1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever think to sculpt (even just once)?

Mar 3, 2014

1. I finally buy every materials and tools needed :) Just need to endure for one more month and I can sculpt as much as since it is a long holiday! So excited that I'm admiring my new clay everyday :XD:

@Zuul81: The only thing you should draw is just the body and head blueprint, or you can download readily made blueprint and just alter from it. There's a lot available in DA and other website.

@lostkitten: that's is a quite realistic doll, though it's not a BJD, I wonder if somebody going to make a BJD with older face like your doll, so we can make a family line from grandfather to grandchild lol

2. I had sculpted a 1/3 male head before by using Ladoll clay.Since I am not an art student,the process of making a doll is a bit difficult for me.It cost me almost 3 months to complete it.Although the head I made is not perfect enough,at least I had tried and finally I did it.I find this thing is very meaningful.

3. Yeah, I would love to try sculpting my own doll some day when I have enough time because I always take forever to finish any art related project ~_~ I'm a perfectionist when it comes to BJDs, I'm always fighting with myself when I do a face up or sewing clothes and if time is limited I get extremely frustrated...so yeah...will probably do it when I'm old and have nothing to do at home XD but right now I can hardly see my babies and take a picture of them =( anyway, making my own doll would be a dream come true!

4. Dont have to draw. I never do. Get yourself some good anatomy photos. See where the bones lay. Make a vague skull shape from densely crushed aluminum foil and jam it on a "neck" made from a pencil and stuck into some clay to give you a base. Follow the photos where the muscles are. Build from the inside out. What is the worst thing that could happen? Go for it!

5. I've thought about. Not so much now, but a couple years ago I was serious about it, I drew out plans for the body (it was going to be about 55cm) and everything.

Then Doll Chateau happened. Their boy bodies looked exactly like my drawings - down to the joints even XD So I didn't feel the need to actually attempt my own anymore! I just bought theirs.

I still kind of daydream about it...I've collected tutorials just in case. I've done human sculpting before (in class anyway), and given enough time and space I could probably do....something....possibly decent enough to be happy with. But it's not my greatest skill, and I don't really have the time to devote to it.

6. Yeah of course, and still trying! I've made a couple of horrible attempts a good couple of years ago, then a full doll, Honorine, but I left it at my parent's house and didn't have the chance to finish it properly; though it can stand and everything!
      I'm trying to make another one right now, using Paperclay, it's so much fun. Thank you for talking about The Joint, i didn't know about it and I just registered, looks amazing!

7. @twinage: Thanks! I enjoyed making him. I have done a few portrait doll like Jackie Robinson, Louis Armstrong, Sojourner Truth, etc. They are poseable but not ball jointed so that is my next project. I would like to make older aged dolls so they can be wizards, mages, and sure, grandfathers and mothers too. Thanks for the idea!

8. I used to sculpt 3 heads in the last 3-4 years or so. I didn't sculpt for a long time since sculpting is very time-consuming and I'm busy with my studies. I want to sculpt more in the future, it was great experience!

9. How lovely, I look forward to seeing any BJDs you might make. That doll face has so much personality.

I tried once, with air dry clay so it was a bit of a failure. I'd love to try again, but it will be after the looooong list of other doll-related things I want to try...

10. Thank you for the encouragement and advice.

11. I have certainly thought about it when sculpt or body hunting.
      Sometimes I just can't seem to find a sculpt to connect with, there's always one feature that puts me off "I wish it didn't have this" or "I wish it was like this instead".
      But I'm in no way skilled or qualified to pull-off such a project, they will remain in my imagination.

12. I'm also not good at drawing, but that's not a problem. Drawing and sculpting are two completely different skill-sets. You don't have to be good at one to be brilliant at another. As long as you know your anatomy, you should be fine :).

13. I would LOVE to sculpt a doll. I've never done it before, but I have watched a couple youtube videos from people who have made them and it actually looks quite do-able. The idea excites me and I think if I made a doll, I would have to make Two at once so that one could go to each of my daughters. Hmm... Might actually start up some to scale sketches tonight... I'd love to see pictures of anyone who made a doll of their own!

That is so awesome! Thank you for sharing!! :)

14. I've definitely wanted to try it! Unfortunately, my talents seem to lie more with two-dimensional work instead of 3D sculptures. It may be worth a shot someday, though.

15. The thought has crossed my mind. I get excited seeing peoples casting/sculpting projects. If I did take the plunge, I would start with props.

16. I found that out the fun way in class a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't dare attempt a head, but the body I'm working on is looking okay (which came as a huge surprise given that I usually suck at that kind of thing) and it sorta gave me the idea to attempt a curvier SD-size girl body. The one I'm working on in class is ... more naturally-shaped than BJDs, even EIDs, and I'm all for the natural. Then again I don't have the first clue about joint construction and what makes a joint work and all that jazz, I can look at my dolls but there are so many different approaches I'm afraid I'd have to go with plain double joints with peanuts out of sheer cluelessness. I'd need an experienced joint modder to team up with :lol:

That's all just wild dreams, though. I don't really see myself having the sort of time it takes to really sculpt a body fit for jointing (the symmetry alone scares me, it doesn't matter with my class project since she's a statue, but a doll needs balance!) so it's not likely to happen. But it's a fun thought. :)

17. Oh yes I would like to.
      But I probably will fail miserably.

18. I actually plan on sculpting my own doll, as what I want doesn't excist yet... my girlfriend has a similar problem so we decided, to just make our own!

I am honest, I'm not good at sculpting, but you don't know if you can or can't do it till you've tried!

19. i have thought about it. i used to sculpt other things while a university, the thing is i am not sure if after 16 years i still retain the ability. i might find out some day :)

20. I have 2 heads, 1 torso and several parts from clay.