1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever renamed a doll?

Mar 10, 2012

?
  1. Yes! ^_^

2. No. -_-

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I ask this because I recently renamed my Kid Delf Cherry. I had originally choose Hikaru to be his name. But after awhile I decided he wasn't a Hikaru. I just didn't know what to call him. So I didn't call him anything. Then one day I was talking about him to someone and I called him Oliver. I don't know why or where that name came from. But I felt it fit him so much better. I think that's what his name was all along, I just didn't know and picked the wrong name for him.

Have you ever renamed a doll you own?

If so, Why?

Did it feel strange?

Did you get tired of the old name? Did it become too popular? Did it not seem like the doll's real name?

Would you rename a doll if you already haven't?

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called?

Did the personality of your doll change as you got to know him/her?

2. I don't remember what my doll's name was before I settled on Lien, but it was not Lien. xD I just didn't like the old name I had for him.

I wouldn't say it felt strange, because Lien isn't a character of mine; he's my doll and in a separate but similar category, haha.

I changed the named because it didn't...click. I guess. My doll deeefinitely has a life of its own. I'm not sure about the name part, but Lien certain has his own personality. Now, I don't really get that attached to my inanimate objects, and when I got my doll, I got one for the purposes for using it as reference for my art. HOW my doll ended up developing this personality of his I have no idea whatsoever, but it happened, lol. :|

3. I don't have a character for my doll either. I thought he'd be awesome for drawing and making things for. somewhere along the line I got super attached. I just thought he looked cool. funny how they take on personalities and worm their way into your heart.

4. My poor Moon has gone threw 3 (I think its 3 now) names until I finally settled on Izaya, I actually just named my Vampire Breakaway Hikaru, it mean Light which I thought would just be perfect due to the fact that light is the one thing that could kill him! I have changed several of my dolls names though. my minifee Shiwoo, has gone threw several names as well.

5. [[Edited.]]

6. Yes. Long story short I created a doll based on a person but I didn't want to name him with the same name (Chris) as the person because the name is so common and I wasn't very comfortable with people knowing how much the character was based on him. So I used a variation on my personal nickname for him at the time('Tickle'which I never used in public until pretty recently). The name (Tikuri) turned out to be way too forced. Now that I don't mind so much people knowing that the doll is based on him I use a variation (Sameth) on my new nickname for him (Sam) which is much better.

7. I renamed one I haven't gotten yet. But I did rename one I am planning on buying.

The Dikadoll Sleeping Rena I'm going to get I originally named "Mysti", but after I though of how I am going to face-up her and dress her, it didn't seem to fit. So now she's going to be "Noeline" and I think that will fit much better.

To name them though, I have a big notepad where I write down every name I come across that appeals to me, and when I decide on a new doll, I picture the face-up, sculpt, and clothing choices of the doll then I read the first name, picture them again, read the second, etc. Usually one sticks out like a sore thumb. And so far I think they are great fits. :)

8. I have not renamed either of my dolls - though I did rename a doll, but it wasn't a BJD.

When I was saving for my BBB Apollo, Stephen, I was really on the fence about his name, and I did worry that I'd be so undecided that I'd change his name back and forth when he got here. It would either be Stephen or Ethan; both I liked equally. Even when I was saving for him, in my mind, the names I referred to him as changed back and forth. Some weeks, it was Ethan; others, it was Stephen. The time for him to arrive was drawing nearer and nearer, and I was unable to choose one.

Heck, when I was on Tumblr, I made a poll so those who followed me (who were BJD owners/enthusiasts) could vote. Everyone liked Ethan, but I still wasn't sure.

When he got here, I just picked one, and I picked Stephen. Strangely, I haven't had an urge to change it ever since.

9. If so, Why?
      Sometimes, I change the sculpt I want for a character. I might also change ethnicity, and I prefer for them to have part of their names reflect their beautiful and unique heritage.

Did it feel strange?
      A little.

Did you get tired of the old name? Did it become too popular? Did it not seem like the doll's real name?

None of these.

Huh?

Do you feel as if your doll has something of a life of its own, a name it already wants to be called?
      No.

No.

10. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Actually I did.

If so, Why?

My Mad Hatter (EID Chase) was originally supposed to be a character doll. He was supposed to be one of my favorite manga's characters but things didn't turn out that way (he refused to be anything other than himself, the little brat!) and I was stuck trying to find a new name for my doll. For a while I called him Alex (based on Alex Mercer from the game Protype, mainly because Ethan's new wig and jacket made them look similar XD) until I finally figured out his name.

