1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever ruined a doll?

Feb 14, 2018

1. yes luckily not his face, or else i would be crying >< it was very scary when he fall :...(

2. Actually, resin (which is actually polyurethane in most cases) is a type of plastic.

I've never ruined a doll beyond repair. Sure, I've broken a nose, done some terrible face ups, dolls have been stained by clothing or I've had some mishaps with mods, but it has always been repairable. I believe it would take serious effort to completely ruin a doll to beyond repair. I've seen horridly damaged dolls restored beautifully. And that's pretty much one of my favourite things about BJDs - they're so nicely customizable and repairable. <3

3. I've left wigs on dolls long enough that it's stained their heads and I've broken the base of an optional ear peg, but since those are easy to repair I think of those things as light damage in the case of the ear and a neutral in the case of the staining.

Really it's very difficult to actually ruin a doll short of being too enthusiastic with a drill or sander or leaving it in corrosive liquid too long.

4. Have I ever permanently destroyed a doll? No. Did I leave a small trail of damage in my time as a newbie? Unfortunately. On my first doll I ended up not sealing her correctly before painting, so she got a permanent teal green tinge on her wings. My first dye job doll I ended up leaving in isopropryl alcohol to remove her second paint job, it leached all of her color out unevenly, not just the dye job but her original skin tone! Both dolls went to lovely new owners, getting a fantastic paint job that covered the staining for the one and the other one getting redyed to pure black skin for the new owner.

5. Thank goodness, removing the MSC seemed to solve the problem!
      It could have been permanent: that white ring could have been a "closed chip" where the resin is cracked but not all the way through so that the chip falls out. Closed chips happen in ceramics too often.
      I hope you have good luck from now on!

6. The only things I ruined were two wigs. Tried to trim them myself and realized I am NOT meant to be a dolly hair stylist. lol

I don't think there is any possibility that any of my dolls could get ruined. I don't do my own faceups and I don't take my dolls outside of my bedroom. They are all safe from disaster.

7. Something similar happened with my Bambicrony Kumi. In her instance, I was removing traces of paint from between her lips, and her mouth crumbled from the non-acetone nail polish remover soak. On top of this, the dye of the container she was soaking in came off onto her head, resulting in uneven dye.

However, the lip damage is only noticeable if you look closely, and the dye issue isn't visible with a wig. She's still a cutie, so i don't mind.

8. I've what I'd consider "ruined" two doll heads.:eusa_sile Both were mods that I didn't have a clear vision for and so I kept going, as it were, when I should have stopped and re-evaluated what I was trying to accomplish. I could technically fix them up and make them presentable, but I don't like the sculpts enough to be bothered.:P

9. Although I'm new to the doll world, I once ruined one of my first dolls eyelashes... I glued it back and thankfully, it doesn't look weird lol.

10. This is why I treat non-acetone remover as the same as acetone. My friend destroyed her doll head with non-acetone acetone. She was so upset that she grew the head away. It could have been repaired probably but it's gone for being so upsetting. We both properly use Winsor-newton brush cleaner restorer only.

11. I have not ruined a doll as I've only been in the hobby a short while but there was a close call or two , when I picked up my doll for the first time my dog started barking (another dog in our yard he wasn't happy) which scared me and I dropped my doll thankfully all ok, then just this morning my one year old climbed on my bed to get it and was swinging it around laughing as I was trying to get it off him once again by saw amazing luck my doll was ok besides a black mark on him foot that thankfully washed off

12. Oh man, I've done a lot of stuff, but only one thing that was "irreparable."

I've broken the internal skeleton of Dollfie Dreams, but I just replaced the part; no sweat. I've stained them too, but it came off with benzoil peroxide cream. I broke the zipper off a shoe, but it stays on without it (whew!). I've also had to reglue and resew things like buttons and bows onto outfits and shoes. I've damaged a faceup and had to send it back to be redone.

I did ruin a cheap pair of glass eyes though! I sent them to a friend in winter with my doll so she could paint the doll, and they developed bubbles in the glass because of the cold temperatures! Luckily they were inexpensive eyes that I wasn't attached to.

The worst was that once, while attempting to remove eyes that Volks hot-glued into a standard Nana, my husband cut the resin with an exacto knife, permanently changing the eye shape. He smoothed it out, did the other eye to match, and I sold her at a small loss. It wasn't the end of the world.

Most things are fixable, or have some kind of solution.

13. I've definitely reduced the value of dolls significantly (usually by wiping a professional/factory faceup to attempt my own garbo one) but I thankfully haven't ever like... ACTUALLY ruined the resin itself. I thought I chipped my Doll Leaves Vivian when she fell face first onto concrete during an outdoor photoshoot... but it just ruined my faceup. I was still heartbroken, but damn that girl is rock solid!

I buy a lot of pre-damaged dolls so I don't feel as bad if something DOES happen... :sweatI like a project, but not when it potentially wrecks the doll's resale value.

14. I accidentally got a purple stain on my dolls face up and when I removed it it left a white dot on her blushing :nowords:. Thankfully it was on the sleeping head so I could swap it out but it was one of the most heart breaking feelings. Now i'm always worried about the millions of ways I can ruin my dolls.

15. I left one unattended for like two minutes while I went to get batteries for my camera. During that short period of time she got ran over by a lawn mower. It was horrible!

16. Hm, well....my first Resinsoul Long head has been through a few things.

I was still getting used to working on resin after doing mostly prior customizing on PVC plastic, so I was still learning techniques to clean off faceups. Well...I soaked him a bit long in some isopropyl alcohol and roughed up the resin near his mouth a bit as a result. I also discovered a piece of resin from one of his eyes had dissolved after cleaning off a more recent faceup (I seriously don't even recall how it happened, just one minute it was there, next---it was gone:ablink::nowords:), which I was able to repair with some apoxy sculpt.

17. It was not a very big deal, but one time with my Illusion Muka, when I was triyng to change his eyeslashes, I have damaged his make-up with the glue. I was very upset ... ^^' But he left for a new make-up after and he his so much better than before that everything is fine !

And, an other time, when I had one Pullip, I dropped it in the garden, and make a little scratch on her face plate. :doh:sigh:doh

18. Today, I became really good with modding doll joints (mainly turning not-well working ones into actually working joints).

But that came at the price of three doll bodies I consider ruined. And almost a fourth one. Three of them were Iplehouse dolls. Beautiful to look at, but posing was unsatisfying. And a first generation Granado body. Not a bad body, but had its weaknesses.

I sold three of them at a much lower price than I purchased them. I still have the fourth body, an Iple SID male. Some people might consider this ruined as well, but now I know what I am doing. There are still aspects I do not love about it and will change in the future, but I need to do different things of the hobby from time to time.

As hard as it may sound, but sometimes to learn things, you have to have a chance to ruin something.

19. never:huh?:I cherish my doll

20. The first doll I ever bought is completely cut up, stained, and ruined. I didn't seal her face before, I would paint ight on the resin, and I would mod her to no end with a drill, box cutter, you name it. I have tried to clean her but her resin is so stained. I never planned on selling her so it isn't a huge issue, but she has such a nice sculpt I feel bad that I cant really do anything with her now