ask here or just assume that it was fake.)

#6 sprinkles, Apr 4, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
    7. I've found props for my dolls, and an old Monster High Frankie doll once, but nothing like a BJD. I feel like most people would know not to donate them, but there have been a few cases of BJDs getting given away/thrown out without knowledge of their value. I remember reading somewhere about a mom in Japan who threw out a Super Dollfie because a dog had chewed on it. XP

8. I've found two bjd's from soul doll at a grocery store! Of all places, lol. They were for sale at regular price :XD: the owner's daughter was selling them, yes I asked!

I sometimes go to thrift stores and have never found any cool dolls.

9. Wow, that is amazing! And out of all a grocery store xD
      I would love to find BJDs in such an unusual place. At least for the sake of some bjd-talk with the seller~

10. This has been my dream since forever. Stumble upon a $40 bjd at thrift store or garge sale.

11. I haven't been lucky enough to find a doll, but I was at a yard sale once and I got three Monique wigs and a box of glass eyes for three dollars. I think most of my dolls are wearing eyes from that box, too. It was a good find.

12. Not a BJD though I have found props for them. Fashion dolls, even the larger ones, yes. I have twice now found $150 Tonner doll in a bin with a bunch of old Barbies and action toys because no one took the time to figure out what the doll was. I was like "Yeah baby!" grin....

13. It would be amazing to find a doll. I live in the middle of no where tho. I doubt I would get that lucky where I am. I do find a lot of really great dresses that turn into pretty doll clothes.

14. There is a girl in my local community that found an old hujoo at a yard sale once. and I've seen some props for american girl and stuff that could work at goodwill, but I've never gotten full resin doll lucky :( But I check, always hoping I'll strike prop or dolly gold. How ever it's a great way to get cloth with tiny prints to turn into clothes.

15. Hm... this is making me wonder if I should start going to thrift stores more often...

16. There was a seller of department store display dummies and supplies who had some Dollzone BJDs on ebay for utterly ridiculous prices once. I scored an Orlando for about $100. They only had one of each type, and I still wonder why they had them in the first place. When I got my Orlando, she was absolutely pristine, with the full fantasy faceup.

17. I've never found a BJD, but the thrift store I go to always has tons of Barbies and other fashion dolls. I always look there just in case... Even if people think I'm weird for doing it. My excuse is always, "You never know what you'll find if you look hard enough!"

18. I read a story once years ago about someone who found a Kid Delf at a pawn shop and since then I always look! I haven't found anything yet though. :/

19. Nope. You don't buy a recast EVER. No matter for what reason. Period.

20. I'd be kinda sad if I found out it were a recast, but the chance of finding an authentic doll for $3 is too enticing not to take the risk!