Did it feel strange?
      Not really. It was just a bit annoying because I had no proper name for him whenever I wanted to refer to my doll. It also made me not feel as connected to him, so finding out his own name helped me bound with him a lot.

A little of the last I guess. I did feel like it didn't fit him somehow.

I'm not sure what you mean there?

Some time ago I would have said no. Now I'm not so sure. The fact that Ethan protested so much in his own passive way make me think there truly was a name that was meant for him somehow. But I wouldn't go as far as to say it has anything to do with him being alive. :)

Yes! Now that he has shown his true colors I can say my Hatter is nothing like the character I wanted him to be at first. But it's alright with me, it make things more interesting and I'm glad I was able to bound with him anyway!

11. Have you ever renamed a doll you own? If so, Why?

Kind of... XD I never gave that particular doll a "real/true-name" because of his long complicated background
      but for many reasons I decided to stop using the nickname I was using for him and called him a single letter
      afterwards for a bit, then just started using his sculpt's name. It did felt weird for some time when I would post
      photos of him but I don't do photo-stories and the character doesn't actually belong to me so it didn't change
      his personality at all! None of my dolls are "popular" by any means so it really doesn't change anything from
      that angle either (people calling my dolls by name O_o;;??).

I don't think of my dolls as having souls or "life of their own." As much as I love them (and believe me, I love my
      material possessions they're irreplaceable jewels!) I think of my dolls as lifeless objects that come "alive"only because
      I want them to – through the why I portray them or customize them, not because they would be "alive" or have their
      "own-personalities"otherwise. I've never felt like the personality or name I chose for a sculpt didn't fit because
      the doll didn't like it, if it didn't work it was only because I didn't felt it did worked. ^ ^;

- Enzyme

12. I've changed several doll's names, especially if I change characters for them and the original name doesn't seem to suit them. It doesn't seem strange to me. Most of my dolls are named ordinary human names that I like, not anime or character-based names, so it doesn't much matter what I choose to call them. My dolls are just dolls that I play with, not real at all, except in my imagination.

13. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Frequently--they start out with dignified names and then over time they seem to aquire goofy nicknames..that stick. And people tend to remember the silly names better. :|
      (Owner of Noodles, Tori (bad plastic surgery), Hooters, The Umbrella and the Raisin (purple Migma).

14. Have you ever renamed a doll you own?
      Yes, my old Kid Bory went through many names, as well as my first doll. I haven't renamed Keisuke presay, just given him a middle name.

If so, Why?
      I think it was because I had a hard time nailing down a certain character? None of the names seemed to stick.

Did it feel strange?
      Not really, more frustrating than anything.

Yup

Um not my current doll. Keisuke's name has really stuck.

Not really. Keisuke definitely looked like a 'Keisuke' to me though.

I switched through personalities/characters with my old dolls. Which is probably why I ended up selling them.

15. I renamed my Doll Chateau Bella a few weeks ago. When I got her I had a hard time choosing between Noomi and Nieve, but in the end I choose Noomi. After a while however I realized that Nieve was the right name for her so I changed it.
      Also, her personality changed quite a bit on the way, she wanted to be something other than what I thought in the beginning. But I like her new name as well as her personality :)

16. Yes, but it was a disaster--or rather, needing to rename the doll (a 60cm Narin) was a signal that he reeeeeeeally wasn't clicking with me. Usually I'll try calling a new doll by two or three names for the first day or two, but if none of the names wants to stick, I know that my subconscious is saying "this one needs to move on."

17. All the dolls I have named themselves, so I haven't ever changed their names. I'd be thinking of buying a sculpt, and one day a name would just come to me, and I always have to bring them home after that. The only doll I sort of came close to renaming was my pukifee zoe, who is called Hope. I bought her after the earthquakes here, and had planned to use a word from a foreign language that meant hope. I'd been tossing up between three different words (I can't even remember them now!), but had been refering to her as Hope for so long at that point that it just stuck, and I never changed it again. It seemed a little cliched to me at the time, but now that I've had her for more than a year, it just stuck :)

18. I have renamed two...their names just didn't seem to suit them somehow.

19. All my dolls are renamed. Even if a slight change makes it feel more like mine.

20. When Azreal was an "elf" yder it fit. I sold him to a friend, she resold him to me, and one "ear" broke off. His human ear was fine though. So broke off the other, and had him repainted. Now he's Noah Falcon, but Falcon is what people call him.